Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,306 members, 7,853,412 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 04:10 PM

CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad (27393 Views)

Four Risky Places To Use Your Debit Card Abroad / Foreign Payments With Naira ATM Cards Suspended By Zenith Bank / International Spend Restriction On Naira Card: What Is The Implication Of This? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad by Nobody: 10:50am On Dec 28, 2015
Bevista:
That explanation is plain ridiculous. How can the CBN blame the banks, when they (CBN) are the ones that stopped banks from receiving dollar cash lodgements into domicilary accounts. Where did they expect banks to get FX to meet their international payment obligations, especially with the meagre Dollar sells to BDCs.
---
For the records, I fully understand the constraint the CBN is facing from low FX inflow into the Foreign Reserves due to low oil prices, however, the restrictions imposed by the Central Bank are extreme. With a daily limit of $1000, How do I make a payment of $1500 for my professional exams? Or am I not supposed to write such exams again because the government is on a fvcking mission?
---
I believe the current CBN Governor is a weak link in this administration, as he is not providing the president with the right monetary policy options/advice. While there are obvious benefits from the CBN policy, I strongly believe that the NET result of the policy on the economy will be negative.
.....CORRECTION.
$100. DAILY LIMIT. Not $1000.

2 Likes

Re: CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad by Nobody: 10:50am On Dec 28, 2015
Keneking:

I mean payment of tuition for studies in any African College or University doesn't require USD /GBP. Most times it is based in local currency.

How long can one expect a response from CBN after filing request via bank? In terms of hours..
I think even in african countries it's the equivalent of the fees in USD that would be transferred.
About how long the processing time in hours lol...ok leave about 24h*3 to 24h*5 working days.

1 Like

Demdem2:

Lame excuses. The health of our economy far superceeds personal inefficiencies.

You mean supersede? Which inefficiencies?

1 Like

Re: CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad by Bevista: 10:51am On Dec 28, 2015
ZuzuMan:
.....CORRECTION.
$100. DAILY LIMIT.
Ouch! Didn't even know the limit has been reviewed downwards.
Re: CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad by muyiwadavid(m): 10:51am On Dec 28, 2015
Dee60:

You want to put Naira in your account in Nigeria and withdraw dollars freely abroad! Where would Nigeria have all the dollars to fund that. with the oil price fallen to by more than 60?

Does it occur to anyone that allowining free withdrawal (dollar against naira) will result in huge dollar debt for Nigeria over time?

Is there not an avenue for students to have their fees transferred officially instead of via ATMs?

The protesters need to push their argument clearly. Otherwise, it is simple commonsense that you cannot dollarise your economy, unless you want to pile up debt for future generations. Common sense.

If we had saved forex when oil was USD100 plus, it would have helped a bit. But with dwindling reserve CBN has to look for ways to curb DOLLAR consumption. We just cannot continue to CONSUME what we dont produce and expect FG or CBN to do magic.

Please think before you talk. Read before you comment. Common sense says so..

3 Likes

Re: CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad by Rolings: 10:52am On Dec 28, 2015
Ghandi12:

Could you please give us a bank name and address where dollars for essential services (that are only possible in $) can be sourced.

The true reality on the streets is that there has not been $ for common-man in any banks in the last couple of months. Your information on its availability will be appreciated by thousands out there.

What is your definition of essential services that are only possible in dollars
Re: CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad by Nobody: 10:53am On Dec 28, 2015
Email your exam people and tell them to split the payment into two, you pay $750 one month and the other $750 the other month.... i forsee that this policy would last for at least six months, dont let the govt mess up your career!

Bevista:
That explanation is plain ridiculous. How can the CBN blame the banks, when they (CBN) are the ones that stopped banks from receiving dollar cash lodgements into domicilary accounts. Where did they expect banks to get FX to meet their international payment obligations, especially with the meagre Dollar sells to BDCs.
---
For the records, I fully understand the constraint the CBN is facing from low FX inflow into the Foreign Reserves due to low oil prices, however, the restrictions imposed by the Central Bank are extreme. With a daily limit of $1000, How do I make a payment of $1500 for my professional exams? Or am I not supposed to write such exams again because the government is on a fvcking mission?
---
I believe the current CBN Governor is a weak link in this administration, as he is not providing the president with the right monetary policy options/advice. While there are obvious benefits from the CBN policy, I strongly believe that the NET result of the policy on the economy will be negative.

1 Like

Re: CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad by modath(f): 10:53am On Dec 28, 2015
PassingShot:

I'm always tolerant except in extreme situations, hence my smileys.

I was not too much into the commonwealth thread joor. But AareOnakakanfo did great sustaining it till hundred plus pages. He really tried.

You so missed the point about "injury prone", read between the lines, you will get it , your brain pass am..

My No 2 point..

Aare tried but someway somehow, some folks caught feelings & slowly but surely killed that thread..

My point is, i thought you guys were gonna resurrect & keep it going since the folks that were regular posters all left it to mynd to play by himself with a lil help from sympathetic bystanders.. cheesy
Re: CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad by Nobody: 10:54am On Dec 28, 2015
Bevista:
Ouch! Didn't even know the limit has been reviewed downwards.
...... grin grin grin....Yes wooooo! We just dey pray make dem no review am to $10. Daily limit!
Re: CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad by Nobody: 10:54am On Dec 28, 2015
TheSixthSense:

I think even in african countries it's the equivalent of the fees in USD that would be transferred.
About how long the processing time in hours lol...ok leave about 24h*3 to 24h*5 working days.

Amazing.

Can someone pay with debit card instead of credit card?
Re: CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad by Demdem2: 10:55am On Dec 28, 2015
Keneking:

You mean supersede? Which inefficiencies?

Why should the country suffer because u got ur admission letter late due to reasons which could be attributed to either u the applicant or the school itself. Same goes to visa.
What's our business with ur Xmas and new year expenses?
U want foreign exchange, then apply very early and follow due process.

2 Likes

Re: CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad by Rolings: 10:55am On Dec 28, 2015
Ghandi12:

Could you please give us a bank name and address where dollars for essential services (that are only possible in $) can be sourced.

The true reality on the streets is that there has not been $ for common-man in any banks in the last couple of months. Your information on its availability will be appreciated by thousands out there.

Common man don't use dollars anyhow, just like fuel subsidy,dollarizing the economy benefits just a few people ie the rich while the effects is on the masses

2 Likes

Re: CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad by Demdem2: 10:58am On Dec 28, 2015
TeOwl:
Email your exam people and tell them to split the payment into two, you pay $750 one month and the other $750 the other month.... i forsee that this policy would last for at least six months, dont let the govt mess up your career!

Good advise. Not all is strictly black and white we are trying to portray.
Re: CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad by Nobody: 10:59am On Dec 28, 2015
monthly limit is $1000... daily limit is over $100... i dont know the daily limit but it is over $100. however you cannot spend more than $1000 in a month.

ZuzuMan:
.....CORRECTION.
$100. DAILY LIMIT. Not $1000.

1 Like

Re: CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad by femex12: 11:00am On Dec 28, 2015
There will surely be a way out
Re: CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad by Nobody: 11:01am On Dec 28, 2015
Keneking:

Amazing.

Can someone pay with debit card instead of credit card?
I hope so, but with several restrictions lately it's better you visit your bank and don't take me too seriously because I also don't know the latest developments. You should get information abd professional advice from your bank.
Re: CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad by Nobody: 11:02am On Dec 28, 2015
PassingShot:
Unfortunately this is where GEJ and his cohorts brought us.

If you like, call it blaming or whatever, it is the dollarized foreign reserves that determine the pressure on naira. And it is the same reserve that Jonathan dipped his hands and that of his comrades' to loot like there was no tomorrow. Now that the "tomorrow" is upon us, we're excusing them instead of calling for their head.

Una never see anything!

Lol...dipped his hand...lol...Nigeria!
Re: CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad by Bevista: 11:02am On Dec 28, 2015
TeOwl:

Really?! You expect the CFA Institute to alter their online payment platform because of one dude in a country where Capital Controls are being enforced?

1 Like

Re: CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad by Nobody: 11:04am On Dec 28, 2015
Demdem2:

Why should the country suffer because u got ur admission letter late due to reasons which could be attributed to either u the applicant or the school itself. Same goes to visa.
What's our business with ur Xmas and new year expenses?
U want foreign exchange, then apply very early and follow due process.

grin grin grin grin grin grin

Seriously, foreign exchange should be made available for legitimate purposes. I mean it should be available on short notice. This current plight is unacceptable. Parties (CBN, banks and other financial institutions) must work to bring relief to genuine users of foreign exchange.

You would agree that the success of any government is its ability to show concern when there is outcry from its populace.

Meanwhile is Osinbajo sef undecided Someone needs to talk....I don't rely on this CBN governor shocked

In addition, can we have a schedule of banks that have placed this embargo?
Re: CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad by Nobody: 11:06am On Dec 28, 2015
TheSixthSense:

I hope so, but with several restrictions lately it's better you visit your bank and don't take me too seriously because I also don't know the latest developments. You should get information abd professional advice from your bank.

Sure. I need to follow up accordingly.
Are you in town? lets catch up for beer...hope you don't mind wink
Re: CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad by dikeigbo2(m): 11:07am On Dec 28, 2015
modath:

God bless you & all yours!!!

This your submission is why I no longer join issues with the wailers!!! No bueno, Ayaf tire.

They argue to suit their bias without bearing in mind that oil ain't making money & don Fortunato done fritter away family savings on his failed reelection bid!

You can't eat your cake & have it!!!

Badt Gal, you just quote my signature,let every hand be on deck and get things working, we are tired of this blame game ,let's stop crying for these spilled milk and be refocused to a working economic sustainability......

Watch out for this epic movie, BLAME GAME ,SEASON 1.
Staring, Lie Mohammed,Mohammadu Buhari,Aisha Buhari,Hell Rufai,Adams Oshiomole and other ogbonge actors, like Ngene Ukwuenu and her group,. Grab your copy now!!!
Re: CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad by Nobody: 11:08am On Dec 28, 2015
TeOwl:
monthly limit is $1000... daily limit is over $100... i dont know the daily limit but it is over $100. however you cannot spend more than $1000 in a month.

......I think its depends on the bank or rather varies! because I am currently staying in Abidjan, but since last week, I cannot withdraw more than 45,000 CFA in a day which is about $100. I am using Ecobank master Card!
Re: CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad by Dee60: 11:09am On Dec 28, 2015
TheSixthSense:

How else when they've stopped forex deposits into domicilliary accounts and you think people shouldn't protest?

Ask any senior banker and they will confess that CBN has allowed dollars deposits to a certain limit (think USD10,000 per month) to cater for travellers and those who need to send monies to their wards abroad. For whatever reason, the banks are yet to comply! So, there is no blame to the CBN on that!

Originally, ATM was meant to enable Nigerians travelling abroad to collect up to USD500 per day. That left an opening for millions living abroad (many of these are not students). It is difficult for Nigeria to fund this if we dont want to pile up external debts at such a high interest rate. Imagine that the western countries peg 1% rate on their own internal funds and apply 21% rate when countries like Nigeria borrow. Should we keep piling debts for future generations?

I pity the students. I pity the travellers. Let the banks start accepting USD as directed, so that USD can fund USD. That makes some sense. Yes, Naira may lose value, but that is the cost of Nigerians always CONSUMING what we dont produce!

4 Likes

Re: CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad by 989900: 11:09am On Dec 28, 2015
So, what are the alternatives?
Re: CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad by Ganjafama(m): 11:10am On Dec 28, 2015
searay:
Does this mean that I will not be able to use my visa card to make an order from aliepress.com, a Chinese online mall?
Yes. No more buying from aliexpress

1 Like

Re: CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad by WaffenSS(m): 11:11am On Dec 28, 2015
We all played a part.

When everyone was busy dollarizing the country...school fees, house and shop rents, girlfriends...everything was paid for in dollars.

A friend bought my old MacBook Air and insisted in paying in dollars ($300) even though I've long since abandoned my Dom account. He was also paid for services rendered in dollars.

I was inconvenienced having to drive all the way to a BDC for it.

And then PDP came along and rubbished the naira with their dollar rain.

No country outside the U.S. worships the dollar like a national currency as Nigeria and our "overseas" mentality.

5 Likes

Re: CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad by miqos02(m): 11:15am On Dec 28, 2015
searay:
Does this mean that I will not be able to use my visa card to make an order from aliepress.com, a Chinese online mall?
.u will, but there is a maximum monthly limit

1 Like

Re: CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad by Nobody: 11:17am On Dec 28, 2015
Dee60:

Ask any senior banker and they will confess that CBN has allowed dollars deposits to a certain limit (think USD10,000 per month) to cater for travellers and those who need to send monies to their wards abroad. For whatever reason, the banks are yet to comply! So, there is no blame to the CBN on that!

Originally, ATM was meant to enable Nigerians travelling abroad to collect up to USD500 per day. That left an opening for millions living abroad (many of these are not students). It is difficult for Nigeria to fund this if we dont want to pile up external debts at such a high interest rate. Imagine that the western countries peg 1% rate on their own internal funds and apply 21% rate when countries like Nigeria borrow. Should we keep piling debts for future generations?

I pity the students. I pity the travellers. Let the banks start accepting USD as directed, so that USD can fund USD. That makes some sense. Yes, Naira may lose value, but that is the cost of Nigerians always CONSUMING what we dont produce!
grin grin .Naija! We like living in denial. If you go Uk banks and give dem Dollars dem go just show the door! And tale you to go USA go keep am there! Dem go even suggest the airline wey dey check-in during that hour! grin

3 Likes

Re: CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad by Nobody: 11:18am On Dec 28, 2015
dunkem21:

They already know and that's why they campaigned for change .. Remember, good things don't come easy ..

Maybe, they will all have to come back because Nigeria is now better than Dubai with constant 23 hrs/day power supply .. and the price of fuel to be reduced in January ..

In your dreams. Even Togo has constant power supply than Lagos now to talk of reduction in price of pms which isn't feasible yet.
Re: CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad by Nobody: 11:20am On Dec 28, 2015
okay do NOT email them... keep complaining on a faceless online forum, maybe Buhari would reverse the restriction on your own ATM card.

Bevista:
Really?! You expect the CFA Institute to alter their online payment platform because of on dude in a country where Capital Controls are being enforced?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad by Dee60: 11:20am On Dec 28, 2015
Rexphobia:

Can I quickly respond? Why do we have to defend the naira? Why can't the forces of demand and supply give us the true worth of the naira. Even if a free fall is the cost we have to pay for it.

There are several things you need dollars for other than pay for school fees... A thousand and one services are paid for in dollars and we sure don't offer them here.

Let's think about a saner way to battle this? The solution to all economic problems is not embedded in controlling the volume of money in circulation. You and I know that

Please is CBN a regulator or spectator? Because I don't understand why the regulator is trying to distant itself from the draconian foreign exchange restriction? So the banks are now autonomous? . Silence is still golden.

Well, for too long we have relied solely on oil exports for forex. Now that ommodity has lost significant value in the market. We will suffocate our economy if we just leave everything to the dymanics of demand and supply when we know pretty well that we have a lot of local demand for USD and we have little (and less and less of) supply of USD. In fact the real problem is that we export crude oil at give away prices and import refined oil at exhorbitant prices. It is a silly thing to do. It takes 2 years maximum to build refineries big enough to meet local demands! Yet, we have not done so. I cannot explain why! But to allow a free fall is to throw a death penalty on our economy. Dont forget that if Naira is devalued 50% today, price of petrol in filling stations will go up by at least 25%. Will that not throw the country into crisis? With an army of twenty five million unemployed youths, how would they move around to fend for living with a free falling currency that will lead to a free falling price of petrol at the filling stations?

We cannot keep consuming what we dont produce and expect our economy to improve!

Let the CB find solutions - quick ones - for students who need to pay fees. But to allow Nigerians LIVING abrod to save Naira and spend dollars, that wont fly. No sane country does that!

4 Likes

Re: CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad by Nobody: 11:21am On Dec 28, 2015
WaffenSS:
We all played a part.

When everyone was busy dollarizing the country...school fees, house and shop rents, girlfriends...everything was paid for in dollars.

A friend bought my old MacBook Air and insisted in paying in dollars ($300) even though I've long since abandoned my Dom account. He was also paid for services rendered in dollars.

I was inconvenienced having to drive all the way to a BDC for it.

And then PDP came along and rubbished the naira with their dollar rain.

No country outside the U.S. worships the dollar like a national currency as Nigeria and our "overseas" mentality.
cheesy GBAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

List Of Investment Company In Nigeria / Fraudsters Apprehended At First Bank In Aba While Trying To Scam A Woman- Photos / 19 Facts About Dangote’s Refinery And Petrochemical Plant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.