Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,974 members, 7,814,315 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:55 AM

The Major Sins In Islam - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / The Major Sins In Islam (38274 Views)

Fasting On The Day Of Arafat: Sins Forgiven For Two Years / Ingredients Of Marital Love In Islam / Islam Is The Major Problem The World Is Facing, True or false? CNN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Major Sins In Islam by beelyjay45(m): 10:10am On Jun 11, 2009
Asalam Alykun to All My Muslim Brothers n Sisters who join this thread,Praise be to the Allah, the Lord of the worlds and blessings, safe-keeping  and mercy to be granted to our beloved Prophet MMuhammadPUBH), the Chief of the Messangers of Allah, and the Guide of Allah's fear, and peace and blessings be granted  to his Family and companion.  May the peace and blessing of Allah be upon the Holy Prophet Muhammad and his household (Ameen).

What are the major sins in ISLAM? The major sins are sins which have been forforbidden Allah(S.W.T) in the Qurán and by his Messanger (SAW) in the SUNA (practice of the prophet).

"If you could avoid the major (part) of what you have been forbidden (to do), we will cancel out for you your (other) evil deeds  and will admit you (to paradise) with a noble entry. (al-nisa 4:31)

There are seven Major Sins which Allah has forbidden for us, and they are:

1. "Associating anything with ALLAH "

2. "Magic "

3. Killing on whom ALLAH has decledeclaredlate without a just cause

4. Consuming the property of an Oprahan

5. Devouring Usury(Interest)

6. Turing back when the army advances

7. Slandering chaste women who are believers and discreet

The worst of these major sins are 3 namely

- Associating other subject with ALLAH/Insincerity and OstenOstentation'sne'soness

- Disobedience to parents

-Lying under oath and false witness

1st Major Sin: Associating anything with Allah

-the greatest of all major sins is [b]SHRIKSH RIK that is to say, associating anything and anyone with ALLAH, and it of tow(2) kinds:

(i) To believe that AlllaAllahan equal or to worship someone or something with ALLAH i.e the sun, star, a saint, a prophet, an angel etc

Allah does not forgive associating anything with him and he forgives whatever is the other than that (SHRIKSH RIK to whomever he wills (al-nisa 4:48 & 116).

Whosoever associates anything with Allah ([b]SHRIKSH RIK and dies a polytheist (Mushrik) is defindefinitelynhabitant of Hell fire.

Just as anyone who believes in ALLAH and dies a believer is an inhabitant of the Garden, even though he may be punished in the fire first.

(ii) The second kind of associating anything with ALLAH is insincerity  ans ostenostentation'sne'soness, as stated by ALLAH the most high, "anyone who is expecting to meet his LORD should act righteously and not make  anything as a shaershearerorship of his LORD(al-Kahf 18:110) i.e this means  that one has to act with sincesinceritynot with ostentation in one'soness, for the sake of ALLAH alone.

[b]Major Sin: Not Observing Salat

WHAT ALLAH (SWT) SAID ABOUT SALAT

• “woe [Wayl] to the worshippers who are not mindful of their prayer(s) al-Ma’un 107: 4-5”
S’ad bin Abi Waqqas said “ I asked ALLAH’s Messenger (SAW) about the meaning of “unmindful”, and he replied: ‘it is delaying it (the salat) up to the end of its prescribed time.’ “

• Allah Most High says: “O you who believe, let neither your wealth not your children distract you from the remembrance of Allah. And those who do so, they will be the loser”. (Al-Munafiqoon 63:9)

The commentators say: “The remembrance of ALLAH in this verse means the five daily prayers. If anyone is so busy in the buying and selling, or with his daily work of earning a livelihood, or with his children, that he can’t perform prayers he/she will be among the losers.”

• Informing us about the inhabitants of Hell, ALLAH most high says: (The people in Hell will be asked): “What caused us to enter Hell fire? “They will say: “We were not among those who prayed, nor did we feed the needy. We used to engage in vain discourse with the vain-talkers, and we used to deny the Day of Judgement, until there came to us a certain (i.e, ALLAH’s Judgement).” Then, no intercession by any intercessors will benefit them. (Al-Muaddathir 74: 42-48)

The Prophet (SWA) said: “When a person performs a prayer during the early part of its prescribed time period, his prayer ascends toward Heaven as a Light until it reaches the Throne, and there it ask for forgiveness for that person until the Day of Resurrection saying, ‘O ALLAH, preserve him as he preserved me!’ But when a person performs a prayer outside its time it ascends towards the Heaven covered with Darkness. When it reaches there period, it is folded up as a garment is folded and thrown abck at his face, and it says, ‘May ALLAH waste you as you waste me!”

Ábdullah bin al-‘As (RAA) reported ALLAH’s Messanger (SAW) as saying: “There are three (kinds of people) whose prayer ALLAH will not accept: a leader who is hated by his nation; a master who oppresses his slave after making a contract with him to set him free; and a person who observes a prayer after its proper time”(Abu Dawood). He also said; “A person who combines two prayers without excuse, enters a gate among the major sins.”
We seek ALLAH’s guidance and help, for indeed. He is generous, the Magnanimous, and the most Merciful ones!

WHEN TO ORDER A CHILD TO PRAY
Allah’s messanger (SAW) said; “Tell your children to observe the prayer when they are seven years old, and beat them for (not observing) it when they are Ten years old and so not let boys and girls sleep together in the same bed.” (Abu Dawood).

There are difference of opinion among scholars concerning the (nature of the) punishment for an adult who abandons prayer. Malik, Shafi’l, and Ahmad bin Habal say that the punishment for an adult who deliberately abandons prayer is to strike off his head with a sword. There is also a difference of opinion about whether a person becomes a disbeliever if he lets the time of prayer pass without praying, while he has no excuse. Ibrahim Nakh’l, Ayyub Sakhtiyani, ‘Abdullah ibn Mubarak, Ahmad bin Hanbal, and Ishaq bin Rahwaih say that he has become a disbeliever, and they argue this from the above-cited tradition: “the convenant between us and them is prayer, so if anyone abandons it, he has become disbeliever.” And, “What lies between a man and infidelity is the abandonment of the prayer.”

OTHER CONSIDERATIONS
It is reported in a tradition that “ALLAH Most High will bestow five honours upon a person who guards the prescribed prayers. These are:
• He removes him from poverty
• The punishment of the grave
• He gives him his book (of deeds on the Day of Judgement) in his right hand
• He takes him over the Bridge (across Hell) like a streak of lighting
• He admits him into the garden without judgement
The opposite is the case with a person who abandons the prayer.

A Story. It is reported that a woman of the Children of Israel came to Prophet Moses and said: “O Messanger of Allah, I committed a grave sin but then I repented to ALLAH and asked for his forgiveness. Please pray to ALLAH that he accepts my repentance and forgive my sin. “Prophet Moses asked: “What did you do?” She replied: “Prophet of ALLAH, i committed fornication and later gave birth to a baby boy whom I killed.” Then the Prophet Moses said: “Go from here, you wicked woman, lest a fire from the Heaven consume all of us because of your monstrous sin!” Thereupon she left his presence broken-hearted. Then Gabriel descended and told Moses: “Moses, why have you turned away a repentant woman? Have you not found anyone worse than her? Moses asked: “Gabriel who could such a one be? “Gabriel said: “The one who abandons his prayer intentionally and persistently.”

• There are some people who chop part of their prayer while bowing and prostrating themselves and not completing them properly, and they are included in the meaning of the verse: “Woe to the worshippers who are not mindful of their prayers” (Al-Ma’un 107:4-5)
The Prophet (SAW) said: “If a person does not stretch his spine in bowing and prostrating, his prayer is not acceptable”(Ahmad). He also said that if anyone prays and does not straighten is back properly after bowing and prostrating, his prayer is not valid. Similarly all the movements in the prayer should be done in leisurely manner.
He said: “the worst kind of stealing is stealing from the prayer. “When asked: “How is it possible to steal from a prayer?” He replied: “By not completing bowing and prostrating and not reciting (the Qur’an) in it.”
Salam al-Farsi (RAA) reported Allah’s Messanger(SAW) as saying: “The prayer has a measure. If anyone has completed it, he is given its full measure, but if anyone is miserly with it, you know what ALLAH Most High says concerning who are miserly “Woe (Wayl) to the miserly ones!”(Al-Mutaffafin 83:1).

PRAYING IN THE MOSQUE

ALLAH Most High says:
A day when the truth will be uncovered, and they will be called upon to prostrate but hey will not be able to: with their eyes cast down, disgrace will overwhelm them. And before, they had not been called upon to prostrate while they where whole. ( Al-Qalam 68 42-43)
Ibrahim Taimi (RAA) says, in explanation, that they were called upon to perform the prescribed prayer through the Adhan and Iqamah ( the second call to prayer). Sa’id Ibn Musayyab says: “They heard, ‘Come to prayer, come to success, ‘and they did not respond. Therefore, on the Day of Resurrection, disgrace and regret will cover them.” Ka’b al Ahbar says: “These verses where revelead concerning those who didi not join the congregational prayer. What can be stronger and more suitable warning than this for those who left off congregational prayer while they were able to attend it?”
A blind man came to the prophet and said: “ALLAH’s Messanger, I have no one to guide me to the mosque. “He therefore asked ALLA’s Messanger for permission to pray at home and the prophet granted it. Then, when the man turned away, he called him back and asked: “Can you hear the Adhan (from you house)?” He said: “Yes.” Thereupon the Prophet (SAW) said: “Then respond to it (by coming to the mosque).” (Muslim)
We see that here is ablind man with no one to guide him to the mosque, but the Prophet (SAW) did not give him permission to pray at home as long as he was able to hear the Adhan. How, then, can there be any excuse for a healthy man who is able to see?
Ibn’Abbas (RAA) reported ALLAH’s Messenger (SAW) as saying: “If anyone hears the Adhan and is not prevented by some excuse from responding to it, his prayer (prayed at home) will not be accepted.” When asked about the (nature of) the excuse, he relied that it consisted of fear (of danger) or illness.

MAJOR SIN: NOT PAYING ZAKAT

ALLAH Most High says: Let not those who are miserly with what ALLAH has given them from His bounty suppose that it is better for them. On the contrary, it is worse for them! The things with which they were so miserly will be bound around their necks on the Day of Resurrection. (Ale’Imran 3:108)
Woe to the Mushrikeen (polytheists) who do not pay Zakat! (Fussilat 41: 6-7)

Then give them (those who hoard gold and silver, and do not spend them for the sake of ALLAH) “good tidings” of a painful punishment, a day when it (their hoarded wealth) will be heated in Hell-fire, and then their foreheads, their sides, and their backs will be branded with it. (And it will be said to themsmiley “This is what you hoarded up for yourselves, so taste whatever you used to hoard”(Al-Taubah 9:34:35)

Abu Hurairah(RAA) reported ALLAH’s Messenger(SAW) as saying: Ïf any possessor of gold or silver does not pay what is due on it (of Zakat). When the Day of Resurrection comes, plates of fire will be beaten out for him; they will be heated in the fire of Hell, and his forehead, sides, and back will be cauterised with them. Each time they are cooled off, they will be returned to him, during a day whose length will be fity thousand years, until ALLAH’s judgement is pronounced upon mankind and he sees whether his path takes him to the Garden or to the Fire. “He was asked: “Messenger of ALLAH, what about camels?” He replied: “If any owner of camels does not pay whatever (Zakat) is due on them, when the Day of Resurrection comes, a soft, sandy plain will be spread out for them, as smooth as can be; and he will find not a single young camel is missing, and they will trample him with their hoofs and bite him with their mouths. As often as the first of them passes him, the last of them will be bought back to him, during a day whose length will be fifty thousand years, until Allah’s judgement is passed upon mankind and he sees whether his path takes him to the Garden or to the Fire.

If asked why asked: “Why are the forehead, the sides, and the back been singled out (for mention in this verse)?” the answer is: “When a miserly rich person sees a poor person approaching him, he frowns wrinkles, his forehead, and turns his side (to him), and when the poor persons comes close to him, he turns away, showing him his back. That is why these parts of the body are mentioned in those verses.
The Prophet(SAW) said: “Three (kinds of people) will entre the Fire first: a ruler who sets himself over as Lord over his people; a man rich in property who does not pay the right of Allah (that is Zakat) from his property and a vainglorious poor person (referring to one who deprives his family of their share from the Public Treasury –that is Zakat or Sadaqah – because of false dignity or false pride, although he qualifies to receive help from the source).”

No Zakat will be paid on jewelry which is in used. However, if it is stored or rented out Zakat is due on it.
The Prophet(SAW) said: “Five for Five” when the asked: “What does “Five for Five” means?” he replied “when a nation breaks its agreement, Allah gives its enemy power over it; when people judge by criteria other than what Allah has revealed, proverty spreads among them; when lewdness apprears among a people, death spreads among them; when they give short measure and weight, they are struck by famine and shortages of vegetation; and when they do not pay Zakat, rain is withheld from them.”

1 Like

Re: The Major Sins In Islam by Nobody: 7:00pm On Jun 11, 2009
Jazakallahu khairan brother, for the information. May Allah reward you, amin.

1 Like

Re: The Major Sins In Islam by noetic2: 12:46am On Jun 12, 2009
what difference does it make since all muslims are going to hell, according to the koran?
Re: The Major Sins In Islam by olabowale(m): 1:32am On Jun 12, 2009
I think your hypothesis about hellfire for Muslims is shattered. Hence you can't let it go. You are truly a big time crusader, Pauline Christian soldier! Forward marching Christian soldier, marching to the war! Give it a rest, man. The boot must be as heavy as a lead shoe by now. No? Good Night, Noetic.

1 Like

Re: The Major Sins In Islam by noetic2: 1:36am On Jun 12, 2009
you have NEVER refuted this claim by allah.

did we not produce koranic verses where allah said u will all go to hell?
Re: The Major Sins In Islam by muhsin(m): 1:49pm On Jun 12, 2009
And the verses have been aptly explained to you, folks. Why are you still repeating one thing? embarassed
Re: The Major Sins In Islam by noetic2: 2:38pm On Jun 12, 2009
muhsin:

And the verses have been aptly explained to you, folks. Why are you still repeating one thing? embarassed

I am disappointed. Did u say explain? explain what?

why should I believe olabowale's linguistic display, when allah clearly stated his case in the koran?
allah said in his koran that all muslims without exception are going to hell. olabowale said only some muslims will.

why should i believe olabowale, when allah (who olabowale worships) has CLEARLY stated that all MUSLIMS are going to hell.
Re: The Major Sins In Islam by Nobody: 3:18pm On Jun 12, 2009
noetic, why have you absented yourself from this thread smiley

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-283011.32.html
Re: The Major Sins In Islam by noetic2: 3:32pm On Jun 12, 2009
I believe all ur questions/concerns on that thread have been addressed.
Re: The Major Sins In Islam by Frizy(m): 3:39pm On Jun 12, 2009
@brother

How come having sexual relationships between unmarried people (fornication) or adultery is not highlighted as a major sin. You need to tell people that accept issues like this as the "norms" of the society. sad
Re: The Major Sins In Islam by subzeeero(m): 6:18pm On Jun 12, 2009
Aslm alkm,
There is a very good book that gives an explanation of all the major sins.
Its a must read. You can find it here:
http://www.7cgen.com/index.php?showtopic=24597
Re: The Major Sins In Islam by Frizy(m): 6:56pm On Jun 12, 2009
subzeeero:

Aslm alkm,

This is still one of the most useful post I have seen on nairaland. Brother, the books there are endless. I downloaded some, and bookmarked the page. Jazakullah Kairan. smiley
Re: The Major Sins In Islam by babs787(m): 8:22pm On Jun 12, 2009
@Subzeero

Aslm alkm,

Salam brother. Very educative and where have u been all these while? Please always come online. I love reading from you.
Re: The Major Sins In Islam by beelyjay45(m): 4:32pm On Jun 17, 2009
Salam Alykun to all my muslim Bro N Sis, Soory I was mant to continue this thread but my internet connection was messing up but before the week runs out i will update you more on this topic. Ma salaam
Re: The Major Sins In Islam by Nobody: 7:09pm On Mar 03, 2010
@beelyjay every tin u typed up there is arrant nonesense.number one u said "allah doesn't allow dem 2 be poor yet there a lotta muslim beggars all over lagos street.infact begging is a full time profession or career 4 dem (begging in d name of allah "insha allaheven selling prayers",while some feign blindness or dumbness n a child leads dem about,without givin consideration 4 d childs education or d type of impression he will have bout life when all his used 2 n brought up with is begging,even if d so called allah cannot heal sight or make a person talk does he encourage parents 2 bring up a child 2 beg all his days n not even go 2 school,if at all he hAS opportunity of going 2 school dey take him 2 an islamic school to learn Mass murder.againin part of d pillars of islam giving 2 beggars is part of d 5 pillars.yet allah rescues from poverty.U're supposed 2 say ALLAH ENCOURAGES BEGGING.cos if it wasnt in d pillar of islam 2 give 2 beggars,nobody will beg cos no one will give dem money.
point 2 associating anytin with allah-do islamic clerics not engage in sorcery.they claim god made leaves 4 mans benefit dat is y it can be used 2 heal or harm man
point 3-islamic cleric do jazz well well so every tin u typed down there is d total opposite of wot we all see in islam 2day shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: The Major Sins In Islam by alimat2(f): 2:34pm On Mar 04, 2010
@kulyie,

Arrogance and ignorance are like twins that lead to destruction.

Hav u 4gotten that begging is of old? read ur bible and u will c beggers in d bible
E.g, At the beautiful gate of d synagogue where peter and paul did healing and some beggers came to beg but peter/paul says silver nd gold hav it not, (complete d remaining).U cant just ascribed begging to islam cos its a tin dat hav being existing b4 ur birth.
Everybody in life canot be educated, rich, poor, brilliant,suceessful etc. Pls try and think b4 posting and dnt derail d message of the thread
Re: The Major Sins In Islam by alimat2(f): 2:57pm On Mar 04, 2010
kulyie:

they claim god made leaves 4 mans benefit dat is y it can be used 2 heal or harm
point 3-islamic cleric do jazz well well so every tin u typed down there is d total opposite of wot we all see in islam 2day shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

I believe u r not a nigerian or probably a white,
i am very sure u never take cooked herb in your entire life(agbo)/concontion.
Am sure u were not suprised when your mother cooked leave of guava,Orange,mango,peels of pineapple,lemon grass,limejuice e.t.c when u hav thphoid fever  or did u tell her she is associating herbs with God?

and for the harm aspect of i think there are always some goat in d mixture of sheeps and these can be found in all aspect of life

1 Like

Re: The Major Sins In Islam by alimat2(f): 3:17pm On Mar 04, 2010
kulyie:

point 3-Islamic cleric do jazz well well so every tin u typed down there is d total opposite of wot we all see in Islam 2day shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Where there is no law there wont be sin and where the is law there will surely be sin!
Its its clearly known that human beings are made to tresspass on all our dealings.

Lets all go back to the 10 commandments dt was given to Prop Moses(peace unto him)
Do not worship other gods except me,Thou shall not commit adultery/fornication, thou shall not steal, till d last
Now be d unbias judge, Did u keep all d 10 commandments?

If No then what makes u not keep the laws also applies to the people u are accusing above. And if Yes, that u do keep d 10 laws then wat make u unique in keeping all the laws also applies to the ones that are not doing d jazz
and this means that not every body is obedient/ disobedient to d law
Re: The Major Sins In Islam by chakula: 5:05pm On Mar 04, 2010
Jazakhil lah, ya siister.
Re: The Major Sins In Islam by Nobody: 9:42pm On Mar 06, 2010
@alimat i'm not derailing from d thread n replying ur foolish and disgraceful coments is a sheer waste of time ,afterall everyone is entitled 2 their opinion. shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked God have mercy grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: The Major Sins In Islam by MUNEER2(m): 3:14am On Mar 07, 2010
kulyie:

@alimat i'm not derailing from d thread n replying your foolish and disgraceful coments is a sheer waste of time ,afterall everyone is entitled 2 their opinion. shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked God have mercy grin grin grin grin grin grin
Just like you are also entitled to your futile comments. . . cheesy
You can be more sensible next time you know? else, you won't stop being speechless like this after heavy punches from Intellectuals in the house, gbam lipsrsealed!
Re: The Major Sins In Islam by JaleelahBisola(f): 11:16am On Mar 22, 2013
Assalam Alaekum 2 u all! The major sin in islam is SHRIKH (I.e 2 associate partner wth Almighty Allah)
Re: The Major Sins In Islam by Ifyjemila(f): 1:01pm On Nov 14, 2013
noetic2: what difference does it make since all muslims are going to hell, according to the koran?
may Allah have mercy on you.
Re: The Major Sins In Islam by Ifyjemila(f): 1:11pm On Nov 14, 2013
Frizy:

This is still one of the most useful post I have seen on nairaland. Brother, the books there are endless. I downloaded some, and bookmarked the page. Jazakullah Kairan. smiley
I will do that too.
Re: The Major Sins In Islam by Ifyjemila(f): 1:27pm On Nov 14, 2013
kulyie: @beelyjay every tin u typed up there is arrant nonesense.number one u said "allah doesn't allow dem 2 be poor yet there a lotta muslim beggars all over lagos street.infact begging is a full time profession or career 4 dem (begging in d name of allah "insha allaheven selling prayers",while some feign blindness or dumbness n a child leads dem about,without givin consideration 4 d childs education or d type of impression he will have bout life when all his used 2 n brought up with is begging,even if d so called allah cannot heal sight or make a person talk does he encourage parents 2 bring up a child 2 beg all his days n not even go 2 school,if at all he hAS opportunity of going 2 school dey take him 2 an islamic school to learn Mass murder.againin part of d pillars of islam giving 2 beggars is part of d 5 pillars.yet allah rescues from poverty.U're supposed 2 say ALLAH ENCOURAGES BEGGING.cos if it wasnt in d pillar of islam 2 give 2 beggars,nobody will beg cos no one will give dem money.
point 2 associating anytin with allah-do islamic clerics not engage in sorcery.they claim god made leaves 4 mans benefit dat is y it can be used 2 heal or harm man
you don't know, you know that you don't know & you don't want to know what are you?

1 Like

Re: The Major Sins In Islam by follyinfo(m): 3:18pm On Nov 25, 2013
May Allah remove everything that will cause you sorrow & sadness in your life and multiply everything that will bring you peace, joy and happiness to you today, tomorrow & forever.(Amin)

(1) (Reply)

Man Climbs Street Light In Abuja During Maulud Of Sheikh Ibrahim Inyass / PHOTOS: Beautiful Lady Reverts To Islam / Tissue Paper And Islam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.