Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,204 members, 7,818,694 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:54 PM

Fistula - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Fistula (1882 Views)

Ebonyi Tops In VVF/ Vaginal Fistula Disease Cases Nationwide - USAID / Holes After Birth: How 12,000 Women Deal With Fistula / 150,000 Nigerian Women For Fistula Surgery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fistula by cloned666: 12:10am On Jun 09, 2009
I have FISTULA situated around my scrotum/ anal area.

I have had it since the past 3 years now and I seem to be finding it hard to get it operated ever since then.

Visited some hospitals when I get pushed to the wall attimes based on the pain I feel, but the amount of money that is meant for the surgery is way expensive.

I know with time I can be able to gather the money altogether and have it done, but my main worry for now is that since this infection has stayed a long time in my body, does it have any kind of complications it may have left even if I have it operated tomorrow or later?

Please I need an expert or someone that has knowledge about this specific infection.

I am someone that believes in myself to an extent that I feel nothing can come between me and my future. But I fear if this infection could become a major negative impact in my journey to a successful life.

Please advise and insight is required.
Re: Fistula by cloned666: 4:01pm On Jun 09, 2009
can some1 please reply to this thread?
Re: Fistula by Oxone(m): 5:13pm On Jun 09, 2009
ANAL FISTULA
A fistula is a tiny channel or tract that develops in the presence of inflammation and infection. It may or may not be associated with an abscess, but like abscesses, certain illnesses such as Crohn's disease can cause fistulas to develop. The channel usually runs from the rectum to an opening in the skin around the anus. However, sometimes the fistula opening develops elsewhere. For example, in women with Crohn's disease or obstetric injuries, the fistula could open into the vagina or bladder.

Since fistulas are infected channels, there is usually some drainage. Often a draining fistula is not painful, but it can irritate the skin around it. An abscess and fistula often occur together. If the opening of the fistula seals over before the fistula is cured, an abscess may develop behind it.

Diagnosis

Diagnosis of an abscess is usually made on examination of the area. If it is near the anus, there is always pain, and often redness and swelling. The physician will look for an opening in the skin (a sign that a fistula has developed), and try to determine the depth and direction of the channel or tract of the fistula. However, signs of fistula and abscess may not be present on the skin's surface around the anus. In this case, the physician uses an instrument called an anoscope to see inside the anal canal and lower rectum.

Whenever the physician finds an abscess, and especially a fistula, further tests are needed to be sure Crohn's disease is not present. Blood tests, x-rays, and a colonoscopy (a lighted, flexible scope exam of the bowel or colon) are often required.

Treatment for Anal Fistula

Treatment of anal fistula often varies, depending on whether Crohn's disease is present. Crohn's disease is a chronic inflammation of the bowel, including the small and large intestine. As noted, the physician will often do tests to see if this disease is present. If it is, then prolonged treatment with a variety of medications, including antibiotics, is usually undertaken. Often these medications will cure the infection and heal the fistula.

If Crohn's disease is not present, it still may be worthwhile to try a course of antibiotics. If these do not work, surgery is usually very effective. The surgeon opens the fistula channel so that healing occurs from the inside out. Most of the time, fistula surgery is done on an outpatient basis or with a short hospital stay. Following surgery, there may be mild to moderate discomfort for a few days, but patients usually have a short recovery period.

Bleeding, pain, or drainage from the anus can occur with several illnesses, so a physician should always be consulted. Often the diagnosis is anal fissure, abscess, or fistula. These are problems that are usually easy to diagnose and correct. A variety of treatments, including surgery, are available to correct these conditions. Working together with the physician usually assures a good outcome.
Re: Fistula by Chizzyozi(f): 9:50am On Jul 19, 2022
cloned666:
can some1 please reply to this thread?
did you get the surgery

(1) (Reply)

Does The Female Vaagina Have Teeth? / Is There Any Cure For Staph / 16 Year Old Usiholo Bright With Hole In Heart,needs Just #2000 For Heart Surgery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.