Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,740 members, 7,827,730 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 03:56 PM

ECOWAS To Implement Common Currency In West Africa – Official - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / ECOWAS To Implement Common Currency In West Africa – Official (23009 Views)

Top 10 Weakest Currency In Africa (See List) / Currency-in-circulation Drops To N1.769 Trillion / Naira is Worst Performing Currency In Africa In 2016-The Economist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

ECOWAS To Implement Common Currency In West Africa – Official by Nobody: 2:47pm On Dec 08, 2015
Mr Kalilou Traore, ECOWAS Commissioner for Industry and Private Sector Promotion, has said that the commission is committed to implementing a single currency in West Africa by 2020. Traore told newsmen in Lagos on Tuesday that the commission was fast-tracking processes toward ensuring the implementation of the single currency within the period.

He said that there were several political and technical implications to be considered during the formulation process that would guarantee the achievement of the policy. “More states have to comply with some macroeconomic criteria like inflation, budget deficit, currency stability; without this, if we set up a common currency, it will fail.”
He said that through the common currency, the commission hoped to support the regional economy to be more integrated and have a strong exchange among member states. According to him, frameworks for formulating regional automotive, pharmaceutical and agriculture industry programmes are part of processes toward achieving success of the common currency.

He said central bank governors of member states met yearly to analyse and review the level of progress of the currency process ahead of the implementation time. The implementation of ECOWAS single currency was initially scheduled for Jan.1 with West African Monetary Institute setting out 10 criteria for the attainment of the goal.

The institute set out four primary convergence criteria and six secondary convergence criteria to achieve the goal. The primary criteria are single-digit inflation rate at the end of each year and fiscal deficit of not more than four per cent of Gross Domestic Product among member states.
Others are central bank deficit-financing of no more than 10 per cent of the previous year’s tax revenue and gross external reserves that guarantee import cover for a minimum of three months.

www.vanguardngr.com/2015/12/ecowas-to-implement-common-currency-in-west-africa-official/

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ECOWAS To Implement Common Currency In West Africa – Official by tpiar: 2:48pm On Dec 08, 2015
Na wa o.

End times.

17 Likes

Re: ECOWAS To Implement Common Currency In West Africa – Official by madgoat(m): 2:48pm On Dec 08, 2015
cheesy good
Re: ECOWAS To Implement Common Currency In West Africa – Official by benedictnsi(m): 2:49pm On Dec 08, 2015
I just hope that our "NAIRA" will not be the currency undecided

Cos D money no get much swag again........

11 Likes

Re: ECOWAS To Implement Common Currency In West Africa – Official by lirusehn(m): 2:55pm On Dec 08, 2015
AmALilgodSoDontQuoteMe:

How would this stop insurgency?? undecided

1 Like

Re: ECOWAS To Implement Common Currency In West Africa – Official by chris4gold(m): 2:58pm On Dec 08, 2015
one out of millions plans of Muhammed Gadafi of Libya.

24 Likes

Re: ECOWAS To Implement Common Currency In West Africa – Official by Nobody: 2:59pm On Dec 08, 2015
Ok
Re: ECOWAS To Implement Common Currency In West Africa – Official by dmostcheerful(f): 3:28pm On Dec 08, 2015
end time currency

12 Likes

Re: ECOWAS To Implement Common Currency In West Africa – Official by Nobody: 3:44pm On Dec 08, 2015
Gosh.. why? Personally i'm cool with my Nigerian Naira undecided

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: ECOWAS To Implement Common Currency In West Africa – Official by Kyase(m): 4:13pm On Dec 08, 2015
tpiar:
Na wa o.

End times.
Good,
Christians well come with their conspiracy theory now.
Just watch out.
In ........

7 Likes

Re: ECOWAS To Implement Common Currency In West Africa – Official by free2ryhme: 4:14pm On Dec 08, 2015
spiritfada:

Mr Kalilou Traore, ECOWAS Commissioner for Industry and Private Sector Promotion, has said that the commission is committed to implementing a single currency in West Africa by 2020. Traore told newsmen in Lagos on Tuesday that the commission was fast-tracking processes toward ensuring the implementation of the single currency within the period.

He said that there were several political and technical implications to be considered during the formulation process that would guarantee the achievement of the policy. “More states have to comply with some macroeconomic criteria like inflation, budget deficit, currency stability; without this, if we set up a common currency, it will fail.”
He said that through the common currency, the commission hoped to support the regional economy to be more integrated and have a strong exchange among member states. According to him, frameworks for formulating regional automotive, pharmaceutical and agriculture industry programmes are part of processes toward achieving success of the common currency.

He said central bank governors of member states met yearly to analyse and review the level of progress of the currency process ahead of the implementation time. The implementation of ECOWAS single currency was initially scheduled for Jan.1 with West African Monetary Institute setting out 10 criteria for the attainment of the goal.

The institute set out four primary convergence criteria and six secondary convergence criteria to achieve the goal. The primary criteria are single-digit inflation rate at the end of each year and fiscal deficit of not more than four per cent of Gross Domestic Product among member states.
Others are central bank deficit-financing of no more than 10 per cent of the previous year’s tax revenue and gross external reserves that guarantee import cover for a minimum of three months.

www.vanguardngr.com/2015/12/ecowas-to-implement-common-currency-in-west-africa-official/

i have been hearing this gist since secondary school

story story

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: ECOWAS To Implement Common Currency In West Africa – Official by MadCow1: 4:14pm On Dec 08, 2015
Nooooii
Re: ECOWAS To Implement Common Currency In West Africa – Official by allanphash7(m): 4:14pm On Dec 08, 2015
Which Nigeria money my brother?

Nigeria has no money ooo
coolsix:
Gosh.. why? Personally i'm cool with my Nigerian Naira undecided

26 Likes

Re: ECOWAS To Implement Common Currency In West Africa – Official by Smartresult(f): 4:14pm On Dec 08, 2015
Not
Re: ECOWAS To Implement Common Currency In West Africa – Official by free2ryhme: 4:14pm On Dec 08, 2015
No to single currency. That is the reason Europe is sinking now and the Euro is on free fall for the past one year. Greece's problem has affected the entire eurozone and still affecting. They may be able to absorb the shock but West Africans cannot

16 Likes

Re: ECOWAS To Implement Common Currency In West Africa – Official by kennydee05(m): 4:14pm On Dec 08, 2015
I have been hearing about this news for over 7 years ago. So to me it is not news anymore.
Re: ECOWAS To Implement Common Currency In West Africa – Official by Rikidony(m): 4:15pm On Dec 08, 2015
Nooo

I don't support this, if a euro style of economic crisis occur Nigeria will be called on to rescue the smaller nations out.
Re: ECOWAS To Implement Common Currency In West Africa – Official by Nobody: 4:15pm On Dec 08, 2015
What's happening to me? Immediately I saw the thread title something just started singing "Gbese re o" in my head. Is there any song that goes by that title Na nairalander sing am? And the beat sweet o. Na MrsPhyno produce am?
Re: ECOWAS To Implement Common Currency In West Africa – Official by Bevista: 4:15pm On Dec 08, 2015
As commendable as that may sound, there are a lot of nuances that could really undermine the whole region. The Eurozone, whose banking institutions are a lot more developed than West Africa still runs into problems on how to institute fiscal discipline among member countries.

If certain economies within the bloc performs poorly, that could really undermine the currency and other well performing countries within the bloc. Greece and other peripheral countries in the Eurozone nearly collapsed the Euro. I strongly doubt that stronger economies within the region will allow the single currency to be implemented, excepted they will have the power to sanction erring member countries.

2 Likes

Re: ECOWAS To Implement Common Currency In West Africa – Official by lonelydora: 4:16pm On Dec 08, 2015
Good one. Let no religious person come here and say 666.
Re: ECOWAS To Implement Common Currency In West Africa – Official by Fabrolistic: 4:16pm On Dec 08, 2015
Who owns this credit?
Click like for buri body language.
Click share for Gej's legacy.
Re: ECOWAS To Implement Common Currency In West Africa – Official by Agbalanze(m): 4:16pm On Dec 08, 2015
I hate to sound like this, but if true...
Its an END TIME policy! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

5 Likes

Re: ECOWAS To Implement Common Currency In West Africa – Official by daveP(m): 4:16pm On Dec 08, 2015
Stupid reason given.

The beast isnt far from surfacing

truly endtime currency

4 Likes

Re: ECOWAS To Implement Common Currency In West Africa – Official by yousee(m): 4:17pm On Dec 08, 2015
Naira go be like British Pounds wey England no gree change to Euro.
We no go join them too when them change to Wafru abi na WAD...west African dollar grin

1 Like

Re: ECOWAS To Implement Common Currency In West Africa – Official by scholes23(m): 4:17pm On Dec 08, 2015
if the currency will have berra value. #supported
Re: ECOWAS To Implement Common Currency In West Africa – Official by demarc001: 4:18pm On Dec 08, 2015
One world currency is getting close. Signs of the EnD TimE!

5 Likes

Re: ECOWAS To Implement Common Currency In West Africa – Official by datguru: 4:18pm On Dec 08, 2015
End time
Re: ECOWAS To Implement Common Currency In West Africa – Official by dave2meek(m): 4:19pm On Dec 08, 2015
I have no option than to join the shout End time crew now

1 Like

Re: ECOWAS To Implement Common Currency In West Africa – Official by Sunnycliff(m): 4:19pm On Dec 08, 2015
For the first in NL I have to say END TIME!!!

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FOREX: Naira Appreciates Against Dollar, Gains ₦‎80 / How Can I Make Money Online With No Start Up Capital / World Bank Blacklists Six Chinese Firms In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.