Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,214 members, 7,829,356 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:35 AM

Changes I Need NIPOST To Implement - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Changes I Need NIPOST To Implement (7030 Views)

Help!!! Nipost Has Dealt With Me / NIPOST To Introduce Banking Services To Rural Areas — Shittu / ECOWAS To Implement Common Currency In West Africa – Official (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Changes I Need NIPOST To Implement by Habeebpain(m): 1:26pm On Jan 02, 2016
The Nigerian Postal Service is my most patronised public parastatal and everytime I go there I can't help but feel I've been transported back in time. From the structure of the building, to the old staff, and the analog and old equipment still in use; the post office screams of the nineties.

As this government has promised us change, I want to tell them to direct this "wind of change to the Nigerian Postal Service and I'll be helping them with the following ideas.

1. Facelift: the offices need a facelift: new paint, new furniture, and new staff. A more modern look will go a long way in making customers feel comfortable and welcome.
For the staff, I think a lot of you will agree with me that a sizeable number need to be replaced with younger and more energetic ones. I know some of you might think that they'll lose their jobs as some of them are breadwinners. But wouldn't it be better if their unemployed son or daughter gets that job and performs incredibly well?

2. Out with the old equipment and in with the new: I bet you all know that giant analog weighing scale that stares you in the face when you walk in. That needs to be thrown out. A digital scale is long overdue. I want to know the exact weight of my package, for the love of God, I'm tired of arguing over if the package weighs 0.5kg or 0.8kg.
Computers. I've seen computers in some post offices, but I think technology hasn't been fully implemented. Instead of using those green slips which costs extra money to print, I believe its better if all the info for packages are put on a computer and customers just have to provide their identication cards and a search is done. Voila! Results are displayed showing all items that have ever arrived in your name. A filter will help categorize received items, sent items, and yet-to-be recieved items.

3. Price List: a price list showing the rates charged for shipping items and receiving items should be pasted where everyone can see. It's annoying when I go to the post office and it costs less shipping the same package to a state in a different region against a state within your region of residence.

4. Packaging Materials: I have always been billed separately for packaging materials when I want to send an item to a customer. I've asked several times why it's not included with the shipping cost or why it's not free and the reply is that they are not given packaging materials, so the customer either brings his/her own or buy the post office's expensive one.
I don't have an idea about the amount allocated to NIPOST annually but I believe at least a small part should cover for wrapping papers, wax, and the likes.
I suggest they get NIPOST branded wrapping papers and cellotapes to up their packaging game instead of the bland brown envelopes and paper bags.

After all the complaints, I think it's right to commend them too. I have never had issues with delivery of items. My customers always receive their packages safe and sound and have never complained. Small businesses can use them to send goods to customers across the nation without paying hefty shipping charges to courier and transport companies.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Changes I Need NIPOST To Implement by dragnet: 6:27pm On Jan 02, 2016
I concur, sometimes I wish I could be left to manage the parastatal for a year, effect the changes & set the ball rolling.
There're many ways of earning income, e.g. having multiple pick up points across states instead of just sitting lazily in the office waiting for people who don't even know that they exist to bring packages to be sent.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Changes I Need NIPOST To Implement by Habeebpain(m): 6:52pm On Jan 02, 2016
You're right on that. They're not managing it well at all.

3 Likes

Re: Changes I Need NIPOST To Implement by slye(m): 5:10pm On Jan 04, 2016
However the chance that they will hear your voice here is very slim.. undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Changes I Need NIPOST To Implement by Habeebpain(m): 10:06am On Jan 14, 2016
Lalasticlala and other mods, I think this thread is front page worthy.
Re: Changes I Need NIPOST To Implement by dominique(f): 11:27am On Jan 14, 2016
So many courier services out there, is anybody still using NIPOST? undecided (my dad still does tho embarassed)

A huge number of our federal parastatals need a facelift.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Changes I Need NIPOST To Implement by Diesel1(m): 11:31am On Jan 14, 2016
Still wating when they will arrest government Tompolo

Diesel!!

2 Likes

Re: Changes I Need NIPOST To Implement by Nobody: 11:32am On Jan 14, 2016
Great...see points below

+ ridding itself of corruption
+ branding
+ younger talents
+ adoption of social media
+ getting expat to head the business for a turnaround
+ competitive rates

3 Likes

Re: Changes I Need NIPOST To Implement by Nobody: 11:32am On Jan 14, 2016
3. Price List: a price list showing the rates charged for shipping items and receiving items should be pasted where everyone can see. It's annoying when I go to the post office and it costs less shipping the same package to a state in a different region against a state within your region of residence.

They use this to extort people a lot.
Re: Changes I Need NIPOST To Implement by Exponental(m): 11:32am On Jan 14, 2016
PPP... public private partnership will help revive it.
Re: Changes I Need NIPOST To Implement by 7footre(m): 11:32am On Jan 14, 2016
Still cheap compared to others.... guess that's why they still in business

1 Like

Re: Changes I Need NIPOST To Implement by ITbomb(m): 11:33am On Jan 14, 2016
Nipost actually reinvigorate itself in the last administration.
Changing logos, getting new operational vehicles, new paint and a good website, implementing the ZIP code addressing (at least those are the ones I noticed)

But it was not sustained. The issue of the weighing balance (analog to digital) is something they should implement.

Anything below here should not be quoted.

And (ok this is personal, I admit), whenever I visit an organization and a fat old lady is at the other side, I don't take such place serious (no offense).

Fat women have terrible customer relationship, they can gossip their lives away while someone is waiting to be attended to. And most of them will be just sitting there waiting for the client to greet first and if you no greet o she no hear you, hmm.

3 Likes

Re: Changes I Need NIPOST To Implement by Rumpelstiltskin(m): 11:34am On Jan 14, 2016
You have spoken rightly Sir and you also gave very great recommendations. The current state of NIPOST is heart wrenching and nothing to write home about. There is a lot of money to be made from Logistics and Supply chain Management. Basically, NIPOST should be a good revenue generating government department.
The Chairman, House Cmtee on Telecoms is a close friend. I'll show him this thread. I hope they take it seriously.

2 Likes

Re: Changes I Need NIPOST To Implement by Akosxxx(m): 11:34am On Jan 14, 2016
So NIPOST still actually provide postal or whatever services? As in officially?
All i know about NIPOST in many states ive visited is that its either address /bus stop or where you can easily get scratch cards (eg waec, jamb, lottery et al)
Re: Changes I Need NIPOST To Implement by kaziblake(f): 11:35am On Jan 14, 2016
We need change.
Buhari where are you?

1 Like

Re: Changes I Need NIPOST To Implement by ichommy(m): 11:37am On Jan 14, 2016
Good
Re: Changes I Need NIPOST To Implement by mytime24(f): 11:38am On Jan 14, 2016
I dey cum

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Changes I Need NIPOST To Implement by yomalex(m): 11:40am On Jan 14, 2016
commendable
Re: Changes I Need NIPOST To Implement by 9jatriot(m): 11:41am On Jan 14, 2016
Good one. Your write up has the following attributes.
1. Identified a problem
2. Analysed the problem
3. Proffered solutions (either realistic or not)
4. Praise them in areas you felt they had done well.

We complain too much in this country without offering alternatives. Nice one. However because it is not about some celebrities, I do not see this thread exceeding 2 pages. Hope to be proved wrong.

5 Likes

Re: Changes I Need NIPOST To Implement by tlops(m): 11:47am On Jan 14, 2016
Good that someone else is interested in NIPOST. I was always wondered why they want to kill it., NIPOST has a lot of potential if they can just upgrade ☝
Re: Changes I Need NIPOST To Implement by Bboy1015(m): 11:50am On Jan 14, 2016
Naso
Re: Changes I Need NIPOST To Implement by Nobody: 11:58am On Jan 14, 2016
mytime24:
I dey cum
see our minimum wage oh? chwoi! the devil is doomed!
Re: Changes I Need NIPOST To Implement by mbeltima(m): 12:06pm On Jan 14, 2016
85% wrong on the issue of packaging that is true because I sent out sample to customer in Isreal and I wasn't charge for packaging. As a matter of fact I thought I was same as TNT, DHL and co. I did the rapping, when I got EMS I was asked unrap my sample to isreal.

2. Pricing DHL is higher in price to TNT and our EMS is the cheapest.

But every other thing you mention on point
> No bike for delivery and many more
Re: Changes I Need NIPOST To Implement by dustydee: 12:11pm On Jan 14, 2016
I suggest it should be privatised.
The most successful postal service in the world, royal mail of the UK (in my opinion), was privatised recently. The postal service is a very important service to our development as a country.
Re: Changes I Need NIPOST To Implement by Pavore9: 12:12pm On Jan 14, 2016
A nice write up.
Re: Changes I Need NIPOST To Implement by ANBAKO: 12:14pm On Jan 14, 2016
NIPOST
Re: Changes I Need NIPOST To Implement by free2ryhme: 12:18pm On Jan 14, 2016
NIPOST still dey exist
Re: Changes I Need NIPOST To Implement by ammyluv2002(f): 12:19pm On Jan 14, 2016
mytime24:
I dey cum
Wow! I'm speechless shocked shocked shocked
Re: Changes I Need NIPOST To Implement by free2ryhme: 12:19pm On Jan 14, 2016
People still use NIPOST in this Nigeria
Re: Changes I Need NIPOST To Implement by imsuboi(m): 12:43pm On Jan 14, 2016
long overdue
Re: Changes I Need NIPOST To Implement by just2endowed: 12:57pm On Jan 14, 2016
catlova:

They use this to extort people a lot.

Seriously, they extort like: word cannot describe it. In fact, they are the most corrupt government agencies for now. They will never display prices list. U ask them price they be shouting at u. If u come with a package that's less than 5 gram, they be telling u to pay heavily. My brother, I use them in few occasions and they are not friendly at all. They just believe in extorting a novice.

They will issue u a receipt without writing the amount on them. Mehn, these nipost staff need wind of change.
Re: Changes I Need NIPOST To Implement by dejavume: 1:07pm On Jan 14, 2016
I bought an item from Thailand which didnt last up to 8days to reach Nigeria,but since 3rd dec 2015 that the item has been with NIPOST,am yet to recieve it not even a call.
I just wonder if NIPOST is still functioning like they were doing before election

(1) (2) (Reply)

Closed / Business Name Vs Limited Company - Which Should You Register? / How To Start Agency Banking Business and Make 6 Figures Monthly Guaranteed!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.