Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,773 members, 7,831,485 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 07:32 PM

Why Do We Pray ? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do We Pray ? (668 Views)

Should We Pray Abt Everything? Electricity? Weather? And So On? / How Do We Pray Over Meal: Bless This Food Oh Lord! / Can We Pray Together? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do We Pray ? by Nobody: 8:44am On Jun 12, 2009
I wounder why do people do pray and what makes we want to pray but believe it or not, I think people pray so God won't crush them like bugs. What are your opinion.
Re: Why Do We Pray ? by Tudor3(m): 9:14am On Jun 12, 2009
Correct! People pray out of fear.
I remember when i was little after reading the O.T we'll be so scared of punishment than we'll have no option than to fear god. What kind of diety instills fear in the minds of followers?
Re: Why Do We Pray ? by jagunlabi(m): 10:45am On Jun 12, 2009
Tùdor:

What kind of diety instills fear in the minds of followers?
A false one.
Re: Why Do We Pray ? by jumie(f): 11:48am On Jun 12, 2009
We pray to have our needs met! simple.

If you have not been praying I challenge you to start doing so now, and you will see changes in your life.
Re: Why Do We Pray ? by manmustwac(m): 12:16pm On Jun 12, 2009
jumie:

If you have not been praying I challenge you to start doing so now, and you will see changes in your life.
Prayer dosen't solve any needs and anyone who believes that is delusional. Prayer is just words and actions speak louder than words.
Re: Why Do We Pray ? by toneyb: 12:33pm On Jun 12, 2009
jumie:

I haven't prayed for over 10 years now and my needs have been meet in fact far more than those who pray around me daily.
Re: Why Do We Pray ? by Nobody: 3:51pm On Jun 12, 2009
Mt 26:41
Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.

We pray because we do not want to fall in temptation.

Mt 26:53
Thinkest thou that I cannot now pray to my Father, and he shall presently give me more than twelve legions of angels?

We pray because we need our needs met, like someone said earlier

Lk 6:12
And it came to pass in those days, that he went out into a mountain to pray, and continued all night in prayer to God.

Note: Jesus could not have been afraid of being "crushed like a bug." There's such a thing as fellowship with God.

Lk 10:2
Therefore said he unto them, The harvest truly is great, but the labourers are few: pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he would send forth labourers into his harvest.

We pray for lost souls.

Lk 18:1
18:1 And he spake a parable unto them to this end, that men ought always to pray, and not to faint;

We have been instructed to pray.

Lk 21:36

36 Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man.

KJV

I don't think I need to explain the last one. Please note that by We I mean Christians.

toneyb:

I haven't prayed for over 10 years now and my needs have been meet in fact far more than those who pray around me daily.

The devil sees the big picture that you don't see. And maybe those people haven't been praying right.
Re: Why Do We Pray ? by wagbaje: 11:36pm On Jun 14, 2009
I pray as the way I communicate with God since I believe that it is in the mind of God to answer prayer.
Re: Why Do We Pray ? by mamlaka(m): 2:52pm On Jul 21, 2009
edwardd:

I wounder why do people do pray and what makes we want to pray but believe it or not, I think people pray so God won't crush them like bugs. What are your opinion.

You are wrong!!! 

Christianity is a personal relationship with God like that of a man and his wife.  You marry your wife to relate with her intimately and not use her as your house help.  Otherwise you could have gotten one out there.

Prayer is 24/7.  Always in tune with God as a friend and father i.e always tune to heaven FM as God is always transmitting from His station!

(1) (Reply)

Why Evolution Is True / Todays Devotion,1st August 2009.(the God Of Impossibilities) / I, A Former Islamic Extremist . . .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.