Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,643 members, 7,861,985 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 04:13 AM

Sepp Blater Rants After Ban: “I Have Become A Punching Bag For FIFA” - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Sepp Blater Rants After Ban: “I Have Become A Punching Bag For FIFA” (417 Views)

Champions League: 170,000 Sign Petition For FIFA To Punish Ramos / Michel Platini Resigns After Ban Appeal Fails / Ifeanyi Uba Slaps Ebele Obi For Punching A Referee(video (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Sepp Blater Rants After Ban: “I Have Become A Punching Bag For FIFA” by asapgist1: 3:54pm On Dec 21, 2015

Sepp Blatter “I Have Become A Punching Bag For FIFA ” rants following his eight years ban from all Football activities by ethics body.

He stated he got the news about his ban in the news and believes he deserved more than that from the sports organisation.

Moments after Sepp Blatter and Michael Platini were banned for 8 years over a payment of 2million Swiss Francs which they claimed was not a scam, 79-year-old Blatter arrived at FIFA’s headquarters in Zurich for a session with the press.

Despite his illness, Blatter has refused to go down without a fight, claiming that he has been turned to a punching bag by the sports organisation.

“To say that it’s a good day for me or FIFA would be totally wrong,” Blatter began, and then launched into a speech about Mandela, celebrating humanity and how unfair it was that the media got news of the ban even before the persons involved.

“I am sorry. I am sorry that I am still somewhere a punching ball. I am sorry that as president of FIFA I am a punching ball. I am sorry for football. I am sorry for the 400+ FIFA members. I’m sorry. I am sorry about how I am treated in this world of humanitarian qualities.”

Then he launched into the history of the supposed scam, explaining that the FIFA committee knew about the verbal agreement back in 1998.

“We thought we had convinced the panel about the situation, the payment between the FIFA president and Michael Platini of an ongoing contract that was never terminated. We thought we were in the clear. We are in a so-called gentleman’s agreement. This was made in ’98 just after the World Cup when Platini approached me and said he would like to work for FIFA. He said ‘I am a very expensive man.’ I said, ‘that’s ok we cannot pay you now, we will pay you later.’ What astonished me is that they [FIFA ethics committee] deny the existence of this agreement.”

“In the FIFA books you can have written or verbal agreements. I will fight for me and I will fight for FIFA. I am suspended for eight years for what?”

He stated his plans to appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport. “I will use the sporting justice to go forwards,” he said. “We go once again to the sport committee and to the Swiss courts. I’m a Swiss citizen. In the Swiss law if you are suspended for eight years you must have committed something very, very important.”

Blatter, who served FIFA for 41 years, said, “I am ashamed that the committee goes against the evidence that is presented.” He also made it clear that he is still FIFA President until the next elections.

When he was asked if things might have turned out differently had USA won the slot to host the world cup in 2022, Blatter said, “I don’t think that the ethics committee has some links with the United States.”

Finally, on the subject of his health, he simply said, “I am doing better. I’ll be back.”

http://www.asapgist.com/sepp-blater-rants-after-ban-i-have-become-a-punching-bag-for-fifa/
Re: Sepp Blater Rants After Ban: “I Have Become A Punching Bag For FIFA” by nusta(m): 4:02pm On Dec 21, 2015
Do you want to die as a serving FIFA president? Serving the remaining part of your life in prison won't be a bad idea.

(1) (Reply)

Katy Perry, Whitney Houston & More: Is This Why Arsenal Are Title Favourites? / Norwich 0 - 3 Manchester City --- WATCH HIGHLIGHT / Heat Transmission

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.