Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,101 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:28 AM

Nigeria, Benin Seek 2 Mitigate Impact Of Economic Crisis - Becomrich U R Stuffed - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria, Benin Seek 2 Mitigate Impact Of Economic Crisis - Becomrich U R Stuffed (643 Views)

Becomrich Post Your Profile For Me. I Want To See It / The Curious Case Of "becomrich" : Is He A Human, Program Or A Trojan Virus ? / Becomrich Says When I Become President , Quote Me An Igbo Would Be President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria, Benin Seek 2 Mitigate Impact Of Economic Crisis - Becomrich U R Stuffed by blacksta(m): 9:35pm On Jun 09, 2009
ABUJA (AFP) — Benin's President Boni Yayi on Tuesday sought the cooperation of his Nigerian counterpart President Umaru Yar'Adua's on ways to mitigate the impact of the global financial crisis on their countries.

After the meeting of the two leaders, Yayi told journalists at a joint news conference that he was in Nigeria to discuss the serious problem with his host.

"The situation is critical in Benin," he said without giving details.

"I told him (Yar'Adua) it is time to strengthen our relationship in this period of financial crisis," said Yayi.

Yar'Adua said they had "discussed the issues of bi-national interests, in particular the effects of the global financial crisis on the two countries."

The Nigerian president said both countries agreed to convene a bi-national commission which would examine the issue and recommend measures to tackle it.

It is widely believed that the economy of Benin is largely dependent on Nigeria, its eastern neighbour.

Nigeria imports rice, vegetable oil, used vehicles and clothes from Benin, which in turn imports mostly basic household goods and beverages from its bigger neighbour.

Benin in August 2003 pleaded with Nigeria to reopen its land borders shut briefly over allegations of failure by Cotonou to check acts of banditry on its side of the frontier.

The borders were later opened after a meeting between then presidents Mathieu Kerekou and Olusegun Obasanjo.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hQY3npUkKSnBuNBYjyNAHPsAjJLg

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria: Shell Settles Saro-wiwa Case / Harvard Training For Nigeria Governors / Towards 2011- Rate The Governors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.