Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,845 members, 7,817,502 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:20 PM

What Is Federal Character? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is Federal Character? (28157 Views)

Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi / To Rescind Federal Character & Quota System: What Are The Merits And Demerits? / To Rescind Federal Character & Quota System: What Are The Merits And Demerits? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Federal Character? by Nobody: 7:33pm On Jun 06, 2009
Federal Character, is the peculiar character of a peculiar country, where vacancies are filled not on merit, but rather on the tribe of the candidate.

For example, if you have a professional who knows his clout and a fellow who knows next to nothing about the job, federal character specifies that this other fellow who does not know anything about the job should fill the position in other to balance the federal character.

It is similar to "catchment area".

Catchment Area is an area when one who scores 150 in the national common entrance can have an admision into the a federal governement college, but another candidate from a non catchment area who scores 400 would be denied.

Ladies and Gentlemen, Nigeria is sick!!

2 Likes

Re: What Is Federal Character? by obailala(m): 11:58am On Oct 14, 2014
noblezone:
Federal Character, is the peculiar character of a peculiar country, where vacancies are filled not on merit, but rather on the tribe of the candidate.

For example, if you have a professional who knows his clout and a fellow who knows next to nothing about the job, federal character specifies that this other fellow who does not know anything about the job should fill the position in other to balance the federal character.

Catchment Area is an area when one who scores 150 in the national common entrance can have an admision into the a federal governement college, but another candidate from a non catchment area who scores 400 would be denied.

Whenever I remember we still have such a toxic policy in practice, I just feel sick undecided cry
Re: What Is Federal Character? by Nobody: 3:37pm On Sep 07, 2015
obailala:

Whenever I remember we still have such a toxic policy in practice, I just feel sick undecided cry
An example is buhari's appointment where his kinsmen fill most of the position in his cabinet.
Re: What Is Federal Character? by ZKOSOSO(m): 3:49pm On Sep 07, 2015
Ahmadu Bello is the founder of Quota system, federal karata, catchment area boys.

The North always win in d struggle for the nation soul in term of opportunities and resources from south.

BTW. Welcome back! Noblezone has been missing in action!!

Na ban or sabbatical?

1 Like

Re: What Is Federal Character? by mbeheddy: 10:33pm On Apr 11, 2016
obailala:

My brother, that's why its difficult for us to move forward. Wrong people occupying a post that they know not what is required to be done. I pray we get it right very soon so that the generation after us won't know of the evil that has been perpetrated in this country of ours.

1 Like

Re: What Is Federal Character? by Mistmipher: 7:24am On Jun 05, 2017
I doubt if this country will move forward with such ideas.
Re: What Is Federal Character? by able88(m): 8:17pm On Jun 25, 2017
sick policy in a sick country. Nigeria need to be recolonised!
Re: What Is Federal Character? by mightyhazell: 8:21pm On Jun 25, 2017
Noblezone I te gokwa na forum aa! 2009!

shocked
Re: What Is Federal Character? by Dedetwo(m): 8:25pm On Jun 25, 2017
noblezone:

Federal Character in Niger-Area is institutionalized tribalism. It is a wicked form of government sponsored discrimination.

(1) (Reply)

Osinbajo, Don Moen At Taiwo Odukoya's 60th Birthday Celebration / Ben Murray-Bruce Drinking Palm Wine At Main Festival Today (Photos) / Bayelsa: Protest Against Supreme Court Ruling, APC Supporters Set Bonfire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.