Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,698 members, 7,823,968 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:27 PM

US Opts To Buy Nigeria’s Crude, Says Kachikwu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / US Opts To Buy Nigeria’s Crude, Says Kachikwu (31330 Views)

As Crisis Deepens, Buhari Opts To Take Wednesday Off / Nigeria's Oil Production Climbs To 2.1m Barrels Per Day, Says Kachikwu / Serving Nigeria Costs Me At Least A Million Dollars Every Year, Says Kachikwu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

US Opts To Buy Nigeria’s Crude, Says Kachikwu by fulanimafia: 5:05am On Dec 29, 2015
Minister of State for Petroleum Dr. Emmanuel Ibe Kachukwu has raised Nigerians’ hope about the dwindling oil revenue, with the news that the United States will now buy some crude from Nigeria.

“Post the President’s visit, there has been an overture from them to say they want to buy limited quantity of Nigerian oil to support the market. We are still ongoing on that,” he said.

Kachikwu allayed fears over the return of the U.S. to oil export, stressing that the country’s sale of oil does not foreclose its tendency to buy crude at the same time.

According to him, the volume of oil that the US intends to do is little and it is for her internal consumption.

Kachikwu, who spoke with reporters at the Kaduna airport after his inspection of the Kaduna Refinery and Petrochemical Company (KRPC) in Kaduna State, said the U.S. is still importing oil to build up her reserves.

He said: “The fact of U.S. being back into the sales market obviously what you find is that the volume of export U.S. intends to do is very minimal for a lot of internal consumption.

“And strategically they are still reaching out to buy certain barrels and, in fact, they are hoping to buy a couple of Nigerian barrels. So the strategic reserve is key for them to make a very strong strategic reserve. They have also produced more than they have never done in their history now .

“From the financial point of view they sometimes sell and still buy, and they do that with gold, they do that with cotton, they do it with a lot of commodities. The whole idea is that if oil prices are cheaper, they buy, and use that to fill their reserves.”

According to Kachikwu, the United States has never completely exited the importation of Nigeria’s crude since three major oil companies – Cheveron, Exxonmobil and one other – still take their 40% share to their refineries.

What the United States stopped was her importation of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) share of the crude, the minister said.

Kachikwu, who is also the Group Managing Director (GMD) of the NNPC said the two countries were discussing the purchase of the corporation’s share of Nigeria’s crude.

He said: “Three of the oil companies are U.S. At least I can say Exxonmobil , I can say Cheveron, but you realise that 40% of their production goes into the U.S., so when you hear zero importation of Nigerian oil it is not really stopped . It is not true because they take their shares to their refineries.

“What we are talking about is the NNPC portion of the crude which is 60% and that is the element we are talking about – whether or not they will continue to buy.”

Analysing the nature of the Nigeria/US oil market relations, the minister said: “ You also know that they are diversifying to the Shale in terms of the sale of products. Now you take 900,000 from a million barrels, out of that 455 is local intervention. So what you are talking of is about 450, 000 barrels. It is not enough in terms of the NNPC portion.”

Asked what the Ministry of Petroleum Resources was doing to ensure that the Department of Petroleum Resources (DPR) is better equipped to monitor oil production in view of the impression that the DPR has no knowledge of the volume of oil that the International Oil Companies (IOCs) produce at the well head, the minister said it was false.

He insisted that the DPR could ascertain the level of production, stressing that it was the inspection that brought about the volume of production that the Federal Government used for its budget.

Kachikwu said: “That is not true. I think the DPR knows the quantity of oil we produce. We do know the volume of oil we produce and that is the number we use for budgeting. I can tell you, for example, we are doing 1.89million barrels per day. I can tell you we are targeting 2.2million barrels per day next year. There are measurement indexes for that.”

The minister said it takes an average of three to five years to build a new refinery at $2billion to $2.5billion which is too huge for government to afford.

“ It takes investment of $2billion and $2.5billion and those are not monies that we can afford,” he said, adding: “What we are encouraging people to do is to unbundle refineries that are all over the world, which are for economic reasons being de-assembled and bring them here and set them up and run them”.

This, said Kachikwu, would prune the cost of refineries for investors, especially when they are sharing the same premises, the same power source, because power is a key element of that cost.

He maintained that adoption of this method of construction of a fairly used refinery could be take about 18 months to build and reduce the cost to below one billion dollar and bring about quicker return on investment.
http://thenationonlineng.net/us-opts-to-buy-nigerias-crude-says-kachikwu/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: US Opts To Buy Nigeria’s Crude, Says Kachikwu by fromnigeria(m): 5:10am On Dec 29, 2015
As much as this is a good news cheesy

For sustainability' sake, Mr President,
I implore you and your team to device an alternative source of national income.

God bless Nigeria
God bless President Mahammadu Buhari.

7 Likes

Re: US Opts To Buy Nigeria’s Crude, Says Kachikwu by brunofarad(m): 5:13am On Dec 29, 2015
This maybe a good news. If true

I think outside the box

1 Like

Re: US Opts To Buy Nigeria’s Crude, Says Kachikwu by fulanimafia: 5:14am On Dec 29, 2015
fulanimafia:
“Post the President’s visit, there has been an overture from them to say they want to buy limited quantity of Nigerian oil to support the market. We are still ongoing on that,” he said.

Probably Jona-arms should have been 'junketting' more to sustain our business relationships with our strategic partners that purchase our oil, instead of fighting America and claiming they did not like his government because he refused their gay agenda.

Please junket on if progress is the result PMB.

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: US Opts To Buy Nigeria’s Crude, Says Kachikwu by eleojo23: 5:24am On Dec 29, 2015
We are still here talking about oil abi?
We better start diversifying our economy instead of sitting down and giving ourselves hope that the US will come and buy our oil.

77 Likes 4 Shares

Re: US Opts To Buy Nigeria’s Crude, Says Kachikwu by Burger01(m): 5:28am On Dec 29, 2015
The more the wailers look the less they see....in fact, the wailers will never see anything good in Buhari's dispensation...but you know what,...we don't give a fvck! undecided

Carry go my president.
smiley

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: US Opts To Buy Nigeria’s Crude, Says Kachikwu by REDshouse(m): 5:34am On Dec 29, 2015
means $2b dasuki embezzled can actually give a brand new refinery... Dasuki must perish in Prison adn for the judge that granted him bail must also see his children and family perished in front of him...

Nigeria can no longer afford a brand new refinery, na Tokunbo or bend down select Refinery we want to buy which will be outdated in few years to come and follow the likes of kaduna refinery and other refineries in the country.

31 Likes

Re: US Opts To Buy Nigeria’s Crude, Says Kachikwu by osesology(m): 5:42am On Dec 29, 2015
I hope he is not just saying this to allays the fears that followed Obama's speech on his last visit to Africa about their non patronage of the Nigerian oil market.
I also hope that these our refineries that have started working again will not break down due to non maintainance, negligence and corruption which Nigeria is well known for. We really need them to be working full time.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: US Opts To Buy Nigeria’s Crude, Says Kachikwu by modath(f): 5:47am On Dec 29, 2015
I have major Mixed feelings about this , relaxed that it will buy us a little wriggle room to fund some developmental projects & diversification.. feeling of reservation & hoping it won't lull us into believing all is now well& a false sense of uhuru....

4 Likes

Re: US Opts To Buy Nigeria’s Crude, Says Kachikwu by EzePromoe: 5:58am On Dec 29, 2015
Indifferent

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: US Opts To Buy Nigeria’s Crude, Says Kachikwu by Amberon: 6:10am On Dec 29, 2015
The U.S is such a smart country. They have one of the largest oil reserves in the world and still want to buy more to add to their reserve bank because oil is at its lowest price in history. They know that in the long run, they would make huge gain.

common sense is not common.

61 Likes 2 Shares

Re: US Opts To Buy Nigeria’s Crude, Says Kachikwu by coldsummer: 6:25am On Dec 29, 2015
Seriously Nigeria has to stop depending on oil.

We need to quickly diversify our economy.

Some countries have no oil but are doing excellently well. Tokyo (Japan) "Switzerland Netherlands etc.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: US Opts To Buy Nigeria’s Crude, Says Kachikwu by ZeroTolerance: 6:41am On Dec 29, 2015
REDshouse:
means $2b dasuki embezzled can actually give a brand new refinery... Dasuki must perish in Prison adn for the judge that granted him bail must also see his children and family perished in front of him...

Nigeria can no longer afford a brand new refinery, na Tokunbo or bend down select Refinery we want to buy which will be outdated in few years to come and follow the likes of kaduna refinery and other refineries in the country.

Has Buhari not made more than that amount since he became President? What has he done with it?
Nonsense.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: US Opts To Buy Nigeria’s Crude, Says Kachikwu by ZeroTolerance: 6:43am On Dec 29, 2015
See how the Fulani parasite is jumping up and down because of oil. SMH

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: US Opts To Buy Nigeria’s Crude, Says Kachikwu by Nobody: 6:46am On Dec 29, 2015
Where is lalasticlala sef?

Day don break. Holidays son finish sef
Re: US Opts To Buy Nigeria’s Crude, Says Kachikwu by omenka(m): 7:01am On Dec 29, 2015
ZeroTolerance:
See how the Fulani parasite is jumping up and down because of oil.
SMH
See hatred oozing from all the holes in your head like sewage out of a broken septic tank.

May God help you.

@post: I'm just fed up with oil, I wish we weren't even planning on exporting a drop of it- that is the only way we can get to where we desire to be economically.

20 Likes

Re: US Opts To Buy Nigeria’s Crude, Says Kachikwu by ZeroTolerance: 7:04am On Dec 29, 2015
omenka:
See hatred oozing from all the holes in your head like sewage out of a broken septic tank.

May God help you.

@post: I'm just fed up with oil, I wish we weren't even planning on exporting a drop of it- that is the only way we can get to where we desire to be economically.
The Fulani parasite will never be fed up with oil.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: US Opts To Buy Nigeria’s Crude, Says Kachikwu by Texcoco(m): 7:04am On Dec 29, 2015
We noticed a lot of masturbation going on about in this thread but would you blame the janjaweede masturbators given the bashings and knocks they've recieved as regards to Lie mohammed's propaganda in addition to boko haram mass killings of recent?. Anyway,we fail to see the correlation about an oil export nation mopping up the current oil glutt at its lowest pricing in decades-an economic situation they closely engineered and are keen to take advantage of- and the craze to masturbate when we have failed to diversify the economy,let us forget the dumb policy of borrowing trillions to fund a welfarist budget for another topic.....

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: US Opts To Buy Nigeria’s Crude, Says Kachikwu by SmartMugu: 7:06am On Dec 29, 2015
I see another trick unfolding. In the past, US was one of the biggest buyers of Nigeria's crude oil, if not the biggest customer.
Today, US produces about three times more oil than Nigeria does per day.
This is the same country that maintained its oil reserve for several years, buying from other countries instead. Beyond expectations, US suddenly became an oil exporting country.

Afterwards, oil prices became less than half of what it used to be.

The idea is to make certain countries desperate. Desperate countries often take desperate measures. Desperate countries fall for traps like this easily.

I wouldn't be surprised if oil prices get reduced to $2 per barrel by the end of next year if other oil producing countries fall for this. This is no favor.

Everyone needs a second thought before dining with a witch. No country needs anything from Nigeria without strategically thinking out multiple folds of what translates to her own benefits.

I hope Kachikwu doesn't end up acting like a desperate salesman on this deal.

~Mugu

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: US Opts To Buy Nigeria’s Crude, Says Kachikwu by Sunnycliff(m): 7:07am On Dec 29, 2015
I don't believe u but I pray it's true. Let it not be a form of advanced economic control

1 Like

Re: US Opts To Buy Nigeria’s Crude, Says Kachikwu by Akinz0126(m): 7:07am On Dec 29, 2015
I hope they are not trying to candahar our head again.Hope say no be Lai ba
Re: US Opts To Buy Nigeria’s Crude, Says Kachikwu by Vicserecord: 7:09am On Dec 29, 2015
Ok
Re: US Opts To Buy Nigeria’s Crude, Says Kachikwu by saintkel(m): 7:09am On Dec 29, 2015
eleojo23:
We are still here talking about oil abi?
We better start diversifying our economy instead of sitting down and giving ourselves hope that the US will come and buy our oil.
Supported. US buying our oil does not necessarily mean good news. We have to learn to be independent from dis foreign cabals

5 Likes

Re: US Opts To Buy Nigeria’s Crude, Says Kachikwu by JozeeprosperT: 7:10am On Dec 29, 2015
Alright
Re: US Opts To Buy Nigeria’s Crude, Says Kachikwu by ritababe(f): 7:10am On Dec 29, 2015
saintkel:
Supported. US buying our oil does not necessarily mean good news. We have to learn to be independent from dis foreign cabals

seconded

3 Likes

Re: US Opts To Buy Nigeria’s Crude, Says Kachikwu by princeonx: 7:11am On Dec 29, 2015
Nothing impresses me any more about Nigeria oil. Since wey they born me na em I dey hear of nigeria oyel money! Watin they use oyel money do I no see!! Make that oyel kuku dry make we think and talk of something else!

2 Likes

Re: US Opts To Buy Nigeria’s Crude, Says Kachikwu by Odunsco01(m): 7:11am On Dec 29, 2015
ITS MY BIRTHDAY! HBD to moi

5 Likes

Re: US Opts To Buy Nigeria’s Crude, Says Kachikwu by Eminado55: 7:11am On Dec 29, 2015
Okkkk
Re: US Opts To Buy Nigeria’s Crude, Says Kachikwu by charlesucheh(m): 7:11am On Dec 29, 2015
ISSORITE................... SO THE USA IS BUYING OUR CRUDE OUT OF SYMPATHY RIGHT!!!!!!!!??

6 Likes

Re: US Opts To Buy Nigeria’s Crude, Says Kachikwu by fulanimafia: 7:12am On Dec 29, 2015
This one is still sleeping on a bicycle chanting 'awa oil'. Better brace up because it is quickly becoming worthless and your lands and waters are too damaged for agriculture. No more drunken lazing around waiting for 'deve' to drop so you can buy more Seamans and periwinkle.

Are you even aware oil contributed less than 20% of our budget financing lazy parasite? Didn't think so.

ZeroTolerance:
See how the Fulani parasite is jumping up and down because of oil.
SMH

1 Like

Re: US Opts To Buy Nigeria’s Crude, Says Kachikwu by Chanchit: 7:12am On Dec 29, 2015
Everything about US is politics, when Bubu disagrees with them now,they would remember they have enough fuel. Abi how would I have yam at home and still go out to buy yam.

2 Likes

Re: US Opts To Buy Nigeria’s Crude, Says Kachikwu by obiorathesubtle: 7:12am On Dec 29, 2015
The US is buying our crude out of sympathy?

Is this change?

Are we making progress? Does this have progress written all over it?

Look at where the APC government has towed us to.. This is by far one of the disgraceful things I've seen in this administration..

Well, don't expect better from a school dropout and his band of robots and hypocrites.. Generally speaking.

So.. After buying our crude, we'll still be on the foreign crude market.. Importing fuel products abi?

Nigeria we hail thee!

But even more.. PMB we hail thee!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ekweremadu: Why IPOB Members Attacked Me In Germany / Travelers On Tegina-Zugero Highway In Niger Flee During A Bandit Attack (Video) / Niger Republic Denies Receiving N1.15bn Vehicles From Buhari Government

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.