Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,283 members, 7,826,116 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 10:03 AM

How To Stop Being Broke - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How To Stop Being Broke (959 Views)

Tired Of Being Broke? See How To Earn Passive Income In Nigeria / 6 Money Myths That Has Left So Many Nigerians Broke / Tired Of Being Broke? See An Opportunity Many Nigerians Have Overlooked (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Stop Being Broke by Emasky4real(m): 6:45am On Dec 31, 2015
The truth is that being broke is not an accident; it is a product of living in a certain way. It is okay to be broke once in a while, but to consistently find oneself in the state of being broke is abnormal. Something is wrong somewhere that has to be fixed or adjusted. No matter what may be the cause of your being broke, I am sure that one or more of the points I suggested below will be of help to you.

1. CHANGE YOUR THINKING: You started life from dependency to independence. When you were young, you depend solely on what your parents provide for you. Since your parents are the one responsible for your upkeep, you quickly shift blame to them anytime you have any financial problem. This kind of thinking has the likelihood of following you into adulthood. You believe certain persons are responsible for your being broke. For instance, you may blame the government for not creating job, or your parents for not giving you a quality education. If you fail in business, you tend to blame certain factors that are beyond your control. The first step in stopping being broke is by changing this kind of thinking. You have to stop engaging in the blame game, and accept total responsibility for your life. If you must be free financially, you must accept that you are responsible for your being broke. Stop expecting factors outside your control such as uncles, aunties, parents, government, good luck etc to bail you out of your financial predicament. When you put too much hope in these things, and your expectation is cut short, where you will find yourself is the state of depression and frustration, and you will ultimately become sad. When you accept total responsibility for your financial situation, you will find yourself in the position of power where you can take action that will help you turn the table in your favour, and if otherwise, then be ready to remain where you have always being. Without accepting personal responsibility for your financial situation, every other step in this list will definitely be difficult to carry out, but if you can achieve this first step, then you are on the path of liberating yourself from being broke.

2. HAVE MULTIPLE STREAMS OF INCOME: Some people find themselves in the state of being broke because they don’t have sustainable source of income. If what you do for a living does not guarantee you steady income to meet your needs, then you will likely be broke at one point or the other. Also when you depend solely on one source of income as a means of solving your financially problem, you will likely find yourself in the state of being broke when that one stream of income fails. To avoid this, first you have to make sure that what you do to make money is viable enough to give you steady income, and second try as much as possible to create other streams of income which will serve as a back up when one stream fails. If you are a business person, what other business opportunities in the area of your business can you harness to generate more income? No matter what you do for a living, you can create other streams of income. If you don’t have the needed skill, go for the training. The big question is what else can you do to make money beside your current source of income?

3. LIVE BELOW YOUR MEANS: it has been said that “it is not how much you make but how much you keep that determines your financial future.” This list will not be complete without adding this point. So many persons found themselves in the state of being broke not because they are not making enough money but they have refused to learn how to spend wisely. No matter how much you earn, if you are of the habit of not living below your means, you will always be broke. You have to learn to adjust your lifestyle and spending to the kind of income you earn in such a way that you will always have some savings to meet emergency. If you spend all your money as they come, then you will never be free from being broke.

4. PLAN YOUR EXPENDITURE IN ADVANCE: To stop being broke, you need to live your life like an economist. Back in my secondary school days, I learned in economics what is called scale of preference. A scale of preference is a list which shows your needs according to their importance. It is a fact that human wants are unlimited, so as result, there is the need to always make a list of your most important needs according to their importance. When you have this list, you will be able to spend your money on things that will bring more value to your life at certain time and not just spending money on unnecessary things. Planning your spending in advance will prevent you from the trap of impulse buying. You are expected to spend money on what you need and not what you want.

5. DON’T COUNT YOUR EGGS BEFORE THEY ARE HATCHED: Sometimes you will be expecting certain amount of money to be paid to you, such money maybe gift, salary or wages. No matter what, it is wise not to place 100% hope on any money you are expecting, because there is the likelihood of not getting the money as at when expected. There are cases where employers refuse to pay their employee for months without prior notice. I am also sure that at one point or other, someone has promised to give you money and fail to fulfill his promise as at when due. So to put 100% hope on such money is to set yourself up for being broke. Even when you are expecting money, you need to plan your finances in way that ensure that there is left over cash to cope in case your expectation fails.

I am of the opinion that if you can act on the five points discussed in this post, you will always have cash with you to meet your financial needs.

Written by Taiwo Emayosanlomo, Success caoch and Personal develpment expert.

Source:http://taiwoemayosan..com/2015/11/how-to-stop-being-broke.html

2 Likes

Re: How To Stop Being Broke by Emasky4real(m): 6:46am On Dec 31, 2015
Please try to drop your thought on this post. Thanks In advance.
Re: How To Stop Being Broke by Teeneyo(m): 12:55pm On Dec 31, 2015
You are right on all fronts..Happy new year in advance @Op
Re: How To Stop Being Broke by Emasky4real(m): 1:35pm On Dec 31, 2015
Teeneyo:
You are right on all fronts..Happy new year in advance @Op
I wish you the same. Thanks for commenting.

1 Like

Re: How To Stop Being Broke by seoxpert(m): 4:11pm On Dec 31, 2015
I just got the antidote to an unlikely situation if I don't take it lightly.
Re: How To Stop Being Broke by roqrules04(m): 4:19pm On Dec 31, 2015
Nice write up
Re: How To Stop Being Broke by Emasky4real(m): 4:37pm On Dec 31, 2015
seoxpert:
I just got the antidote to an unlikely situation if I don't take it lightly.
Thanks for commenting.

(1) (Reply)

Where In Lagos Can I Get This Done / Barbers Urgently Needed!!!! / Photos From Jennifer Obayuwana Bd Party

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.