Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,654 members, 7,844,131 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 03:26 PM

Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom (30128 Views)

Otedola Bridge Lagos Tanker Fire: Man Narrates How He Escaped / Lady Narrates Near Crash Experience Onboard An Arik Flight From Lagos To Ghana / Nigerians - Leave The UK (United Kingdom) ALONE!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom by JingoOAU(m): 1:12pm On Dec 19, 2015
Me wey dey use ordinary chilli pepper cook without tomatoes...

1 Like

Re: Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom by Nobody: 1:13pm On Dec 19, 2015
Bossforeva:
Dear humans of Facebook, I am tired and have locked myself in this room until I get all my work done. But, I am also waiting for my beautiful flatmate to come back because I need to sit her down and explain certain things to her. I will be very nice, because she’s cute.

Let me tell you why I’ll be having that talk with her so no one thinks I’m a bully.

A few weeks ago, I decided to cook Jollof rice and I wanted to use fresh peppers for it so badly so I went downstairs to a Sainsbury’s store and asked for it. They gave me peppers alright, but sweet peppers. I explained to these fine people that I wanted peppery pepper, not the sugary kind, still they looked at me like I was yanning dust.

Eventually, one of them said I had to go to the bigger Sainsbury’s to find “things like that”. If you’re lost, it’s PEPPER I was looking for like this o, ose!

Anyway, so I started the journey to this bigger store and it took me about 15mins to get there.

I looked around and all I could find were the same “sugary pepper” I found in the smaller store. Hia, I cannot trek this long distance and go home empty-handed o, I thought. So I asked the staff there to gather round, they did. Then I asked them if they had ever seen HOT PEPPER as in PEPPERY PEPPER as in PAINFUL PEPPER as in the kind of pepper that after touching, you dare not touch your eyes with it?

One started going through his computer, probably checking for “peppery pepper”. Another one kept picking up the sweet pepper, examining and putting it back. Then the third one said she was going to ask another colleague. I waited.

After about five minutes of standing and waiting, one man walked up to me and asked “did you mean chilli?” I said chilli o, pepper o, anyone, as long as it’s peppery hot biko, give it to me!

So they went to a different corner and brought their “chilli”, the chilli bu our Nigerian pepper. Odiegwu.

I literally bought all the packs on that rack because this journey cannot be wasted and I wasn’t prepared to make it a second time soon.

Now, can you see what I had to go through to buy that pepper? Okay. So I just walked into the kitchen now to cook noodles, opened the fridge and couldn’t find my peppers. Then my eyes just randomly went to the dustbin, and behold, there lay my hard earned packets of pepper AKA chilli. I swear, tears ran down my eyes.

I put my hand in the dustbin, brought them out, opened them all and put in the sink. I washed, put them into those kitchen bags and back in the fridge.

My beautiful flatmate must have been doing me a favour because the expiry date on the pepper packs said 14th Dec. Everything here has an expiry date, including carrots and onions and tomatoes. I honestly don’t blame her but this talk must happen, because this is exactly the kind of favour I don’t need in my life right now.

She needs to know that where I come from, peppers and tomatoes and onions don’t just expire, no they don’t. Highest, they’ll get soft. And when they get soft, we blend and still use them. There’s such a thing as awalawa, for my Igbo brethren. I’m sure they exist in other tribes too.

Oh and did I mention that each pack of that chilli cost 4pounds? Please do the calculation. My God, what else will she throw away now when I’m not in the kitchen? My stockfish? My okpa? Ogbono m? Chineke ekwekwana!

So, I am sitting patiently, waiting for her beautiful self to walk in. Bye bye nu.

-Uzoamaka Doris Aniunoh

This Story has been described by foreknown author Pa Ikhide R. Ikheloa as an “Effortless Luscious Writing’ and a story which can never be seen on books, but on Facebook.
http://starttells.com/2015/12/19/nigerian-lady-narrates-experience-shopping-for-peppers-in-united-kingdom/

i wont waste my time to read lies..... you should blame yourself for finding it in the wrong place and calling it wrong name. WHITE PEOPLE CALL IT "CHILI NOT PEPPER" .
You can also call it Chili pepper. what they normally call pepper is different from what you looking for; though still spicy but black seeds.
Re: Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom by Nobody: 1:14pm On Dec 19, 2015
grin grin cheesy
Re: Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom by 9jatatafo(m): 1:20pm On Dec 19, 2015
Usjimy:
Weti pepper dey give sef?

From the little I know chilli pepper is very medicinal especially for people with diabetes complication of neuropathy of the feet and also they are good source of vitamins

1 Like

Re: Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom by godoluwa(m): 1:22pm On Dec 19, 2015
damton:
No place like Home.
says who?

1 Like

Re: Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom by DaBullIT(m): 1:24pm On Dec 19, 2015
I remember eating a particular pepper ...

I couldn't breath for about 15 seconds ,

It felt like someone cut a vein in my lungs

Can you guess the name of the pepper ?

2 Likes

Re: Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom by Nobody: 1:25pm On Dec 19, 2015
DaBullIT:
I remember eating a particular pepper ...

I couldn't breath for about 15 seconds ,

It felt like someone cut a vein in my lungs

Can you guess the name of the pepper ?
crocodile pepper
Re: Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom by DaBullIT(m): 1:26pm On Dec 19, 2015
no
sonofananimal:
crocordile pepper
Re: Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom by worry359(m): 1:26pm On Dec 19, 2015
Next time ask for
"Scotch Bonnet Peppers"

They will then know what you want.

Re: Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom by miqos02(m): 1:26pm On Dec 19, 2015
hmmm
Re: Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom by teamobanabo(m): 1:26pm On Dec 19, 2015
grin
Re: Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom by mojounited(m): 1:27pm On Dec 19, 2015
Sainsbury, TESCO, ASDA, and the likes don't have our kind of peppers. Locate the nearest African/Afro-Caribbean stores and you'll get most of our foodstuffs.

Those onyibo wey go just taste small indomie pepper/chili sauce and be shouting "its hot". Them never taste cameroun pepper sha cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom by Nobody: 1:27pm On Dec 19, 2015
DaBullIT:
no
grinded pepper
Re: Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom by daywatcher: 1:27pm On Dec 19, 2015
Next time ask for Scotch Bonnets. That is what English oyinbo call atarodo/small peppery pepper

1 Like

Re: Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom by Nobody: 1:29pm On Dec 19, 2015
daywatcher:
Next time ask for Scotch Bonnets. That is what English oyinbo call atarodo/small peppery pepper
Hausa call it atarugo
Re: Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom by Nobody: 1:32pm On Dec 19, 2015
@Writer, just walk to any of the big stores and ask for "Scotch Bonnet-Ata Rodo". 5 pieces of that in a pack is a pound in Asda while about 12 pieces of it ll cost you £1 in Africa store.

If you have friends in London, they could get you £5 worth of scotch bonnet-Ata Rodo and that could last you for 2 months to 4 months as a single person.
Re: Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom by DaBullIT(m): 1:36pm On Dec 19, 2015
nope
sonofananimal:
grinded pepper

1 Like

Re: Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom by 2prexios: 1:40pm On Dec 19, 2015
Usjimy:
Weti pepper dey give sef?
that's canyene pepper,
pepper help stimulate the salivary gland to aid digestion.
pepper help deplete coronary blood clot, to free your arteries and veins.

1 Like

Re: Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom by Nobody: 1:41pm On Dec 19, 2015
DaBullIT:
nope
red pepper
Re: Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom by damton(m): 1:42pm On Dec 19, 2015
godoluwa:
says who?

says me
Re: Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom by Mpanyi: 1:47pm On Dec 19, 2015
Simply unputdownable. Nice write-up!

1 Like

Re: Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom by ronald4lif(m): 1:48pm On Dec 19, 2015
grin Me sef don taya these oyibo people sha. Every grocery get expiry date and they're usually valid for less than 2weeks. Initially, I didn't bother but as time went on I became uncomfortable consuming whatever the label said has expired even though I know doesn't mean sh1t.
Re: Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom by noleon22(m): 1:54pm On Dec 19, 2015
U no look for some of people wey get mini garden in their back yards wey dey plant all those our local stuffs that they come back with from Naija! Don't know about de UK sha, but u hardly see a full igbo family that doesn't have such in de US depending on the environment though!! Ndo oo
Re: Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom by teeghurl(f): 2:02pm On Dec 19, 2015
This is a big FAT lie
Re: Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom by Maski87: 2:06pm On Dec 19, 2015
Please don't give any white man Mouth Action after eating that your pepper
Re: Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom by Maski87: 2:07pm On Dec 19, 2015
Please don't give any white man blow.job with that pepper in yer, mouth
Re: Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom by bjdon: 2:07pm On Dec 19, 2015
What remote part of the UK is Op living in? In the big cities you will easily get hot peppers on any Asian grocery shop.
Re: Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom by kenx1(m): 2:15pm On Dec 19, 2015
Some Nigerians will b like " na when e expire e dey sweet pass"

2 Likes

Re: Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom by Nobody: 2:16pm On Dec 19, 2015
theshield:

i wont waste my time to read lies..... you should blame yourself for finding it in the wrong place and calling it wrong name. WHITE PEOPLE CALL IT "CHILI NOT PEPPER" .
You can also call it Chili pepper. what they normally call pepper is different from what you looking for; though still spicy but black seeds.

do you have to quote me with ur silly opinion.. So if am new to the UK am expected to know everything right?

2 Likes

Re: Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom by Nobody: 2:17pm On Dec 19, 2015
bjdon:
What remote part of the UK is Op living in? In the big cities you will easily get hot peppers on any Asian grocery shop.
not a remote place.. This Birmingham.

1 Like

Re: Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom by Nobody: 2:17pm On Dec 19, 2015
worry359:
Next time ask for
"Scotch Bonnet Peppers"

They will then know what you want.

she's been told that already.. Thanks

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Dana Air Slashes Fares To N7200 / Who Knows This Young Man Who Was Killed In A Fatal Accident In Kaduna. Graphic / Refusal Of Entry Clearance (uk Visa)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.