Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,753 members, 7,824,162 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:36 AM

Quantity Surveying And Building Tech. Which Should I Go For? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Quantity Surveying And Building Tech. Which Should I Go For? (5146 Views)

Surveying And Geoinformatics Vs Architecture Somebody Please Help Me! / Is Quantity Surveying A Good Career In Nigeria / Surveying And Geoinformaticz In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Quantity Surveying And Building Tech. Which Should I Go For? by SeunWedsLinda(m): 8:15am On Dec 27, 2015
Between quantity surveying and building tech, which one do I stand a better chance of getting a job after graduation? Nigeria's present economic state and future prospects should be put into consideration. Thanks

Uncle lalasticlala, please help me move this to front page so I can get replies from responsible Nigerians.
Re: Quantity Surveying And Building Tech. Which Should I Go For? by Spanner4(m): 8:16am On Dec 27, 2015
My Broda I will advice u to go for Building Tech
Re: Quantity Surveying And Building Tech. Which Should I Go For? by SeunWedsLinda(m): 8:18am On Dec 27, 2015
Spanner4:
My Broda I will advice u to go for Building Tech
reason(s)?
Re: Quantity Surveying And Building Tech. Which Should I Go For? by Responsible: 8:19am On Dec 27, 2015
SeunWedsLinda:
Between quantity surveying and building tech, which one do I stand a better chance of getting a job after graduation? Nigeria's present economic state and future prospects should be put into consideration. Thanks

Uncle lalasticlala, please help me move this to front page so I can get replies from responsible Nigerians.
ok...
Re: Quantity Surveying And Building Tech. Which Should I Go For? by Spanner4(m): 8:23am On Dec 27, 2015
SeunWedsLinda:
reason(s)?

After ur graduation, u hv a better chance of either working with any construction firm as a builder or still yet becoming self employed.

Though after your graduation,it takes tym to make d needed contacts for clients but trust me on this, if one contract hits ur way and u handled it proficiently, the sky will be ur starting point.

Am saying that from a Experience
Re: Quantity Surveying And Building Tech. Which Should I Go For? by SeunWedsLinda(m): 8:28am On Dec 27, 2015
Spanner4:

After ur graduation, u hv a better chance of either working with any construction firm as a builder or still yet becoming self employed.

Though after your graduation,it takes tym to make d needed contacts for clients but trust me on this, if one contract hits ur way and u handled it proficiently, the sky will be ur starting point.

Am saying that from a Experience
thank you Sir for the prompt reply. I'll still need the inputs of some other persons perhaps from QS before I come to conclusion. Your submission has been noted nonetheless.
Re: Quantity Surveying And Building Tech. Which Should I Go For? by Spanner4(m): 8:35am On Dec 27, 2015
SeunWedsLinda:
thank you Sir for the prompt reply. I'll still need the inputs of some other persons perhaps in QS before I come to conclusion. Your submission has been noted nonetheless.

U re welcm, expect comment from Quantity surveyors and then u hv the decision to make.

Let me tell you one thing for sure, Nigeria is a country wherby no profession sticks to its boundary rather they trespass. An architect which primary role is to prepare the Design of any structure and its Architectural specifications encroaches on the profession of Builders who are expected to execute the detailed designs of the Architect. A builder who is expected to execute the design will like to prepare the architectural design by himself. Same with Land surveyors some of them are even building while their work is sole on land surveying, likewise Quantity Surveyors have turned themselves to Architect and builders.

We don't stick to the Rules and Ethics and the Professional Bodies we have isn't helping matters for all these careers in Construction Induustry
Re: Quantity Surveying And Building Tech. Which Should I Go For? by GodswillAJudins(m): 10:46am On Dec 27, 2015
Wat's the deference between building technology and civil engineering, which one is better,
Re: Quantity Surveying And Building Tech. Which Should I Go For? by SeunWedsLinda(m): 5:15pm On Dec 27, 2015
Spanner4:

U re welcm, expect comment from Quantity surveyors and then u hv the decision to make.

Let me tell you one thing for sure, Nigeria is a country wherby no profession sticks to its boundary rather they trespass. An architect which primary role is to prepare the Design of any structure and its Architectural specifications encroaches on the profession of Builders who are expected to execute the detailed designs of the Architect. A builder who is expected to execute the design will like to prepare the architectural design by himself. Same with Land surveyors some of them are even building while their work is sole on land surveying, likewise Quantity Surveyors have turned themselves to Architect and builders.

We don't stick to the Rules and Ethics and the Professional Bodies we have isn't helping matters for all these careers in Construction Induustry
thank you very much Sir.
Re: Quantity Surveying And Building Tech. Which Should I Go For? by Spanner4(m): 7:18pm On Dec 27, 2015
SeunWedsLinda:
thank you very much Sir.
U re welcm
Re: Quantity Surveying And Building Tech. Which Should I Go For? by Gideon9947: 12:41pm On Dec 28, 2015
GodswillAJudins:
Wat's the deference between building technology and civil engineering, which one is better,
civil engineer covers 4 aspect which are building,transportation(road and brigde),water resouses(dams),geotechnics but building tech is only about building(houses).
Re: Quantity Surveying And Building Tech. Which Should I Go For? by komolaf: 11:43am On Dec 29, 2015
@OP, both courses are okay but i will advise you go for Quantity Surveying. I am a registered QS with over 7years post NYSC experience in Lagos. Quantity Surveyors are like king on construction site, they are the chief accountant on every construction project. They advice the the client on the feasibility and viability of their project; they determine the quantity of materials and labour needed for every work items on site, etc. You don't need to cut corners for you to make it big as a Quantity Surveyor. You can combine office work with site work and still be doing some PP (personal practice) by the way. I applied for civil engineering but my school gave me QS...i never regret studying/practicing the profession. There might be this inferiority complex in school while relating with other professional like Architects and Civil Engineers but believe me, once you secured a good job, they will be be seeing you as Baba. Lastly, there are higher prospect of securing good job as a QS upon graduation as we still have less 3000 registered QS in the entire federation. Regards
Re: Quantity Surveying And Building Tech. Which Should I Go For? by SeunWedsLinda(m): 3:59pm On Dec 29, 2015
komolaf:
@OP, both courses are okay but i will advise you go for Quantity Surveying. I am a registered QS with over 7years post NYSC experience in Lagos. Quantity Surveyors are like king on construction site, they are the chief accountant on every construction project. They advice the the client on the feasibility and viability of their project; they determine the quantity of materials and labour needed for every work items on site, etc. You don't need to cut corners for you to make it big as a Quantity Surveyor. You can combine office work with site work and still be doing some PP (personal practice) by the way. I applied for civil engineering but my school gave me QS...i never regret studying/practicing the profession. There might be this inferiority complex in school while relating with other professional like Architects and Civil Engineers but believe me, once you secured a good job, they will be be seeing you as Baba. Lastly, there are higher prospect of securing good job as a QS upon graduation as we still have less 3000 registered QS in the entire federation. Regards
Sir, this is really an eye opener. I was doing mechanical engineering in a program in one of the institutions in nigeria but my inability to meet the cut off for direct entry consequently resulted in the school shifting me to technical education. Honestly that is a course I never dreamt on doing. However, I've consulted the faculty officer of Environmental science in my school and he's assured me that I can enroll into any department with that score except architecture. Reason why I created this thread.

Based on the replies so far. I will heed to your advice. I wouldn't mind you being my mentor especially considering the fact that you've got lots of experience in this field. I sent you a pm and I look forward to seeing your reply.

Muchas gracias senor.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Welding Fabrication Training In Lagos / Who Is Better An Economist Or Accountant / Which Is Actually More Important, Your Degree Or Work Experience?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.