Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,463 members, 7,816,085 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:33 AM

Advanced Rents Banned In Lagos: - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Advanced Rents Banned In Lagos: (9183 Views)

Recent Sales And Rents... Mainland + gbagada & island / 2-year Rent Banned In Lagos, Assembly Passes Tenancy Law / 2-year Rent Banned In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Advanced Rents Banned In Lagos: by larez(m): 1:11pm On Jun 20, 2009
onyx20:

Oga architect l do not side with u on this point at all in as much as i respect u on this blog. The 10% by 2 collected by Est. Agent is not & cannot be fruad because the money was paid to E.A for service that was rendered. l can understand that the 10% is on the high side but it is absolutely legal(atleast 4 now) in my own opinion . Ur suggestion that they should set up a commission or Ombudsman as it is called in the UK is no bad ideal, here is an additional contribution 2 that. Let an indepedent body set an Ombudsman & let all Estate Agent sign up with them if they must trade & the Government then regulates them (E.A) through the Ombudsman.

Onyx20, the amount of 10% is what I find to be fraudulent especially in terms of basic housing. Affordable housing stops being affordable with high 'fees', interests, closings and all the other bunch of charges. There should actually be more avenues of rental adverts to avert such charges. I can remember a free magazine in the US called creative loafing. You could pick one up in any convenience store or gas station for free. The owners pay to advertise, and the consumers know whom to call.

These are the solutions that we need to work on to try to reduce costs which ends up being interpreted in terms of high costs of living. There are many practical solutions available which we need to explore rather than utilizing the most expensive ones that lead to the poor being poorer.
Re: Advanced Rents Banned In Lagos: by Ndipe(m): 1:40am On Jun 21, 2009
lastpage:

@NdipeYes, its is. Means "my dear" in Ibibio.

Ma'abasi, l served my NYSC there, one whole good year so, l know what l am saying,
" Tan'kikor Ibibio, n'kopo m'akara!"  tongue
U dig that?

@Larez,
Ameey'an! ?(Greetings)
no problem with your suggestion.
if it helps a bruvda to advance his good course, the pleasure is mine then.
Cheers.

Anwan mi is "My wife"
Re: Advanced Rents Banned In Lagos: by lastpage: 6:51pm On Jun 22, 2009
Ndipe,
I know try? How many Nigerians can speak a "foreign language" of where they served, after all these years.
All the same, you are right, l muddled it up a bit grin
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the 10% commission that Agents charge and the Non-refundable "deposit" palaver, (both registered and unregistered), Govt needs to look into it properly.

Agents perform a "service" and they should be paid for it.

But a situation where unemployed, untrained, unregistered, unlicensed and people without the slightest knowledge of what "property management" entails, simply because of "easy-money", all scurry around the neighborhood looking for houses that are vacant and they then "INSTALL" themselves as "Agent" over such vacancy, and demand 10% of total amount paid, as commission, is worse than armed robbery!

Pertinent questions are:
1. Who is an Agent?
2. What qualifies anyone to call himself an Agent?
3. What and where are the regulatory framework covering Housing Agency
4. What are the laid down process for redress when disputes arise between an Agent and the contracting party?
5. How can we prevent "Mafiarism" in the Agency business

Years back, l have witnessed when an "Agent" came to my Mum's house (we had a small notice outside advertising a vacant Apartment) and "marketed" himself for my Mum to allow him bring tenants for the vacancy and he vowed he would treble what she can get for it. (thats the carrot!)
Being who she is, my Mum chased him away saying its not all about the money, (since we the children have to "approve" any new tenants she would rent to: we stood a few feet away while they negotiate and it could just be that we think you would be a trouble maker or unkempt, such crude and childish analysis, but you can bet that once we dont jell with you, the house wont be given to you grin) she also wants someone that values the property and her peace of mind.

Nowadays, Landlords are very greedy and these Area-boyz touts-turned-"House-Agents" have cashed-in on their greediness.  At times you have about ten touts claiming to be Agents for a single room! You have to "Register with each one, with some amount".
Some of them dont even have access to any property but trick the desperate tenant-to-be into parting with "registration fee" and then end up taking you on some wild-goose-chase all over Lagos! Such "scammers" should end up in jail.

Now, if a Landlord so choose to have an 'Agent' market his house for him, such landlord should pay the Agent  since it is a contract between them.
But we have Agents now who insist that you pay them before they even show you  where a vacant house is (do you call that a service worth the 10%?). At the end of the day, they collect 10% from Tenant and then from Landlord.

It is these Agents that "fix" the non-refundable deposit (free money) that the Landlord gets and l  believe that is WHY the Landlord-Agent "Mafiarism" still thrives.  Its nothing but PRICE-FIXING and its a criminal offense.

This is where Governor Fashola should start from.
Advance rent issue will follow when we take care of the "infrastructure" NEEDED to make it work.

My suggestions:

1. All Agents must be trained, registered, licensed (renewable every 3yrs) and have an office of operation.

2. Only the Landlord should pay the Agent, if he wants to let his house through an Agent

3. "Agency commission" should be negotiable, agreed and binding on the contracting parties

4. Government must institute an "Ombudsman" type of body comprising of Tenants, Agents, Landlords and Government Representatives, empowered by law,  to arbitrate on House-Rent issues.

5. Government should encourage the formation of non-profit Tenancy-Protection bodies that would educate and challenge abuse on behalf of Tenants and Landlords

6. Nigerians should come together and form "online buying and selling" websites that cater specifically for Rent, letting, Selling of houses/Property in general. Its should be free for public use and income should be from traffic/advert placed on the site (Like Nairaland  grin ) That way, most transactions that dont need Agency can take place without being forced to go through an Agent. The "real" Agents have a real business model and would not be negatively affected.

7. Finally "Price-fixing" laws should enacted and enforced. Its a very bad canker-worm in our society, it happens daily, at Bus-stops (Agberoo), commodities markets (Union price), even in neighborhoods where Pepper-Grinders fix price through unions! shocked . Unionism is NOT about Price-fixing, get it?

I got to stop here, others can take it up from there.
Lastpage

BTW: am also a landlord and that lump-sum Deposit is easy money  cry , BUT what is wrong is wrong. IT IS WRONG!
Re: Advanced Rents Banned In Lagos: by larez(m): 7:21pm On Jun 22, 2009
lastpage:

Ndipe,
I know try? How many Nigerians can speak a "foreign language" of where they served, after all these years.
All the same, you are right, l muddled it up a bit grin
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW: am also a landlord and that lump-sum Deposit is easy money  cry , BUT what is wrong is wrong. IT IS WRONG!

@ Lastpage;

I am so very proud of you that I want to reach through my screen and hug you. The truth will set us all free. We can't take this money with us when we die. Halleluyah!! grin
Re: Advanced Rents Banned In Lagos: by lastpage: 8:39pm On Jun 22, 2009
@Ndipe
I am so very proud of you that I want to reach through my screen and hug you.
shocked  embarassed  undecided lipsrsealed  cool  grin grin , in that order! (lol)
Appreciate & thanks for the vote of confidence.

lastpage
BTW: Do you use a "touch-screen"? If 'yes' please go ahead and touch me grin
I'll feel you over here! wink
Re: Advanced Rents Banned In Lagos: by larez(m): 9:12pm On Jun 22, 2009
lastpage:

shocked  embarassed  undecided lipsrsealed  cool  grin grin , in that order! (lol)
Appreciate & thanks for the vote of confidence.

lastpage
BTW: Do you use a "touch-screen"? If 'yes' please go ahead and touch me grin
I'll feel you over here! wink

Been trying to touch but I bet your skin is softer than this dang screen wink
Re: Advanced Rents Banned In Lagos: by BAC: 5:15pm On Jun 23, 2009
My dear Tenants. We landLord are very sorry oooo. Cement cost too much, Iron rod, Made in Nigeria Sand is even costly, C of O, Survey etc, Omo - onile show us pepper too, When the mega city project is achieved you guys have to leave lagos ooo.

Not the landlords be problem na Government. And forget about prices going down. I suggest if you have the opportunity, just build. Anything will do, Even if it is only land in a remote location you can afford just try something,
Lagos will become one of the most expensive cities in Africa,
Re: Advanced Rents Banned In Lagos: by Ndipe(m): 9:19pm On Jun 23, 2009
BAC:

My dear Tenants. We landLord are very sorry oooo.  Cement cost too much, Iron rod, Made in Nigeria Sand is even costly, C of O, Survey etc,  Omo - onile show us pepper too, When the mega city project is achieved you guys have to leave lagos ooo.

Not the landlords be problem na Government. And forget about prices going down. I suggest if you have the opportunity, just build. Anything will do, Even if it is only land in a remote location you can afford just try something, 
Lagos will become one of the most expensive cities in Africa,

Isnt it already? undecided
Re: Advanced Rents Banned In Lagos: by temmytanny(m): 4:41pm On Jun 24, 2009
For the information of all tenants on this board. I have asked my lawyer to increase rent on all my properties by 25% with immediate effect, this applies to all contract due from next month, due to this new law. Either that law is passed or not. Who cares. Let them go and build for them self. I hope you all know that fashola is taxing on rental income, althought some landlords don't pay.

Sorry to you all, if you want to live in a mega city you have to pay mega money. And these are still early days, as soon as the mega city vision is accomplished we will send all unhappy tenants to their respective villages

Case closed

mr BAC
u such a very funny man,a man like should be gunned down and if i get gun i will.
Re: Advanced Rents Banned In Lagos: by temmytanny(m): 4:44pm On Jun 24, 2009
all ur mates gave constructive and good reasons while it would work or not but u just bumped in and tell us rubbish.na only you get house?
MAGA!
Re: Advanced Rents Banned In Lagos: by onyx20: 6:46pm On Jun 29, 2009
temmytanny:

all ur mates gave constructive and good reasons while it would work or not but u just bumped in and tell us rubbish.na only you get house?
MAGA!

I am not quite sure who Temmytanny is refaring to but let us all learn to be more afable on this blog. A poster expect comment response, relevant or not. Please understand that we all av right to our own different views. So make una take am JE-JE.
Re: Advanced Rents Banned In Lagos: by obicmag(m): 4:54pm On Jun 30, 2009
It is a right step in the right direction. If the bill is finally passed into law, Lagos tenants will heave a sigh of relief. Tenants can joyfully invest the excess rent into their businesses. I pray that the rest 35 state House of Assembly will borrow a leaf from lagos State.
Every day for the landlord one day for the helpless tenant.
Re: Advanced Rents Banned In Lagos: by lastpage: 1:13am On Jul 01, 2009
@obcmag
Every day for the landlord one day for the helpless tenant.
Who wants to be a "helpless Tenant"? Raise of ur hands

Since "everyday" is more like it, l want to be a LANDLORD-U Ooooooooooo! tongue

Lastpage.

Larez,
hope u doing good?
just looking out after u kiss
Re: Advanced Rents Banned In Lagos: by ozenyen(m): 3:32pm On Jul 01, 2009
I believe that uncle fash got it all wrong.
No matter how welcoming the initiative is, we lack the means as a people to enforce it.
of what use is a law that can't be enforce.
let the Govt concentrate on creating the right environment for people to be what they want to be then paying rent will be the last worry of the people.
Re: Advanced Rents Banned In Lagos: by larez(m): 4:23pm On Jul 19, 2009
lastpage:

@obcmagWho wants to be a "helpless Tenant"? Raise of ur hands

Since "everyday" is more like it, l want to be a LANDLORD-U Ooooooooooo! tongue

Lastpage.

Larez,
hope u doing good?
just looking out after u kiss

Thanks my Brother/Sister (not sure which one you are anymore). We are seeing a lot of constructive comments, which is very good. Once again, we should try to resolve issues and not just debate endlessly without achieving anything. Here's a handshake to you.
Re: Advanced Rents Banned In Lagos: by AWenger1: 8:26pm On Jul 27, 2009
Good idea in principle but as with most things they always put the cart before the horse.  There is a reason why Landlords charge 2 years upfront, those are the issues that they should be attempting to address.  The infrastructure does not exist for what they want to do.

For example:  1. A credit rating system  to verify the credit worthiness of a prospective temant and a database to blacklist defaulters whichs serves as a
disincentive to not paying your rent. Over here I pay my rent and bills on time because I know if i don't it affects my credit rating, without good credit
you can't do anything,
                      2. A process for evicting defaulting tennants
                      3. High associated costs of the building process
                      4 availability of land and building loans (just to mention a few)
                      5.Height restrictions on housing developments due to legislation and safety (lack of reliable firefighting)

If they really are smart and want to leave a legacy they will focus on solving the causes not the symptoms,  Nobody wants to pay 2 years upfront, tenants do because the environment doesn't give them a choice and a piece of legislation won't change anything.  It can't work! if they surprisingly find a way to enforce it, it will merely discourage developers from the housing market.  Instead of using beer parlour mentality to solve this issue they should be looking to embark on a massive road building programme to open upen new and existing areas and increasing the height restrictions for buildings so we can start building housing skyscapers in instead of wasting land.  When  a landord buys a piece of land for an exhorbitant rate, and can only erect a fixed no of flats because of height retrictions, then he is going to want to make as much as possible on thosefew tenants, if he could go higher, the flats costs less per unit and hence less rent.   If they focuses on these, the issue will resolve itself without the need for mickey-mouse legislation, if the supply of housing units is increased, people will shun landlords asking of exhorbitant rents or multiple year payments.

Some of you guys obviously think Fasola is doing a good job and yes he is an improvement but some of his ideas are ill concieved and some though good are poorly implemented, personally my view is that all this eko o ni baje nonsense is simply that your standards and expectation level have been lowered by years of poor governments

1. take Lekki express way, any foreward thinking person would be erecting flyovers at 1st, 2nd and 3rd roundabouts (at least),  what are we getting?  even more roundabouts and tollgates, how does a roundabout ease traffic flow? The LCCI are spending more time constructing the toll gates than they are on the road meanwhile it takes 2 hrs to get from 1st roundabout to VGC after work if you are lucky. couldn't they build the coastal road first?
2. take BRT, I have been on Ikorodu road many times and seen the BRT rendered useless because a bus had broken down on it, because it has been cordorned off with boulders, the effect that even the buses can't use it and instead of easing traffic you turn a 3 lane highway into 2.
3. all this useless paving stones they use for roads in lekki, makes for a horrible driving experience.  The excuse is always that the roads wash away,  all you need to do is to enforce standards in road construction and clear the drains, make it on offence for builders to dump sand and gravel on the roads and enforce fines on owners of undeveloped plots and trucks who dump sand and gravel on roads etc

When you try to kill a fly with a sledgehammer, most times you damage your wall and the fly escapes!   Lagos will nevre be a truely 21st century city with mediocre, substandard, half baked area boy approach to solving municipal problems.

Don't get me wrong I still like the guy
Re: Advanced Rents Banned In Lagos: by larez(m): 10:42pm On Jul 27, 2009
A Wenger:

Good idea in principle but as with most things they always put the cart before the horse.  There is a reason why Landlords charge 2 years upfront, those are the issues that they should be attempting to address.  The infrastructure does not exist for what they want to do.

For example:  1. A credit rating system  to verify the credit worthiness of a prospective temant and a database to blacklist defaulters
                       2. the process for evicting defaulting tennants
                      3. High associated costs of the building process
                      4 availability of land and building loans (just to mention a few)
                      5.Height restrictions on housing developments due to legislation and safety (lack of reliable firefighting)

If they really are smart and want to leave a legacy they will focus on solving the causes not the symptoms,  Nobody wants to pay 2 years upfront, tenants do because the environment doesn't give them a choice and a piece of legislation won't change anything.  It can't work! if they surprisingly find a way to enforce it, it will merely discourage developers from the housing market.  Instead of using beer parlour mentality to solve this issue they should be looking to embark on a massive road building programme to open upen new and existing areas and increasing the height restrictions for buildings so we can start building housing skyscapers in instead of wasting land.  When  a landord buys a piece of land for an exhorbitant rate, and can only erect a fixed no of flats because of height retrictions, then he is going to want to make as much as possible on thosefew tenants, if he could go higher, the flats costs less per unit and hence less rent.   If they focuses on these, the issue will resolve itself without the need for mickey-mouse legislation, if the supply of housing units is increased, people will shun landlords asking of exhorbitant rents or multiple year payments.

[b]Some of you guys obviously think Fasola is doing a good job and yes he is an improvement but some of his ideas are ill concieved and some though good are poorly implemented, personally my view is that all this eko o ni baje nonsense is simply that your standards and expectation level have been lowered by years of poor governments

1. take Lekki express way, any foreward thinking person would be erecting flyovers, what are we getting?  roundabouts and tollgates, how does a roundabout ease traffic flow?
2. take BRT, I have been on Ikorodu road many times and seen the BRT rendered useless because a bus had broken down on it, because it has been cordorned off with boulders, the effect that even the buses can't use it and instead of easing traffic you turn a 3 lane highway into 2.
3. all this useless paving stones they use to tar the roads in lekki, makes for a horrible driving experience.  The excuse is always that the roads wash away,  all you need to do is to enforce standards in road construction and clear the drains, make it on offence for builders to dump sand and gravel on the roads and enforce fines on owners of undeveloped plots etc[/b]

When you try to kill a fly with a sledgehammer, most times you damage your wall and the fly escapes!   Lagos will nevre be a truely 21st century city with mediocre, substandard, half baked area boy approach to solving municipal problems.

Don't get me wrong I still like the guy

While most of the issues that you touched on have been addressed in the past, I have highlighted the ones that I'd like to comment on. Please scroll back within the thread to see the other comments.

I recently had a chance to discuss the issues of roadways with someone heavily involved in the Lagos State government. This discussion was based on a granite mine/plant that I have on my radar screen. After spending over 2 years researching granite, roadways/asphalt, and concrete plants to the point of being capable of writing books on them, I approached this person with the idea. The response that I got completely deflated me. 2 years of intensive research was reduced to "Are you the first to want to do granite?"

This was a response of ignorance, which is typical in government. My being black/Nigerian was all that it took to wave me aside. I will therefore just mention a few conclusions of my research that could have benefited us but were not considered as important.

Roadways

1.  Roadways have been built since the Roman times, but enlightened countries continue to find ways of improving the designs of these roadways for construction, and have recently made some leaps in their research. Their research has developed especially 2 types of roadways design systems that gets the most bang for their costs. These in the United States are the Superpave (Superior Performance Pavements) system, and Stone Matrix Asphalt.

2. It has been determined that in order to meet the requirements of these systems, the most important aspect is in the gradation and monitoring of the source of the aggregates (granites, gabro, basaslts etc.) , utilized. There are various parameters that must be met for these rocks to be certified to meet standards.

3. Once these sources have been approved, then there are other issues such as sizing and mixes for the asphalt. Other specifications such as the addition of polymers to the bitumen, makes for the design of roadways that will theoretically last for over 25 years before needing major improvements. Some roadways built as test roads have exceeded this time frame without needing major repairs.

4. Roadways are designed based on their classification which indicates the level of traffic expected on them. Interchanges (flyovers and ramps), bridges, and u-turns areas are used as per traffic requirement in each class of roadways. I don't believe that in my 26 years of living in the United states that I ever saw a roundabout. This is clearly European.

The guy that I was speaking with advised me that Lagos state government cannot afford to build the ramps and flyovers which is the reason for the roundabouts. I tried to tell him that in reality, they could not afford not to build them. But then, the issue was waved aside.

This is typical of the backwards thinking that plagues Nigerian government. In advanced countries, they do what is termed as the Life Cycle Cost Analysis (LCCA) of a Roadway before ever trying to build one. One of the most important parts of this is the cost  of delays. Nigeria is oblivious of what the true costs of traffic jams does to it's economy, and the politicians fail to even understand the concept. Instead they say things like "You have spent too much time in America". When will we start thinking correctly? When will we understand the value of our human capital and it's productivity?

A couple of other important things that I must mention that no one pays attention to is the quality of concrete that people use to build houses, especially multi-storey ones. There is noone testing the sources or quality of granite used in our concrete. Do you know that granites are known to exist in many cases with uranium? Do you know that granite emits radiation? Do you know that many houses are being built with contaminated granites which end up making people sick from radiation exposures? But try to tell anyone in Nigeria, and they will tell you granite is granite. Ignorance kills.

Secondly, advances in the study of concrete has shown that some particular mixes actually end up causing aggregates to gel within the concrete and thus loosening/weakening the strength of the concrete over time. I can almost bet that this is one of the factors for the collapse of many buildings. When this gelling occurs within the columns holding up decks, it is only a matter of time before they collapse. There are also other issues about the quality of sizing in specification concrete. Recent studies have indicated that the ratio of sizing of the aggregates is very important in the mixes. Using cement sand and gravels in volumetric proportions alone don't quite cut it.

These are just a few observations of negligence and ignorance that I have noticed in the Nigerian environment. I have tried to educate some about this, but then they always remind me of the White men who they have in charge working for them. It is an irony that whenever I have technical discussions with these Lebanese guys that they call White men, I usually find out that they would have only qualified as laborers on any of my jobsites in the United States, where I design/built since 1986.
Re: Advanced Rents Banned In Lagos: by lastpage: 4:29am On Jul 28, 2009
Larez,
I must thank you and "A Wenger" for your contributions. You guys are wonderful.

Mediocrity has been elevated to an Art, in our society.
Its even more annoying when you try to make a point that could benefit everyone and one "half-illiterate" just sweeps everything under the carpet, out of ignorance.

I am not into 'detail construction' but when l see roads constructed in Europe and America, l always wonder how we expect the shoddy work we do down here to last a year and one is not surprised that most roads dont last a season of rain, some dont even last six months!

We are saddled with policy-makers who think only in the short-term since we're always putting square pegs in round holes and our penchant to worship any "white-skin" is legendary grin

You threw a very good insight into "strange" building collapse, up there.
I have seen buildings whose columns seem very strong and well ironed, crumble like biscuit and l've always wonder what the heck was the problem but your opinion got me thinking in another direction.
Yet we have over a million Engineers roaming around jobless while we are in dire need of qualified manpower!

We will keep saying what we have to say, what we know is right, till they decide to listen to us.
Its our duty to our country and our future.

Best regards.

Lastpage
Re: Advanced Rents Banned In Lagos: by larez(m): 9:25am On Jul 28, 2009
@Lastpage

You are always consistent about commenting on issues of Nigerian welfare. For this you should get a shout-out. As you mentioned, we owe it to Nigeria as thanks to God for giving us the exposures that better enlighten us. Who else will do it if not us? The irony is that I have archived over 30 Gig of information to assist in setting standards and awareness that I am not doing anything with so far. My experiences indicate that Nigerians tend to focus on the wrong things. You approach them with knowledge, and they are more engrossed with calling you "too know", instead of focusing on the importance of the information you are providing. This clearly discourages intellect.

I am about tired of Naija and may just end up leaving the country never to return again at the rate of discouragement that I am getting. People are only interested in stealing your ideas without compensation, while not quite getting the full picture yet. They end up messing up when they try to carry out these ideas without the proper research required. But then, it's usually stolen government money that they use, and hence abandon the project after realizing it wasn't as simple as they had deemed.

Why are we so bent on being enemies of progress? We can't give up though. I will keep trying for another year, and hope to meet some listening ears who are capable of doing things.
Re: Advanced Rents Banned In Lagos: by sandee575(f): 10:20am On Jul 28, 2009
Nigerians are a rare breed of people. We have absolutely no love for ourselves. Ultimately we now find ourselves relating like wild animals
in a jungle. From bad people evolve bad leaders. When a Gov. Fashola emerges miraculously with good plans for his people, the same people
set out to frustrate these plans. No advance payment sounds humane enough but with the "kings of the jungle" on the prowl, im sorry, its just not
feasible. Sick society.
Re: Advanced Rents Banned In Lagos: by lastpage: 11:59pm On Jul 28, 2009
Sandee575,
I feel you but at times, we need to take a step back and see where we are, currently.

"No Advance Rent" is possible.
It is desirable.
It benefits everyone, including the Landlord.
Agents/Commission business needs to be certified and regulated.

Having said that, where l defer with most people is in the implementation.

Consider this: would you buy a car first, before learning how to drive?
Or will you consider it more prudent, to learn how to drive FIRST, then buy a car after?
In both cases, you buy a car and you will probably drive it grin but one way is sure better than the other, and is less of a danger to others! lipsrsealed

This is my stance on the issue:
Lets tackle a few "teething problems" first and then implement the LAW, that way, we can sustain it.
I do not want us to enact and try to force the law first, before giving those issues a thought!

I hate to see laws enacted without teeth, a "wasteful" waste of time.
If you have time, you can read all the various suggestions a lot of well-intentioned people have made, on its "workability" and what groundwork needs to be done first.

One way or the other, we are all Tenants and Landlords, in various places.

No Bile, waalahi grin

Cheers.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Larez,
Thanks man.
My greatest pain has always been that of being a Nigerian, knowing How blessed we are and yet seeing how "Prodigal" we have become, so much so we are the butt of jokes from those countries we should be giving AID!

We cant give up on this country, till death do us apart! At least for the sake of the next generation.

Before Guv. Fashola (lets ignore our level of expectations for now) came to be, NO ONE knew that Governors could even be different from the likes of our "Regular Politicians" but we see now, there can still be light at the end of the tunnel!

I've seen some of your work in "building and design", since the days of "www.Nigeria.com in 2005" and am sure you will remember someone called "Afarikorodo" grin ! No be today o!

Keep hitting it, someday, a hole will appear!

Cheers.

Lastpage
Re: Advanced Rents Banned In Lagos: by larez(m): 12:11am On Jul 29, 2009
@Lastpage, I sure love your words of encouragement. But I'm starting to have an uncanny feeling that there is a conspiracy probably started by Politicians to frustrate Nigerians that return from diaspora. Could it be a case of Schizophrenia? I am still not sure if you are a man or woman, but from Afarikorodo, I will assume that you's a Dude. Holla at me on yahoo from my profile if you have yahoo.
Re: Advanced Rents Banned In Lagos: by lastpage: 3:16am On Jul 29, 2009
Will that be web.dot.larez.at.yahoo.dot.com ?

I also have something for your attention concerning your "conspiracy theory"!

Cheers.

Lastpage
Re: Advanced Rents Banned In Lagos: by larez(m): 3:56am On Jul 29, 2009
lastpage:

Will that be web.dot.larez.at.yahoo.dot.com ?

I also have something for your attention concerning your "conspiracy theory"!

Cheers.

Lastpage

If you go to my profile here, you can just click on the yahoo ID to connect. But looks like you've gone to bed now, so you can add me to your yahoo. architect4stars.
Re: Advanced Rents Banned In Lagos: by sandee575(f): 11:03am On Jul 29, 2009
Lastpage,
I would rather learn to drive before owning a car. So would i want to fill the potholes on my roads before embarking
on constructing water fountains at my roundabouts and junctions, i would build estates for the people to live in to bring
rent rates down before having visions of banning advance rents, i would emulate the Ghanaian government's success at
providing electricity for their people even as their President has no jet of his to fly in (we have a fleet), etc
Re: Advanced Rents Banned In Lagos: by larez(m): 11:27am On Jul 29, 2009
sandee575:

Lastpage,
I would rather learn to drive before owning a car. So would i want to fill the potholes on my roads before embarking
on constructing water fountains at my roundabouts and junctions, i would build estates for the people to live in to bring
rent rates down before having visions of banning advance rents, i would emulate the Ghanaian government's success at
providing electricity for their people even as their President has no jet of his to fly in (we have a fleet), etc

What you fail to realize is that if it were left to Fashola, there wouldn't be an issue with power in Lagos. This is a guy who understands the importance of Industry which relies on power. Unfortunately, as discovered with the Egbin power plant which Lagos State built, the constitution requires that power is distributed evenly across the country regardless of the source. Lagos therefore produces power only for 2/3 of it to be lost in transmission to Abuja. The fact of the matter is that there are a few IPP projects in Lagos already built. These are currently acting as Private power projects targeted at Industrial customers. If the constitution was changed, I could almost bet that Power will be continuous along the full length of South Coast of Nigeria. Well, of course it will depend on MEND leaving the gas pipes unruptured.
Re: Advanced Rents Banned In Lagos: by lastpage: 2:21pm On Jul 29, 2009
@Sandee575
Lastpage,

Exactly my sentiments.
Some things have to come first since a keen observation would show that there is more benefit to be enjoyed by the generality of the citizens, if one "fill potholes" first before building water fountains, despite the fact that both are "good things", desirables, as l will call them.

If you wonder, why are the Govt Officials/the rich bothering themselves buying "Hummer Jeeps" (some households have 4Jeeps!  ) when repairing the roads (Good surfacing and drainage) would have achieved the same "primary" objective of a smooth ride?

Why would everyone who has a little coin in his/her pocket turn their house (built from hard work and sweat!) into a "High-fenced Prison yard" when a little focus on the needs of the populace (education, infrastructure, Employment, adequate Policing, e.t.c) would have achieved a better level of environmental security,, and the aesthetics of the neighborhood will still be enjoyed?

The answer lies in "misplaced priorities" borne out of corruption or outright ignorance!

But in a world of "scarce resources which have alternative uses", Economics has taught us to always satisfy that "most pressing need"  and rank the others on a scale of preference!
People seem to underestimate the power of the forces of "Demand and Supply" as a potent regulator of Price!.

I pray Fashola would take a closer look and achieve the same aim (affordable rents) with/in a more systematic approach.

Cheers.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Larez
What you fail to realize is that if it were left to Fashola, there wouldn't be an issue with power in Lagos. This is a guy who understands the importance of Industry which relies on power. Unfortunately, as discovered with the Egbin power plant which Lagos State built, the constitution requires that power is distributed evenly across the country regardless of the source. Lagos therefore produces power only for 2/3 of it to be lost in transmission to Abuja. The fact of the matter is that there are a few IPP projects in Lagos already built. These are currently acting as Private power projects targeted at Industrial customers. If the constitution was changed, I could almost bet that Power will be continuous along the full length of South Coast of Nigeria. Well, of course it will depend on MEND leaving the gas pipes unruptured.
Thank you Sandee575,
Larez,
This point of yours brings us to the issue of "unequal yoking" and the idea of "True federalism".
It seems our Politicians are not up to the task and
"those who make Peaceful change impossible, are gonna make Violent change inevitable"! I hope it does not get to that sha.

Nigeria as it is, is a very 'unfair contraption' but we want it to remain a united country based on fairness to everyone.
Why should a "constitution" written for the people, by the people, ENSLAVE the same people?

I have said it over a hundred times in different fora that "Nigeria's development, like that of other countries, hinge heavily on "Stable power Supply".
Nigeria can not be an exception.
All the "Re-branding and wasteful foreign tours to attract  foreign investors", under Obasanjo yielded no result, as predicted and same is happening under Yar'Adua! When will our leaders learn simple A,B,C? Even for PHD holders like Dora Akinyilu?

In over two years  now, Mr. President has not been able to complete a single power Project!
Obasanjo spent Eight wasteful years attempting to do "a hundred meters crawl" on the same issue and failed woefully!!

There are "Chinese Models" of portable, "Neighborhood Modular Power Projects" that can come on stream within six months of approval (cash and carry NEPA! grin) currently in operation in highly inaccessible regions in China and the beauty of it is that the "Maintenance" is done by the local users themselves!
Whats wrong with our Leaders?

Its just wicked to "yoke" us under a constitution that is not fit for purpose, as an excuse to stunt developments in certain areas of the country.
Why should "amending a faulty part" of the constitution become a "political arm-twisting event"?
ITS SHEER WICKEDNESS.

This same rationale is what Mr. President is trying to apply on the issue of Lagos state "Local Development Council Areas" and his muscle flexing and threats!
As long as what you give the state does not change in terms of Revenue, why bother with whether Guv. Fashola "fragments" Lagos at Street level? At least until the National Assembly ratifies such decision (if political witch-hunting will ever allow that).

We just have to find away around these problems.
If other states want to remain in stone-age, then we cant force them to change but No one should also force us to remain at that level!
Thats what true Federalism entails!!

I sent you a message on your messenger, see u there.

Cheers,
Lastpage
Re: Advanced Rents Banned In Lagos: by larez(m): 2:48pm On Jul 29, 2009
Got it. I'm online now.
Re: Advanced Rents Banned In Lagos: by temmytanny(m): 6:58pm On Jul 29, 2009
pls enlighten me ooo,i havent heard anytin about the bill one week now.whats happening?
Re: Advanced Rents Banned In Lagos: by badoskey: 4:22am On Aug 04, 2010
i check out some responses and i laugh
Imagine some praising Fashola for what i call unrealistic move with politically motivated undertone.
How many housing units has the state built and what is the cost of such to the people
My advice to fashola is to please take a wholistic approach to issues so that whatever good intention you claim or portray to have would not lead to complications you wont be able to handle
Remember the coroner law as good as it is it wasnt approached with the complications in mind
please come out with what will protect both landlords and tenants
eko o ni baje o
Re: Advanced Rents Banned In Lagos: by utility: 11:15am On Aug 04, 2010
i think there is a man that belongs to the comitee of landlord,not happy ab out this advanced payment plan.be warned nigerians are watching you.we will take note of u,cos u are one of d many destroying the hope of nugerians.advance payement ban is a miracle if it is enacted in nigeria.thanks LASG

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

RSC/MINI/2&3BDRMS FLATS @ IKOSI-KETU,MAGODO 1&2,OGUDU,OMOLE PH2 ETC.08076673004 / I MUST BUY LAND,INVESTMENT, CHEAPEST LAND & LET US WORK ON UR BUDGET 08063337234 / Lagos Removes Shanties On Coastal Road Alignment (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 146
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.