Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,144 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:08 AM

Suing My University To Court: Any Hope Of Justice? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Suing My University To Court: Any Hope Of Justice? (5988 Views)

10 Year Old Nigerian Girl Accepted In Uk University To Study Maths Degree / Students Caught In PDA At Babcock University To Be Punished - School Memo / Redeemers University To Suspend 22 Students For Not Attending Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Suing My University To Court: Any Hope Of Justice? by loftihopes: 5:59am On Jun 09, 2009
fellow nairalanders .
i need advice concerning a critical decision i contemplate taking.
the bible says in the midst of councillor or so a plan is established .
my story.
i got admitted to a nigerian university on merit.
unfortunately, i'm just getting my result some days back- a measly 3rd class!!
and its coming 12yrs behind time.

i completed the program in '03 with writing of my project and looked forward to
doing a postgraduate cuz i knew my outing was bad.
but the school did shit and wasted my time so that its only by God's grace that the degree is coming out
now - too bad.

done their mba,
doing their phd
while for the 5 years/6 sessions i've been dealing with an indolent department that doesnt care whether my data is lost or not
the result is
that i'm now ineligible for NYSC,
and i still have more years of wrk to transform the degree into sth meaninful
its a 3rd c
if ASUU has a problem the whole nation doesnt sleep
but a fellow who should have been completing 2nd and 3rd degrees is just been handed his "paper"
cuz a shitty department said they "couldnt find his scores" for 5 freaking years .
I want to file for damages in a nigerian law court
and would like to know if i can get just ice.
at least to the tune of a 1billion naira.

A lawyr told me nigerian courst dont deal on trivialities - is t his so.
peace.
need your view points.
cheers.
Re: Suing My University To Court: Any Hope Of Justice? by iniguy(m): 9:02am On Jun 10, 2009
Your story is touching, is it really true. Okay do you have records of your cgpa for each of the years you spent? have u tried petitioning your university senate over the matter, you said you've done an mba and a phd, hmm i smell inconsistency here. If you've got hard evidence then you can go ahead and sue, but for one billion naira?
Re: Suing My University To Court: Any Hope Of Justice? by kevoh(m): 2:09pm On Jun 10, 2009
I'm not a lawyer but I don't agree with you suing for over a billion Naira isn't that amount too much?, I'm sure you don't want the judge presiding over the case to think you are in it just for the money, think about this
Re: Suing My University To Court: Any Hope Of Justice? by Nezan(m): 2:18pm On Jun 10, 2009
I think this is a good case. Seek legal advice from a competent lawyer, please.
Re: Suing My University To Court: Any Hope Of Justice? by MissEZ(f): 2:40pm On Jun 10, 2009
loftihopes there are a lot of loopholes in your story. First u said ur result is 12 years late, yet u graduated in 2003. u also said that u wanted to do a post graduate because u knew ur grades werent that good. You further said u have done their MBA and you are doing a PHD (except i am not understanding your story well).

First and foremost, if you knew ur result was bad, then maybe it was worse than you expected.

two, how did u get admitted for an MBA and PHD without an undergraduate result?

three, Which university did u go to?

finally, how did you come about wanting to sue for one billion naira?

Nawa for you o, how much did you pay for your years in school? to be able to sue for that amount, you need to be able to prove that your grades were alot better than what you were given and also that during the time the university wasted in getting your result to you, you could have gotten a good job and earned a high salary. that is the only way u can claim that amount.

lets be reasonable here, a third class is not the end of the world. A friend of mine works for honeywell and she had a third class.

I suggest u abandon ur court case because it will be a waste of money, time and resources. Instead use that money to enroll in a postgraduate diploma. if you do well in it, you can add an additional three months or five to upgrade ur certificate to a masters (depends on the University, do ur research)

I dont know what transpired between you and the University, but i suggest u dont waste anytime with them, instead begin to invest in ur future. if you go ahead with your court case, u most likely will lose out.
Re: Suing My University To Court: Any Hope Of Justice? by TayoUK(m): 2:43pm On Jun 10, 2009
I think you have a good case if you have enough evidence to back up your story. A whole Uni shouldn't be able to get away with such mistake but then, it's Naija, where anything is possible.

Give it a try but 1bn naira seems outrageous to me, how do you come up with that figure? Seek legal advise and I'm sure your solicitor and his legal team should be able to tell you the amount that is really feasible for that type of case and they might even tell you to go for more than a billion naira because it's their field and they know better.

Good luck!
Re: Suing My University To Court: Any Hope Of Justice? by ireke(m): 2:44pm On Jun 10, 2009
I can't remember the details but a lady once sued her university and won. I think the univerity said she used fake results to gain admission or so, and she was to be expelled when she was already in her final year but she sued on the grounds that the result she gave the university was exactly what WAEC gave her and the school had enough time investigate the matter before she got to the final year. I think she won. My point is that you can sue the university.

However, it is not the university's fault that you graduated with a 3rd class, they wasted your time alright but you need to convince the court that you failed to get a job because of that. Also, you need to calculate how much you have made during the period considering the fact that you would have been going around with a 3rd class degree. I think what you have been doing during the down time could also strenghten your case for compensation. I'll say a few millions will be more reasonable than 1 billion naira.

Meanwhile, their counsel will remind the court that there are many people without university education that are gainfully employed, there also university graduates with better grades than yours that are still jobless so it will be tough to deduce that your situation is a direct consquence of their action/inaction

talk to your lawyer sha.
Re: Suing My University To Court: Any Hope Of Justice? by mafolayomi(f): 2:56pm On Jun 10, 2009
smiley smiley smiley. are you sure you will have that kind of time undecided
Re: Suing My University To Court: Any Hope Of Justice? by lawyer(m): 3:30pm On Jun 10, 2009
Yes o! Talk to your Lawyer o! grin
Re: Suing My University To Court: Any Hope Of Justice? by rasputinn(m): 3:50pm On Jun 10, 2009
These universities again,I thought of suing one of them when a sloppy lecturer misplaced my younger sis' result and she was asked to repeat the course.I was livid,aside from the money I had to spend on the venture again,the time lost,the risks involved etc etc,hissssss

I'd say it's about time we started suing their behinds angry angry
Re: Suing My University To Court: Any Hope Of Justice? by chbabs(m): 5:00pm On Jun 10, 2009
Just a pathetic story. Wonder why you will want to go out of naija on scholarhip and they will be asking for a 1st class before you can be eligible. No thanks to our so called Profs. Docs, the HoD's all the rest of them, getting those titles is what that matters to them, they no longer care for being a tutor not to talk of being a father to students.

Check out how they carry out their functions, you'll find out that they only come to school one day in a week to have lectures, find out what they do out there, business? money, that's what matters.

Come to think of it, one of my friends that we both grad together in 2005, just went back to our school for his transcript for his masters. The shocker of his life came that day when he was told he has a 100 level course outstanding on him, so he should come back to school and re-write the paper before he could get the transcript. 4 years after grad, passed out service year in 2007, started working in 2008, now back 100 level.

Will you find his story interesting too? Or should he join you in his law suit?

Naija "Lawa" Ore. everything just goes wrong one way.
Re: Suing My University To Court: Any Hope Of Justice? by otokx(m): 5:21pm On Jun 10, 2009
With your narration above a 3rd class is even too good for you. The story makes no sense; please go back to primary school.
Re: Suing My University To Court: Any Hope Of Justice? by abhosts(m): 5:35pm On Jun 10, 2009
An MBA is a Professional Degree. So how could it have qualified you for a Doctorate Degree programme?

One of those fictional Nairaland Posters I guess.
Re: Suing My University To Court: Any Hope Of Justice? by MissEZ(f): 5:39pm On Jun 10, 2009
I know that the Nigerian University system is unstable, but why do people wait till the last minute to check their result. when i was in the University, i used to make sure that i checked my grade at the end of every semester and i kept a record so that i wont get screwed over.

I also know that sometimes students are not as straight forward as they profess to be. The lecturers too have their own issues. But several times i have helped record student grades after i graduated from the University and it is sad to say this, but most people do not write their matric numbers legibly, some of them have different numbers on their Continuous Assessment scripts and exam scripts. some of them do not even have CA scores, most times this often leads to them having an incomplete grade. I have seen cases where some students dont even take the time to register for courses and therefore they dont show up on the grade sheet. they in turn will accuse the lecturer for loosing their scripts when they dint even register in the first place.

As much as we want to blame it on the University, who by the way are not free from blame, we must also agree that students need to start taking responsibility for their education. Pay more attention to going to class and doing assignments as against partying and clubbing.

Its unfortunate that some hard working students get screwed by the university and i sympathize with such students. But i still maintain that i still do not understand this persons plight.

I still think that since he graduated, he should look for ways to improve on what he has, rather than waste time going to court
Re: Suing My University To Court: Any Hope Of Justice? by NosaHenry(m): 6:18pm On Jun 10, 2009
loftihopes:

fellow nairalanders .
my story.
and its coming 12yrs behind time[/color][color=#990000].

but the school did shit and wasted my time so that its only by God's grace that the degree is coming out
now - too bad.

done their mba,
doing their phd
while for the 5 years/6 sessions i've been dealing with an indolent department that doesnt care whether my data is lost or not
the result is
its a 3rd c
but a fellow who should have been completing 2nd and 3rd degrees is just been handed his "paper"
cuz a shitty department said they "couldnt find his scores" for 5 freaking years .

peace.
need your view points.
cheers.

I can see where your 3rd class is coming from, there are series of inconsistencies in your statement that it will not take any judge with minimal experience one second to throw out your case.
Go and upgrade yourself and move on with your life.
Re: Suing My University To Court: Any Hope Of Justice? by shesi(m): 6:29pm On Jun 10, 2009
An MBA is a Professional Degree. So how could it have qualified you for a Doctorate Degree programme?

One of those fictional Nairaland Posters I guess.  

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a better question is how he got into the MBA in the first place without a bachelors or work experience (unless i miunderstood his post)

you don't necessarily need a masters to get into  a PhD. I got into a PhD program directly after my bachelors. But maybe the system in nigeria is different idk.

@ poster, sure you can sue. forget about the 3rd class sef, you can sue them purely for misplacing your records and thereby delaying your degree for 5 years. If you can prove that, you have a case. everything else is secondary. your grades don't matter here, and i would be quite amazed to see a counsel for a university arguing that people get jobs all the time without university degrees, that would be quite stupid for a university to argue that.

i don't know about 1bn N though,what's that, like 10mil US? lol, dude, anyway, only you know your value and what exactly you were planning to do with the degree so nobody can tell you it's too much. ppl make 10mil in 5 years all the time. why not you? lol.
Re: Suing My University To Court: Any Hope Of Justice? by nnaemmy(m): 6:41pm On Jun 10, 2009
yes, i believe u can sue them if u hav enof evidence, but don't claim damages to the tune of a billion if u really want to be heard.
Re: Suing My University To Court: Any Hope Of Justice? by kaboninc(m): 6:57pm On Jun 10, 2009
Guy, I dont know whether to blame you or the school. I entered school just last year, i.e a 100 level student, and in ALL of our orientation programmes they've always advised us to be carefull with our courses. We all know that staffs in federal universities are all government workers and they do things the way they like. And the worst part in going to court. Thats funny! There's noting you can do about it unless you would have to protest. Good luck.
Re: Suing My University To Court: Any Hope Of Justice? by Owugal(f): 7:19pm On Jun 10, 2009
I think you should sue ( as opposed to (a)assassinating the profs, (b)doing juju for them and (c) doing absolutely nothing) if not for you at least for people like you in the future. but yes get legal advice. wow 5 years. if they did that to me here I would be rich!!!!!

but thats really bad. even if you dont sue, you should at least challenge the results. I am sure there was a mistake somewhere. these americans make mistakes talk less of nigeria the mother of mistake making. so good luck to you, i hope you suceed in your endeavors and i hope you can change your outcome.
Re: Suing My University To Court: Any Hope Of Justice? by Oxone(m): 7:53pm On Jun 10, 2009
some students have done just that & won the case, i believe you have a good one
Re: Suing My University To Court: Any Hope Of Justice? by ToToChoper: 7:54pm On Jun 10, 2009
1 billion naira? wink 

Let me point out that even inmates wrongly imprisoned rarely receive such monetary settlements.

As a student, having your deserving GPA should be more important than any other compensation.

It is unequivocally apparent that your focus is yet an "olodo's option" to securing a decent job.

Bros, take heed to the oft-quoted truism: there is no free lunch!!!
Re: Suing My University To Court: Any Hope Of Justice? by Bossman(m): 7:58pm On Jun 10, 2009
Please excuse me.  I really could not understand most of what you wrote. I am surprised this stuff is coming from a university graduate. Nothing against you personally though, because I have seen worse writing skills from some so-called college graduates in these forums.

Good luck to you anyway.
Re: Suing My University To Court: Any Hope Of Justice? by hackney(m): 10:23pm On Jun 10, 2009
Well said Miss EZ.
In my opinion, his story though sad when you eventually understand it, is completely riddled
with loop holes and time ranges that dont add up at all.
The text is so poorly structured that it's appalling that he has acquired all these academic milestones
and still can't string a sentence together.

Above and beyond this, i wish him goodluck in all his positive pursuits.

P.S : Bossman , well spotted. The collapse of good written english  (terrible tenses) makes one wonder what has become of our youths' quality of education. it looks like for proficiency in English, one has to go back to the '60s education in Nigeria or go abroad.
What a shame.
Re: Suing My University To Court: Any Hope Of Justice? by md4real(m): 11:18pm On Jun 10, 2009
bet your ass you will lose. they claim they got the best laywer. if you are thier student, i pity you cos your academy will sufffffffeer!
Re: Suing My University To Court: Any Hope Of Justice? by cliveland: 12:21am On Jun 11, 2009
@lawyer

i cant believe u read the post and still advised him to sue sue for what, anyway perhaps for laffff sake, its a ridiculous tale,

@ poster go get a life. how did u undertake an MBA with ur result, moreso u r about or perhaps u r already undertaking a PHD?

am not saying errors, mistakes or negligence does not happen but d poster's stories does not tell us where he's coming from or going.

DOES ANYONE READ THRU POSTS B4 THEY ARE MADE PUBLIC??[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]
Re: Suing My University To Court: Any Hope Of Justice? by OmoNaijaUK(m): 12:30am On Jun 11, 2009
Anybody or organisation can be sued, even the presidency. But your statements are not objective, inconsistent and incoherent. You may need to edit it so that we can understand better. How did U come about MBA & PhD (just after 2003). MBA will take at leat 2yrs + NYSC year= 2007. MBA does not qulify U for PHD in Naija except in UK, etc  for DBA (Doctor of Bus Admin). Then U said U've not done NYSC. How come MBA.

Also, try to be realistic. 13pple beheaded by Abacha are getting N2B for compesation but for one certificate U want N1b. If U sell all the Universities in Nigeria plus their VCs, U cant realise N1B.

Sueing is possible but be realistic. A month ago, I was about to sue British Embassy in Nigeria  for a chicken change of N100m because 15 certificates (degrees, CofOs etc) were about to get lost thru their office but after several weeks searching. They were traced to one post office and I dropped the idea.  Though, my initial idea was to DELIBRATELY disgrace them at a Lagos High Court in revenge of what Nigerians used to surffer at their office.

Think well and look for the best option.

Omo Naija, Edinburgh
Re: Suing My University To Court: Any Hope Of Justice? by finemocha(f): 1:28am On Jun 11, 2009
@ireke

well put

@post

i wish u the best of luck sha
Re: Suing My University To Court: Any Hope Of Justice? by JosBoy4Lif(m): 1:33am On Jun 11, 2009
1 post? This guy is definite ghost writer
Re: Suing My University To Court: Any Hope Of Justice? by beewhyfocs(m): 1:37am On Jun 11, 2009
loftihopes:

fellow nairalanders .
my story.
and its coming 12yrs behind time.

now - too bad.

done their mba,
doing their phd
the result is
its a 3rd c

peace.
need your view points.
cheers.

This is nothing but another made up story that touches with all its inconsistencies.
Re: Suing My University To Court: Any Hope Of Justice? by mwanamwiwa: 4:08am On Jun 11, 2009
Re: Suing My University To Court: Any Hope Of Justice? by bracelet: 10:20am On Jun 11, 2009
If the above story is true and after consulting with a good lawyer.

You cam claim 100billion. Its left to the court to award what they consider reasonable.

Depending on the judge you may be award 1million damage after all. Some judges can really be conservative! undecided
Re: Suing My University To Court: Any Hope Of Justice? by leye1234(m): 10:43am On Jun 11, 2009
@ poster
I have a good remedy for you. Round up the useless people and beat them up. Nigerian courts will not give you redress in this kind of case. From what I hear, this is the norm in Nigerian Universities.

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Need The List Of Public Primary Schools In Lagos State: Pls Help: / 2011/2012 Uniuyo's Post Utme Updates! / Benue State University Admission List For 2011/2011 Section Out Soon:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.