Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,472 members, 7,823,097 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:30 AM

What's Wrong With My Car? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What's Wrong With My Car? (1632 Views)

What’s Wrong With This Audi Billboard? (photo) / How My Car Was Wrecked Due The Carelessness Of A Police Officer. Advice Please! / What Is Wrong With These FRSC Vehicle's Tyres? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's Wrong With My Car? by omotades: 11:41pm On Jan 02, 2016
I asked a mechanic who has been servicing my Honda baby boy to service it's gear and engine having realised the atf was not totally pure as I could see some black particles when dropping some on a white paper and the engine oil was due for service. He finished and brought it home after which I discovered the gear was not selecting at all. for any of the gears to work, I would av to press throttle very well for it to move and the moment I take away my leg from the throttle, it will not move again. Be it reverse or any of the Ds. This was never the case before I gave him the car to service. I discovered he made use of one atf called amco dextron iii when I've been using seahorse dextron for a yr now. Can anything be done? Is it only a gear problem? I need answers , pls. This happened today.
Re: What's Wrong With My Car? by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:18am On Jan 03, 2016
If the transmission oil got really dark and had particles, it's mostlikely the particles found their way into the valve body and are currently causing a lot of problems. Your gear box is less than 50k you should consider replacing it.
Re: What's Wrong With My Car? by omotades: 7:02am On Jan 03, 2016
GAZZUZZ:
If the transmission oil got really dark and had particles, it's mostlikely the particles found their way into the valve body and are currently causing a lot of problems. Your gear box is less than 50k you should consider replacing it.
Thanks, Gazzus. I was thinking the Atf needed to be changed cos of what I considered dirt inside it. Didn't think it would result to this. In the meantime, can I change the ATF and see if it will pick again before considering the option of buying another one? could the problem be electrical?
Re: What's Wrong With My Car? by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:04am On Jan 03, 2016
omotades:
Thanks, Gazzus. I was thinking the Atf needed to be changed cos of what I considered dirt inside it. Didn't think it would result to this. In the meantime, can I change the ATF and see if it will pick again?

you can try, use honda DW1 please
Re: What's Wrong With My Car? by omotades: 7:36am On Jan 03, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

you can try, use honda DW1 please
Thanks, Gazzus, for ur response. I will get back to u. U really care. God bless
Re: What's Wrong With My Car? by carblognaija: 2:40pm On Jan 03, 2016
First of all, I don't recommend using Seahorse. Since you used it for sometime, you've been lucky but not so lucky. I always tell people when it comes to gear box use the recommended oil by manufacturer no matter the vehicle. Look for the manufacturer's recommended gear oil. Its normally written by the side of the gear oil dip or spoke. If you don't see it the best bet is to go for original Honda gear oil for your car.

Secondly, since you noticed dirt, changing only oil without the gear oil filter makes no sense. Please you need to go back, get a good oil and change the gear oil filter. Gear oil filter is between 3k to 4k brand new one. The mechanic will remove the old one. Use it to go get a new one.

I am sure once you change the oil and gear oil filter, the problem will stop. Again some cars have selector wires or hook inside the engine and some mechanics may remove it when working and forget to set it back. This can also cause some problems during gear selection.

I don't believe this is a gear problem for now. Finally, there are some jobs you don't give to mechanic without your presence in the mechanic workshop. Anything that has to do with engine and gear box i recommend you be there no matter how busy you may be. you are not the one doing the work but you can take decisions concerning your car there and test the car immediately its finished.

Please let us know how it goes

2 Likes

Re: What's Wrong With My Car? by oyefelix(m): 6:57pm On Jan 03, 2016
its always good to use specific oil for ur transmission, yet I will advice to change ur gear instead of lots of headache all d time.
Re: What's Wrong With My Car? by ifnyioj22(m): 5:16am On Jan 04, 2016
Pls Gazzus jus following this tread enlightened me about something, I changed my mitsubishi endeavour gear oil with the recommended SP 111 but the mech never mentioned changing the filter to me as well! Over a month ago,pls any qualms? Or can i still go ahead nd change the filter?
Re: What's Wrong With My Car? by omotades: 7:02am On Jan 04, 2016
@carblognaija@ Gazzus, thanks so much for ur responses. It never occurred to me that nozzle issue could affect gear performance. Nozzle was serviced as the car was misfiring, too. Pronto, the gear picked. This is a lesson for me all d same.
Re: What's Wrong With My Car? by jum33: 8:55am On Jan 04, 2016
mind u there is no relationship between the injector nozzle and the transmission , the issue was initially that ur car cannot be rev to the level required for your gear to shift

1 Like

Re: What's Wrong With My Car? by carblognaija: 11:03am On Jan 04, 2016
ifnyioj22:
Pls Gazzus jus following this tread enlightened me about something, I changed my mitsubishi endeavour gear oil with the recommended SP 111 but the mech never mentioned changing the filter to me as well! Over a month ago,pls any qualms? Or can i still go ahead nd change the filter?

No need to go back and change the gear filter since you've already changed the oil with no problems but its always a good practice to change the gear oil and filter at the same time. Most of the dirt is trapped in the filter so its good to change the filter at once. Its just like changing ur normal engine oil. We always change the oil and the filter. We should do the same when it comes to gears too.

1 Like

Re: What's Wrong With My Car? by carblognaija: 11:06am On Jan 04, 2016
omotades:
@carblognaija@ Gazzus, thanks so much for ur responses. It never occurred to me that nozzle issue could affect gear performance. Nozzle was serviced as the car was misfiring, too. Pronto, the gear picked. This is a lesson for me all d same.

I really don't think that the nozzle has anything to do with the gear issue. Pls next time you change the gear oil, change the filter too.
Re: What's Wrong With My Car? by ifnyioj22(m): 12:32pm On Jan 04, 2016
[quote author=carblognaija post=41638764]

No need to go back and change the gear filter since you've already changed the oil with no problems but its always a good practice to change the gear oil and filter at the same time. Most of the dirt is trapped in the filter so its good to change the filter at once. Its just like changing ur normal engine oil. We always change the oil and the filter. We should do the same when it comes to gears too....Ok tnx i really appreciate sir" I scanned the car this morning no fault was detected.....
Re: What's Wrong With My Car? by omotades: 2:13pm On Jan 04, 2016
jum33:
mind u there is no relationship between the injector nozzle and the transmission , the issue was initially that ur car cannot be rev to the level required for your gear to shift
I don't think gear shift requires revving. When gear is changed, it shifts accordingly then u can accelerate in line with the speed u want, not revving before gear shifts, bro.
Re: What's Wrong With My Car? by omotades: 10:45am On Jan 08, 2016
carblognaija:
First of all, I don't recommend using Seahorse. Since you used it for sometime, you've been lucky but not so lucky. I always tell people when it comes to gear box use the recommended oil by manufacturer no matter the vehicle. Look for the manufacturer's recommended gear oil. Its normally written by the side of the gear oil dip or spoke. If you don't see it the best bet is to go for original Honda gear oil for your car.

Secondly, since you noticed dirt, changing only oil without the gear oil filter makes no sense. Please you need to go back, get a good oil and change the gear oil filter. Gear oil filter is between 3k to 4k brand new one. The mechanic will remove the old one. Use it to go get a new one.

I am sure once you change the oil and gear oil filter, the problem will stop. Again some cars have selector wires or hook inside the engine and some mechanics may remove it when working and forget to set it back. This can also cause some problems during gear selection.

I don't believe this is a gear problem for now. Finally, there are some jobs you don't give to mechanic without your presence in the mechanic workshop. Anything that has to do with engine and gear box i recommend you be there no matter how busy you may be. you are not the one doing the work but you can take decisions concerning your car there and test the car immediately its finished.

Please let us know how it goes

I'm tired now. Changed the oil to recommended one. one minute it works fine, next minute the problem is back. it will rev with no corresponding increase in its acceleration. No gear shift. it only works fine for like 5 mins if the vehicle had been previously parked for some hrs.
Re: What's Wrong With My Car? by ZIMDRILL(m): 12:19pm On Jan 08, 2016
omotades:
I'm tired now. Changed the oil to recommended one. one minute it works fine, next minute the problem is back. it will rev with no corresponding increase in its acceleration. No gear shift. it only works fine for like 5 mins if the vehicle had been previously parked for some hrs.

looks like your gearbox is gone, does it looses gears after warming up ? ( it only works fine for like 5 mins if the vehicle had been previously parked for some hrs) that suggest that your clutches are worn out and when the oil is cold they manage to engage into gears but once the oil has warm up they slip and they wont engage into any gears
Re: What's Wrong With My Car? by omotades: 12:03am On Jan 09, 2016
ZIMDRILL:

looks like your gearbox is gone, does it looses gears after warming up ? ( it only works fine for like 5 mins if the vehicle had been previously parked for some hrs) that suggest that your clutches are worn out and when the oil is cold they manage to engage into gears but once the oil has warm up they slip and they wont engage into any gears
hmmmmmmn!
Re: What's Wrong With My Car? by lawsta(m): 5:24pm On Jan 10, 2016
let them carefully adjust the throttle position sensor and check that all gear wire harnesses are correctly and firmly coupled.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

My Experience With Policeman Today / Volvo S80 - Please Who Knows This Car. Tell Me About It / Have A Car To Sell? Get Paid Here CASH Instantly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.