Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,211 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:27 AM

What Are The PRACTICAL SOLUTIONS To Ending Child Abuse In Nigeria? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Are The PRACTICAL SOLUTIONS To Ending Child Abuse In Nigeria? (2362 Views)

Lagos Launches 6820, Short Service Code To Report Domestic Violence, Child Abuse / Forcing A Child To Eat: Is This Child Abuse? / 11-Year-Old Boy Maltreated By Stepmum: See The Highest Order Of Child Abuse (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are The PRACTICAL SOLUTIONS To Ending Child Abuse In Nigeria? by Chinwem(f): 1:22pm On Dec 27, 2015
This is not a thread to share gory details or examples of child abuse or abusers.

What we need are practical solutions to ending it in Nigerian society.

I was in Nigeria briefly and I had to go knock on somebodys gate and enter the compound before someone's child is killed.I understand the guardians pay for education and all for this girl but why they are so harsh with Her is unjustifiable. I needed to make sure they know that somebody has their eye on them and if anything happens to that child they will answer for it.

The thing is these 'looked like' distinguished people who I am sure will not be too proud of themselves if this is made public or brought to attention of colleagues in workplace. That's one way to know that what you're doing is wrong- if your colleagues in the office find out will you hold your head high or hang it in shame?

I plan to make regular visits as I am able and took some phone numbers as well. The little girl communicates with me via email so I have a direct link with her if she needs anything from me.The aim was not to go in guns blazing and passing judgement but to try and reason with them small if that is at all possible. They just have to get used to the fact that I m in the little girls life now and I m not going anywhere.

Looking back now having grown up and realised what safeguarding children is all about, there were numerous cases of abused children that I saw while growing up but didn't even realise it. That child always in torn clothes at school or with sores on their body. That child who is just skin and bones and always hungry . That child that has zero self esteem because they be been shouted and talked down at.

You guys, if you have a neighbour that's always beating or abusing a child especially when the child isn't theirs, please don't turn a blind eye. Invite yourself over and ask to see the child: make sure they know that the child is your priority. Give the child food when they re not around or money for food.

If you take an abused child out of an abusive home, where can you put them? Is there any law to back up ones action? What are the agencies/ NGOs in Nigeria for abused children?

Sensible responses please.
Re: What Are The PRACTICAL SOLUTIONS To Ending Child Abuse In Nigeria? by ronald4lif(m): 2:07pm On Dec 27, 2015
Hmmm, thoughtful of you.

The first and foremost first step is for low income earners and the very poor in the society to stop breeding and having kids they can't afford.

People must learn to take responsibility for their actions and stop believing that God gave them kids and he would provide for them. God never gave anyone kids, you engaged in coĆ­tal relations which resulted in pregnancy. Neither is he going to provide for them but you yourself is responsible for their upbringing.

A closer look at most children who are victims of child abuse one would realise that they are children from poor background. Their parents find it strenous to carter for their needs and even to feed them then had to lessen the burden by giving them over to these families.

Had they not giving birth to these kids they won't pass through the turmoil of having to work extremely hard just to survive even as they get beaten at any slightest provocation by their guardian.

Don't give birth if you don't have the financial resource to carter for them. The only solution is to sensitise poor families on family planning and the need not to breed like kids are running out of fashion.

1 Like

Re: What Are The PRACTICAL SOLUTIONS To Ending Child Abuse In Nigeria? by adeememman(m): 2:26pm On Dec 27, 2015
I think poverty needs to be reduced first. In times of famine, even in the bible it was recorded people were boiling and eating their children. So lets talk about poverty reduction first. The masses are indeed suffering so it makes it difficult to cast blame at times.

1 Like

Re: What Are The PRACTICAL SOLUTIONS To Ending Child Abuse In Nigeria? by Chinwem(f): 2:50pm On Dec 27, 2015
@ronald4lif
@adeememman

I agree . Low socioeconomic status seems to be underlying factor. Nobody will dare try to take advantage of you when they know your parents are neither poor nor ignorant.
Re: What Are The PRACTICAL SOLUTIONS To Ending Child Abuse In Nigeria? by ronald4lif(m): 3:14pm On Dec 27, 2015
Chinwem:
@ronald 4lif
@adeeme mman

I agree . Low socioeconomic status seems to be underlying factor. Nobody will dare try to take advantage of you when they know your parents are neither poor nor ignorant.

Hardly would any self-sufficient parents gives off their wards to another. Everyone is aware that it's near impossible for most people to treat another's kids as theirs and would never agree to give their kids to someone else.

The people who maltreat others kids are cognizant of the fact if these kids parents were financially stable they won't have part ways with them in the first place, hence the freewill to maltreat them.
Re: What Are The PRACTICAL SOLUTIONS To Ending Child Abuse In Nigeria? by Chinwem(f): 3:22pm On Dec 27, 2015
^^^^True
Re: What Are The PRACTICAL SOLUTIONS To Ending Child Abuse In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:17pm On Dec 27, 2015
All these posters been talking about housemate and stuff when child abuse goes far beyond that. Even parents abuse their children.
Maybe we just need a little more compassion in our lives.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Housemaid Kicks Out Her Madam, After Becoming 3 Months Pregnant For Her Husband / See How Much We Spend On Food For One Month / Which One Should I Go With 1.5m

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.