Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,750 members, 7,820,587 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:43 PM

My Interview Experience - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / My Interview Experience (20776 Views)

My Funny Interview Experience / My Interview Experience With A Banking Firm / My Job Interview Experience Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Interview Experience by Nihilist: 11:37am On Jan 01, 2016
Dahveydson:

This is new and I totally disagree.

Even at that, the process of settling dispute between and among employees and employers still falls under the prisms of Management.

You don't have to agree...

But it is the truth. HR isn't there to manage people and HR isn't there to settle disputes between Employer and Employee. HR is there to cover the Employer's arsë.

1 Like

Re: My Interview Experience by Nihilist: 11:39am On Jan 01, 2016
Lofx:

You can actually adapt STAR ...
Even your proposed answer to question 2 can be extended with a situational context to move it from a theoretical narrative to a relatable discussion that is based on the candidate's own experiences/ personal philosophy.

Also for question 1. When someone challenges your competence or ability to perform a role on the basis of your course of study, the real question is that do you have a practical understanding of the role and do you have what it takes to perform it well? Convince me. I would dimension the facets of the role/ function and provide details of my experiences and results in such areas.

You are right to an extent..
But question 2 did not require a STAR example as it was probing his personal outlook to life.

What it boiled down to was asking if the OP was honest. You don't claim to be honest and back it up with an example. If I were an employer, I would be wary of someone trying to convince me of a story that paints him as an honest man

Honesty is proved by actions on the job.

Seriously, people overthink their responses in an interview. It's supposed to be a conversation and not a game where you have to guess the right answer.

I would give my view on the topic and stop there.

Less is more on many occasions
Re: My Interview Experience by Dahveydson(m): 11:51am On Jan 01, 2016
Nihilist:

You don't have to agree...

But it is the truth. HR isn't there to manage people and HR isn't there to settle disputes between Employer and Employee. HR is there to cover the Employer's arsë.

Lol. The recruitment and training that HR engages in is for what?
Re: My Interview Experience by Nihilist: 12:11pm On Jan 01, 2016
Dahveydson:

Lol. The recruitment and training that HR engages in is for what?

You still don't seem to get it despite being told by a prospective employer.

Everything HR does is geared towards minimising incoming lawsuits.

HR does health and safety training not because the department personally cares about your safety, but so that if anything goes wrong, the business can stand up in court or a tribunal and show proof that they trained you well and pass liability elsewhere...

HR 'recruiting' is just an opportunity for the company to claim that they are equal opportunity recruiters.

Even though do a lot of writing at School, Education is not about writing. I hope you get it now
Re: My Interview Experience by Nobody: 12:12pm On Jan 01, 2016
For the lengthy recruitment process...less than 100k even 80k .
Was highly disappointed.
GEPDC is just bants.
More reputable firms with higher pay don't even do all that.
But hey....moving forward!!
Re: My Interview Experience by Dahveydson(m): 12:19pm On Jan 01, 2016
Nihilist:

HR does health and safety training not because the department personally cares about your safety, but so that if anything goes wrong, the business can stand up in court or a tribunal and show proof that they trained you well and pass liability elsewhere...

HR 'recruiting' is just an opportunity for the company to claim that they are equal opportunity recruiters.

Even though do a lot of writing at School, Education is not about writing. I hope you get it now

Like everything, there are perspectives and this is another side to the function of HR.
Re: My Interview Experience by dnapstar(m): 12:57pm On Jan 01, 2016
Let me introduce at this point that I studied political science and have a management certification.

Please what management certificate is it and with what Institute?
Re: My Interview Experience by Dahveydson(m): 1:11pm On Jan 01, 2016
dnapstar:
Let me introduce at this point that I studied political science and have a management certification.

Please what management certificate is it and with what Institute?

Institute of strategic management
Re: My Interview Experience by Originalsly: 2:01pm On Jan 01, 2016
Bro... I can understand how stunned you were. In fact... I had to reread that part thinking I had missed something! You must be a cool guy to not call him an idiot! On the end justifies the means....achieve the objective by any means necessary!

1 Like

Re: My Interview Experience by markovnikoff001(m): 2:30pm On Jan 01, 2016
Nihilist:

From your response, it is obvious you have only worked for a small organisation, or one with very little structure...
...HR has nothing to do with lawsuits; the Legal and/or Contracts Department handles this
...HR may coordinate trainings in general but it does not handle Health and Safety Trainings, the HES department does
...HR does handle recruiting, infact it is one of their major functions, and for small organisations, their sole function.

To gain more understanding, read my response to the topic at the bottom of page 1 of this thread
Re: My Interview Experience by Nihilist: 3:28pm On Jan 01, 2016
markovnikoff001:

From your response, it is obvious you have only worked for a small organisation, or one with very little structure...
...HR has nothing to do with lawsuits; the Legal and/or Contracts Department handles this
...HR may coordinate trainings in general but it does not handle Health and Safety Trainings, the HES department does
...HR does handle recruiting, infact it is one of their major functions, and for small organisations, their sole function.

To gain more understanding, read my response to the topic at the bottom of page 1 of this thread

Lool.

HR is the first response for legal matters for any organisation. It's when water don pass garri that the lawyers kick in.

I've worked with several multinational firms in my career in Business and IT.

I'm not talking about what HR is believed to do, I'm talking about what they actually do.

The modern business\strategy model requires HR to align first and foremost with business ideas for people management.

In other words, HR is there to protect the business. If you've truly worked in any big organisation, you'd understand what I'm talking about.

HR is the company hitman.

1 Like

Re: My Interview Experience by ProudOlodo: 9:23pm On Jan 01, 2016
Nihilist:
The real purpose of the HR department is to reduce or eliminate Employer Liabiity.

Quite frankly, HR only exists to try and prevent the Organisation from getting sued by it's Employees.

Nihilist:

HR is the company hitman.
Lol. Quite an interesting perspective on HR...should your moniker surprise me? smiley

But I like what you said down there...
Nihilist:

Seriously, people overthink their responses in an interview. It's supposed to be a conversation and not a game where you have to guess the right answer
Re: My Interview Experience by frrank(m): 8:48am On Jan 02, 2016
Dahveydson:

I actually gave him the full definition from the recruiting, motivation and the rest but he just cut me off and went on with his rant.

Anyway, Thank you so much. Wishing you a Prosperous and Joyous New Year Ahead.

Because the director disagreed with you, you now have every right to insult him.

Maybe you should learn how to manage yourself first.
Re: My Interview Experience by Dahveydson(m): 10:09am On Jan 02, 2016
frrank:

Because the director disagreed with you, you now have every right to insult him.

Maybe you should learn how to manage yourself first.

Who insulted him?
Re: My Interview Experience by Craven: 10:01am On Jan 03, 2016
Defining Human Resources Management as the mere management of people seems shallow in a way, especially when you consider the fact that anyone can manage anyone, and they don't have to be in HRM to do so.

For instance, a Finance Manager has Finance Officers under her/him, and s/he manages these officers to carry out the financial functions of the company. A Marketing Manager and a Bank Manager all manage the people under them, and they are not even in HRM. So in a way, this person has a point; anyone can manage anyone.

Perhaps he was looking for an in-depth answer. HRM isn't just concerned with the mere management of people. It involves much more than that. It has to do with recruiting people, utilizing their skills, training them to improve those skills and ensuring career development, finding out the best ways to improve both individual and organizational performance, and many more. HR Managers also introduce new work process designs that enhances efficiency and productivity, and assists an organization in achieving its goals, and they also come up with incentives to compensate employees for their dedication. The HR department carry out legal functions also; which is basically the main reason why they exist - to protect the company.

Perhaps this person was looking for an answer that brightly states all these functions and that shows your understanding of them.

But don't let the interview wear you down. You didn't fail; you've just been enlightened on better ways to improve yourself.

Happy New Year. smiley
Re: My Interview Experience by DaBogu: 1:29pm On Jun 11, 2019
My first interview experience .
I got a mail and a call from a company in Lagos, about 500km from where I was residing Abuja.
I was optimistic. I prepared and got myself ready.
I travelled, the day came, no interview fever I was ready!
After waiting for a while, It was my turn to get in, I met about six of them in the room including the CEO and HR.
Interview went well and positive, we negotiated pay and I was to get a formal letter of appointment from the HR the following week. I left fulfilled.
Days went,weeks, months and years today. I didn’t get any sort of feedback from them. I didn’t want to seem desperate so I left them. I’m glad today I never did.
With the knowledge I travelled far and made some commitments to show up for the interview, they never cared to give me any feedback whatsoever.
I am glad I didn’t get to work with that company and I never will.
My reservation is why invite people for interviews, test – make them travel and never see need for a polite gesture of feedback?
This is the ugliest part of a recruitment process, to all recruiters, every candidate deserves a feedback don’t treat them with contempt!
I’m concerned about graduates facing this today,is it fair?
_
Jo Adoga | LinkedIn

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Can You Accept A FG Job As An SSCE Holder When You Have An HND? / Kaduna Electricity Distribution Company Recruiting / Graduate Trainee At Saro Agrosciences Limited

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.