Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,998 members, 7,835,354 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:07 AM

Banks Stop Use Of ATM Cards Abroad #Emefieleconomics - Business (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Banks Stop Use Of ATM Cards Abroad #Emefieleconomics (52166 Views)

Banks Stop Cash Withdrawal From Overseas Atms / Dollar Scarcity: Banks Cut Customers’ Spending Abroad By 80% #Emefieleconomics / CBN Halts Branch Operations By Bureaux De Change #Emefieleconomics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Banks Stop Use Of ATM Cards Abroad #Emefieleconomics by Excellent7(m): 12:50pm On Dec 20, 2015
NavierStokes:

Now is the time to stock-up before we start queuing up with special I.D's and on particular days to get even simple commodities like milk. They said J.P morgan's delisting was inconsequential, they threatened and scared away oil tankers with discomforting requirements for crude lifting, they placed an unrealistic fine on mtn with their zombies cheering them on without knowing the resultant effect on the economy, resisted world bank advice on subsidy removal (as evident in their stand during their time as opposition with a knack for mobilizing zombies against any policy from the govt. Of the day) and devaluation and funny enough they will fall back on that as a last resort after all these trials and errors approach that we warned about, fai. Like the "proverbial fly when no dey hear word" this administration is hell bent on pursuing her vindictive agenda on the Nigerians that rejected them thrice at the polls.

A few months ago ( August I think) the issue was too much dollars in the system, and they ordered everyone to stop depositing or receiving forex, forgetting that in 2014 alone Nigerians abroad remitted over 20billion dollars (Osibanjo during canpaigns). Five months later the wailing is about dollar scarcity. How confused can the head be.

Everyone is now wailing, home based, diaspora, banks, foreign media outfits. The lying liars better come up with another term.

Accidents just don't, it is a sequence of events and actions.
I think they goofed when they stopped banks from accepting dollar receipts.
The guys imaginary or real they were hoping to stop, we were told packed Dollars, will be able to make huge profits now exchanging them for Naira.
That decision and subsequent ones must have negatively impacted diaspora remittances in my opinion.
I am waiting for data on that by Q1 2016
With the present situation, I expect the diaspora remittances to "by-pass" the CBN; more peer to peer transactions at arbitrary exchange rates guided by parallel market rates.
Some people are saying so we do not become like Greece and Venezuela, but I say we are already there. What we have is a time-lapse in perception for the general populace. After Q1 2016, it will be clear for all to see, when some commodities start becoming "scarce".
Re: Banks Stop Use Of ATM Cards Abroad #Emefieleconomics by Nobody: 12:50pm On Dec 20, 2015
Caracta:

Which bank gave you PTA in the last 3 months? The only group of people considered slightly were those on holy pilgrimages.

Or do you want me to show you CBN circular on suspension of PTA/BTA?

Please show me the cbn circular. Thanks.
Re: Banks Stop Use Of ATM Cards Abroad #Emefieleconomics by musicwriter(m): 12:53pm On Dec 20, 2015
obailala:
... A lot of Nigerians obviously do not know what is going on, a lot of people have absolutely no idea how close Nigeria is to a total economic collapse and the CBN and FG obviously isnt communicating maybe in order not to cause panick.

Economics 101:
The nation is import dependent which means there's a high forex outflow. The main source of forex inflow is oil and oil prices have crashed massively to an 11-year low (even though expenditure has increased massively). Right now the nation spends more forex (via importation) than it earns (oil export) and consequently, the stock of foreign exchange is reducing drastically.

These checks by the CBN are simply to prevent Nigeria from becoming Greece or Venezuela. The CBN is struggling to prevent a situation where the foreign reserves are depleted on ebay businesses as you say, or by people going on leisure holidays abroad and then in a few months, the country wouldnt have any forex left to import food to feed its populace. This is no longer about the CBN trying to save the value of the naira, it is about the CBN desperately trying to save the nationfrom crashing and this is certainly not the time for people to be going randomly on leisure holidays. If only the CBN and the government would just communicate more properly and let the people know how bad things really are, how close the nation is to total collapse, maybe we wouldnt have people complaining of 'no funds for holidays' anymore. People would rather be more concerned about feeding.

Just incase you didnt know before now, I'm sure you should now understand the picture better with my explanations above and you should now understand why the CBN is desperately trying to prevent the outflow of forex; it is to save you and I from the Greek / Venezuelan situation which is imminent in a few months if oil prices don't come up.

Cc: Caracta, icecomrade, dabriggs, kenny987, kennyman2000, ugolance, seggzz, 2sex, zuby77, jaid23, erico2k2, ecel, Iko5000, musicwriter, ifyalways, godoluwa, NavierStokes

Now this is another disturbing development. Things are actually worse than it seems, yet some people still complain they dont have forex for xmas holidays.

You're obviously a proponent of austerity, and you believe the only way this situation can be curbed is more and more ban on dollar transactions. This type of one-sided economics/line of thinking is what is worsening the situation in Europe, especially Greece that you mentioned. And Greek citizens aren't smiling.

Is dollar transaction ban the only way the CBN can manage the situation?. Aren't there other options like getting Paypal allow Nigerians to get paid dollars?.

Aren't there other options like encouraging export now, by giving 50% tax relief to any company exporting any goods out of Nigeria now?.

In fact, the long term solution is investment in science. Cause only science can solve the poverty problem of a nation. Only mastery of science will enable us export our own cars, phones, train, airplane, e.t.c to the world to earn dollars perpetually.

Why must dollar ban be the only way to improve dollar inflow to Nigeria?.

If you're talking about taking really desperate measures to save our economy, then the FG can as well legalize yahoo-yahoo temporarily, cause it'll surely bring some dollars. After all, when all efforts by Britain to colonize China failed, Britain inundated China with cheap heroin and cocaine to intoxicate the Chinese population and make them idiots who can't think straight. This to me is a desperate move, not strangling Nigerians by placing dollar ban.

8 Likes

Re: Banks Stop Use Of ATM Cards Abroad #Emefieleconomics by NavierStokes(m): 12:54pm On Dec 20, 2015
Excellent7:

Accidents just don't, it is a sequence of events and actions.
I think they goofed when they stopped banks from accepting dollar receipts.
The guys imaginary or real they were hoping to stop, we were told packed Dollars, will be able to make huge profits now exchanging them for Naira.
That decision and subsequent ones must have negatively impacted diaspora remittances in my opinion.
I am waiting for data on that by Q1 2016
With the present situation, I expect the diaspora remittances to "by-pass" the CBN; more peer to peer transactions at arbitrary exchange rates guided by parallel market rates.
Some people are saying so we do not become like Greece and Venezuela, but I say we are already there. What we have is a time-lapse in perception for the general populace. After Q1 2016, it will be clear for all to see, when some commodities start becoming "scarce".

Well said bro!!! Well said
Re: Banks Stop Use Of ATM Cards Abroad #Emefieleconomics by Fawklicant: 12:55pm On Dec 20, 2015
Bestbeelieve:

Its until their 70k monthly take home pay can buy a bag of pure water only that reality will set in.

Leave them. I'm noting their monikers. They will soon know how far. Same tactics, different decade!

3 Likes

Re: Banks Stop Use Of ATM Cards Abroad #Emefieleconomics by Nobody: 12:57pm On Dec 20, 2015
dapsonlou:
Some People will come here and start Screaming Dullard. The previous administration Looted all our Dollars. Even the Election was paid for in Dollars

Look at this f00l

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Banks Stop Use Of ATM Cards Abroad #Emefieleconomics by obailala(m): 12:58pm On Dec 20, 2015
o42austino:
I understand ur point but, will u use because ur nose is bad and cut off ur head?, for the fact that some schools and businesses takes USD as payment will not make u to weak up one day and say no one should keep dollars in his account. The best thing to do is to punish offenders and leave the Good people out of it, now u can see how low we are.

Welcome to capital flight
tefund:
one reason against forex deposit but is that enough reason?
The point is that, the dollarisation of the economy by allowing banks to accept currency deposits other than the naira, the dissadvantages and damage to the economy far far outweighs the economic benefits. There's a reason why no serious nation allows that.

1 Like

Re: Banks Stop Use Of ATM Cards Abroad #Emefieleconomics by tefund(m): 12:58pm On Dec 20, 2015
Sheggy13:

Especially the incompetent CBN governor, Emefiele appointed by your hero GEJ,who comes up with these laughable policies.
i think emefiele should be replaced asap... imaging stoping forex inflow into dom account...over $20usd billion p/a from nigerians and benefactors abroad deleted just like that...destructive school boy error if you ask me

1 Like

Re: Banks Stop Use Of ATM Cards Abroad #Emefieleconomics by rusher14: 1:00pm On Dec 20, 2015
Sometimes you see seemingly educated Nigerians who evade the truth.

Nigeria is broke.

Nigeria became broke because as a monoeconomy which enjoyed years of boom it decided not to save nor diversify.

When you have a boom as we did, you must realise rainy days would come at some point and as a matter of emergency you make the best use of your revenue.

Right now there's not enough bank balance to support our imports and this reflects in our currency.

To stiffle total devaluation some stringent conditions become necessary.

To keep the Naira afloat one has to prevent it from chasing other currencies by preventing "luxury" purchases.

A budget to stimulate the local economy becomes imperative.

This hopefully helps the SMEs which in turn leads to more export and greater revenue.

A good question to ask would be why are we even broke?

Some others might ask, are we really broke?

2 Likes

Re: Banks Stop Use Of ATM Cards Abroad #Emefieleconomics by Nobody: 1:01pm On Dec 20, 2015
Icecomrade:
Dollar is already 280.

Cut this channel out even when banks cant pay dollars to customers courtesy of cbn regulation.

That will be more pressure on black market bereau the change.

Dollar exchange will hit the sky .

Did this clueless buhari govt appoint a minister of finance who was suppose to manage this economy better than okonjo iweala.

APC = CHAIN
But the new minister just came in nah. Come to think of it how come the black market still sell currency?

1 Like

Re: Banks Stop Use Of ATM Cards Abroad #Emefieleconomics by Nobody: 1:03pm On Dec 20, 2015
Demmocrats:
To withdraw all the money before 2016.
That means dollar go scarce before 1st of January 2016
Re: Banks Stop Use Of ATM Cards Abroad #Emefieleconomics by Liamm(m): 1:08pm On Dec 20, 2015
2pointsonly:
anything concerning Nigerian banks books won't work... Provided You have Your neteller atm card..that should work.
(I stand to be corrected doe.)
like funding of neteller account using master card(of some Nigerian banks). Is it still possible?
Re: Banks Stop Use Of ATM Cards Abroad #Emefieleconomics by chuksmad(m): 1:08pm On Dec 20, 2015
only ss and se saw this coming
Re: Banks Stop Use Of ATM Cards Abroad #Emefieleconomics by Excellent7(m): 1:10pm On Dec 20, 2015
OlujobaSamuel:

I thought you will be sane enough to point out how it was the cause of the finance minister actions or inaction in office but I can see that you just want to use every means possible to drag the finance minister to a monetary policy issue.
I have no issue with you criticizing a policy, but you need to know the quarters to direct it to.
You are trying to portray yourself as someone responsible, your post says otherwise.
Also, don't be a critic for the sake of it, you can point out your alternative opinion.

Sir, no matter how you spin it we are in deep shit.
You might wish to channel the criticisms to whichever table you deem appropriate or more appropriate.
We are in a May day situation and you want to engage in altercations over semantics.
For over 6 months, a very crucial 6 months the economic thing was left to the CBN to handle in the absence of a finance minister, what did you say? What was you opinion then? Post it let us see?
When the presidency was making monetary/ economic pronouncements about Naira, where were you?
When shit hits the fan you want to add a spin.
Discerning minds know that the CBN is not making these pronouncements in isolation.
If the government is at variance with "CBN pronouncements" it has not been made known.
And we all have an idea of when these by fire by force pronouncements started.
Only a mad man dances without music.
Sir, please don't just look, please see!
Re: Banks Stop Use Of ATM Cards Abroad #Emefieleconomics by Nobody: 1:14pm On Dec 20, 2015
Some stupid najia guys curse it they have move to dubai with 500 atms withdrawing from atm and pos in indian shops with false purchases collect the money and sell to bdc guys in dubai at higher rates .the bdc guys in najia collect naira from politicans and govt offical locally then direct the offical to collect the foreign curreny in dubai for un ward lundering
Re: Banks Stop Use Of ATM Cards Abroad #Emefieleconomics by Nobody: 1:14pm On Dec 20, 2015
Liamm:
like funding of neteller account using master card(of some Nigerian banks). Is it still possible?
that's the whole essence of this thread. You can't make any payment(funding) with international merchants(foreign currencies). smiley
Re: Banks Stop Use Of ATM Cards Abroad #Emefieleconomics by tefund(m): 1:15pm On Dec 20, 2015
obailala:
The point is that, the dollarisation of the economy by allowing banks to accept currency deposits other than the naira, the dissadvantages and damage to the economy far far outweighs the economic benefits. There's a reason why no serious nation allows that.
i think blocking forex inflow into account a major source of forex for nigerians over $20usd billions is an error... i had to bypass cbn, compelled my foreign partner to send perfect money recently
Re: Banks Stop Use Of ATM Cards Abroad #Emefieleconomics by Nobody: 1:17pm On Dec 20, 2015
o42austino:
the way forward is to devalue the Naira, that we help halt the Naira decline but, his currently measure will only put pressure on the BDC chanel for Dollars and will force the Naira to reach #500 against the dollar before next year runs out.

Devaluation will increase prices and be hard on Nigerians.

Nigerians must learn to produce locally. That's the way out.

If you don't earn dollars, why should you w to spend dollars?

1 Like

Re: Banks Stop Use Of ATM Cards Abroad #Emefieleconomics by Liamm(m): 1:18pm On Dec 20, 2015
2pointsonly:
that's the whole essence of this thread. You can't make any payment(funding) with international merchants(foreign currencies). smiley
and to think I've planned to fund my neteller account next week makes this a bad news for me. Thanks all the same.
Re: Banks Stop Use Of ATM Cards Abroad #Emefieleconomics by Nobody: 1:20pm On Dec 20, 2015
erico2k2:

This is Sunday abeg I nor fit shout.we are dealing with adult.don't let us think you are not one.how can U say such a thing.if you don't understand the subject matter ask and it shall be explained.this is not about spending do laws in Nigeria but outside ie go to Ghana and use ur atm and go to Germany to use ur atm garrit? ??

This is not about spending? Yet you're here claiming you understand the issues?

Adult indeed!
Re: Banks Stop Use Of ATM Cards Abroad #Emefieleconomics by Nobody: 1:20pm On Dec 20, 2015
Billions of dollar have beee withdraw by this crooks in china and dubai now nigeria bank are finding it hard to settle international obiligation nigerian hate their country

1 Like

Re: Banks Stop Use Of ATM Cards Abroad #Emefieleconomics by 989900: 1:27pm On Dec 20, 2015
Fawklicant:

Grow some brains and stop blaming the previous administration for everything like your daura master. He did the same thing in 1983/84 when he took over. He blamed the previous government for everything and introduced austerity measures claiming Nigeria was sinking fast. It has always been his method. Doomsday economics. But alas, IBB took over Jan1st 1985 and everything started turning around fast. Infact he started 3rd mainland bridge the same year and started building Abuja 1986. Where did all the money come out from? Yes, the same 'so called battered economy'.

Some peeps here are too young and never experienced what we saw under the daurafool in the 80's. We tried to warn you, but you didnt listen like the proverbial fly. Well enjoy your CHANGE. IT WILL ONLY GET WORSE FOR YOU PEEPS, NOT BETTER.

Anyway you look at it, it is inevitable that Buhari will make history twice, in ignominy. I'm waiting for that 'aha! I told you so' moment.

Buhari and his economic team are clueless; to use the mildest of adjectives -- this is not the 'change' millions voted for.

This is madness!

OTOH, Babangida didn't re-commence the OBJ '78 abandoned 3rd mainland bridge until '88 when oil prices soared again.

'Serious work' commenced in Abuja after the Orkar '90 coup -- oil prices were just on the 'fly' then.

1 Like

Re: Banks Stop Use Of ATM Cards Abroad #Emefieleconomics by stonemasonn: 1:27pm On Dec 20, 2015
SMH, somebody in the forum said IBB turned Nigeria around; no wonder Nigeria is the best country in Africa; mtcheew sorry for you brother.

2 Likes

Re: Banks Stop Use Of ATM Cards Abroad #Emefieleconomics by Cotton(m): 1:29pm On Dec 20, 2015
i think blocking forex inflow into account a major source of forex for nigerians over $20usd billions is an error... i had to bypass cbn, compelled my foreign partner to send perfect money recently

To the best of my knowledge, inflows (transfers) have not been blocked. Received payment last week by inflow, so long as you satisfy the bank's KYC requirements. What has been blocked are cash deposits and local dollar inter-bank transfers

2 Likes

Re: Banks Stop Use Of ATM Cards Abroad #Emefieleconomics by 989900: 1:31pm On Dec 20, 2015
erico2k2:

Yes solution is devalue the Naira.Germany did it.the US did it.China did it.and it worked.

You just named 3 manufacturing/export giants.
Re: Banks Stop Use Of ATM Cards Abroad #Emefieleconomics by magicminister: 1:37pm On Dec 20, 2015
obailala:
... A lot of Nigerians obviously do not know what is going on, a lot of people have absolutely no idea how close Nigeria is to a total economic collapse and the CBN and FG obviously isnt communicating maybe in order not to cause panick.

Economics 101:
The nation is import dependent which means there's a high forex outflow. The main source of forex inflow is oil and oil prices have crashed massively to an 11-year low (even though expenditure has increased massively). Right now the nation spends more forex (via importation) than it earns (oil export) and consequently, the stock of foreign exchange is reducing drastically.

These checks by the CBN are simply to prevent Nigeria from becoming Greece or Venezuela. The CBN is struggling to prevent a situation where the foreign reserves are depleted on ebay businesses as you say, or by people going on leisure holidays abroad and then in a few months, the country wouldnt have any forex left to import food to feed its populace. This is no longer about the CBN trying to save the value of the naira, it is about the CBN desperately trying to save the nationfrom crashing and this is certainly not the time for people to be going randomly on leisure holidays. If only the CBN and the government would just communicate more properly and let the people know how bad things really are, how close the nation is to total collapse, maybe we wouldnt have people complaining of 'no funds for holidays' anymore. People would rather be more concerned about feeding.

Just incase you didnt know before now, I'm sure you should now understand the picture better with my explanations above and you should now understand why the CBN is desperately trying to prevent the outflow of forex; it is to save you and I from the Greek / Venezuelan situation which is imminent in a few months if oil prices don't come up.

Cc: Caracta, icecomrade, dabriggs, kenny987, kennyman2000, ugolance, seggzz, 2sex, zuby77, jaid23, erico2k2, ecel, Iko5000, musicwriter, ifyalways, godoluwa, NavierStokes

Now this is another disturbing development. Things are actually worse than it seems, yet some people still complain they dont have forex for xmas holidays.

Very intelligent contribution.
I am very curious to know why the cbn sells forex tobthe parallel/black market but not to the banks.
The major leakages are from bdc's and online trading.
Online trading leakage has been plugged but the cbn still sells minimum of 10, 000 dollars on a weekly basis to bdc.
I dont think they are serious yet.

1 Like

Re: Banks Stop Use Of ATM Cards Abroad #Emefieleconomics by Caracta(f): 1:42pm On Dec 20, 2015
Activa:

Please show me the cbn circular. Thanks.

I'm in transit. The CBN website is not navigating properly but let me direct you to the 3rd paragraph of the first post here: https://www.nairaland.com/2505146/cbn-bans-deposits-into-domiciliary

“The CBN advises individuals that wish to source foreign currency for eligible and legitimate purposes such as BTA, PTA medical, mortgage, school fees, goods etc. to do so through recognized channels with the use of Form ‘A’ for “invisible” and Form ‘M’ for “visible” transactions.”

As soon as i download the circular, expect more.

1 Like

Re: Banks Stop Use Of ATM Cards Abroad #Emefieleconomics by 989900: 1:45pm On Dec 20, 2015
The country is going to collapse if proper economic gurus and real time practical business men are not consulted fast! #fact

1 Like

Re: Banks Stop Use Of ATM Cards Abroad #Emefieleconomics by Caracta(f): 1:47pm On Dec 20, 2015
magicminister:

Very intelligent contribution.
I am very curious to know why the cbn sells forex tobthe parallel/black market but not to the banks.
The major leakages are from bdc's and online trading.
Online trading leakage has been plugged but the cbn still sells minimum of 10, 000 dollars on a weekly basis to bdc.
I dont think they are serious yet.

If they want to block all leakages, let them start from BDCs. Else, everyone would run to the black markets.

The real deal now is sending western union (outbound) to yourself few days before your trip so that when you travel, you can have something to spend. CBN should better block that too. Let us know we are looking forward to hard times.
Re: Banks Stop Use Of ATM Cards Abroad #Emefieleconomics by Nobody: 1:47pm On Dec 20, 2015
Caracta:

I'm in transit. The CBN website is not navigating properly but let me direct you to the 3rd paragraph of the first post here: https://www.nairaland.com/2505146/cbn-bans-deposits-into-domiciliary

“The CBN advises individuals that wish to source foreign currency for eligible and legitimate purposes such as BTA, PTA medical, mortgage, school fees, goods etc. to do so through recognized channels with the use of Form ‘A’ for “invisible” and Form ‘M’ for “visible” transactions.”

As soon as i download the circular, expect more.

This is not a ban.

They're only trying to make sure that only genuine requests for fx are met.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Banks Stop Use Of ATM Cards Abroad #Emefieleconomics by Caracta(f): 1:49pm On Dec 20, 2015
Activa:

This is not a ban.

They're only trying to make sure that only genuine requests for fx are met.

Thanks

I didn't call it a ban actually. I called it a SUSPENSION...temporary suspension.

1 Like

Re: Banks Stop Use Of ATM Cards Abroad #Emefieleconomics by dapsonlou(m): 1:50pm On Dec 20, 2015
josh4ever:

Shut up! So punishing the majority for no fault of theirs is the way abi? Grow some cerebral tissue please

If you know Economics this Would have been Easy for you. I live in US 6months of the year and 6 in Nigeria, my livelihood depends on Naira being Strong against the dollars. This Atm thing affects me, but I understand why it needs to be done. Naira is not stable, if you Spend 1000$ from you Atm at 240Naira, when it's time for your bank to pay the other bank, then dollars go's up to 280$ who do you think will pay the Difference?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Loan Companies In Nigeria & Their Contribution To Suicide In 2022 + Photos / Small Generator Ban: Does Buhari Hate Small Businesses? / How To Make A Huge Success Online With PPD

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.