Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,791 members, 7,824,289 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 07:27 AM

Did You Read This Book ? Why We Struck? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Did You Read This Book ? Why We Struck? (12176 Views)

Female Suicide Bombers Who Struck At Maiduguri Market (Graphic Photos) / Why We Struck In 1985 - IBB / History 101: 1966 Coup : Why We Struck (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did You Read This Book ? Why We Struck? by Ymodulus: 8:46am On Dec 25, 2015
Was going through some stuff at a friends place, and I saw this book.

I was so excited, cause I remember reading years back.

Cc :
Harbioollah ,

3 Likes

Re: Did You Read This Book ? Why We Struck? by Cutehector(m): 8:47am On Dec 25, 2015
Its not in the market embarassed

1 Like

Re: Did You Read This Book ? Why We Struck? by Ymodulus: 8:52am On Dec 25, 2015
Cutehector:

Lol. We can sell it to you as an artifact.

I doubt 98% of Pro - Biafra preachers on this forum read this book
Re: Did You Read This Book ? Why We Struck? by Cutehector(m): 8:53am On Dec 25, 2015
Ymodulus:

pm me lets discus a reasonable price. I am a corp member

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Did You Read This Book ? Why We Struck? by Ymodulus: 8:59am On Dec 25, 2015
Cutehector:
pm me lets discus a reasonable price. I am a c*** *****r

Are you serious? Or joking? You want to buy it for real?
Why do you need it?

Not my copy my friend's own and am not sure she is willing to sell.

But I belief there should be a PDF format online
Re: Did You Read This Book ? Why We Struck? by Cutehector(m): 9:04am On Dec 25, 2015
Ymodulus:

Are you serious? Or joking? You want to buy it for real?
Why do you need it?

Not my copy my friend's own and am not sure she is willing to sell.

But I belief there should be a PDF format online
afta dey will say youths are not willing to read hard copy books... Brother am very much serious. I need it because i really dont have much knowledge about history and its important i get updated abt things like this cuz knowledge dey say is power. I believe your friend has even read it several times. Its a very good book and most especially one cant find soft copy of this in the internet... So please, i would like to buy it. Thanks
Re: Did You Read This Book ? Why We Struck? by Ymodulus: 9:05am On Dec 25, 2015
Cutehector:
afta dey will say youths are not willing to read hard copy books... Brother am very much serious. I need it because i really dont have much knowledge about history and its important i get updated abt things like this cuz knowledge dey say is power. I believe your friend has even read it several times. Its a very good book and most especially one cant find soft copy of this in the internet... So please, i would like to buy it. Thanks

Lol.

See link to get it.

http://www.mobofree.com/nigeria/Hobby-leisure-and-sports/Books-Cds-DVDs/Why-We-Struck-By-Adewale-Ademoyega/336819

2 Likes

Re: Did You Read This Book ? Why We Struck? by Cutehector(m): 9:13am On Dec 25, 2015

1 Like

Re: Did You Read This Book ? Why We Struck? by striker07(m): 9:41pm On Dec 25, 2015
I read it growing up. It was bought by my dad in those days. It's a very nice book, I wish to get one soon.
Re: Did You Read This Book ? Why We Struck? by meforyou1(m): 9:49pm On Dec 25, 2015
Cutehector:
u can buy it on amazon
Re: Did You Read This Book ? Why We Struck? by Nobody: 10:45pm On Dec 25, 2015
ymodulus merry xmas bro grin

1 Like

Re: Did You Read This Book ? Why We Struck? by Ratello: 12:20am On Dec 26, 2015
Fantastic book i must say! Unfortunately, Ademoyega is dead, he couldn't respond to some critiques of his work.......especially on the subject Banjo who was to lead the Biafran Expenditionary Force to the seat of power in Lagos.
Re: Did You Read This Book ? Why We Struck? by mazzi: 12:24am On Dec 26, 2015
At least the book put to rest the notion that 1966 coup was an igbo coup to perpetuate themselves in governance of nigeria.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did You Read This Book ? Why We Struck? by GenOrumov: 12:37am On Dec 26, 2015
All these naija pirates.

That's not the cover page of "Why we struck" that I read but it contains the same contents.

On another hand, how am even sure its the same content.
Re: Did You Read This Book ? Why We Struck? by evansjeff(m): 12:38am On Dec 26, 2015
ok
Re: Did You Read This Book ? Why We Struck? by Ymodulus: 5:39am On Dec 26, 2015
sonOfLucifer:
ymodulus merry xmas bro grin

Lol Lucifer. Seriously?
Lol. I only celebrate the birth of Satan sir. Not some imaginary son giving birth by some imaginary virgin. Lol! Thanks bro. Long time

GenOrumov:
All these naija pirates.
That's not the cover page of "Why we struck" that I read but it contains the same contents.
On another hand, how am even sure its the same content.
I believe it same cover.

Ratello:
Fantastic book i must say! Unfortunately, Ademoyega is dead, he couldn't respond to some critiques of his work.......especially on the subject Banjo who was to lead the Biafran Expenditionary Force to the seat of power in Lagos.
Did you read my mind on Bannjo's role?

mazzi:
At least the book put to rest the notion that 1966 coup was an igbo coup to perpetuate themselves in governance of nigeria.
Yes. The book settled many myths and more about the biafran war. And even have better reasonable explanation in some areas like awolowi reason or his act. This explanation is better than that of chinua Achebe's version in there was a country
Re: Did You Read This Book ? Why We Struck? by Nobody: 6:03am On Dec 26, 2015
meforyou1:
u can buy it on amazon
Amazon sells it for $300. Do I look like Andy "living in bondage" to yougrin

3 Likes

Re: Did You Read This Book ? Why We Struck? by unknown87: 6:08am On Dec 26, 2015
Ymodulus:
Was going through some stuff at a friends place, and I saw this book.

I was so excited, cause I remember reading years back.

Cc :
Harbioollah ,
Yes I did. My old man still has a copy. Including the 5 majors, the Nigerian Revolution and the Biafran War and some other books

1 Like

Re: Did You Read This Book ? Why We Struck? by Sibrah: 6:18am On Dec 26, 2015
Why did they strike? #WeLoveSummaries

1 Like

Re: Did You Read This Book ? Why We Struck? by domack99(m): 6:48am On Dec 26, 2015
mazzi:

I can't agree to that reason that the coup was not successful, if it was successful and they made Awolowo the head of state as the book claim and other non Easterner that help out in the coup play a major role in the new govt. form, then we will conclude that it was a coup in the interest on the Nation but unfortunately that coup was not successful
Re: Did You Read This Book ? Why We Struck? by Daliano(m): 7:05am On Dec 26, 2015
Ymodulus:

What makes you think so? Am pro Biafra and not only have I read the book, I own it together with "Because am involved " and "The Nigerian revolution and the Biafran war" by Alexander Madiebo....

5 Likes

Re: Did You Read This Book ? Why We Struck? by cupidFlint(m): 7:15am On Dec 26, 2015
Ymodulus:

I've read "There was a country", currently reading "In Biafra Africa died". Am actually looking for this book, "Why we struck" by Ademoyega Adewale and "The Indictment" by Emmanuel Ifeajuna

2 Likes

Re: Did You Read This Book ? Why We Struck? by cupidFlint(m): 7:16am On Dec 26, 2015
Ymodulus:

I've read "There was a country", currently reading "In Biafra Africa died". Am actually looking for this book, "Why we struck".
Re: Did You Read This Book ? Why We Struck? by Tomoarika(m): 8:20am On Dec 26, 2015
I have the book along with "The Twelve-Day Revolution" by Isaac Boro; one other civil war book by Alex Madiebo and one i just found now "Reflections of the Nigerian Civil War" by Raph Uweche.

Reading these books when i was young, opened my mind to how Nigeria was back then. The world isnt simply black or white; there's a whole lot of grey. It helps to view it from different perspectives.

Was a bit disappointed with "There was a Country", the writer appeared biased. I guess that was how he saw the events then.

Still looking for Alabi-Isama's book and Banjo's "A Sequin of Flowers"

Also hope Gowon and T.Y. Danjuma do the world a favour and publish their own accounts of happenings then.

@cupidFlint to the best of my knowledge Ifeajuna's writings havent been published although there is rumoured to be a manuscript.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did You Read This Book ? Why We Struck? by Ymodulus: 9:13am On Dec 26, 2015
Tomoarika:
I have the book along with "The Twelve-Day Revolution" by Isaac Boro; one other civil war book by Alex Madiebo and one i just found now "Reflections of the Nigerian Civil War" by Raph Uweche.

Reading these books when i was young, opened my mind to how Nigeria was back then. The world isnt simply black or white; there's a whole lot of grey. It helps to view it from different perspectives.

Was a bit disappointed with "There was a Country", the writer appeared biased. I guess that was how he saw the events then.

Still looking for Alabi-Isama's book and Banjo's "A Sequin of Flowers"

Also hope Gowon and T.Y. Danjuma do the world a favour and publish their own accounts of happenings then.

@cupidFlint to the best of my knowledge Ifeajuna's writings havent been published although there is rumoured to be a manuscript.

Same thing I said. Many on this forum think am against Biafra or hate Chinua and his student Adichie.

Chinua was biased.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did You Read This Book ? Why We Struck? by Ratello: 12:34am On Dec 27, 2015
Sibrah:
Why did they strike? #WeLoveSummaries
They struck because the politicians of their era were behaving like tin gods and rudderless in their leadership roles, highly disorganized, wanton extortion of the led and gross corruption, favoritism, nepotism in high places.....yes they have to strike them (the politicians then) out.
Re: Did You Read This Book ? Why We Struck? by Commentus2: 11:46pm On Dec 27, 2015
domack99:

I can't agree to that reason that the coup was not successful, if it was successful and they made Awolowo the head of state as the book claim and other non Easterner that help out in the coup play a major role in the new govt. form, then we will conclude that it was a coup in the interest on the Nation but unfortunately that coup was not successful
You read that Awo was made head of state in why we....are you serious or joking? That book clearly shown the cowardy of Ojuwku, his intolerance of other officers better than him, how he eliminated Ifeojuna, Banjo and covertly erased kaduna Nzeowu! Ademoyega himself narrowly escaped been kill, by that lunatic warlord!

Book also clearly stated the coup fail because of failure of Ifeojuna in lagos and those of assigned eastern nigeria!

Kaduna Nzeowu is a diatribal, have interest of the country in heart but his Igbo brothers in arm failed him, by not doing what they were assigned to do! They covertly spared leaders from their region. Moreover, when Nzeowu planned to launch attack on Lagos the sit of power and probably eastern region to balance thing out, he was persuaded by Ojuwku to step down because the equation favored the east then! cool A very interesting book! grin

4 Likes

Re: Did You Read This Book ? Why We Struck? by Ymodulus: 6:18am On Dec 28, 2015
The striking point about the book for me is the;
- presentation of gripping facts and
- the connotations behind accounts.

I am not surprised as to these aforementioned points, given that the author was an officer of the Nigerian Army and graduate of History from the University of London. So I do say he has the knowledge of telling a story like historians do, presenting facts in an unblemished prose.

Ademoyega was an active plotter and participant in the January 15 1966 coup which many students of that troubled times believe was a major factor that led to the war. Although a Yoruba, Ademoyega fought for Biafra and was a key operator in the brief but highly controversial Biafran invasion of the Midwest. He was detained by the Ojukwu regime till the end of the war when, after a short spell of freedom, he commenced another spell of detention till 1974.

The book is significant because it is the first account of Nigeria’s first coup by a participant. It dispels many myths about that putsch and provides insights into developments that would eventually pitch brother against brother in July 1967.

Though the book answers many questions, it leaves one hanging on many points, like:

1. did Ademoyega really know the genesis of the January coup despite his claims that he and Majors Nzeogwu and Ifeajuna initiated it?

2. The book does not give us a deep insight into the Biafran military and administrative machinery. Till his death in 2007, Ademoyega justified the January 15 ‘revolution’ and argued trenchantly that it was the mishandling of its objectives by the soldiers who aborted the coup that laid the foundation for the subsequent crisis that led to Nigeria’s civil war

I feel this is the truest ( pardon my English ) account of the war story ever told.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did You Read This Book ? Why We Struck? by 2sex(m): 6:56am On Dec 28, 2015
Ymodulus:

Same thing I said. Many on this forum think am against Biafra or hate Chinua and his student Adichie.

Chinua was biased.

Why would anyone think you hate your own place? I am Biafran but do not support the approach being deployed for her actualization.

I found this

http://emeagwali.com/discoveries/105_Thunder-Road-to-Biafra.pdf

Owned by Philip Emeagwali and contain list of books on war stories, the biafra stories

1 Like

Re: Did You Read This Book ? Why We Struck? by 2sex(m): 7:25am On Dec 28, 2015
Re: Did You Read This Book ? Why We Struck? by MRSALT: 8:11am On Dec 28, 2015
Why it is hard for many to understand or agree with the 5 majors that the main objective of the first coup was to install Awolowo as the president is because of the number of Igbo majors that took part in that coup. But they fail to understand that almost 3 of the majors were from the old western region and they were Awosts ,Nzeogwu inclusive.

1 Like

Re: Did You Read This Book ? Why We Struck? by Vulu: 9:37am On Dec 28, 2015
Ymodulus:

IF THERE IS ANY GROUP OF PEOPLE THAT HAVE READ A LOT OF THAT BOOK. IT IS PRO-BIAFRANS. THEY USUALLY USE THAT TO CONTERACT YOUR WICKED LIES THAT THE FIRST COUP WAS AN IGBO COUP. ADEMOYEGA A KEY FIGURE IN THE 66' COUP DISAGREED WITH ANYONE WHO CALLED IT AN IGBO COUP IN THAT BOOK.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Dr. Ifeanyi Ubah Joins Rotary International To Support Humanity (photos) / APC Never Knew Things Were This Bad-john Odigie Oyegun / Come Clean On Travel Ban, APC Tells Atiku

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.