Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,475 members, 7,819,733 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:56 PM

Finger Print Scanner Is Just A Way Of Making A Phone Expensive, Agreed? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Finger Print Scanner Is Just A Way Of Making A Phone Expensive, Agreed? (2630 Views)

TH Has Agreed To Buy 9mobile, Nigeria’s 4th Largest Telecoms Provider. / Itel Announce S32 Smartphone With Dual Selfie Camera And Fingerprint Scanner / Think Your Android Phone With Fingerprint Scanner Is Safe - Guess Again (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Finger Print Scanner Is Just A Way Of Making A Phone Expensive, Agreed? by bongolistik(m): 4:50pm On Dec 16, 2015
As the name implies, Finger Print scanner is a feature mostly located at the back of some flagship devices that is built with finger print sensor and used primarily as security feature for accessing the device that came along with it.

With Finger Print Scanner phone, you can choose to set up finger print detection as the means of getting access into the phone and since finger print is unique to every individual, it personalizes the phone solely for your full usage.

Aside from that primary function described above, there is nothing much again about the use of finger print scanner in a phone.

From our point of view we can tell you that some phone users have not even finished using other security features in their phones like the draw pattern security feature or the input password method and now we are having the Finger Print Scanner in addition.

Remember that these security features can only be used one at a time, and that is to say you can choose to set up security pattern lock or input password or finger print detection as the way of gaining sole and full access to your device.

But now, here is what Finger Print scanner will do to that phone that you are about to acquire; if the phone you want to buy is having the Finger Print Scanning feature, be rest assured that the phone will not be going for a penny.

If the phone was to sell for, let’s say $250 without a Finger Print Scanner, similar phone with exact specs and performance but with Finger Print Scanner will definitely shoot up the price to about $300.

Finger Print Scanner was the major reason on why you see the price for Techno Phantom 5 very high.

And with all that, we conclude that Finger Print scanner is of no much value to a phone and just a way of making the phone very expensive. Assuming the Phantom 5 does not come with Finger Print Scanner, it will sale for about N58000 instead of N70k.

Just watch as the price of Infinix Zero 3 will look like. Am quite sure it won't sell for more than 45K and I will still go for Infinx Zero 3 ahead of Tecno Phantom 5 come rain come sunshine.

Over to you, are you ready to pay the extra bucks just because of Finger Sprint scanner or you will rather save those extra bucks for a desired phone without a finger print scanner?

Source: http://highteknology.com/2015/12/finger-print-scanner-is-of-no-much.html

1 Like

Re: Finger Print Scanner Is Just A Way Of Making A Phone Expensive, Agreed? by PhonePlanet(m): 5:04pm On Dec 16, 2015
Don't tell me you own that blog, cos this article is complete rubbish!!

Is fingerprint the same with passwords and patterns? No! Its more security for the user, for example, people like ask for you password or patterns, but no one would ask for your fingerprint to unlock your phone in your absence.

Plus what do you mean buy phones had not used pattern and password finished??

And fingerprint is not also used to unlock phones!!!
Its used to make payments and many other stuff

Infact fingerprint is more important than password or patterns.

Please quit bloging or writing of articles; its for people that make sense only.

3 Likes

Re: Finger Print Scanner Is Just A Way Of Making A Phone Expensive, Agreed? by bongolistik(m): 5:14pm On Dec 16, 2015
PhonePlanet:
Don't tell me you own that blog, cos this article is complete rubbish!!

Is fingerprint the same with passwords and patterns? No! Its more security for the user, for example, people like ask for you password or patterns, but no one would ask for your fingerprint to unlock your phone in your absence.

Plus what do you mean buy phones had not used pattern and password finished??

And fingerprint is not also used to unlock phones!!!
Its used to make payments and many other stuff

Infact fingerprint is more important than password or patterns.

Please quit bloging or writing of articles; its for people that make sense only.
Did you see any place that it was said that Finger Print Scanner is the same with password or pattern lock? And if you don't want to give them the password in your absense, will they force themselves into the phone? was your phone meant for public purpose? Have you forgotten that you can lose your finger print in accident or injury..you just blab because you want to talk without being constructive. Many other stuffs without name grin
Re: Finger Print Scanner Is Just A Way Of Making A Phone Expensive, Agreed? by bongolistik(m): 5:26pm On Dec 16, 2015
Mr Finger Print with many stuff, that was exactly how PC makers started introducing finger print scanner on systems and the whole thing just shot the prices of PC up. At the end, the finger print sensor will only just start developing useless problem.

3 Likes

Re: Finger Print Scanner Is Just A Way Of Making A Phone Expensive, Agreed? by Nobody: 5:33pm On Dec 16, 2015
Op, have u heard of Samsung pay?
Re: Finger Print Scanner Is Just A Way Of Making A Phone Expensive, Agreed? by bongolistik(m): 5:42pm On Dec 16, 2015
greenhulk:
Op, have u heard of Samsung pay?
And how many people uses Samsung Pay? how many country is Samsung Pay functional? Same way you pay high to buy 4G LTE phone that you won't use here fully is that same way you will buy Finger print scanner phone here and will never make use of it for Samsung Pay.

Ask those that purchased the Phantom 5 down here what they have been using their finger print scanner to do

4 Likes

Re: Finger Print Scanner Is Just A Way Of Making A Phone Expensive, Agreed? by Nobody: 6:01pm On Dec 16, 2015
bongolistik:
And how many people uses Samsung Pay? how many country is Samsung Pay functional? Same way you pay high to buy 4G LTE phone that you won't use here fully is that same way you will buy Finger print scanner phone here and will never make use of it for Samsung Pay.

So Samsung should make a special galaxy s6 or s6 edge for Nigeria because we don't have Samsung pay? Does it occur to u that some people actually travel and use those features when they are out of the country.
Also they should remove LTE from their phones because we don't have LTE in Nigeria. In technology world u have to be future ready. 2 year ago there was no 4g in Nigeria, now we have 4g, and I believe before the end of 2016 we will have LTE.

And these phones are not made specifically for Nigeria, so get that into ur head. They are imported, and those functions work from where they are imported from.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Finger Print Scanner Is Just A Way Of Making A Phone Expensive, Agreed? by bongolistik(m): 6:44pm On Dec 16, 2015
greenhulk:

So Samsung should make a special galaxy s6 or s6 edge for Nigeria because we don't have Samsung pay? Does it occur to u that some people actually travel and use those features when they are out of the country.
Also they should remove LTE from their phones because we don't have LTE in Nigeria. In technology world u have to be future ready. 2 year ago there was no 4g in Nigeria, now we have 4g, and I believe before the end of 2016 we will have LTE.

And these phones are not made specifically for Nigeria, so get that into ur head. They are imported, and those functions work from where they are imported from.

Hey don't sound as if Samsung Pay feature is rampant. For ur info, it is only available in two countries. Nobody is saying that they should remove 4G or Samsung Pay feature on smartphones, but also get into ur head that majority of phone users down here mostly spend their hard earned cash buying premium devices with scanners and the rest but have never used or will never use those features to full potential. I don't buy phones just merely because I know it has OTG, Finger scanner etc. But I buy phones with features that I will use to full potential

3 Likes

Re: Finger Print Scanner Is Just A Way Of Making A Phone Expensive, Agreed? by PhonePlanet(m): 7:50pm On Dec 16, 2015
bongolistik:
Did you see any place that it was said that Finger Print Scanner is the same with password or pattern lock? And if you don't want to give them the password in your absense, will they force themselves into the phone? was your phone meant for public purpose? Have you forgotten that you can lose your finger print in accident or injury..you just blab because you want to talk without being constructive. Many other stuffs without name grin

Dude what are you saying
Re: Finger Print Scanner Is Just A Way Of Making A Phone Expensive, Agreed? by Nobody: 10:38pm On Dec 16, 2015
@Bongolistic,i concur.Don't mind these guys jare

3 Likes

Re: Finger Print Scanner Is Just A Way Of Making A Phone Expensive, Agreed? by HyDef(m): 1:53am On Dec 17, 2015
Phones that have fingerprint scanners have failsafes.

If you can't get in, you can use a password or pin if you enable that feature.

Also, the Chinese make phones with fingerprint scanners that cost around $100. I'm not sure that they're so much a waste of money.
Re: Finger Print Scanner Is Just A Way Of Making A Phone Expensive, Agreed? by donhils: 2:54am On Dec 17, 2015
bongolistik:

Ask those that purchased the Phantom 5 down here what they have been using their finger print scanner to do
In as much as I partly believe what you're saying about fingerprint scanners; for me I think it's kinda overrated especially in here in Nigeria. However, the issue LTE is what I don't beliv u just mentioned. My dear it's 2016 already and with fast pace of technology in the next few months, your phone would look like a joke if it doesn't have lte.

3 Likes

Re: Finger Print Scanner Is Just A Way Of Making A Phone Expensive, Agreed? by Warlord3000(m): 4:07am On Dec 17, 2015
No comment
Re: Finger Print Scanner Is Just A Way Of Making A Phone Expensive, Agreed? by Youngzedd(m): 5:59am On Dec 17, 2015
HyDef:
Phones that have fingerprint scanners have failsafes.

If you can't get in, you can use a password or pin if you enable that feature.

Also, the Chinese make phones with fingerprint scanners that cost around $100. I'm not sure that they're so much a waste of money.

Have you considered other hardware and build quality of the phone.
Just a drop on the floor and the screen will scatter, just like Tecno phone.

It's not about media hype, just be smart.

Remember they're there to make profit. You can't have it all.

They can give you finger print scanner at low price, Check the build quality, audio, camera and ROM optimization, this aspects will really suck.

Same thing Elephone does. (I wish I could close this company grin)
Re: Finger Print Scanner Is Just A Way Of Making A Phone Expensive, Agreed? by bongolistik(m): 6:30am On Dec 17, 2015
donhils:

In as much as I partly believe what you're saying about fingerprint scanners; for me I think it's kinda overrated especially in here in Nigeria. However, the issue LTE is what I don't beliv u just mentioned. My dear it's 2016 already and with fast pace of technology in the next few months, your phone would look like a joke if it doesn't have lte.
ya I also agree with you on the LTE, but the topic majors on Finger print scanner
Re: Finger Print Scanner Is Just A Way Of Making A Phone Expensive, Agreed? by Nobody: 8:06am On Dec 17, 2015
bongolistik:
ya I also agree with you on the LTE, but the topic majors on Finger print scanner

Oga, if u don't like fingerprint scanner there are phones that don't have it and still have flagship specs, leave the fingerprint scanner to for those that like it. A lotus can go as fast as a Ferrari, but a Ferrari of the same year can still be 5 times more expensive than a lotus. Does that stop people from buying Ferrari? And just so u know, both cars will still not outlive a Toyota corolla when used as a daily driver.

2 Likes

Re: Finger Print Scanner Is Just A Way Of Making A Phone Expensive, Agreed? by HyDef(m): 8:41am On Dec 17, 2015
Youngzedd:

They can give you finger print scanner at low price, Check the build quality, audio, camera and ROM optimization, this aspects will really suck.

Yes, you're right actually.
Re: Finger Print Scanner Is Just A Way Of Making A Phone Expensive, Agreed? by abatically(m): 9:06am On Dec 17, 2015
Youngzedd:

Very funny. Look a bugatti Veyron will get smashed when u hit it against a wall. Same way a Toyota camry will get smashed. Even a camry is more likely to survive a crash than a bugatti. Yet a single bugatti veyron will buy 80 camrys. So does that stop people from buying a bugatti, or does that stop super car makers from making super and hyper cars? Some things are not meant for everybody, that is why we have options. If u can't afford an expensive phone there are lots of cheaper ones around.

2 Likes

Re: Finger Print Scanner Is Just A Way Of Making A Phone Expensive, Agreed? by Youngzedd(m): 9:50am On Dec 17, 2015
abatically:

Very funny. Look a bugatti Veyron will get smashed when u hit it against a wall. Same way a Toyota camry will get smashed. Even a camry is more likely to survive a crash than a bugatti. Yet a single bugatti veyron will buy 80 camrys. So does that stop people from buying a bugatti, or does that stop super car makers from making super and hyper cars? Some things are not meant for everybody, that is why we have options. If u can't afford an expensive phone there are lots of cheaper ones around.

I personally use Xiaomi mi3

This phone fall any how, but belive me nothing have happened to the screen. The phone is over a year now.

I still haven't found a better replacement.

What I am saying is that the build quality of a phone matters.
Re: Finger Print Scanner Is Just A Way Of Making A Phone Expensive, Agreed? by Nobody: 10:16am On Dec 17, 2015
Youngzedd:

I personally use Xiaomi mi3

This phone fall any how, but belive me nothing have happened to the screen. The phone is over a year now.

I still haven't found a better replacement.

What I am saying is that the build quality of a phone matters.

I get u. But it is no secret that premium gadgets are the most fragile ones. Ur phone is made out of polycarbonate, that's why it can withstand many drops, just like my old Lumia 920. But try that with an iPhone and see how many drops it would survive. To make the device rugged, they have to sacrifice beauty, that is why the iPhone looks a lot sexier than ur Xiaomi.

Take a look at Samsung, they normally make their galaxy s phones with plastics which made them very durable. But they got lots of complaints that they use cheap plastics, and the competition was going aluminium bodies. This affected the sales of the Galaxy s5. So now they came out with a glass design for the s6. The phone looks really gorgeous (one of the most beautiful phones around right now), but also one of the least durable.

My point is to make a beautiful phone, u have to sacrifice some durability. The market don't care too much about durability, they want premium looking sexy phones. That is why we have bumper cases to protect these sexy phones. Do u think apple will sell if they decide to make the next iPhone out of plastic like the Xiaomi mi3? Definitely no. Just look at the iPhone 5c sales, and that is why they didn't bother to make another phone like that since iPhone 6 came out. Also if Samsung had opted to continue with their plastic galaxy 's phones, they wouldn't sell much phones like the s6 is selling right now.

2 Likes

Re: Finger Print Scanner Is Just A Way Of Making A Phone Expensive, Agreed? by Youngpo413: 10:30am On Dec 17, 2015
Hmmm
Re: Finger Print Scanner Is Just A Way Of Making A Phone Expensive, Agreed? by Nobody: 11:08am On Dec 17, 2015
As we all know that whenever Stock ROM is been flashed into the Phone, all securities( pattern or pin) on the phone will be lost and the phone would be like newly made.
With fingerprint security , would the phone still maintain its Security after flashing Stock ROM?
Re: Finger Print Scanner Is Just A Way Of Making A Phone Expensive, Agreed? by Orator2383: 12:10pm On Dec 17, 2015
bongolistik:
As the name implies, Finger Print scanner is a feature mostly located at the back of some flagship devices that is built with finger print sensor and used primarily as security feature for accessing the device that came along with it.

With Finger Print Scanner phone, you can choose to set up finger print detection as the means of getting access into the phone and since finger print is unique to every individual, it personalizes the phone solely for your full usage.

Aside from that primary function described above, there is nothing much again about the use of finger print scanner in a phone.

From our point of view we can tell you that some phone users have not even finished using other security features in their phones like the draw pattern security feature or the input password method and now we are having the Finger Print Scanner in addition.

Remember that these security features can only be used one at a time, and that is to say you can choose to set up security pattern lock or input password or finger print detection as the way of gaining sole and full access to your device.

But now, here is what Finger Print scanner will do to that phone that you are about to acquire; if the phone you want to buy is having the Finger Print Scanning feature, be rest assured that the phone will not be going for a penny.

If the phone was to sell for, let’s say $250 without a Finger Print Scanner, similar phone with exact specs and performance but with Finger Print Scanner will definitely shoot up the price to about $300.

Finger Print Scanner was the major reason on why you see the price for Techno Phantom 5 very high.

And with all that, we conclude that Finger Print scanner is of no much value to a phone and just a way of making the phone very expensive. Assuming the Phantom 5 does not come with Finger Print Scanner, it will sale for about N58000 instead of N70k.

Just watch as the price of Infinix Zero 3 will look like. Am quite sure it won't sell for more than 45K and I will still go for Infinx Zero 3 ahead of Tecno Phantom 5 come rain come sunshine.

Over to you, are you ready to pay the extra bucks just because of Finger Sprint scanner or you will rather save those extra bucks for a desired phone without a finger print scanner?

Source: http://highteknology.com/2015/12/finger-print-scanner-is-of-no-much.html
it's not fingerprint scanner that makes a phone expensive other things contribute like the brand name, build quality etc

2 Likes

Re: Finger Print Scanner Is Just A Way Of Making A Phone Expensive, Agreed? by bongolistik(m): 12:45pm On Dec 17, 2015
Orator2383:
it's not fingerprint scanner that makes a phone expensive other things contribute like the brand name, build quality etc
wait and see the price of Infinix Zero 3 that will be announced and compare it with that of Phantom 5
Re: Finger Print Scanner Is Just A Way Of Making A Phone Expensive, Agreed? by mosjames: 1:05pm On Dec 17, 2015
bongolistik:
wait and see the price of Infinix Zero 3 that will be announced and compare it with that of Phantom 5
Might be the same price with Phantom5.
Your phone is more safer with fingerprint scanner
Re: Finger Print Scanner Is Just A Way Of Making A Phone Expensive, Agreed? by Nobody: 1:51pm On Dec 17, 2015
bongolistik:

Fingerprint scanner alone does not make a phone more expensive. There are $200-$250 phones that have fingerprint scanner. The things that determine the price of a phone are:

1. Brand: if the phone is made by popular brand then expect the price to be higher. If apple makes a phone exactly like the infinix note 3, then expect the price to double that of infinix note 3. And if infinix makes a phone exactly like galaxy s6 edge, expect the price to be lower than that of s6 edge.
2. Software and chip: phones with snapdragon are generally more expensive than phones that run mediatek. Also raw power is important. Also the amount of RAM and software optimization.

3. Display: phones with qhd display are generally more expensive than 1080p or 720p display. There are some phones with fingerprint scanner that are still not as expensive as some that doesn't even have fingerprint scanner but with better display.

4. Camera: when I say camera I don't mean just megapixels. We all know megapixels alone do not determine the quality of a picture. Iphone 6 has only 8mp camera but takes better pictures than any tecno phone I've seen, even the infamous camon c8 with 13mp camera. It all comes down to the quality of the lens and software under the hood. I won't be surprised if the infinix zero 3 with its 20+mp takes worse pictures than galaxy s6 with 16mp camera. Recently a test was carried out at android authority to determine the 2015 android phone with the best camera. Guess which phone came first... Nexus 6p and guess the camera it has... Just 12mp camera. It even beat the Sony xperia z5 ultra with 22mp. Coming at second is Samsung Galaxy note 5 with 16mp.

5. Extra features: fingerprint scanner, multi window, ir blaster, etc. But there are just minors in my opinion.
Re: Finger Print Scanner Is Just A Way Of Making A Phone Expensive, Agreed? by daphid25(m): 6:30pm On Dec 21, 2015
I think your phone is more secured with finger print scanner
E worth make e dey expensive na grin
Re: Finger Print Scanner Is Just A Way Of Making A Phone Expensive, Agreed? by 2kurupt(m): 6:31am On Dec 22, 2015
We can't all use the same phone, from the same brand, with the same features. This is not a socialist society, that's why we got varieties.

@OP you sound like one who is upset with technological advancement (quite an irony for a tech blog columnist, if truly you're). I'll advice you stick to your Nokia torchlight phones.

1 Like

Re: Finger Print Scanner Is Just A Way Of Making A Phone Expensive, Agreed? by bongolistik(m): 8:59am On Dec 22, 2015
2kurupt:
We can't all use the same phone, from the same brand, with the same features. This is not a socialist society, that's why we got varieties.

@OP you sound like one who is upset with technological advancement (quite an irony for a tech blog columnist, if truly you're). I'll advice you stick to your Nokia torchlight phones.
lol

(1) (Reply)

What's So Special About This Itels31 Mobile Phone / Why Not Buy The $109 Bezel-less Kiicaa Mix Smartphone / 5 App That Will Make You Real Money

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.