Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,228 members, 7,818,773 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:26 AM

Inside The Massive Money Laundering In Nigeria’s National Assembly-Premium Times - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Inside The Massive Money Laundering In Nigeria’s National Assembly-Premium Times (27309 Views)

Femi Fani-kayode, Others Rearraigned For Money Laundering in Lagos (Photos) / 2016 budget of fraud: Inside The Massive FRAUD In Buhari’s Budget.-premium Times / SPECIAL REPORT: Inside The Massive Money Laundering In Nigeria’s National Assemb (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Inside The Massive Money Laundering In Nigeria’s National Assembly-Premium Times by Nobody: 10:22pm On Jan 02, 2016
How is inec allowing all these corrupt rogues to rule us?
Re: Inside The Massive Money Laundering In Nigeria’s National Assembly-Premium Times by Adedolapo1406(m): 10:32pm On Jan 02, 2016
tired of belle turning news like dis!
Re: Inside The Massive Money Laundering In Nigeria’s National Assembly-Premium Times by Dacronym(m): 10:33pm On Jan 02, 2016
Now I've got it...........
Re: Inside The Massive Money Laundering In Nigeria’s National Assembly-Premium Times by pmatiu: 10:34pm On Jan 02, 2016
Premium Times keep on the good job let's no what has been happening in that covers in all the three arms of govt and also the organs of govt for the past 16 yrs

2 Likes

Re: Inside The Massive Money Laundering In Nigeria’s National Assembly-Premium Times by armadeo(m): 10:40pm On Jan 02, 2016
Space
Re: Inside The Massive Money Laundering In Nigeria’s National Assembly-Premium Times by dancewith: 10:56pm On Jan 02, 2016
I think the newspaper should, for matter of urgent clarification, seek for a breakdown of what the money is used for, under the freedom of information act. That would give a more informed reporting and news worthiness.

By claiming cash withdrawal above N5m before 2015 when cashless policy went into force qualifies as money laundering, clearly shows that this reporter and newspaper do not understand nor sought to understand banking laws and regulations before going ahead with this report. It was the cashless policy which went into force late in 2015 that prohibited cash withdrawals above N500,000 for individuals and N2m for corporate bodies, with some exemptions. Before this period, an organization or an individual has the right to utilize funds belonging to them in whatever manner they deem fit. With the cashless policy however, Withdrawals above these limits must be done via cheques or other electronic channels

By claiming these transactions are evidence of money laundering, this newspaper opens themselves up for claims of ignorance and libel, especially as such withdrawals must have been authorized by the valid authority of the NAS. For the NAS to have authorized such withdrawals means there must have been a purpose for the withdrawal and these should have been the purview of this reporting, rather than a blanket labeling of transactions done by the NAS as acts of crime

I can be sure the banks mentioned therein would never have paid those cheques if the authorized signatories of the NAS had not signed or if the withdrawal of such sums constituted a violation of extant regulations. Please also note that what the money laundering law provided, which I suppose was the confusion of this reporter, is that whenever withdrawal in such sums are made, the bank must report such transactions to the Nigerian Financial Intelligence Unit, which is an arm of EFCC

The purpose of this report is for NFIU to consider if there is/are any reason to treat such transactions as suspicious and should they think so, seek clarification

1 Like

Re: Inside The Massive Money Laundering In Nigeria’s National Assembly-Premium Times by uyplus(m): 11:04pm On Jan 02, 2016
Yet we have an NLC which should be taking up this sort of issues. Sadly they all get bribed while the common man continues to suffer.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Inside The Massive Money Laundering In Nigeria’s National Assembly-Premium Times by EreluY(f): 11:24pm On Jan 02, 2016
[size=18pt]I do not regret shredding my Nigerian passport. Nigeria is irrevocably doomed - not even Buhari can salvage it.[/size]
Re: Inside The Massive Money Laundering In Nigeria’s National Assembly-Premium Times by nworanco(m): 11:41pm On Jan 02, 2016
Aroh48:
I hate this country.
I hate this country in every parameter the Yorubas and Hausa/Fulanis raped this nation to comatose.

Check the names of corrupt politians you see Hausa/Fulani and Yorubas leading other tribes. The Yorubas produces billionaires in every govt.

What parasitelistic behavior?
Re: Inside The Massive Money Laundering In Nigeria’s National Assembly-Premium Times by nworanco(m): 11:42pm On Jan 02, 2016
Aroh48:
I hate this country.
I hate this country in every parameter the Yorubas and Hausa/Fulanis raped this nation to comatose.

Check the names of corrupt politians you see Hausa/Fulani and Yorubas leading other tribes. The Yorubas produces billionaires in every govt.

What a
parasitelistic behavior?
Re: Inside The Massive Money Laundering In Nigeria’s National Assembly-Premium Times by nworanco(m): 11:42pm On Jan 02, 2016
Aroh48:
I hate this country.

Check the names of corrupt politians you see Hausa/Fulani and Yorubas leading ot
her tribes. The Yorubas produces billionaires in every govt.

What a
parasitelistic behavior?
Re: Inside The Massive Money Laundering In Nigeria’s National Assembly-Premium Times by Nobody: 11:44pm On Jan 02, 2016
Aroh48:
I hate this country.

... that makes us and the remaining 97% of Nigerians who cannot earn up to N10,000 monthly.. that is a large enough percentage to burn crooks and their enablers and helpers offline and on nairaland.. especially those biased bloggers and forum owners grin grin grin grin
Re: Inside The Massive Money Laundering In Nigeria’s National Assembly-Premium Times by mindtricks: 12:06am On Jan 03, 2016
janvier27:
National Assembly is the weakest link now in our race to sanity. It will only get worse with confirmed looters at the head.

Sad enough they still call the shots somehow. The bane of our "democracy".
Re: Inside The Massive Money Laundering In Nigeria’s National Assembly-Premium Times by babs4president: 12:21am On Jan 03, 2016
Aroh48:
I hate this country.
. Bros u dont need to because d solution lies in our hand and that is REVOLUTION to mangle dose uu av raped us of our CW
Re: Inside The Massive Money Laundering In Nigeria’s National Assembly-Premium Times by Ubenedictus(m): 12:34am On Jan 03, 2016
Demmocrats:

Bunch of idiots, why didn't you guys start from 1999 till date why the last six years which involves Jonathan, all of a sudden that ape called Obasanjo is now a saint, a man that wasted the resources of this country with his VP. Even though Jonathan looted which we all know its not proper by basing all the corruption fight on one person.
this is not abt oga jona or obj, this is abt the national assembly.
Re: Inside The Massive Money Laundering In Nigeria’s National Assembly-Premium Times by Nobody: 12:45am On Jan 03, 2016
It's just too much; no nation can survive this sort of onslaught angry
Re: Inside The Massive Money Laundering In Nigeria’s National Assembly-Premium Times by adriftonmemories(m): 12:51am On Jan 03, 2016
EreluY:
[size=18pt]I do not regret shredding my Nigerian passport. Nigeria is irrevocably doomed - not even Buhari can salvage it.[/size]

Even SOMALIA is being rebuilt... Continue comforting yourself as a THIRD CLASS CITIZEN in some white man's cess pit angry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Inside The Massive Money Laundering In Nigeria’s National Assembly-Premium Times by Demmocrats(m): 2:54am On Jan 03, 2016
Ubenedictus:

Nice point bro, but the period of Obasanjo(Including all the senators and house of reps down to him)
Re: Inside The Massive Money Laundering In Nigeria’s National Assembly-Premium Times by Demmocrats(m): 2:58am On Jan 03, 2016
Ubenedictus:

See bro there is no way you start probing the house during OBJ tenure without any link back to Obasanjo.

1 Like

Re: Inside The Massive Money Laundering In Nigeria’s National Assembly-Premium Times by trendphemmy(m): 3:44am On Jan 03, 2016
YoungExec:
Media Trials. Let there be arrests and let people be taken to court. I'm tired of all this media talk. Time for action. angry

mentor me
Re: Inside The Massive Money Laundering In Nigeria’s National Assembly-Premium Times by yahrant140(m): 3:47am On Jan 03, 2016
Hmmm, pen thieves everywhere! Jail them all......
Re: Inside The Massive Money Laundering In Nigeria’s National Assembly-Premium Times by diva90: 4:10am On Jan 03, 2016
It's no longer news that Jonathan's regime was a money sharing regime. It's so unfortunate to think that these bunch of rouges wanted to come back for a second term.
Re: Inside The Massive Money Laundering In Nigeria’s National Assembly-Premium Times by Reference(m): 5:31am On Jan 03, 2016
But where are the monies from and what are the monies for that make it money laundering. Because all I can see there is a case of contravention of the CBN Act by the Clerks the likes of which should not be if proper channels are opened to them. The figures quoted donot look in excess of those legally appropriated to them. And you cannot accuse me of withdrawing my allowances how and when I like. Can't see the laundering here.

'Horrid abuse of financial regulations'. How do you pay these people these massive amounts without contravening. How are they being paid now. How does government, any government do business without contravening.
Re: Inside The Massive Money Laundering In Nigeria’s National Assembly-Premium Times by allthingsgood: 5:42am On Jan 03, 2016
Lordave:

Why only in the last six years?

Why not in the last 17 years?

Buhari should make sure they include the whole years of civilian rule before the last six years, we can't afford to let go one crook.

But what has this got to do with Buhari So even investigative journalist are also Buhari in disguise? Na wa o
Re: Inside The Massive Money Laundering In Nigeria’s National Assembly-Premium Times by hopilo: 6:00am On Jan 03, 2016
Every year including 2016, national assembly has it budget and finanacial obligations. To make this investigation complete, premium should check if the money funded national assembly budget.
Re: Inside The Massive Money Laundering In Nigeria’s National Assembly-Premium Times by Reference(m): 6:02am On Jan 03, 2016
dancewith:
I think the newspaper should, for matter of urgent clarification, seek for a breakdown of what the money is used for, under the freedom of information act. That would give a more informed reporting and news worthiness.

By claiming cash withdrawal above N5m before 2015 when cashless policy went into force qualifies as money laundering, clearly shows that this reporter and newspaper do not understand nor sought to understand banking laws and regulations before going ahead with this report. It was the cashless policy which went into force late in 2015 that prohibited cash withdrawals above N500,000 for individuals and N2m for corporate bodies, with some exemptions. Before this period, an organization or an individual has the right to utilize funds belonging to them in whatever manner they deem fit. With the cashless policy however, Withdrawals above these limits must be done via cheques or other electronic channels

By claiming these transactions are evidence of money laundering, this newspaper opens themselves up for claims of ignorance and libel, especially as such withdrawals must have been authorized by the valid authority of the NAS. For the NAS to have authorized such withdrawals means there must have been a purpose for the withdrawal and these should have been the purview of this reporting, rather than a blanket labeling of transactions done by the NAS as acts of crime

I can be sure the banks mentioned therein would never have paid those cheques if the authorized signatories of the NAS had not signed or if the withdrawal of such sums constituted a violation of extant regulations. Please also note that what the money laundering law provided, which I suppose was the confusion of this reporter, is that whenever withdrawal in such sums are made, the bank must report such transactions to the Nigerian Financial Intelligence Unit, which is an arm of EFCC

The purpose of this report is for NFIU to consider if there is/are any reason to treat such transactions as suspicious and should they think so, seek clarification

Thank you. We are now firmly in the era of sensationalism. The media is exploiting the 'figure frenzy'. All you need to do is throw up some tale, color it with 'billions' and sell papers. The fact is Nigerians have given these assembly folks billions in salaries, allowances and perks. How they expect them to access these funds within guidelines the paper should state. They should tell us where the monies come from, what they are meant for, exactly where the legal line is crossed and what would have been the right thing to do.
Re: Inside The Massive Money Laundering In Nigeria’s National Assembly-Premium Times by 9jatatafo(m): 6:09am On Jan 03, 2016
Democracy ain't cheap to run! Though so many Dasukis around
Re: Inside The Massive Money Laundering In Nigeria’s National Assembly-Premium Times by Nobody: 6:36am On Jan 03, 2016
Hopefully God would punish the children,for the consequences of their father
Re: Inside The Massive Money Laundering In Nigeria’s National Assembly-Premium Times by EreluY(f): 6:40am On Jan 03, 2016
adriftonmemories:

Even SOMALIA is being rebuilt... Continue comforting yourself as a THIRD CLASS CITIZEN in some white man's cess pit angry

CONTINUE TO DELUDE YOURSELF, GLORIFYING MEDIOCRITY AND CELEBRATING INCOMPETENCY.
Re: Inside The Massive Money Laundering In Nigeria’s National Assembly-Premium Times by olaitan9291(m): 6:46am On Jan 03, 2016
Why only in the last six years?

Why not in the last 17 years?

Buhari should make sure they include the whole years of civilian rule before the last six years, we can't afford to let go one crook.
[/quote]

The last/formal administrations must have done that and the present one
Re: Inside The Massive Money Laundering In Nigeria’s National Assembly-Premium Times by kaboninc(m): 7:07am On Jan 03, 2016
I've always said it that the investigative team of Premium Times is so WHACKED.....

The Money Laundering Act of 2011 says that;

“No person or body corporate shall, except in a transaction through a financial institution, make or accept cash payment of a sum exceeding- (a) N5,000,000.00 or its equivalent, in the case of an individual; or (b)N10,000,000.00 or its equivalent in the case of a body corporate”.

Did these transactions not pass through a financial institutiom? Are GTBank, UBA and co not Financial Institutions? Can you confirm if these transactions were reported to the appropriate institutions?

Wasting time pursuing shadows. Publishing cash withdrawals of institutions without a motive is just an evidence of how whacked you are.

We are tired of your defective investigations and if you can't develop quality content, please stay like your sensational peers who report amala and ewedu as news!

2 Likes

Re: Inside The Massive Money Laundering In Nigeria’s National Assembly-Premium Times by Nobody: 8:26am On Jan 03, 2016
Nig. Sure needs a disciplined dictator!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Atiku's Daughter Weds In Yola. Tambuwal, Abdusalami, Bindow Attend / Mayweather To Fight Dogara In Abuja / Zamfara Offering Cows To Bandits As Incentive To Stop Killing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.