Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,408 members, 7,812,205 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:02 AM

Anambra Central: APGA Jubilates As Court Bars Ekwunife, PDP - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Anambra Central: APGA Jubilates As Court Bars Ekwunife, PDP (3941 Views)

Kuje Prison Inmates Jubilates As Badeh Joins Them, Rejects Foods / Senator Uche Ekwunife Decamps To APC / Court Bars Ekwunife From Anambra Central Senatorial Re-run (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Anambra Central: APGA Jubilates As Court Bars Ekwunife, PDP by docadams: 9:43pm On Dec 22, 2015
There were jubilation in the camp of the All
Progressives Grand Alliance, APGA, on
Tuesday as fresh indications emerged that
the Enugu Appeal court barred the Peoples
Democratic Party, PDP, and its candidate,
Senator Uche Ekwunife from taking part in
the rerun.
The development has sent jitters down the
camp of Ekwunife and the PDP.
With the development, Chief Victor Umeh of
the APGA may be coasting home to victory
as he would likely face less hurdles in the
election. This is as the All Progressives
Congress, APC, candidate in the election, Dr.
Chris Ngige is now a serving minister and
may not take part in the rerun.
DAILY POST recalls that although Ekwunife
was declared winner, an Appeal Court sitting
in Enugu voided the polls and ordered a
rerun.
However, in a full text of the certified true
copy of the Appeal Court judgment made
available to journalists in Enugu yesterday,
the court held that the 11th respondent
(Ekwunife) “was not the product of a valid
primary and was, therefore, not duly and
legitimately nominated.
The court further held that such situation
“has disqualified her from contesting the
election into the Anambra Central senatorial
District.”
The court cited Supreme Court ruling on
Wambai Vs Donatus (2014) that “a person
cannot be qualified to be a candidate of a
party except and unless he is nominated and
sponsored by a political party.
The court noted that neither Ekwunife nor
the PDP led an evidence to prove that there
was a primary and those who participated in
such a primary where Ekwunife was elected.
Chairman of the Appeal panel Justice A.D.
Yahaya who read the judgment said “after
an election if a person wishes to challenge
the result of the election on ground of
nomination/pre election matter, he can
legally do so before a tribunal under Section
138 (1) (a) of the Electoral Act 2010 as
amended and it is wrong to hold that an
election tribunal does not have jurisdiction
to hear and determine such a matter.”
He, therefore, held that “nomination is part
and parcel of qualification to stand for an
election and since an election can be
challenged on the grounds of lack of
qualification, it follows that the appropriate
forum to challenge it after the election is
held is the Election Tribunal….”
The Court ruled that the tribunal was
therefore patently wrong in its decision.
“It had completely misapprehended the case
presented in that vein and that had coloured
it’s vision, denying it the composure and
dispassionate consideration of the case”, the
court added.
It noted that once the tribunal held the
opinion that the issue of nomination was an
internal affair and not justiceable, denying it
the jurisdiction to entertain the issue, it lost
focus and that clearly was prejudicial to the
interest of the appellants.
The court further held that “The decision
arrived at was perverse and the right course
of action is to set aside the decision.
“Consequently, the perverse decision which
held that the 11th respondent had been
properly and legitimately sponsored by the
12th respondent, must and is hereby set
aside.
“In view of this, it is totally unnecessary to
go into other issues raised for determination
by the appellants, especially as we have set
aside the judgment for being perverse.
Nothing can be built on it.”
Speaking on the revelations of the detailed
judgment Chief Victor Umeh, the APGA
candidate in the election said, “the judgment
has clearly removed Uche Ekwunife and the
PDP from the next election” arguing that if
one was not qualified to contest an election,
the person cannot be qualified to be part of
the re-run election.
“We have heard rumours that the PDP is
planning to hold ward congress on January
7th and thereafter hold a primary on the 9th
to nominate their candidate.
“So, it’s laughable because nomination for
participation in this election ended in
December 2014 and for that, withdrawal and
substitution has also been concluded.”
Meanwhile, in a swift reaction, Ekwunife
dismissed as laughable the claim that she
had been disqualified from the election,
noting that the enrolment order directed that
fresh election should be conducted by INEC.
She noted that the constitution and the
Electoral Act were clear on how a candidate
for an election would be disqualified,
explaining that nothing of such had sufficed
in her case.
Ekwunife noted further that because of the
absence of a valid party leadership in
Anambra at the time of the primaries last
December and following the court
observation that she was a product of an
invalid exercise, the PDP in Anambra had
fixed January 9 for fresh primaries,
observing that she was already prepared for
the exercise.
She said, “I wonder why some people will
start going through the entire body of the
judgment and ignore the main issue which is
the enrolment order that fresh election be
conducted for all the candidates.
“It smacks of somebody who is jittery and
not ready to face the popular judgment of
the people. I will soon begin my campaign
and Umeh is busy looking for what to
blackmail me with.”
Ekwunife maintained that she beat Chief
Umeh in the last election and as such will
always beat him in any contest under
platform of any political party because of her
antecedents and popularity.
“I won’t join issues with Chief Victor Umeh
whom obviously is still licking his wounds
after I beat him silly in the last election.
What concerns me at this moment is how to
go into the election and win again so as to
continue to represent my people at the
senate and not to join issues with him or his
pay masters.
“My victory at the last election was an act of
God and as such, I am not seeing anything
as an obstacle to my re-election as my
people have absolute confidence in me and
that is why they voted me in at the first
polls. Umeh is obviously very jittery about
the re-run election because he knows he is
not electable and as such will be beaten
again”, she maintained.
She called on her supporters and people of
Anambra Central senatorial zone to
disregard the speculations and allegations
being made by her opponent and promised
to continue to strive to guard the votes of
the people in March next year re-election in
the zone.

www.dailypost.ng/2015/12/22/anambra-central-alga-jubilates-as-court-bars-ekwunife-pdp/

1 Like

Re: Anambra Central: APGA Jubilates As Court Bars Ekwunife, PDP by fromnigeria(m): 9:47pm On Dec 22, 2015
shocked

1 Like

Re: Anambra Central: APGA Jubilates As Court Bars Ekwunife, PDP by henchamb(m): 9:51pm On Dec 22, 2015
It is finished
She stopped ngige from becoming the senate president.
Today Ngige is a minister of the FRN while she is a bloody powerless civilian after sleeping her way into pdp

18 Likes

Re: Anambra Central: APGA Jubilates As Court Bars Ekwunife, PDP by winniz: 9:57pm On Dec 22, 2015
Uche Ekwunife is heading the Senate committee on Petroleum and she made a suggestion over summoning the Daura Dullardd over Fuel Scarcity.
The next thing the Dullard did was to Nullify her election cos the Daura Oil Thief doesn't wanna be answerable to anyone. The Daura tyrant has also Barred Uche Ekwunife from contesting cos they know Uche will win Anambra Central Senatorial seat over and over again if she stands in the election.
Nigeria judiciary under the Daura Dullardd has simply gone to the Dogs.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Anambra Central: APGA Jubilates As Court Bars Ekwunife, PDP by obailala(m): 10:00pm On Dec 22, 2015
Hehehehe... APGA we know grin

3 Likes

Re: Anambra Central: APGA Jubilates As Court Bars Ekwunife, PDP by eyesofgod: 10:03pm On Dec 22, 2015
Haba! Come and see..

The Justices of the Appeal court ruled that...
...the 11th respondent(Ekwunife) “was not the product of a valid primary and was, therefore, not duly and legitimately nominated.
The court further held that such situation “has disqualified her from contesting the election into the Anambra Central senatorial District.”
The court cited Supreme Court ruling onWambai Vs Donatus (2014) that “a person cannot be qualified to be a candidate of a party except and unless he is nominated and
sponsored by a political party. The court noted that neither Ekwunife nor the PDP led an evidence to prove that there was a primary and those who participated in
such a primary where Ekwunife was elected.

But Ekwunife has cooked up another judgement in an 'umbrella' court of appeal that
“I wonder why some people will start going through the entire body of the judgment and ignore the main issue which is the enrolment order that fresh election be conducted for all the candidates. It smacks of somebody who is jittery and not ready to face the popular judgment of the people. I will soon begin my campaign and Umeh is busy looking for what to blackmail me with”.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anambra Central: APGA Jubilates As Court Bars Ekwunife, PDP by Nobody: 10:16pm On Dec 22, 2015
Hey zombies don't celebrate because PDp and APGA are breathing Fresh Air

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Anambra Central: APGA Jubilates As Court Bars Ekwunife, PDP by rusher14: 10:28pm On Dec 22, 2015
winniz:
Uche Ekwunife is heading the Senate committee on Petroleum and she made a suggestion over summoning the Daura Dullardd over Fuel Scarcity.
The next thing the Dullard did was to Nullify her election cos the Daura Oil Thief doesn't wanna be answerable to anyone. The Daura tyrant has also Barred Uche Ekwunife from contesting cos they know Uche will win Anambra Central Senatorial seat over and over again if she stands in the election.
Nigeria judiciary under the Daura President has simply gone to the Dogs.

Take handkerchief!

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Anambra Central: APGA Jubilates As Court Bars Ekwunife, PDP by docadams: 10:42pm On Dec 22, 2015
rusher14:

Take handkerchief!

Thank you for lending him a hanky.

What I find puzzling is this revelation by Chief Umeh:

“We have heard rumours that the PDP is planning to hold ward congress on
January 7th and thereafter hold a primary on the 9th to nominate their candidate.
“So, it’s laughable because nomination for
participation in this election ended in
December 2014 and for that, withdrawal
and substitution has also been concluded.”

If true, then I can confidently aver that PDP is permanently fixated on committing a harakiri as it is appearing they haven't learnt anything from the Taraba debacle.

14 Likes

Re: Anambra Central: APGA Jubilates As Court Bars Ekwunife, PDP by porshuch: 10:46pm On Dec 22, 2015
PROVACATEUR:
Hey zombies don't celebrate because PDp and APGA are breathing Fresh Air
Which APGA AND PDP, PLS GO AND READ UMEH'S STORY ABOUT PDP. WE DON'T WANT CORRUPT PDP IN ANAMBRA STATE.

9 Likes

Re: Anambra Central: APGA Jubilates As Court Bars Ekwunife, PDP by Ama80(f): 10:52pm On Dec 22, 2015
henchamb:
It is finished
Today Ngige is a minister of the FRN while she is a bloody powerless civilian after sleeping her way into pdp
really?impotent men n cowards are d only set of men dat are afraid of women rising above them.she sleeps her way to power while u slumber to imbecility n passivity.foolish chauvinist.

3 Likes

Re: Anambra Central: APGA Jubilates As Court Bars Ekwunife, PDP by winniz: 10:53pm On Dec 22, 2015
[s][/s]porshuch:
Which APGA AND PDP, PLS GO AND READ UMEH'S STORY ABOUT PDP. WE DON'T WANT CORRUPT PDP IN ANAMBRA STATE.[s][/s]

Shachris you should be concerned about your South West States not Anambra.
Re: Anambra Central: APGA Jubilates As Court Bars Ekwunife, PDP by pinkcita: 11:07pm On Dec 22, 2015
winniz:
Dummy

9 Likes

Re: Anambra Central: APGA Jubilates As Court Bars Ekwunife, PDP by dustmalik: 11:10pm On Dec 22, 2015
henchamb:
It is finished
Though i don't know about the sleeping part, but surely, Ngige would have been easily made the senate president.

10 Likes

Re: Anambra Central: APGA Jubilates As Court Bars Ekwunife, PDP by winniz: 11:14pm On Dec 22, 2015
pinkcita:

Dummy

Dullard!
Re: Anambra Central: APGA Jubilates As Court Bars Ekwunife, PDP by porshuch: 11:40pm On Dec 22, 2015
winniz:

Shachris you should be concerned about your South West States not Anambra.
so anybody against PDP is from southwest? NGWA MARA IHE IN JESUS NAME! AMEN!

12 Likes

Re: Anambra Central: APGA Jubilates As Court Bars Ekwunife, PDP by egift(m): 11:41pm On Dec 22, 2015
eyesofgod:
Haba! Come and see..

The Justices of the Appeal court ruled that...

But Ekwunife has cooked up another judgement in an 'umbrella' court of appeal that
“I wonder why some people will start going through the entire body of the judgment and ignore the main issue which is the enrolment order that fresh election be conducted for all the candidates. It smacks of somebody who is jittery and not ready to face the popular judgment of the people. I will soon begin my campaign and Umeh is busy looking for what to blackmail me with”.

She think we are still under the tar-tarred umbrella of the PDP and its snugged politics.

Time for Primaries and Substitution of Candidates are gone. PDP can try again in 2019.

Am with Victor Umeh on this one. Sai Umeh, Ngige, APGA and APC. grin grin grin grin grin

6 Likes

Re: Anambra Central: APGA Jubilates As Court Bars Ekwunife, PDP by doublewisdom: 11:43pm On Dec 22, 2015
winniz:
You mean am? Nigerians don enter enemy motor!

1 Like

Re: Anambra Central: APGA Jubilates As Court Bars Ekwunife, PDP by eyesofgod: 12:15am On Dec 23, 2015
egift:

She think we are still under the tar-tarred umbrella of the PDP and its snugged politics.

Time for Primaries and Substitution of Candidates are gone. PDP can try again in 2019.

Am with Victor Umeh on this one. Sai Umeh, Ngige, APGA and APC.

I tire. PDP is really a product of crooked ribs.

4 Likes

Re: Anambra Central: APGA Jubilates As Court Bars Ekwunife, PDP by BALLOSKI: 12:51am On Dec 23, 2015
I'm very happy! I hate pdp and don't even like that ekwunife of a woman.

3 Likes

Re: Anambra Central: APGA Jubilates As Court Bars Ekwunife, PDP by BALLOSKI: 12:54am On Dec 23, 2015
winniz:
[s]Uche Ekwunife is heading the Senate committee on Petroleum and she made a suggestion over summoning the Daura Dullardd over Fuel Scarcity.
Nigeria judiciary under the Daura Dullardd has simply gone to the Dogs.[/s]
the worst of dullardd won't even contemplate putting this flatulence in public like you just did.

You are a fat-blind dullardd!

8 Likes

Re: Anambra Central: APGA Jubilates As Court Bars Ekwunife, PDP by cocu25(m): 1:11am On Dec 23, 2015
Umeh z d worst thing to happen to anambra central ( anaocha ,njikoka ,awka north and south ,idemili north and south),....
Re: Anambra Central: APGA Jubilates As Court Bars Ekwunife, PDP by mensdept: 2:19am On Dec 23, 2015
Even though PDP is a thug party, Umeh and his click destroyed what could have been a viable APGA by being the most corrupt power hungry party officials in the last 8 years

1 Like

Re: Anambra Central: APGA Jubilates As Court Bars Ekwunife, PDP by MichaelSokoto(m): 3:23am On Dec 23, 2015
winniz:

4 Likes

Re: Anambra Central: APGA Jubilates As Court Bars Ekwunife, PDP by Nobody: 3:52am On Dec 23, 2015
Since Sen. Ngige had been diqualified by virtue of his being a member of the Federal cabinet(unless he resigns), Umeh might head to the Senate at last.

1 Like

Re: Anambra Central: APGA Jubilates As Court Bars Ekwunife, PDP by Warlord3000(m): 5:56am On Dec 23, 2015
Too many lawyers just deh dabaru layman's head...

Common interpretation of verdict them no fit agree..

Mtschew
Re: Anambra Central: APGA Jubilates As Court Bars Ekwunife, PDP by egift(m): 6:15am On Dec 23, 2015
Warlord3000:
Too many lawyers just deh dabaru layman's head...

Common interpretation of verdict them no fit agree..

Mtschew

Actually the interpretation is very simple, just that they are now twisting it for self interest. Here are the facts from a neutral point of view:

1. As of today, the election has been nullified and a re-run ordered buy the Appeal Court in Enugu.
2. Uche Ekwunife (PDP) who was initially declared winner and is currently in the Senate did not emerge through any form of PDP Primaries, hence is not a valid candidate to have participated in the first place.
3. PDP now seeing their mistake (her selection like others was a cash-and-carry business), now wants to organize a quick Kangaroo Primaries on January 7th to legitimate her nomination for the party ticket.
4. But the time for Submission and Substitution of Candidates by political parties has ended. The Re-Run is a continued process and not a Fresh Start.

Therefore, with PDP not at the Centre for their usual Abuja Magic, they can't pull this fast one on us this time around. With Ngige already having his seat at the Presidency as a Minister, Umeh will most likely get Ngige's supporters. So PDP can try another Regea and Blues in 2019.

Lesson: With President Buhari's emergence, all the cash and carry PDP politics are permanently destroyed.

5 Likes

Re: Anambra Central: APGA Jubilates As Court Bars Ekwunife, PDP by modath(f): 6:17am On Dec 23, 2015
20pounds:
Since Sen. Ngige had been diqualified by virtue of his being a member of the Federal cabinet (unless he resigns), Umeh might head to the Senate at last.

What part of our electoral laws are you quoting?

I don't like that woman, Stella has a worse rep but i still like her but Ekwunife!
Re: Anambra Central: APGA Jubilates As Court Bars Ekwunife, PDP by amaechi1: 6:23am On Dec 23, 2015
winniz:

I understand your frustration, but this politics. Again, I will advice you to speak with decorum. It is a virtue.

3 Likes

Re: Anambra Central: APGA Jubilates As Court Bars Ekwunife, PDP by Udopasa: 6:55am On Dec 23, 2015
Lol... Uche Ekwunife ntorrrrrrrr

1 Like

Re: Anambra Central: APGA Jubilates As Court Bars Ekwunife, PDP by greatiyk4u(m): 7:06am On Dec 23, 2015
winniz:

U knw all these and have not had the guts 2 go and kill the Daura President, don't u tink u re a coward?........due process is now abnormality in Nigeria

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Dino Melaye Official Qualifications. / National Action Plan For Health Security For 2018 To 2022 Inaugurated / Shocker APC Caught Sharing Money/envelop To Obas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.