Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,597 members, 7,809,168 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:35 AM

Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? (73373 Views)

Lady And Her Workers Made To Sleep Outside After Working For A Client. Photo / Access Bank Plc Salary Structure: How Much Does Access Bank Pay Staff? / Access Bank Frontline Internship 2017 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? by COOLCATS: 8:54pm On Jan 03, 2016
blueseacats:
My brother I was telling someone that Nigerian youth are very laZy, everyone stared at me like I was crazy, I just established a bar hired two ladies [/b]the one that negotiated the biggest pay kept lazying around , I fired her and she can't understand why I let her go .
A Bar is your own present standard as an entrepreneur. you should not judge every Nigerian youth with the [b]bar attendants standard

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? by Craven: 8:55pm On Jan 03, 2016
nefertitiram:

I worked there for a few months. The worst months of my life. My bosses were insultive, my colleagues had no joy, we worked weekends only for your boss to thrash all your efforts. Dem no born you well to leave office at 5/6. Sometimes, 10pm and I had no car, staff bus leaves at 8pm (was in Head Office).

To worsen it Aig and Herbert did not believe in work life balance. 2 guys I knew died because of the job. One died on his desk, the other died on his way home from work, when he was supposed to be on leave.

Abeg, it's not worth it. I wasnt a fresh graduate, infact I had worked in a different bank for 4 years before joining Access so all their paparazzi was uncalled for. After a few months, I packed my portmanteau to a place where joy lived.

What was your position at Access Bank?
Re: Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? by Craven: 8:56pm On Jan 03, 2016
ariesbull:
Worked in a bank and insurance ...hated the fact that. Was managing peoples funds wearing suit under this hot tropic climates

Just resigned ..left their madness and I am happier now

What role did you play in both companies?

1 Like

Re: Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? by Sashafm(f): 8:57pm On Jan 03, 2016
AdeMoss:
The mistake most people make is they strive to get a job an not have a career. If a job experience in a bank suit your career path then go for it. I will advice to start a career in a established organisation like Access Bank because you will learn so much a challenge yourself. Max entry level age for entry level in the bank is 24. I don't know many organisations that will employ graduates in their early twenties a pay them that much with responsibilities to make to mature faster.
Nice one! This is a wonderful and unbiased reply. Most people just don't want to do anything or perform responsibilities that will make them more knowledgeable . Most people after they leave Access bank become entrepreneurs in the financial services sector, because they have gone through a lot and has payed off at the end. The ball is in your court, if you want to work during your youth and enjoy later in life after extablishing yourself or take on a 50 thousand naira job that gives you too much free time without any career prospects or even savings .

9 Likes

Re: Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? by Trapnews: 9:01pm On Jan 03, 2016
YoungExec:

grin engaging you is not even worth it.

You should be ashamed of yourself. We have youths that will sacrifice resources to defend this country. You are here bragging about your ill gotten wealth and oppressing the less privilege. I may not be rich but I know I have a good heart and I manage business as well. My employees can testify. Can your employees do same? I suggest you amend your ways undecided

1 Like

Re: Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? by Unclerukus: 9:04pm On Jan 03, 2016
The problems facing Nigerian youths includes being driven by money, they go to school to get a job and earn money, not build a career. If you get a banking job, don't sit back expecting the salary alone, improve yourself, write professional exams like CIB or ACCA. Once a banking job starts to progress, you tend to earn more and delegate duties(more time). Make sure you have the passion for a banking career before entering it and saying trash about it. NB. Tellers that collect your monies at stands are mostly contract staff( I wouldn't call them bankers) , not graduate trainees and they are well paid. In management of banking, you'll find salaries that exceed what people earn even in the oil companies.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? by nefertitiram: 9:09pm On Jan 03, 2016
Craven:

What was your position at Access Bank?

Relationship Officer
Re: Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? by Craven: 9:10pm On Jan 03, 2016
Sashafm:

Nice one! This is a wonderful and unbiased reply. Most people just don't want to do anything or perform responsibilities that will make them more knowledgeable . Most people after they leave Access bank become entrepreneurs in the financial services sector, because they have gone through a lot and has payed off at the end. The ball is in your court, if you want to work during your youth and enjoy later in life after extablishing yourself or take on a 50 thousand naira job that gives you too much free time without any career prospects or even savings .

Exactly! Some people don't see working in a place like Access Bank as an opportunity to learn and grow, as well to attain career development. They just see it as 'stressful'. They choose not to see the good side of the situation because in involves certain challenges. And these are the same people that want to start businesses, like that is so easy.

The whole point of working in a place like Access Bank is to challenge yourself and gain knowledge in the process. And that can be very helpful to anyone who is looking to run a start-up in the future.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? by Nobody: 9:13pm On Jan 03, 2016
chccho:
Na lie u just lie here..
ehen nah! before nkor!
Re: Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? by Nobody: 9:24pm On Jan 03, 2016
I deal with a lot of bankers and bank workers, in naija it is slavery in suit. Don't be deceived. Dating a banker that has no work life balance can make you a patient at yaba left.

1 Like

Re: Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? by magicfingers009: 9:25pm On Jan 03, 2016
OrangeDream:
Those who own banks wear jeans & t-shirt

Na u dey wear suite..

Moral of the story: Be ur own boss!!
All my years in the corporate world, I am yet to see a CEO of a bank or the board of directors, in a meeting and someone would walk in dressed in Jeans. Please take that lie elsewhere

11 Likes

Re: Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? by joelison(m): 9:41pm On Jan 03, 2016
my brother even rescind from access recently...
Re: Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? by excellentmomma(f): 9:55pm On Jan 03, 2016
nefertitiram:

I worked there for a few months. The worst months of my life. My bosses were insultive, my colleagues had no joy, we worked weekends only for your boss to thrash all your efforts. Dem no born you well to leave office at 5/6. Sometimes, 10pm and I had no car, staff bus leaves at 8pm (was in Head Office).

To worsen it Aig and Herbert did not believe in work life balance. 2 guys I knew died because of the job. One died on his desk, the other died on his way home from work, when he was supposed to be on leave.

Abeg, it's not worth it. I wasnt a fresh graduate, infact I had worked in a different bank for 4 years before joining Access so all their paparazzi was uncalled for. After a few months, I packed my portmanteau to a place where joy lived.

U r a very funny somborri cheesy

1 Like

Re: Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? by supaslim(m): 9:57pm On Jan 03, 2016
Check this song out! Even the title sef funny! PEPPERSOUP! Lol, awesome chorus mehn! Jahbless on d backup! www.datafilehost.com/d/c43d4660
musco4me:
Hmmmmmm
Re: Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? by Nobody: 10:09pm On Jan 03, 2016
COOLCATS:
A Bar is your own present standard as an entrepreneur. you should not judge every Nigerian youth with the bar attendants standard
Hmm, not trying to prove anything, but let me give you some hint about me , I hold a degree in global business from excelsior college New York, i am 100ton ship master , if you know what I mean , i own a successful cat fish hatching business at ijebu ode that employs 5 people with one graduate among them ,I have lived in London and and New York, visited Paris Rome and a lot more western countries and in all I have seen what Nigerian youth do to make fast cash just to show off before I came to my conclusion, what happened at my bar is just a confirmation that most Nigerians youth think money grows on trees. But you think a typical Nigerian educated illiterate, if not you won't underrate my bar business, because in western nations small businesses employ 95 % of the labor force therefore gets more attention from the government than corporate bodies but you are a typical"know it all Nigerian graduate "what do you know about a vibrant economy, I challenge you to explain what makes up a vibrant economy then I will counter, or agree.

1 Like

Re: Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? by wole4142: 10:12pm On Jan 03, 2016
hey,
i must be sincere with u, i worked in access bank 4 two years, we call ourselves warriors, just tink bout it, Access bank can drive u crazy in terms of performance.

1 Like

Re: Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? by kosokoadeyemi: 10:14pm On Jan 03, 2016
The bad Bank that ave never seen is access bank cbn take note
Re: Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? by chccho(m): 10:16pm On Jan 03, 2016
Trapnews:

You should be ashamed of yourself. We have youths that will sacrifice resources to defend this country. You are here bragging about your ill gotten wealth and oppressing the less privilege. I may not be rich but I know I have a good heart and I manage business as well. My employees can testify. Can your employees do same? I suggest you amend your ways undecided

it is u who needs to mend ur ways

2 Likes

Re: Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? by nefertitiram: 10:44pm On Jan 03, 2016
babie78:
Sammhi he is very correct . Every graduate trainee gets a loan to purchase a brand new car either a kia or hyundai.
Its a mandatory loan

And you sign a bond with guarantors, if you resign within 2yrs, you will pay N2m! What kind of slavery is that? If they didn't have high attrition rate, which they know about, they won't apply such stringent conditions.

Where I work now, I wake up wanting to go to work. During the hols am restless because I'm loving the company. When I was in Access, I'm afraid for sun to rise. I'm afraid of entering the office, am afraid of opening my mailbox, the whole environment is toxic! Fear, fear, fear!!!

8 Likes

Re: Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? by richyblink1(m): 10:47pm On Jan 03, 2016
nefertitiram:

Correct boy, abeg take five.

Guy, it was a testimony when I left in 2011. Imagine working from 7am-11pm daily and still attending MPR on Saturdays. You dare not get sick because you must report to the office. To even get approval for your annual leave is world war 111.

You will be asked to report to work on Sunday in the name of doing review. Kai!!! We really hear am that year, all in the name of answering WARRIORS.

During OJC , operations staff were asked to get 500 accounts while relationship officers were asked to get 1000 accounts.

It was really snake in the monkey shadow

4 Likes

Re: Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? by nefertitiram: 10:51pm On Jan 03, 2016
Craven:

Exactly! Some people don't see working in a place like Access Bank as an opportunity to learn and grow, as well to attain career development. They just see it as 'stressful'. They choose not to see the good side of the situation because in involves certain challenges. And these are the same people that want to start businesses, like that is so easy.

The whole point of working in a place like Access Bank is to challenge yourself and gain knowledge in the process. And that can be very helpful to anyone who is looking to run a start-up in the future.

Wrong assumption. I had worked in Intercontinental Bank before the merger with Access. Please note I didn't complain about the work, I'm built for stress. But the environment in Access Bank was too toxic especially because I was in the Head Office. Everyone was like in a straight jacket, I was like what the he'll is this? Can't y'all lighten up, till that dreaded meeting with Aig and Herb, then I knew, there no joy in this place. I'd rather be happy than to get high BP being afraid to drink water and drop cup.

I wasn't even afraid of anything, I brought my Intercontinental swag but mehn! The access guys vibes could suck the life out of you with their complaints and depression.

6 Likes

Re: Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? by journerman(m): 10:52pm On Jan 03, 2016
nefertitiram:

Relationship Officer

What level?
Re: Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? by nefertitiram: 10:54pm On Jan 03, 2016
journerman:

What level?

ABO
Re: Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? by nefertitiram: 11:00pm On Jan 03, 2016
richyblink1:

Correct boy, abeg take five.

Guy, it was a testimony when I left in 2011. Imagine working from 7am-11pm daily and still attending MPR on Saturdays. You dare not get sick because you must report to the office. To even get approval for your annual leave is world war 111.

You will be asked to report to work on Sunday in the name of doing review. Kai!!! We really hear am that year, all in the name of answering WARRIORS.

Though to be frank, there training school and culture is cool as you will never remain a dullard haven passed through those experiences.

Chop knuckle. One could get the same experience and level of maturity without tyranny.

Last year, my MD declared unlimited casual leave days for us. We jubilated. During the end of year meeting in Dec he came back to announce nobody came to claim the casual leave sef. Just knowing that you can take a few days off work just to clear your head was motivating enough. Why should you be begging for your annual leave in Access? And the tyranny cascades downwards frm the top.

You become angry cos your boss made you angry cos his boss made him angry, and you take it out on your subordinates and in the end, you have a very angry workforce.

11 Likes

Re: Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? by Craven: 11:00pm On Jan 03, 2016
nefertitiram:

Wrong assumption. I had worked in Intercontinental Bank before the merger with Access. Please note I didn't complain about the work, I'm built for stress. But the environment in Access Bank was too toxic especially because I was in the Head Office. Everyone was like in a straight jacket, I was like what the he'll is this? Can't y'all lighten up, till that dreaded meeting with Aig and Herb, then I knew, there no joy in this place. I'd rather be happy than to get high BP being afraid to drink water and drop cup.

I wasn't even afraid of anything, I brought my Intercontinental swag but mehn! The access guys vibes could suck the life out of you with their complaints and depression.

I never said you complained about the work. My point is rather then people seeing the worst in every situation, they can learn from it.
Re: Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? by Nobody: 11:02pm On Jan 03, 2016
Craven:
I've seen many people comment with "Start your own business." And I feel those people need to understand that while entrepreneurship is great, not everyone will be an entrepreneur. If everyone is selling, who will purchase?

But that is besides the point. The point is this; we don't share the same dreams. While you wish to start your own 'small business', some people want to thrive in the financial services sector, in the oil and gas industry, in agriculture, in information technology. And because they wish to work in these sectors does not in any way make them inferior to you who feel starting a small business is best.

Besides, people will urge you to start your own business, they will never tell you the cons of the process. Nigeria doesn't provide a healthy economy for businesses to thrive, with its very angry tax system and fluctuating price system, amongst many other factors. Although some businesses thrives despite this, there are many that do not, and that is the reality that people won't tell you when they're urging you to 'start your own business'.

And there is also this notion that starting your own business automatically means that you are working for yourself and not for anyone else. That's a blatant lie. The purpose of any business, asides making profit, is to serve your customers who bring you your revenue. So the same service bankers give their customers, is the same any entrepreneur gives their customers. Except if you are your own customer. Although the entrepreneur enjoys certain perks like flexibility with working hours, being her/his own boss and all, the underlying factor is that s/he still serves customers.

I admire entrepreneurs. I also admire people who work hard to achieve their career goals. I do not believe one is better than the other. I believe we all have different life goals, and different means of achieving them.

Starting your business is legit. Working in a company is also legit. End of story.
.You absolutely Hit the Nail on the Head. Everyone can't be an entrepreneur. Most people also dont understand that You could work for someone and still feel like an entrepreneur, It's all about what you have to Offer. if you are a Very valuable employee, trust me! your Company would think twice before they sack you, they might even need to Hold Board meeting ontop your matter LoL!

6 Likes

Re: Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? by nefertitiram: 11:05pm On Jan 03, 2016
Craven:

I never said you complained about the work. My point is rather then people seeing the worst in every situation, they can learn from it.

Ok, you make sense there.

But you can achieve the same result without being a tyrant.

Do you know over 90% of Intercontinental bank staff resigned instead of working with Access? It wasn't just worth it.

If not for Sanusi? Who born access to buy intercontinental? With N50bn which was borrowed from BOI, of which they even owed inter 17bn? I don't want to be sad ds night, bad memories. lemme jst drop mic

3 Likes

Re: Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? by nefertitiram: 11:08pm On Jan 03, 2016
bitingcool:
No weekends, close Like 11pm everyday , loss of work-life balance . No work life balance, just work balance. Technology not yet 100% digitalised. MPR meetings on Saturday tlll 5pm. You may be mandated to come on Sundays sef. Of what use is good pay when you can't even sspend it without the shadow of your company lurking behind you for tasks. Most people I know resigned from access bank without the prospect of another job so they could retain the remaining shreds of their sanity.

Money isn't everything.

Chai! Bros, God bless you for this truth

1 Like

Re: Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? by nefertitiram: 11:10pm On Jan 03, 2016
femidejulius:

Sir, is the salary really up to 243,000 naira per month for a fresh graduate? Thanks

Yes

1 Like

Re: Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? by Nobody: 11:11pm On Jan 03, 2016
Nobody even talked about the consequences of making mistakes....mehn OYO u dey.

On a brighter side, being a banker allows u to flex and buy the good things of life sometimes (if u av little responsibility) cos u got cash to burn. Even if just to enjoy one night cos the next work day could be depressing.
Re: Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? by Craven: 11:12pm On Jan 03, 2016
nefertitiram:

Ok, you make sense there.

But you can achieve the same result without being a tyrant.

Do you know over 90% of Intercontinental bank staff resigned instead of working with Access? It wasn't just worth it.

If not for Sanusi? Who born access to buy intercontinental? With N50bn which was borrowed from BOI, of which they even owed inter 17bn? I don't want to be sad ds night, bad memories. lemme jst drop mic

I'm sorry about the sad memories. Don't dwell on them though. There are better ones to be made in the future. smiley

3 Likes

Re: Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? by nefertitiram: 11:14pm On Jan 03, 2016
yemjazz:
they have the highest employee turnover in the country. meaning the coy where people leave the most.

if u have option run

They have a fancy name for it, it's called 'Attrition Rate' . I remember dropping my resignation letter with HR and when I returned for clearance the HR I submitted to has resigned. The guy she handed over to was just looking at me with envy. For resigning again o! grin

14 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Central Bank Of Nigeria Salary Scale: How Much Does CBN Pay Staff? / Kayode Richie-Kay Oliva, EFCC Official Owns Wood Processing/Supplying Company / How Does The First Three Months Looks Like In NDA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.