Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,188 members, 7,811,481 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:44 PM

Breakdown Of Latest CBN Policy That Prevents The Use Of ATM Cards Abroad - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Breakdown Of Latest CBN Policy That Prevents The Use Of ATM Cards Abroad (5084 Views)

UBA Bans The Use Of ATM For Some Transaction Such As Betting And Many Others / CBN New Policy On Seized ATM Cards / Banks Stop Use Of ATM Cards Abroad #Emefieleconomics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Breakdown Of Latest CBN Policy That Prevents The Use Of ATM Cards Abroad by bongolistik(m): 1:22pm On Dec 21, 2015
The Nigeria economy is currently witnessing one of the greatest pressures in history which have seen the country's currency somersaulted from the sky to the ground as regards to foreign exchange.

With measures to cushion the effect of the falling Naira and the insufficiency of foreign currencies the Apex bank recently handed money deposit banks in the country a policy that asked them to commence the restriction of the use of ATM cards by their customers while abroad

Many folks out there have misunderstood this directive handed to money deposit banks in the country by CBN which will prevent bank customers from using ATM cards while abroad.

And so we decided to give you a breakdown of this policy in order for you to know what it fully entails and on what transactions are now allowed or restricted

Firstly, the policy will prevent those with Naira dominated ATM cards from using their ATM cards outside the country on all types of transactions ranging from withdrawal transaction to online transactions and to POS transactions etc.

But if your ATM card is dominated in foreign currency, let’s say in Dollars, you will not be affected by the policy while abroad as you can still carry out all your transactions there with your Dollar dominated ATM card.

Secondly, while in Nigeria, the policy prevents the use of your Naira dominated card on any transactions that is not in Naira, for example, you will no longer be able to use your Naira ATM cards to transact on online shops that accepts only foreign currencies like E-bay, Amazon, AliExpress, Godaddy etc. but you can still use the cards on online shops like Jumia, Konga, Slot etc. that accept Naira payment.

On the reversal, if you are using foreign currency dominated ATM card, you can no longer do a ATM withdrawal transaction with it here in Nigeria but you can use it to transact on those online shops that accept only foreign currencies.

For those with Payoneer MasterCard, you should know that your Payoneer card is dominated in foreign currency and with the present policy; you will no longer be able to make ATM withdrawal transactions with your Payoneer while in Nigeria but you can opt to use it on those sites that accept foreign currencies.

Now, what will be the way forward for those that still want to transact online with ease under this new policy?

Source: http://highteknology.com/2015/12/breakdown-on-latest-cbn-policy-that.html
Re: Breakdown Of Latest CBN Policy That Prevents The Use Of ATM Cards Abroad by lifestyle1(m): 1:26pm On Dec 21, 2015
Re: Breakdown Of Latest CBN Policy That Prevents The Use Of ATM Cards Abroad by knostbrown01(m): 1:27pm On Dec 21, 2015
Sai Baba don finish payooner users oooo

1 Like

Re: Breakdown Of Latest CBN Policy That Prevents The Use Of ATM Cards Abroad by okitikpo: 3:00pm On Dec 21, 2015
Only God will deliver us in this country

1 Like

Re: Breakdown Of Latest CBN Policy That Prevents The Use Of ATM Cards Abroad by ken13: 3:42pm On Dec 21, 2015
I'm still at loss as to how this new policy would strengthen the Naira against the dollar. Rather, I see it weakening a lot of businesses. God help us.

1 Like

Re: Breakdown Of Latest CBN Policy That Prevents The Use Of ATM Cards Abroad by barry40: 4:40pm On Dec 21, 2015
This will adversely affect online shoppers. Indirectly, the policy is forcing individuals to open domicilliary account. Another main constriant here is that one will not be able to pay cash into the domicilliary account. Double wahala!

Re: Breakdown Of Latest CBN Policy That Prevents The Use Of ATM Cards Abroad by bongolistik(m): 5:53am On Dec 22, 2015
You will be funding it by Fx transfer
Re: Breakdown Of Latest CBN Policy That Prevents The Use Of ATM Cards Abroad by ferhyntorlah(f): 3:42pm On Dec 22, 2015
bongolistik:

For those with Payoneer MasterCard, you should know that your Payoneer card is dominated in foreign currency and with the present policy; you will no longer be able to make ATM withdrawal transactions with your Payoneer while in Nigeria but you can opt to use it on those sites that accept foreign currencies.

I'm sorry but I disagree with the above quote. The intent of the CBN restriction is to control the outflow of foreign currencies from Nigeria as our foreign reserve is depleting. But in the in case of Payoneer, we are bringing in foreign currency into the country.

When you use Naira dominated cards on foreign sites and overseas, you are moving money out of Nigeria and our banks will have to settle the receiving parties but for Payoneer, you are bringing in money, so Payoneer or the relevant authorities will pay our banks.

In short, the money flowing out of Nigeria is WAY HIGHER than the money flowing in.

I stand corrected though.

9 Likes

Re: Breakdown Of Latest CBN Policy That Prevents The Use Of ATM Cards Abroad by stagger: 3:51pm On Dec 22, 2015
The CBN policy will only affect Naira denominated cards. I don't think Payoneer will be affected.

1 Like

Re: Breakdown Of Latest CBN Policy That Prevents The Use Of ATM Cards Abroad by twosquare(m): 4:10pm On Dec 22, 2015
knostbrown01:
Sai Baba don finish payooner users oooo
Yeeee, just know the intensity of the damage. This is too bad. @bongolistik, please explain some things to me, or anyone else that's knowledgeable about this. My question: Using foreign dominated cards on Nigerian Atms, isn't it serving as a source of forex revenue for the country?

Frontpage, puskin, naijacutee, FOD

1 Like

Re: Breakdown Of Latest CBN Policy That Prevents The Use Of ATM Cards Abroad by cheddargeek: 6:04pm On Dec 22, 2015
ferhyntorlah:

I'm sorry but I disagree with the above quote. The intent of the CBN restriction is to control the outflow of foreign currencies from Nigeria as our foreign reserve is depleting. But in the in case of Payoneer, we are bringing in foreign currency into the country.

When you use Naira dominated cards on foreign sites and overseas, you are moving money out of Nigeria and our banks will have to settle the receiving parties but for Payoneer, you are bringing in money, so Payoneer or the relevant authorities will pay our banks.

In short, the money flowing out of Nigeria is WAY HIGHER than the money flowing in.

It makes sense. It would be stupid for them to stop Payoneer MasterCard withdrawals because we are actually bringing in fx into the country and the Banks stands to gain alot as they will deduct their normal charges together with profits from the fx rate they have set.

1 Like

Re: Breakdown Of Latest CBN Policy That Prevents The Use Of ATM Cards Abroad by 190: 6:18pm On Dec 22, 2015
That's what happens when u vote in a Fulani herdsman

6 Likes

Re: Breakdown Of Latest CBN Policy That Prevents The Use Of ATM Cards Abroad by Abee79(m): 6:35pm On Dec 22, 2015
Are we moving forward or backwards as a nation?
#iwonder . . . lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Breakdown Of Latest CBN Policy That Prevents The Use Of ATM Cards Abroad by automania: 6:49pm On Dec 22, 2015
Just received a mail from my bank saying I can make international online transactions but placed a monthly limit of $1000.

Re: Breakdown Of Latest CBN Policy That Prevents The Use Of ATM Cards Abroad by bongolistik(m): 6:52pm On Dec 22, 2015
ferhyntorlah:

My dear, you tried with your logic, but what you don't know is that by January 1st 2016, all ATM in the country will be set to accept transactions from only cards dominated in Naira. And ur Payoneer is dominated in Dollars, so I repeat you will not be able to carry out withdrawal transactions in Nigeria with your Payoneer after 31st of this month
Re: Breakdown Of Latest CBN Policy That Prevents The Use Of ATM Cards Abroad by bongolistik(m): 7:03pm On Dec 22, 2015
automania:
Just received a mail from my bank saying I can make international online transactions but placed a monthly limit of $1000.
off course you can make international online transactions from now till 31st, the policy has not yet been implemented. It will kick-start by next year.
Re: Breakdown Of Latest CBN Policy That Prevents The Use Of ATM Cards Abroad by AmeLonRo(m): 7:30pm On Dec 22, 2015
Have a read a post where someone mentioned opening an account in Togo or Beni republic. I do not have all this type of transactions to do so am not bothered. grin grin grin
Re: Breakdown Of Latest CBN Policy That Prevents The Use Of ATM Cards Abroad by jimi4us: 7:32pm On Dec 22, 2015
I think #cbngovernormustgo

1 Like

Re: Breakdown Of Latest CBN Policy That Prevents The Use Of ATM Cards Abroad by ferhyntorlah(f): 9:56pm On Dec 22, 2015
bongolistik:
My dear, you tried with your logic, but what you don't know is that by January 1st 2016, all ATM in the country will be set to accept transactions from only cards dominated in Naira. And ur Payoneer is dominated in Dollars, so I repeat you will not be able to carry out withdrawal transactions in Nigeria with your Payoneer after 31st of this month

Okay.
Re: Breakdown Of Latest CBN Policy That Prevents The Use Of ATM Cards Abroad by Chikebrain: 5:37am On Dec 23, 2015
This will affect importation business greatly. As the ease of paying for your goods will be truncated. I see Western Union as the only hope (The ish is that there's a limit one can send ). How'd people pay for their domains and hosting for foreign hosting? SMH for this kind of policy

1 Like

Re: Breakdown Of Latest CBN Policy That Prevents The Use Of ATM Cards Abroad by Ijebulogic(m): 6:29am On Dec 23, 2015
This is a sign of a confused CBN running from pillar to post trying to prevent the inevitable with all these knee jerk laws. In the process millions of citizens are negatively affected. as we speak I am abroad with friends for the break - we all decided not to buy FX at black market rate in Nigeria but to use out GTB mastercards. Now we are all stranded trying to get funds across. I hate to imagine what people with medical bills etc abroad are facing at this time. The CBN should wake up and realize that our currency is finished and devalue instead of all this weekly policy change.

1 Like

Re: Breakdown Of Latest CBN Policy That Prevents The Use Of ATM Cards Abroad by mayorbch(m): 7:08am On Dec 23, 2015
Greetings,
I need a little help here! I've been reading all sorts of scary news lately about the uncertainties in Nigeria's banking sector.
More especially, the "prophecy" by different economists and financial analysts that 2016 promises to be tougher than we all imagine. Now my question:
Is it advisable to go withdraw my money from the bank, save it the traditional way, and then prepare for the worst?
I don't trust this bank people. Perhaps tomorrow, minimum deposit would skyrocket to 100k and the lying liars would start blaming GEJ while the yam eaters in power would tell me stories concerning my money.

Pls advise.

1 Like

Re: Breakdown Of Latest CBN Policy That Prevents The Use Of ATM Cards Abroad by bongolistik(m): 8:36am On Dec 23, 2015
mayorbch:
Greetings,
I need a little help here! I've been reading all sorts of scary news lately about the uncertainties in Nigeria's banking sector.
More especially, the "prophecy" by different economists and financial analysts that 2016 promises to be tougher than we all imagine. Now my question:
Is it advisable to go withdraw my money from the bank, save it the traditional way, and then prepare for the worst?
I don't trust this bank people. Perhaps tomorrow, minimum deposit would skyrocket to 100k and the lying liars would start blaming GEJ while the yam eaters in power would tell me stories concerning my money.

Pls advise.
You can read this to know how to cope in 2016
http://highteknology.com/2015/12/how-to-cope-and-way-forward-on-latest.html
Re: Breakdown Of Latest CBN Policy That Prevents The Use Of ATM Cards Abroad by kelvin4love(m): 8:57am On Dec 23, 2015
All these guys better be wise on time, if not NG will suffer a lot.

Or better still, let me just wake up tomorrow and it was all a joke by some idiots in power...

Mtcheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
Re: Breakdown Of Latest CBN Policy That Prevents The Use Of ATM Cards Abroad by ferpozie(m): 9:03am On Dec 23, 2015
ferhyntorlah:

Okay.

Hello I thought, With Payoneer, you can make transfers to your bank account. How is that done please? That may be the way out if the ATM is blocked. Alternatively, you can purchase items abroad, import them and sell them. Not exactly a short cut but, eventually you get some funds..
Re: Breakdown Of Latest CBN Policy That Prevents The Use Of ATM Cards Abroad by ferhyntorlah(f): 11:53am On Dec 23, 2015
ferpozie:

Hello I thought, With Payoneer, you can make transfers to your bank account. How is that done please? That may be the way out if the ATM is blocked. Alternatively, you can purchase items abroad, import them and sell them. Not exactly a short cut but, eventually you get some funds..

It was possible to transfer money from Payoneer to local bank account at the early part of the year BUT they later STOPPED it.
Re: Breakdown Of Latest CBN Policy That Prevents The Use Of ATM Cards Abroad by twosquare(m): 1:13pm On Dec 23, 2015
ferpozie:

Nigeria was removed from that feature early this year.
Re: Breakdown Of Latest CBN Policy That Prevents The Use Of ATM Cards Abroad by idrisalomagold(m): 3:44pm On Dec 24, 2015
ferhyntorlah:

It was possible to transfer money from Payoneer to local bank account at the early part of the year BUT they later STOPPED it.
please can people with payoneer transfer money to their domiciliary account here in Nigeria? At least if transfer to local account is restricted, what about Dom account?
Re: Breakdown Of Latest CBN Policy That Prevents The Use Of ATM Cards Abroad by bongolistik(m): 4:24pm On Dec 24, 2015
idrisalomagold:
please can people with payoneer transfer money to their domiciliary account here in Nigeria? At least if transfer to local account is restricted, what about Dom account?
no longer possible
Re: Breakdown Of Latest CBN Policy That Prevents The Use Of ATM Cards Abroad by ferhyntorlah(f): 12:08am On Dec 25, 2015
idrisalomagold:

Dorm account is still a local account.
Re: Breakdown Of Latest CBN Policy That Prevents The Use Of ATM Cards Abroad by bongolistik(m): 4:41am On Dec 25, 2015
ferhyntorlah:

Dorm account is still a local account.
no it's not
Re: Breakdown Of Latest CBN Policy That Prevents The Use Of ATM Cards Abroad by Nobody: 9:06am On Dec 25, 2015
I Have A Dollar Debit Card Provided By GTBANK. .

It works perfectly cool

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Step Should Be Taken If One Want To Buy Franchise In Nnpc Or Oando Or Conoi / How Can I Be An Accredited Cac Agent / Brent Crude Oil Plunges To $55 A Barrel Amid Rising Production

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.