Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,578 members, 7,847,441 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 05:33 PM

School Boy Christianity - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / School Boy Christianity (290 Views)

See What A 7 Years Old Sunday School Boy Asked His Teacher / Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria / Why Is There No Christianity For Christians Section (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

School Boy Christianity by Ogasafa(m): 12:45pm On Dec 29, 2015
I think we should be careful not to have a school boy idea of Christianity. What really Mr. Lewis called "Christianity under water" because it cannot progress. It is simply confined to an idea, or in our case a book.

I set out to study philosophy because I wanted to "prove the existence" of God. Little did I know that God doesn't need proving. Philosophy gave me the knowledge of God, not how to acknowledge Him. It gave me belief in God, not how to believe. I knew God but I didn't know Him. I knew how to define contrition but I didn't feel it. All because God was confined to a book.

Christianity under water never grows. It is school boy Christianity. And faith will never grow because the school boy defines faith as "believing something you know is not true". If you are out there and you study philosophy and all the God-talk is getting at you. I can tell you what will happen to you within the first three years. You will be so full of theories of God that you will no longer be talking about the Christian God. You would be talking about religion as if it were a disease that man needs to be rid off and your course mates would see you as a role model because they have this wrong notion that the one who takes the less popular view is the intelligent one. Satan comes in various ways, mostly ways we never thought possible. I speak from experience.

Now I do not only have the knowledge of God, I acknowledge Him. Not only the belief in God, I believe in Him. Not only the definition of contrition, I feel it. And this last point is important. This does not make you a prefect or even a "good" person. Infact, since I acknowledged God, I have found that I have fallen short of His Grace many times in a single hour and even - God forgive me - do more evil than I thought I could in my previous level. But It only means, you will be able to know now that the things you used to call "human nature" or "frailty" is sin. And being able to acknowledge God and believe in His Goodness, you would feel sorry for having offended so good a God - contrition -  and this human nature and frailty you would consciously submit it to Christ, not to cure it but to kill it so that your will and thoughts and actions would no longer be yours but completely submitted to the will and influence of and one with Christ.

Will you do it today? I have and it has made all the difference.

(1) (Reply)

Building Sustainably: Learning From God / Qualified For Commendation? / Dear Truthman2012!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.