Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,251 members, 7,953,942 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 09:27 AM

See Who Delivered The Parcel That Killed Dele Giwa - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / See Who Delivered The Parcel That Killed Dele Giwa (3088 Views)

Detailed Account Of Dele Giwa's Death / Maryam Babangida Killed Dele Giwa & Left Bongos Ikwue (her Ex-hubby) For Ibb / “mohammed Buba Marwa Delivered The Letter Bomb That Killed Dele Giwa” -- Dr. Tai (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

See Who Delivered The Parcel That Killed Dele Giwa by desgiezd(m): 10:45am On Jun 09, 2009
“Mohammed Buba Marwa delivered the letter bomb that Killed Dele Giwa” -- Dr. Taiyemiwo Ogunade
Monday, 08 June 2009 21:11 Saharareporters, New York
E-mail | Print | PDF

Mohammed Marwa
On Sunday, Professor Taiyemiwo Ogunade gave a bombshell interview to the NATION newspaper in which he made startling revelations about those who killed Dele Giwa in 1986. In a subsequent chat with Saharareporters, he spoke specifically about the role of former military administrator of Lagos State Buba Marwa in the assassination of the journalist.

Dr. Ogunade disclosed that soldiers loyal to the slain General Mamman Vatsa identified Marwa as the person who delivered the parcel bomb that killed Giwa, the Newswatch magazine founder.

He said the revelation came from a confidential discussion he had with one of the military boys who came to the City University of New York (CUNY) to press the college to train Nigerian military officials in “Peace and Conflict Resolution”. He said that Vatsa gave a four-hour long testimony to the military tribunal that tried and later sentenced him to death for a phantom coup plot against former military dictator, Ibrahim Badamosi Babangida.

Saharareporters: Do you know who delivered the bomb that killed Dele Giwa?

Ogunade: I believe that Buba Marwa did it. Some Mamman Vatsa boys told the full story in New York during a visit to my college to lobby our college to accept to train Nigerian military officers. Ambassador Olusola was on that entourage. [My informant] told me Dele Giwa was killed because he was in possession of a tape containing Vatsa’s testimony before the military tribunal. For four hours, Vatsa requested to tell the full story about how the Babangida regime was operating and his knowledge of the workings of IBB’s mind. He pointed out that after Halilu Akilu and Col. A.K Togun of the military intelligence prepared the parcel it was handed over to Buba Marwa to deliver to Dele Giwa. Marwa is a well–known “IBB boy”. But I was the one who gave Dele Giwa the tape.

Saharareporters: How did you get the tape?

Ogunade: Vatsa had a copy made by his friends in the tribunal and smuggled out to me and I “loaned” it to Dele Giwa who got on the case immediately. I still don’t know how Dele Giwa found out that I had the tape till this day.

Saharareporters: Do you still have a copy?

Ogunade: Yes, but you know I left Nigeria hurriedly after the death of Dele Giwa. I left [the tape] with my aged mother, who did not know the value then. I won’t say more, let the military release that tape to the Nigerian public.

Saharareporters: Did Dele Giwa return the tape to you?

Ogunade: Yes, he returned it after 24 hours. Don’t forget that I loaned it to him; I think he went and played it to Babangida’s people and they eliminated him after they heard the tape.

Saharareporters: What about Gloria Okon? It’s been said that Dele Giwa’s discovery of her was the reason he was killed?

Ogunade: Gloria Okon is actually Chinyere, that’s her real name. She married Charles "Jeff" Chandler, the fellow who killed Nzeogwu and was killed a day later. Chinyere, Maryam and Princess Atta were young friends who hung out together. They all married into the military, because the military was a proud and respectable profession then. Charles Chandler, who was Tiv, married Chinyere who I think is from Imo State. IBB married Maryam from Asaba and Mamman Vatsa married the princess. So Chinyere became a widow and resorted to trading between UK and Nigeria. And then she was caught with drugs; Mamman Vatsa was the person who put Chinyere on the next available flight from Kano to London – and then claimed that she was dead by parading a dead woman picked out of the mortuary. Dele Giwa later found out that she was in London having delivered a baby by another man. He sent a French photographer to the place and they saw Maryam Babangida at the event. Kayode Soyinka brought back the photographs.
Dele was sitting across the table from Kayode examining the photos taken of “Gloria Okon” (Chinyere, Richard Chandler’s wife) at the naming ceremony in London. Maryam Babangida was there. And then a letter parcel was delivered to him and he said excitedly that it must be from “Mr. President” referring to the discussions he had with IBB days earlier. The bomb exploded and severed his lower abdomen; he died a few hours later.

Saharareporters: Did you ever meet Marwa again? And did you ask him about his involvement?

Ogunade: Yes, Marwa was very active in the Nigerian embassy in New York. For a long time he was the “military attaché” to the Nigerian mission in New York while I was a professor of Black Studies at the City University of New York. He came to my college to sign a $30 million contract with the college so that members of the Nigerian military could attend a “Peace and Conflict Resolution program” and then be awarded a masters degree upon completion of the program. I fought bitterly against it, but the chair of the department, John Muyibi Amoda, badly wanted the money. I kept fighting and one day the college authorities acceded to my request. When I got home the college had dismissed me, but also I got a fax message saying the $30 million had been returned to Marwa. But between Marwa and Abacha they never returned that money to the Nigerian treasury. They shared it. I heard between him and Abacha, over $250 million was laundered through an account used by the New York mission of the Nigerian embassy. Marwa later set up an airline with his share of the loot. When he showed up to run for president I was the one who petitioned the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to investigate him. He confessed to money laundering in handwritten statements to the EFCC, but today he is the ambassador of Nigeria to South Africa. The police officer that investigated him, Ibrahim Magu, is permanently suspended from the police force after he was humiliated by the EFCC. It is a shameful country.

Saharareporters: What else did you do?

Ogunade: We helped start the Obama phenomenon in Chicago.

Saharareporters: How?

Ogunade: We fought and exposed Carol Mosley-Braun who was Abacha’s agent in the US Senate. She was removed from the US Senate because she took $5 million from Abacha to help cover his tracks in the US. We exposed her, which was how it became possible for the brilliant Obama to become the US president today. We set the stage for it.

http://www.saharareporters.com./index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2953:mohammed-buba-marwa-delivered-the-letter-bomb-that-killed-dele-giwa-dr-taiyemiwo-ogunade&catid=71:interview-political&Itemid=167
Re: See Who Delivered The Parcel That Killed Dele Giwa by desgiezd(m): 10:51am On Jun 09, 2009
This man should write a book on all he knows about Nigeria especially during the dark days of military rule, I guess it would make an interesting reading. It would also show how the high and mighty would be running up and down defending their roles at one time or the other.
Re: See Who Delivered The Parcel That Killed Dele Giwa by blunt1990: 11:22am On Jun 09, 2009
I look forward to the day our movie industry will come of age to act some of these events that 'reshaped' Nigeria without being hunted. We need more of this investigative journalism as we need investigative movie industry
Re: See Who Delivered The Parcel That Killed Dele Giwa by JustGood(m): 11:44am On Jun 09, 2009
Why are these idiots recycling themselves in power in Nigeria after having destroyed the fabric of the nation? angry
Re: See Who Delivered The Parcel That Killed Dele Giwa by Epiphany(m): 12:21pm On Jun 09, 2009
JustGood:

Why are these idiots recycling themselves in power in Nigeria after having destroyed the fabric of the nation? angry

They need to continually cover up their past. If these things are ever brought to light by another high and mighty person, their lives as well as their families will forever be haunted.
Re: See Who Delivered The Parcel That Killed Dele Giwa by spikedcylinder: 1:08pm On Jun 09, 2009
Chai, Marwa's house is just 5 houses from here. embarassed
Make I go kill am? tongue
Re: See Who Delivered The Parcel That Killed Dele Giwa by Fhemmmy: 1:30pm On Jun 09, 2009
People like this needs to write a book and make a movie with such stories, cos this are stories that changed Nigeria for good and coming generations needs a way to learn all these.
Re: See Who Delivered The Parcel That Killed Dele Giwa by sashbaby(f): 2:01pm On Jun 09, 2009
why wait this long to speak out.
Re: See Who Delivered The Parcel That Killed Dele Giwa by proudly9ja(m): 2:26pm On Jun 09, 2009
sashbaby:

why wait this long to speak out.

Well the story that Marwa delivered the letter that killed Dele Giwa has been well known for years! Well at least I first heard it in the early 2000s. The only thing is that Nigerians generally have short memories. Lagosians remember only the things Marwa did in Lagos and forget the hideous things he had done in the past. I think it was Gani Fawehinmi (May God continue to bless him and keep him alive) who raised the issue again when Marwa wanted to contest for presidency. Thank God Ribadu and Obj stopped him.

The police man mentioned who investigated Marwa was suspended by Waziri. Im sure I saw that story on sahara reporters some weeks back. They were two of them who were transfered and suspended by Waziri. This is how we treat people who serve us meritoriously in our country. We hound them, destroy them and their families. Little wonder why people find it difficult to go back home. I believe however, that change is coming.
Re: See Who Delivered The Parcel That Killed Dele Giwa by gentleaura(m): 2:41pm On Jun 09, 2009
JustGood:

Crooks always recycle themselves in politics if nothing is done to stop them. Power is always cloistered with the elites, they protect their power to manipulate the country. Question is, what , if anything, can and should we do to make the frigging leaders open up the process of power??

Nothing is done as per Ribadu who use to head the EFCC, what says you about the average policeman??
Re: See Who Delivered The Parcel That Killed Dele Giwa by vigasimple(m): 3:07pm On Jun 09, 2009
Until we have JJ RAWLING Dosage in Nigeria nothing will change.

You see, an average Nigerian does not fear anything, bad name, humilation prison etc.

The only thing is firing squard and believe it or not, you only need to do about 1 to 2 dozen 'EXECUTHIEVES'

'The fear of God is the begining of wisdom' so say the bible. Even if God were to come down today, both from the top to the bottom there is no more fear.

Everyone lives for today. Lord please have mercy on us.
Re: See Who Delivered The Parcel That Killed Dele Giwa by back2back(f): 4:51pm On Jun 09, 2009
Dr. Ogunade disclosed that soldiers loyal to the slain General Mamman Vatsa identified Marwa as the person who delivered the parcel bomb that killed Giwa, the Newswatch magazine founder.

This is a serious allegations.

Same Marwa became Governor of Lagos State and now Nigerian Ambassador to South Africa.

I expect FG to re-call him to answer these allegations.

I expect the National Assembly to pass a motion for him to answer these allegations.

But I know, this is a fantasy.

Welcome to HELL called Nigeria
Re: See Who Delivered The Parcel That Killed Dele Giwa by blacksta(m): 5:08pm On Jun 09, 2009
spikedcylinder:

u no get the balls
Re: See Who Delivered The Parcel That Killed Dele Giwa by kolaoloye(m): 5:10pm On Jun 09, 2009
How i which i were God For two minutes.
One thing is sure, everybody shall be rewarded according to his work only that it takes time.
Re: See Who Delivered The Parcel That Killed Dele Giwa by blacksta(m): 5:11pm On Jun 09, 2009
proudly9ja:

Well the story that Marwa delivered the letter that killed Dele Giwa has been well known for years! Well at least I first heard it in the early 2000s. The only thing is that Nigerians generally have short memories. Lagosians remember only the things Marwa did in Lagos and forget the hideous things he had done in the past. I think it was Gani Fawehinmi (May God continue to bless him and keep him alive) who raised the issue again when Marwa wanted to contest for presidency. Thank God Ribadu and Obj stopped him.

The police man mentioned who investigated Marwa was suspended by Waziri. Im sure I saw that story on sahara reporters some weeks back. They were two of them who were transfered and suspended by Waziri. This is how we treat people who serve us meritoriously in our country. We hound them, destroy them and their families. Little wonder why people find it difficult to go back home. I believe however, that change is coming.

Abeg make i hear word. Change from where ? i am guessing it will be comming from u in the u.k
Re: See Who Delivered The Parcel That Killed Dele Giwa by biina: 5:55pm On Jun 09, 2009
Do not blame the crooks, when those who claim to have incriminating evidence never make it public.
For example, where is the tape? why didn't he make a copy of it? why has he not released the content of the tape?
Our political history is littered with allegations with little to no evidence.
There is no point in making allegations if they cannot be substantiated.
Re: See Who Delivered The Parcel That Killed Dele Giwa by maxsiollun: 6:29pm On Jun 09, 2009
Another day, another shocking revelation. Democracy is really encouraging people to speak up about the taboo subjects from our past. There is (so far) no evidence to back up anything said in this interview. So we should not take it as fact for now.
Re: See Who Delivered The Parcel That Killed Dele Giwa by ifele(m): 6:39pm On Jun 09, 2009
Cowardice is the cause of all problems.
Re: See Who Delivered The Parcel That Killed Dele Giwa by jiganshow(m): 6:45pm On Jun 09, 2009
this world is a wicked world but as for me i will go into politicsb without shedding blood
Re: See Who Delivered The Parcel That Killed Dele Giwa by dean2725: 7:28pm On Jun 09, 2009
we are seriously doomed in Nigeria
damn!! are we sleeping or whats going on angry angry
the same ppl are the one still working around confidently in Nigeria
I think the best way to get high blood pressure is to keep thinking of Nigeria problems
May god have mercy indeed cry
Re: See Who Delivered The Parcel That Killed Dele Giwa by presido1: 7:30pm On Jun 09, 2009
back2back:

Same Marwa became Governor of Lagos State and now Nigerian Ambassador to South Africa.
I expect the National Assembly to pass a motion for him to answer these allegations
Why can't he be Gov and now Ambassador when the person that sent him is the god father.
This is Nigeria.
Re: See Who Delivered The Parcel That Killed Dele Giwa by biina: 7:57pm On Jun 09, 2009
back2back:

I expect the National Assembly to pass a motion for him to answer these allegations.

Unsubstantiated allegations are no better than gossips and slandering. The National Assembly has no cause to to ask him to answer any allegations.
If Ogunade has genuine evidence of marwa's complicity, he should come forward, and then the judiciary can be involved, but I do not support the allegation peddling that is rampant in Nigeria where we finger shadows and ghosts.
After all this years he has not made the tape or its transcripts public. So how does he justify his position as being pro justice.
Re: See Who Delivered The Parcel That Killed Dele Giwa by bandely(m): 8:07pm On Jun 09, 2009
spikedcylinder:

Have you the guts? O to be tongue
Re: See Who Delivered The Parcel That Killed Dele Giwa by Litmus: 8:17pm On Jun 09, 2009
Dele Giwa was much loved. However if the story is true I am troubled by the implication he attempt to gain personally by using blackmail to get a government post. This means that if he had been successful, he would not have made public the information on the tape. I am also curious at the role of the Americans, vis-à-vis Colin Powel and an American college responsible for the training of some of the worlds top dictators. If all true, do we mean the America whose president is supposedly not coming to Nigeria because of our corruption?
Re: See Who Delivered The Parcel That Killed Dele Giwa by spikedcylinder: 9:55am On Jun 10, 2009
See these people? Don't dare me o! cheesy
Re: See Who Delivered The Parcel That Killed Dele Giwa by nethacker(m): 10:51am On Jun 10, 2009
I belive this story,
vigasimple:

Until we have JJ RAWLING Dosage in Nigeria nothing will change.

You see, an average Nigerian does not fear anything, bad name, humilation prison etc.

The only thing is firing squard and believe it or not, you only need to do about 1 to 2 dozen 'EXECUTHIEVES'

'The fear of God is the begining of wisdom' so say the bible. Even if God were to come down today, both from the top to the bottom there is no more fear.

Everyone lives for today. Lord please have mercy on us.
@^ u r completely ryt, i dey tell u angry

spikedcylinder:

shocked shocked shocked please dont try it, stepping on a toe that cant be , hmmmm i reserve dat

o ga oooo
Re: See Who Delivered The Parcel That Killed Dele Giwa by desgiezd(m): 12:55pm On Jun 10, 2009
spikedcylinder:

See these people? Don't dare me o! cheesy

Please, dont deliver his own parcel yet. Na beg we dey beg you.
Re: See Who Delivered The Parcel That Killed Dele Giwa by tpiah: 1:33pm On Jun 10, 2009
all these personal problems shouldnt stop people from doing their jobs.

This is why I fear politics- its a dog-eat-dog situation and also a dirty game.

btw, i thought two army officers confessed to delivering the parcel?  Or do I have the wrong version.

Sad Dele Giwa had to die in such a manner though.

lord help us.
Re: See Who Delivered The Parcel That Killed Dele Giwa by maxsiollun: 12:27am On Jun 12, 2009
, and Marwa responds,

http://www.saharareporters.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2973:attempt-to-link-dr-marwa-with-dele-giwas-death-callous-a-rejoinder&catid=116:sr-readers-letters&Itemid=393

Attempt to link Dr. Marwa with Dele Giwa's Death Callous-A Rejoinder
Thursday, 11 June 2009 07:20 By BAYO S. YUSUF
E-mail | Print | PDF

The attention of the Nigerian High Commissioner to South Africa, Dr. Mohamed Buba Marwa, OFR; has been drawn to an interview granted by one dismissed Prof. Taiyemimo Ogunade to an online publication in which he made spurious allegations against Dr. Marwa.
Without mincing words, it is obvious from the claims and statements credited to the so called Prof. Ogunade that he is a hireling on a desperate mission to impugn on the image of Dr. Marwa.

It is certain, based on Ogunade’s own claim that he was dismissed from the City University, New York, that he must be of a questionable character whose words cannot be trusted or believed.

In as much as the statements of characters like Ogunade should not pose any threat to the personality of Dr. Marwa, it is necessary to put the records straight for the benefit of millions of unsuspecting Nigerians who may stumble on the libelous story of Ogunade.

It is on record that between August 1983 and August 1986, Dr. Marwa was away in the USA at the Universities of Pittsburgh and Harvard for post-graduate studies. Upon his return to Nigeria in August 1986, he was posted to take command of 233 tank battalion, Azare in Bauchi State. That year, 233 tank battalion was the only battalion selected in the entire Nigerian Army for the annual battalion test exercise (Exercise Gwada Karfi – an exercise in which the combat capability and battle worthiness of a battalion with full complements and in all phases and operations of war are tested, under the direct supervision and control of Divisional and Army Headquarters). The entire exercise period ran from September to November, 1986.

It is therefore absurd and unimaginable that Ogunade will link Dr. Marwa, who was leading a training exercise for his battalion in far-away Bauchi to the death of Mr. Dele Giwa in Lagos State. Where was this Professor without honour these past twenty plus years after the unfortunate death of Dele Giwa? Why did he not come forward since then with information at the tribunals, courts or indeed testify at the Oputa panel? His is a wicked story and only a character in the mould of Ogunade can peddle such deliberate falsehood.

Besides his futile attempt to link Dr. Marwa to the death of Dele Giwa, the so-called Professor went ahead to also narrate how Dr. Marwa allegedly signed a $30 million contract with the City University, New York, on behalf of the Nigerian government for a spurious masters degree programme for military officers.

Again, for the benefit of Nigerians, Dr. Marwa has NEVER met Ogunade or John Muyiwa Amodu of City University, New York; neither did he sign any such contract with the University. City University, New York, still exists. These facts can easily be verified. If any contract was signed, Ogunade should produce the papers. As such there was no basis for sharing any money that never existed. This is absolutely a fabrication by a man that has no conscience.

On Albarka Airline, it is on record and Dr. Marwa has said this in the past, that the airline was financed by loans from banks and financial institutions like the African International Bank/African Export-Import Bank, Cairo, Egypt etc. The airline was later capitalized to a Public Liability Company (PLC) in 2002. How or where Ogunade came up with a figure of $250 million that was shared is absolutely as unfathomable as it is ludicrous.

In another spurious claim, Ogunade said Dr. Marwa confessed to money laundering in his statement to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC). This again, is another falsehood. Dr. Marwa never confessed to any money laundering to anybody. This can be verified with the EFCC and if he had done that as Ogunade claimed, what could have stopped the commission from charging him to court? The EFCC never established any case against Dr. Marwa and that was why he was cleared to run for the Country’s Presidency in 2006.

Ogunade’s unashamed self confession that he was dismissed from the City University, New York, certainly tells much about his credibility and lack of honour. As such, his fabricated lies cannot tarnish the image of a distinguished Nigerian like Dr. Marwa who has worked hard and diligently over the years to build a name.

Dr. Marwa, an officer and a gentleman, has had an unblemished and meritorious public service record during his military career, both in the barracks and as a humane and performing Governor of Borno (1990-1992) and Lagos States (1996-1999) which earned him both admiration and several awards including the Distinguished Service Star (DSS) of the Nigerian Armed Forces and the national award of Officer of the Order of the Federal Republic (OFR).

Dr. Marwa, a firm believer in the rule of law, has already briefed his lawyers.

BAYO S. YUSUF

PA to High Commissioner
Re: See Who Delivered The Parcel That Killed Dele Giwa by naijaking1: 12:50am On Jun 12, 2009
I'm more disappointed in Marwa's defense than in the article which we all believed was just an allegation. Marwa's defense is 10%--- and that's for yelling insults at his accuser, otherwise it could have been 0%.
He did not deny being in NYC
See how he modified the question into 'signing $30million with him', instead of with the CUNY; then he debated the modified version and of course came to absolve himself. He never really said he never signed a contract the the school.
Again, I was hoping he would say he was not in Nigeria when Dele was killed. He tried to confuse us with the importance of his military work, but the truth is that he was in Nigeria at that time. Anybody could be in Lagos by 9am, and in Bauchi by 3pm for lunch or to pretend like you've been busy preparing a military reharsal.
Anybody who has taken Logic 101 would see that Marwa did not defend himself at all.
My heart bleeds embarassed
Re: See Who Delivered The Parcel That Killed Dele Giwa by otokx(m): 1:22pm On Jun 13, 2009
That PA should be relieved of his appointment; he has only added petrol to a blazing fire.

(1) (Reply)

Jonathan Goodluck: Vice President In Uthman Dan Fodio’s Estate / GEJ's Top Priorities Are Healthcare And Education / Is Dr Mimiko Realy Try In Ondo State?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.