Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,523 members, 7,843,620 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 08:51 AM

Don't Let The Catholic Faith Deter You From The Christian Faith - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Don't Let The Catholic Faith Deter You From The Christian Faith (10668 Views)

The Pioneers (Fathers) Of The Christian Faith In Nigeria / Am A Gay Man Thats Renouncing My Catholic Faith / Questions For Logic1 (if You Have Doubts Concerning The Christian Faith) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Don't Let The Catholic Faith Deter You From The Christian Faith by Lady2(f): 12:38am On Jun 17, 2009
I'm not arguing about what you assume to be your own Church; at least you need to be open to dialogue and see if you not missing out issues. Okay, here are just snapshots to address some misconceptions, among whcih are the ideas that "all churches were  part of the Catholic Church" before the broke away some 451 AD, etc., etc. We've repeatedly observed that is not the case, and here are a few things to consider

I am not assuming anything, I know very well that the Egyptian Coptic are very much Catholic, there are some coptics that are not catholic, but they were catholic until the schism occured.
I know this very well because at one point I considered switching rites. You do know what they are don't you.

And did you actually read look at the websites I posted. I specifically posted the Eastern Catholic website for you. From them they are Catholics.

"The Assyrian church - the Ancient Church of the East, also sometimes referred to as the Nestorian church - traces its roots back to 2nd Century Mesopotamia and is not Catholic.

Assyrian? When did Assyrian come into the picture? Are you confusing Assyrian for Armenian or are you hoping I won't see the difference? We were never talking about the Assyrian Church, tpiah did not post the assyrian church, he posted the ARMENIAN CHURCH.
Don't chage the topic.

These are the churches that tpiah posted.

Egyptian Coptic, Greek Orthodox, Armenian, nothing about Assyrian church. If he had posted about Assyrian, I would've commented on Assyrian, but he didn't did he?

The Eastern Catholic Churches and their Rites

The Holy See's Annuario Pontificio gives the following list of Eastern Catholic Churches with residence and of countries (or other political areas, consisting of more than country) in which they possess an episcopal ecclesiastical jurisdiction (date of union or foundation in parenthesis):

Alexandrian liturgical tradition
Coptic Catholic Church (patriarchate): Cairo, (163,849), Egypt (1741)
Ethiopian Catholic Church[1] (metropolia): Addis Ababa, (208,093), Ethiopia, Eritrea (1846)
Antiochian (Antiochene or West-Syrian) liturgical tradition
Maronite Church[2] (patriarchate): Bkerke, (3,105,278), Lebanon, Cyprus, Jordan, Israel, Palestinian Authority, Egypt, Syria, Argentina, Brazil, United States, Australia, Canada, Mexico (union re-affirmed 1182)
Syriac Catholic Church[3] (patriarchate): Beirut,(131,692), Lebanon, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Palestinian Authority, Egypt, Sudan, Syria, Turkey, United States and Canada, Venezuela (1781)
Syro-Malankara Catholic Church[4] (major archiepiscopate): Trivandrum, (412,640), India, United States (1930)
Armenian liturgical tradition:
Armenian Catholic Church[5] (patriarchate): Beirut, (375,182), Lebanon, Iran, Iraq, Egypt, Syria, Turkey, Jordan, Palestinian Authority, Ukraine, France, Greece, Latin America, Argentina, Romania, United States, Canada, Eastern Europe (1742)
Chaldean or East Syrian liturgical tradition:
Chaldean Catholic Church[6] (patriarchate): Baghdad, (418,194), Iraq, Iran, Lebanon, Egypt, Syria, Turkey, United States (1692)
Syro-Malabar Church[7] (major archiepiscopate): Ernakulam, (3,902,089), India, Middle East, Europe and America (date disputed)
Byzantine (Constantinopolitan) liturgical tradition:
Albanian Greek Catholic Church (apostolic administration): (3,510), Albania (1628)
Belarusian Greek Catholic Church (no established hierarchy at present): (10,000), Belarus (1596)
Bulgarian Greek Catholic Church[8] (apostolic exarchate): Sofia,(10,107), Bulgaria (1861)
Byzantine Church of the Eparchy of Križevci[9] (an eparchy and an apostolic exarchate): Križevci, Ruski Krstur (21,480) + (22,653), Croatia, Serbia and Montenegro (1611)
Greek Byzantine Catholic Church[10] (two apostolic exarchates): Athens, (2,325), Greece, Turkey (1829)
Hungarian Greek Catholic Church[11] (an eparchy and an apostolic exarchate): Nyiregyháza, (290,000), Hungary (1646)
Italo-Albanian Catholic Church (two eparchies and a territorial abbacy): (63,240), Italy (Never separated)
Macedonian Greek Catholic Church (an apostolic exarchate): Skopje, (11,491), Republic of Macedonia (1918)
Melkite Greek Catholic Church[12] (patriarchate): Damascus, (1,346,635), Syria, Lebanon, Jordan, Israel, Brazil, United States, Canada, Mexico, Iraq, Egypt and Sudan, Kuwait, Australia, Venezuela, Argentina (1726)
Romanian Church United with Rome, Greek-Catholic[13] (major archiepiscopate): Blaj, (776,529) Romania, United States (1697)
Russian Catholic Church[14]: (two apostolic exarchates, at present with no published hierarchs): Russia, China (1905); currently about 20 parishes and communities scattered around the world, including five in Russia itself, answering to bishops of other jurisdictions
Ruthenian Catholic Church[15] (a sui juris metropolia[16], an eparchy[17], and an apostolic exarchate[18]): Uzhhorod, Pittsburgh, (594,465), United States, Ukraine, Czech Republic (1646)
Slovak Greek Catholic Church (metropolia): Prešov, (243,335), Slovak Republic, Canada (1646)
Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church[19] (major archiepiscopate): Kyiv, (4,223,425), Ukraine, Poland, United States, Canada, Great Britain, Australia, Germany and Scandinavia, France, Brazil, Argentina (1595)
Re: Don't Let The Catholic Faith Deter You From The Christian Faith by pilgrim1(f): 12:40am On Jun 17, 2009
~Lady~:

How can a schism occur if they were not initally a part of the Catholic church. You can only have a schism when you were once together.

Definition of a schism

schism  /ˈsɪzəm, ˈskɪz-/  Show Spelled Pronunciation [siz-uhm, skiz-]  Show IPA
–noun 1. division or disunion, esp. into mutually opposed parties.
2. the parties so formed.
3. Ecclesiastical. a. a formal division within, or separation from, a church or religious body over some doctrinal difference.
b. the state of a sect or body formed by such division.
c. the offense of causing or seeking to cause such a division.

You obviously are too driven to defend Catholicism rather than looking objectively at what people are posting. Please go back and see the samples I gave earlier:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-284000.32.html#msg4040047

Do those sound like they were "Catholic" before the schism?

The Assyrian church - the Ancient Church of the East, also sometimes referred to as the Nestorian church - traces its roots back to 2nd Century Mesopotamia and is not Catholic
Re: Don't Let The Catholic Faith Deter You From The Christian Faith by pilgrim1(f): 12:47am On Jun 17, 2009
~Lady~:

Assyrian? When did Assyrian come into the picture? Are you confusing Assyrian for Armenian or are you hoping I won't see the difference? We were never talking about the Assyrian Church, tpiah did not post the assyrian church, he posted the ARMENIAN CHURCH.
Don't chage the topic.

Omenuko:

All churches were at one point part of the Catholic Church.

Omenuko:

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough.  All of the churches I mentioned in my post (Armenian, Egyptian, Greek, and Ethiopian) were at one point or another part of the Catholic Church.
Re: Don't Let The Catholic Faith Deter You From The Christian Faith by Lady2(f): 12:49am On Jun 17, 2009
You obviously are too driven to defend Catholicism rather than looking objectively at what people are posting. Please go back and see the samples I gave earlier:

Oh miss pilgrim you are way too funny, when you can't provide any evidence you result to discredit the messenger. Talk about the topic o jare, provide evidence, and I did see your examples, your examples had nothing to do with what we're talking about.

Tpiah mentioned, the Egyptian Coptic Church, the Cgreek Orthodox Church, and the ARMENIAN church.

But here you are talking about the Assyrian church, that has nothing to do with the topic.

But even still, the bbc article was written in present times, it was written after the schism, therefore it would call the assyrian church a non-catholic church, and it will rightfully say it existed since the 2nd century. But what you fail to realise is that during that 2nd century when it was founded, it was a part of the Catholic church. Today the Assyrian church is not catholic, but was it catholic back in the day?

I asked you a question. Can a schsim occur without any unity being there before? How can you have a division if there was no unity before? Haw can you divide 1, if that 1 was never 1?

pilgrim.1:

Madam keep praying to God, that myself and the readers will get confused. It wasn't Omenuko that I replied to it was tpiah so copy tpiah's post not Omenuko's post. Second you are talking about ASSYRIAN, not ARMENIAN. or is it that you don't pay attention to what you post?
Re: Don't Let The Catholic Faith Deter You From The Christian Faith by Lady2(f): 12:55am On Jun 17, 2009
Pilgrim this is what you posted.

"[size=14pt]The Assyrian church[/size] - the Ancient Church of the East, also sometimes referred to as the Nestorian church - traces its roots back to 2nd Century Mesopotamia and is not Catholic.

source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4499668.stm#iraq

[size=13pt]You[/size] are not talking about the Armenian church that everyone is talking about. Where did [size=13pt]ASSYRIAN[/size] come from that [size=13pt]you[/size] are talking about?
Re: Don't Let The Catholic Faith Deter You From The Christian Faith by pilgrim1(f): 12:55am On Jun 17, 2009
~Lady~:

Oh miss pilgrim you are way too funny, when you can't provide any evidence you result to discredit the messenger. Talk about the topic o jare, provide evidence, and I did see your examples, your examples had nothing to do with what we're talking about.

I'm not discrediting you, and if you are calmer you'd see you're the one too much in a haste to read issues objectively because you're trying to dragoon all churches under the Catholic umbrella.

When omenuko conjectured that all churches were at one point part of the Catholic Church, I raised the issue that they were not - and replied accordingly. You never for one moment calmed down to understand what was being discussed before assuming what you're didn't read. Please take some time to breathe and look at what people are saying, follow their sequence instead of being too hasty to reply.
Re: Don't Let The Catholic Faith Deter You From The Christian Faith by pilgrim1(f): 12:56am On Jun 17, 2009
~Lady~:

Pilgrim this is what you posted.

[size=13pt]You[/size] are not talking about the Armenian church that everyone is talking about. Where did [size=13pt]ASSYRIAN[/size] come from that [size=13pt]you[/size] are talking about?

Please take some time and READ - READ the sequence of why I posted that following Omenuko's assertion earlier. Your hasty responses are becoming hysterical.
Re: Don't Let The Catholic Faith Deter You From The Christian Faith by toneyb: 12:58am On Jun 17, 2009
pilgrim.1:

I'd like you to please start from there.

I asked you a question and you said I should please start from there.

tpiah:

what part of Jewish Torah are you not getting?

My point is without the New Testament there'll still be plenty of churches, since the early Christians didnt have a new testament in their own bible. Neither did Jesus.

Without the bible as it is today(an idea of the catholic bishops) Christianity would have not survived. There were so many letters and most people wrote what they felt was right and passed it as the writings or the words of the apostles. Most were very much at odds with each other and were really a source of discord and disharmony example the gospel of peter, judas, clement, book of enouch, revelation of peter, book of mary magdalene. book of mary etc. The catholics did a good job because the choose the books that agreed with their theology, preserved it and presented it to the world as the christian book of god. There was no christian book of god only the jewish book of god(hebrew bible). There were only different letters that were in circulation.The catholics made the christian book of god.
Re: Don't Let The Catholic Faith Deter You From The Christian Faith by Lady2(f): 12:59am On Jun 17, 2009
I'm not discrediting you, and if you are calmer you'd see you're the one too much in a haste to read issues objectively because you're trying to dragoon all churches under the Catholic umbrella.

Lol, now you can read my emotions. Please talk about the topic. If they weren't Catholic, prove that before the schism they weren't catholic.

When omenuko conjectured that all churches were at one point part of the Catholic Church, I raised the issue that they were not - and replied accordingly. You never for one moment calmed down to understand what was being discussed before assuming what you're didn't read. Please take some time to breathe and look at what people are saying, follow their sequence instead of being too hasty to reply.

See how confused you are, I wasn't talking about Omenuko, it is Tpiah that I quoted. Or is it that you do not care to take the time to find the truth that automatically you think we're spewing rubbish?
Re: Don't Let The Catholic Faith Deter You From The Christian Faith by pilgrim1(f): 1:03am On Jun 17, 2009
~Lady~:

But even still, the bbc article was written in present times, it was written after the schism, therefore it would call the assyrian church a non-catholic church, and it will rightfully say it existed since the 2nd century. But what you fail to realise is that during that 2nd century when it was founded, it was a part of the Catholic church. Today the Assyrian church is not catholic, but was it catholic back in the day?

Please stop making unfounded statements. The BBC article did not trace the Assyrian Church to a Catholic origin in the 2nd century; and you could please calm down and see the following -

http://www.nestorian.org/history_of_the_nestorian_churc.html
Re: Don't Let The Catholic Faith Deter You From The Christian Faith by tpiah: 1:03am On Jun 17, 2009
toneyb:

Without the bible as it is today () Christianity would have not survived. There were so many letters and most people wrote what they felt was right and passed it as the writings or the words of the apostles. Most were very much at odds with each other and were really a source of discord and disharmony example the gospel of peter, judas, clement, book of enouch, revelation of peter, book of mary magdalene. book of mary etc. The catholics did a good job because the choose the books that agreed with their theology, preserved it and presented it to the world as the christian book of god. There was no christian book of god only the jewish book of god(hebrew bible). There were only different letters that were in circulation.The catholics made the christian book of god.

is that what you believe? Especially the bolded.

Good luck to you then.
Re: Don't Let The Catholic Faith Deter You From The Christian Faith by pilgrim1(f): 1:06am On Jun 17, 2009
~Lady~:

Lol, now you can read my emotions. Please talk about the topic. If they weren't Catholic, prove that before the schism they weren't catholic.

I have taken the time, watched your hasty reactions and asked you to calm down - we're not in the era of the catholic crusades. I just left a link to your request, thank you.

~Lady~:

See how confused you are, I wasn't talking about Omenuko, it is Tpiah that I quoted. Or is it that you do not care to take the time to find the truth that automatically you think we're spewing rubbish?

You didn't follow what we were discussing before assuming that others are spewing rubbish. How do you just jump in and make absolutely no connection between what people are discussing before writing them off - what rationality does that display about the way you argue?
Re: Don't Let The Catholic Faith Deter You From The Christian Faith by pilgrim1(f): 1:07am On Jun 17, 2009
toneyb:

I did, because obviously your idea of a "canon" is just linear.
Re: Don't Let The Catholic Faith Deter You From The Christian Faith by toneyb: 1:11am On Jun 17, 2009
pilgrim.1:

I did, because obviously you idea of a "canon" is just linear.

I don't think you really want to have any meaningful discussion you want to go off tangent as usual. wink

tpiah:

is that what you believe? Especially the bolded.

Good luck to you then.

How would Christianity have survived without the bible?
Re: Don't Let The Catholic Faith Deter You From The Christian Faith by pilgrim1(f): 1:16am On Jun 17, 2009
toneyb:

I don't think you really want to have any meaningful discussion you want to go off tangent as usual. wink

I'm not going off any tangent, that's why I've been reserved and asking simple questions. I'm not pushing anything or in haste to make driven assertions like confusing "writers" for what it is not or using the word 'canon' wider than it appertains to what is being discussed. For that reason, I simply ask questions. If you're not inclined to discuss it, no worries.
Re: Don't Let The Catholic Faith Deter You From The Christian Faith by Lady2(f): 1:46am On Jun 17, 2009
Please take some time and READ - READ the sequence of why I posted that following Omenuko's assertion earlier. Your hasty responses are becoming hysterical.

Once again, it is not Omenuko, but tpiah. I was referring to tpiah.

Please stop making unfounded statements. The BBC article did not trace the Assyrian Church to a Catholic origin in the 2nd century; and you could please calm down and see the following -

Madam I already know the history of the Nestorian church, no be today I study history. The Nestorians had a schsim, in order for this schism to occur they must have been a part of something. If the bbc article did not trace them to the Catholics, the bbc needs to do a better research because it lacks logic.

Here's a link
http://www.nestorian.org/nestorian_timeline.html
It was at the council of ephesus that they went into schism because of the nature of Jesus. They were Catholic before then, they were present at the other councils, therefore making them Catholics before their schism

You didn't follow what we were discussing before assuming that others are spewing rubbish. How do you just jump in and make absolutely no connection between what people are discussing before writing them off - what rationality does that display about the way you argue?

Oh I very well did, but if it will make u feel better sorry, now prove your assertions and use logic please.

Just so we can be clear, I replied to tpiah, then you replied to me, then I replied to you, Omenuko was never in the picture as far as I was concerned. But anyway, prove your assertions.
Re: Don't Let The Catholic Faith Deter You From The Christian Faith by Lady2(f): 1:50am On Jun 17, 2009
Pilgrim.1
I'm going to quote from your own source to show that they were Catholics before their schism.

Mar Aprim the Assyrian, the representative of the Church in the first ecumenical council at Nicea in 325A.D., played a great role in the literary and religious life of all Christians until today. That is the reason he is recognized by the Roman Catholic Church which declared Saint Aprim as the doctor of the Universal Church

In the fifth century, the Nestorian controversy concerning the unity of the divine and human nature in Christ had far reaching consequences. At this time, the Church of the East was not involved in this controversy. It was a theological dispute within the Roman Empire.

Notice that they had a representative at the 1st council of Nicea, making them Catholic at that time.
This is your own source that I am using o.
Re: Don't Let The Catholic Faith Deter You From The Christian Faith by pilgrim1(f): 8:13am On Jun 17, 2009
@~Lady~,

I would like to make something clear to you, please - if you can be reasonable enough to take it in.

We're not in the era of the Catholic crusade when the Catholics tried to kill everybody that was non-Catholic and discredit those who rejected Catholicism. The attitude you demonstrated all through didn't help your arguments, and I found discussing with other Catholics like Omenuko a better and more reasonable engagement. Why? Simply because he was willing to be considerate and discuss, not start out being reactive and maintain a dismissive over-rated importance. Several times I asked that you calmed down and try to be reasonable, but these all went overboard; and as such you kept shouting "tpiah" like he owned the thread or that is the only person discussing in this thread.

Now, why did I bring in the case of the Assyrian Church? I mentioned several times it was in response to Omenuko's assertions earlier. It was infact at the point he posted the reply below that I decided to correct that misconception:

Omenuko:

The person who created this thread said, "Don't let the Catholic Faith Deter You From the Christian Faith."  What the originator fails to understand is that the Christian faith is the Catholic Faith.  The Catholic Church is the original church.  The term 'Catholic' was the term the members of the early church used to distinguish between orthodox belief and heretical doctrine from pseudo-christian sects.  What the poster fails to understand is that the Catholic Church included all of the apostolic churches, such as the Roman/Latin, Russian, Greek, Coptic, Ethiopian, Syrian, Indian, [size=14pt]etc[/size].

This trend went on with such quotes as -

Omenuko:

Afterward, the Greek (Eastern Orthodox) and Roman/Latin churches separated around 1054AD (although it was not a hard split).  All churches were at one point part of the Catholic Church.

Following that, I replied thus: "That is precisely the problem. From all points considered, it does not follow that all churches were at any point "part of" the Catholic Church. If we revisit Church history, we find that some churches indeed grew almost indepently apart from the Catholic Church; and it was only when they convened to deliberate on doctrines that the schisms occured." To this, his reply was thus:

Omenuko:

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough.  All of the churches I mentioned in my post (Armenian, Egyptian, Greek, and Ethiopian) were at one point or another part of the Catholic Church. I do agree with you that there were some churches (though quite small in number) that developed apart from the 'Catholic Church'.

There were indeed some churches that developed apart from the Catholic Church, and these were quite large churches, autonomous from the Catholic Church that had its See in the Roman Empire - to this, Omenuko was agreed. However, when Catholics keep trying to force the idea that anything they read about Church history must be bent backwards to mean that ALL Churches were "Catholic" before the schism in the 5th century, that was why I replied thus:

pilgrim.1:

Okay, here are just snapshots to address some misconceptions, among which are the ideas that "all churches were  part of the Catholic Church" before the broke away some 451 AD, etc., etc. We've repeatedly observed that is not the case, and here are a few things to consider:

Rather than calm down to read through, reason along and make comments, you started off charging indiscriminately and continued to miss the point I was making about Catholics claiming that "ALL CHURCHES" were Catholic before the schism of the 5th century! When I pointed out certain pointers that such is not the case, you again tried to dragoon the BBC report to make the churches there "Catholic". Now you came back typically with the same dismissive attitude and quipping "If the bbc article did not trace them to the Catholics, the bbc needs to do a better research because it lacks logic" - you're sounding as if the BBC must by default claim what is a false history typical of Catholic arguments; and if the BBC refuses to rewrite history in that bend, then you charge them with unscholarly research! When further discussion ensue to show you how dismissive you've been all along with such unhealthy attitude, you come back hooting "tpiah", "tpiah" all over! What is really the problem that you feel all roads must lead to Roman Catholicism and 'tpiah' before you can see reason in what others are saying? Your reaction does not address issues but just stretch things far too presumptuously and yet miss everything! This was why I felt if you're not inclined to discuss, you should be better left alone charging full speed and missing the target - I'm not new to the Catholic attitude of being unreasonable.
Re: Don't Let The Catholic Faith Deter You From The Christian Faith by pilgrim1(f): 9:07am On Jun 17, 2009
~Lady~:

Once again, it is not Omenuko, but tpiah. I was referring to tpiah.

And Omenuko has no right to discuss in this thread? What is so disturbing about discussing what Omenuko broached for consideration that you've not been calm to reason along with others? Why this repeated dismissive attitude?

~Lady~:

Madam I already know the history of the Nestorian church, no be today I study history. The Nestorians had a schsim, in order for this schism to occur they must have been a part of something. If the bbc article did not trace them to the Catholics, the bbc needs to do a better research because it lacks logic.

It is clear that unbiased history does not make the 'Nestorian' Church a part of the Catholic Church - that is why you should not assume that the BBC "needs to do a better research because it lacks logic" - what logic? The logic of falsehood? Would it be 'logic' if they had stated what you had wanted to see by dragging the Nestorian Church into Catholic origin in the 2nd century? No - the BBC quite clearly and succinctly captured the essence of true and scholarly reports on the History of the Nestorian Church. The reason why Catholics typically react the way you did is not strange - because the Catholic Church has been trying ever so hard to discredit them on unfounded reasons:

[list]
Strangely, the church which spread throughout most of Asia bears the apellation “Nestorian, after the fifth century patriarch of Constantinople, Nestorius, who was condemned by Rome as a heretic in A.D. 430. The name is actually a misnomer which became current in the West; the Roman See had sought to discredit this church, which had renounced Rome's primacy for geographical, political, linguistic, and doctrinal reasons. Nestorian was not the name by which the church knew itself., nor was it so commonly designated in Asian lands.

source: Wikipedia
[/list]

Why do Catholics (not all Catholics though) behave in such a manner - to seek a way of discrediting what does not follow their own ideology? I'm just wondering, because this whole drama would have been unnecessary if you'd calmed down and reasoned issues through and not being reactive unnecessarily.

~Lady~:

Here's a link
http://www.nestorian.org/nestorian_timeline.html
It was at the council of ephesus that they went into schism because of the nature of Jesus. They were Catholic before then, they were present at the other councils, therefore making them Catholics before their schism

You're the one trying ever so hard to "make them Catholics" - just because they were present at some councils? This is what the link says about Ephesus - "431 Third Ecumenical Council of Ephesus condemns Nestorius as a heretic" - and yet, the 'Nestorian Church' did not know itself by such a name, because it was a misnomer. The reason why they came to be known as such is partly due to Rome seeking persistently to discredit them for the reason that they held the view that Nestorius was not a heretic. More to the point was that this Church had its own See and were not under the jurisdiction of the Roman See. Any ideas about why the same link states that "School of the Persians in Edessa first closed by Romans" in just about the same period?

~Lady~:
Oh I very well did, but if it will make u feel better sorry, now prove your assertions and use logic please.

I doubt you "very well did", considering the way you kept charging full speed and yet missing the point. I just outlined it once again in my reply just above.

~Lady~:

Just so we can be clear, I replied to tpiah, then you replied to me, then I replied to you, Omenuko was never in the picture as far as I was concerned. But anyway, prove your assertions.

Please see my reply above.

~Lady~:

Pilgrim.1
I'm going to quote from your own source to show that they were Catholics before their schism.

Notice that they had a representative at the 1st council of Nicea, making them Catholic at that time.
This is your own source that I am using o.

Just because they were present at the Council of Nicea does not "make them Catholic" - that is simply laughable. Mar Aprim was the representative of the Assyrian Church in the first ecumenical council at Nicea in 325A.D., but it does not make the Assyrian Church a Roman Catholic church - rather, the Roman Catholic Church "recognized" his great role in the literary and religious life of all Christians until today. Just being present at a Council does not in itself constitute "origin" of a Church from Catholicism.
Re: Don't Let The Catholic Faith Deter You From The Christian Faith by faith69: 10:07am On Jun 17, 2009
pilgrim.1:

And Omenuko has no right to discuss in this thread? What is so disturbing about discussing what Omenuko broached for consideration that you've not been calm to reason along with others? Why this repeated dismissive attitude?

It is clear that unbiased history does not make the 'Nestorian' Church a part of the Catholic Church - that is why you should not assume that the BBC "needs to do a better research because it lacks logic" - what logic? The logic of falsehood? Would it be 'logic' if they had stated what you had wanted to see by dragging the Nestorian Church into Catholic origin in the 2nd century? No - the BBC quite clearly and succinctly captured the essence of true and scholarly reports on the History of the Nestorian Church. The reason why Catholics typically react the way you did is not strange - because the Catholic Church has been trying ever so hard to discredit them on unfounded reasons:

[list][/list]

Why do Catholics (not all Catholics though) behave in such a manner - to seek a way of discrediting what does not follow their own ideology? I'm just wondering, because this whole drama would have been unnecessary if you'd calmed down and reasoned issues through and not being reactive unnecessarily.

You're the one trying ever so hard to "make them Catholics" - just because they were present at some councils? This is what the link says about Ephesus - "431 Third Ecumenical Council of Ephesus condemns Nestorius as a heretic" - and yet, the 'Nestorian Church' did not know itself by such a name, because it was a misnomer. The reason why they came to be known as such is partly due to Rome seeking persistently to discredit them for the reason that they held the view that Nestorius was not a heretic. More to the point was that this Church had its own See and were not under the jurisdiction of the Roman See. Any ideas about why the same link states that "School of the Persians in Edessa first closed by Romans" in just about the same period?

I doubt you "very well did", considering the way you kept charging full speed and yet missing the point. I just outlined it once again in my reply just above.

Please see my reply above.

Just because they were present at the Council of Nicea does not "make them Catholic" - that is simply laughable. Mar Aprim was the representative of the Assyrian Church in the first ecumenical council at Nicea in 325A.D., but it does not make the Assyrian Church a Roman Catholic church - rather, the Roman Catholic Church "recognized" his great role in the literary and religious life of all Christians until today. Just being present at a Council does not in itself constitute "origin" of a Church from Catholicism.

sorry to disappoint you young lady at the council of nicea the church the was one anyone in that council was roman catholic.

also somewhere ealier you said christianity preceded roman catholicism,please i would like you to educate me on when roman cathiolicism was formed and by whom
Re: Don't Let The Catholic Faith Deter You From The Christian Faith by pilgrim1(f): 11:59am On Jun 17, 2009
faith69:

sorry to disappoint you young lady at the council of nicea the church the was one anyone in that council was roman catholic.

You keep repeating this mantra that has no basis on all that have been said. Making statements just because you said so is not the same thing as what is authentically the case. I'm not disappointed, yours is just one more of those vacant assertions made for the fun of it.

faith69:
also somewhere ealier you said christianity preceded roman catholicism,please i would like you to educate me on when roman cathiolicism was formed and by whom

Please quote me in context, and I would oblige you what I meant there. Cheers.
Re: Don't Let The Catholic Faith Deter You From The Christian Faith by Omenuko(m): 5:04pm On Jun 17, 2009
@Pilgrim1,

The the Nestorian church was part of the Catholic Church.  This church was initially known as the Assyrian Church of the East and was later tiltled Nestorian after the Archbishop of Constantinople, Nestorius.

Nestorianism is the doctrine that the two individual natures of Christ, the human and the divine, are joined in conjunction ("synapheia"wink rather than in hypostatic union.[1] The doctrine is identified with Nestorius (c. 386–c. 451), Archbishop of Constantinople. This view of Christ was condemned at the First Council of Ephesus in 431, and the conflict over this view led to the Nestorian schism, separating the Assyrian Church of the East from the churches adherent to the First Council of Ephesus, among them being the Roman Catholic Church, the Eastern Orthodox Church, and the Oriental Orthodox Church.

Pilgrim1, what is your definition of the Catholic Church?  You seem to be conflating the Catholic Church with the Church of Rome (aka the Roman Catholic Church).  The quote above asserts that, 1) the Nestorian Church was previously known as the Assyrian Church of the East, 2) that it was in communion with the Roman Catholic Church, the Eastern Orthodox Church, and the Oriental Orthodox Church, 3) this church was separated from its sister churches (i.e., Rome/Latin, Eastern/Greek, Oriental/Egypt), and 4) the Assyrian, Roman, Eastern, and Oriental Churches were, before the schism, part of one church (aka the Catholic Church).

And how does the quote you provided from wikipedia prove that the Assyrian (Nestorian) church was not part of the Catholic Church (see below):

Strangely, the church which spread throughout most of Asia bears the apellation “Nestorian, after the fifth century patriarch of Constantinople, Nestorius, who was condemned by Rome as a heretic in A.D. 430. The name is actually a misnomer which became current in the West; the Roman See had sought to discredit this church, which had renounced Rome's primacy for geographical, political, linguistic, and doctrinal reasons. Nestorian was not the name by which the church knew itself., nor was it so commonly designated in Asian lands.

What it does hint at is that there were political misgivings between the Assyrian Church and the Roman church.  It does not in any way say that the Assyrian church and the Roman church developed separately or where not in communion. . . .talk less of not being part of one church.  From your logic, its as though the Anglican or Lutheran Churches waking up one day and saying they were never part of the Catholic Church, because they separated from Rome and were labeled Protestants.  Whether they (Anglican and Lutheran) like it or not they were part of the Catholic Church.  The situation the occurred between Catholic church and the Protestants churches (i.e., separating) can be likened to the situation between the Catholic Church (Rome, Greek, Egyptian) and the Assyrian or Nestorian Church.   

Pilgrim1, what you are saying doesn't make sense.  The Assyrian church was in communion with the churches of Rome, Constantinople, and Egypt.  The Roman/Latin church had administrative influence over most of western Europe and parts of north Africa.  The church of Constantinople had administrative influence over the Greek speaking areas of Europe and parts of the near middle east (including Assyria).  The Coptic/Egyptian Church had administrative influence over parts of north Africa, Ethiopia, and parts of the middle east.  The churches of Antioch and Jerusalem eventually came under the influence of Constantinople.  All of these churches (Rome, Constantinople, and Egypt) were part of the Catholic Church.  They had the same belief and doctrines and were in communion with one another.

The very fact that they attended this council and participated is the very reason why they were Catholic.  No one is saying the Assyrian Church is part of the Roman Catholic church.  What we are saying is that the Assyrian Church, and the Roman Church were sisters churches within the Catholic Church.  The Assyrian Church was indeed part of the Catholic Church.
Re: Don't Let The Catholic Faith Deter You From The Christian Faith by pilgrim1(f): 7:10pm On Jun 17, 2009
@Omenuko,

Omenuko:

@Pilgrim1,

The the Nestorian church was part of the Catholic Church.  This church was initially known as the Assyrian Church of the East and was later tiltled Nestorian after the Archbishop of Constantinople, Nestorius.

The Assyrian Church was not "part of" the Catholic Church as a single denomination - we've been through this before and it's needless repeating the same thing like a broken record. You guys are reading things into the quotes and forcing the Assyrian Church into the 'Catholic Church'; whereas, the quotes often referred to do not lead to that inference.

Omenuko:
Pilgrim1, what is your definition of the Catholic Church?  You seem to be conflating the Catholic Church with the Church of Rome (aka the Roman Catholic Church).

No, I'm not - as could be seen, that idea often emerges in the minds of 'Catholics', as could be seen in faith69's earlier response. Let me quote faith69's direct response to my post earlier as regards how Catholics define 'Catholic Church'  -

[list]
faith69:

[/list]

Just wondering: what makes everyone in any Council to automatically be 'Roman Catholic' (or even 'Catholic Church')? Is any quote so far from any source saying that everyone in any council had to be '[Roman] Catholic'? If this misconception keeps popping up from catholics themselves, is that my worry? The only thing I could do is take the ideas of Catholics themselves and discuss accordingly, so that we can move on and minimise confusion. To this end, I'd be glad to see you guys reading your own ideas into quotes that do not say what you want them to say.

Omenuko:

The quote above asserts that, 1) the Nestorian Church was previously known as the Assyrian Church of the East, 2) that it was in communion with the Roman Catholic Church, the Eastern Orthodox Church, and the Oriental Orthodox Church, 3) this church was separated from its sister churches (i.e., Rome/Latin, Eastern/Greek, Oriental/Egypt), and 4) the Assyrian, Roman, Eastern, and Oriental Churches were, before the schism, part of one church (aka the Catholic Church).

It seems to me that you're leading on to a dilemma here. Could I just begin to ask questions instead of trying to point out quotes to you? I think probably that may be more helpful if you still fail to see the basic point here.

1. What exactly in your understanding was the 'Catholic Church'?

2. What do you mean by 'they were part of one church (aka the Catholic Church)' ?

3. Where's the papacy in all these churches?

4. which church among them had jurisdiction over them, since they were all 'one church'?

Perhaps these would help contextualize the discussion and then we can distinguish between terms and maintain a balance and a focus.

Omenuko:

And how does the quote you provided from wikipedia prove that the Assyrian (Nestorian) church was not part of the Catholic Church (see below):

It all depends on what you mean by 'Catholic Church'.

Omenuko:

What it does hint at is that there were political misgivings between the Assyrian Church and the Roman church.  It does not in any way say that the Assyrian church and the Roman church developed separately or where not in communion. . . .talk less of not being part of one church.

What 'one church' do you mean? Please take the time to identify that 'one church' and let's talk about it, as it's not enough to keep repeating the same thing about 'Catholic Church' and mistaking it for something else midway.

Omenuko:

From your logic, its as though the Anglican or Lutheran Churches waking up one day and saying they were never part of the Catholic Church, because they separated from Rome and were labeled Protestants.  Whether they (Anglican and Lutheran) like it or not they were part of the Catholic Church.  The situation the occurred between Catholic church and the Protestants churches (i.e., separating) can be likened to the situation between the Catholic Church (Rome, Greek, Egyptian) and the Assyrian or Nestorian Church.

I hear. Just bear that in mind as you explicate what you mean by 'Catholic Church'.

Omenuko:

Pilgrim1, what you are saying doesn't make sense.  The Assyrian church was in communion with the churches of Rome, Constantinople, and Egypt.  The Roman/Latin church had administrative influence over most of western Europe and parts of north Africa.  The church of Constantinople had administrative influence over the Greek speaking areas of Europe and parts of the near middle east (including Assyria).  The Coptic/Egyptian Church had administrative influence over parts of north Africa, Ethiopia, and parts of the middle east.  The churches of Antioch and Jerusalem eventually came under the influence of Constantinople.  All of these churches (Rome, Constantinople, and Egypt) were part of the Catholic Church.  They had the same belief and doctrines and were in communion with one another.

Being in communion is not the issue - there are several churches today and back in early history that were in communion but could not be said to be "part of" one vague term. Please identify the term 'Catholic Church' and then we can mirror your assertions against it.

Omenuko:

The very fact that they attended this council and participated is the very reason why they were Catholic.  No one is saying the Assyrian Church is part of the Roman Catholic church.  What we are saying is that the Assyrian Church, and the Roman Church were sisters churches within the Catholic Church.  The Assyrian Church was indeed part of the Catholic Church.

I knew the words in bold is what is controlling the mindset of most Catholics - especially naija Catholics. Just because someone attended a council automatically makes that person a Catholic, kwo? No wahala, please follow through with the simple oft-repeated request above and we can develop your ideas consequently.

Shalom.
Re: Don't Let The Catholic Faith Deter You From The Christian Faith by Omenuko(m): 8:26pm On Jun 17, 2009
pilgrim.1:

@Omenuko,

The Assyrian Church was not "part of" the Catholic Church as a single denomination - we've been through this before and it's needless repeating the same thing like a broken record. You guys are reading things into the quotes and forcing the Assyrian Church into the 'Catholic Church'; whereas, the quotes often referred to do not lead to that inference.

No, I'm not - as could be seen, that idea often emerges in the minds of 'Catholics', as could be seen in faith69's earlier response. Let me quote faith69's direct response to my post earlier as regards how Catholics define 'Catholic Church'  -

[list][/list]

Just wondering: what makes everyone in any Council to automatically be 'Roman Catholic' (or even 'Catholic Church')? Is any quote so far from any source saying that everyone in any council had to be '[Roman] Catholic'? If this misconception keeps popping up from catholics themselves, is that my worry? The only thing I could do is take the ideas of Catholics themselves and discuss accordingly, so that we can move on and minimise confusion. To this end, I'd be glad to see you guys reading your own ideas into quotes that do not say what you want them to say.

It seems to me that you're leading on to a dilemma here. Could I just begin to ask questions instead of trying to point out quotes to you? I think probably that may be more helpful if you still fail to see the basic point here.

1. What exactly in your understanding was the 'Catholic Church'?

2. What do you mean by 'they were part of one church (aka the Catholic Church)' ?

3. Where's the papacy in all these churches?

4. which church among them had jurisdiction over them, since they were all 'one church'?

Perhaps these would help contextualize the discussion and then we can distinguish between terms and maintain a balance and a focus.

It all depends on what you mean by 'Catholic Church'.

What 'one church' do you mean? Please take the time to identify that 'one church' and let's talk about it, as it's not enough to keep repeating the same thing about 'Catholic Church' and mistaking it for something else midway.

I hear. Just bear that in mind as you explicate what you mean by 'Catholic Church'.

Being in communion is not the issue - there are several churches today and back in early history that were in communion but could not be said to be "part of" one vague term. Please identify the term 'Catholic Church' and then we can mirror your assertions against it.

I knew the words in bold is what is controlling the mindset of most Catholics - especially naija Catholics. Just because someone attended a council automatically makes that person a Catholic, kwo? No wahala, please follow through with the simple oft-repeated request above and we can develop your ideas consequently.

Shalom.

Lady posted the below a while back.  It basically is a list of eastern catholic churches and rites.  These churches, along with the Latin/Roman Church, make up the Catholic Church.  We do not call them different denominations; we call them different traditions or rites.  Basically, the Catholic church consists of sister churches; same faith, same belief, and in communion with the Pope. Hopefully, Lady and others can help define what is meant by the Catholic Church.  I'm busy now and will respond later.

Alexandrian liturgical tradition
Coptic Catholic Church (patriarchate): Cairo, (163,849), Egypt (1741)
Ethiopian Catholic Church[1] (metropolia): Addis Ababa, (208,093), Ethiopia, Eritrea (1846)
Antiochian (Antiochene or West-Syrian) liturgical tradition
Maronite Church[2] (patriarchate): Bkerke, (3,105,278), Lebanon, Cyprus, Jordan, Israel, Palestinian Authority, Egypt, Syria, Argentina, Brazil, United States, Australia, Canada, Mexico (union re-affirmed 1182)
Syriac Catholic Church[3] (patriarchate): Beirut,(131,692), Lebanon, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Palestinian Authority, Egypt, Sudan, Syria, Turkey, United States and Canada, Venezuela (1781)
Syro-Malankara Catholic Church[4] (major archiepiscopate): Trivandrum, (412,640), India, United States (1930)
Armenian liturgical tradition:
Armenian Catholic Church[5] (patriarchate): Beirut, (375,182), Lebanon, Iran, Iraq, Egypt, Syria, Turkey, Jordan, Palestinian Authority, Ukraine, France, Greece, Latin America, Argentina, Romania, United States, Canada, Eastern Europe (1742)
Chaldean or East Syrian liturgical tradition:
Chaldean Catholic Church[6] (patriarchate): Baghdad, (418,194), Iraq, Iran, Lebanon, Egypt, Syria, Turkey, United States (1692)
Syro-Malabar Church[7] (major archiepiscopate): Ernakulam, (3,902,089), India, Middle East, Europe and America (date disputed)
Byzantine (Constantinopolitan) liturgical tradition:
Albanian Greek Catholic Church (apostolic administration): (3,510), Albania (1628)
Belarusian Greek Catholic Church (no established hierarchy at present): (10,000), Belarus (1596)
Bulgarian Greek Catholic Church[8] (apostolic exarchate): Sofia,(10,107), Bulgaria (1861)
Byzantine Church of the Eparchy of Križevci[9] (an eparchy and an apostolic exarchate): Križevci, Ruski Krstur (21,480) + (22,653), Croatia, Serbia and Montenegro (1611)
Greek Byzantine Catholic Church[10] (two apostolic exarchates): Athens, (2,325), Greece, Turkey (1829)
Hungarian Greek Catholic Church[11] (an eparchy and an apostolic exarchate): Nyiregyháza, (290,000), Hungary (1646)
Italo-Albanian Catholic Church (two eparchies and a territorial abbacy): (63,240), Italy (Never separated)
Macedonian Greek Catholic Church (an apostolic exarchate): Skopje, (11,491), Republic of Macedonia (1918)
Melkite Greek Catholic Church[12] (patriarchate): Damascus, (1,346,635), Syria, Lebanon, Jordan, Israel, Brazil, United States, Canada, Mexico, Iraq, Egypt and Sudan, Kuwait, Australia, Venezuela, Argentina (1726)
Romanian Church United with Rome, Greek-Catholic[13] (major archiepiscopate): Blaj, (776,529) Romania, United States (1697)
Russian Catholic Church[14]: (two apostolic exarchates, at present with no published hierarchs): Russia, China (1905); currently about 20 parishes and communities scattered around the world, including five in Russia itself, answering to bishops of other jurisdictions
Ruthenian Catholic Church[15] (a sui juris metropolia[16], an eparchy[17], and an apostolic exarchate[18]): Uzhhorod, Pittsburgh, (594,465), United States, Ukraine, Czech Republic (1646)
Slovak Greek Catholic Church (metropolia): Prešov, (243,335), Slovak Republic, Canada (1646)
Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church[19] (major archiepiscopate): Kyiv, (4,223,425), Ukraine, Poland, United States, Canada, Great Britain, Australia, Germany and Scandinavia, France, Brazil, Argentina (1595)
Re: Don't Let The Catholic Faith Deter You From The Christian Faith by pilgrim1(f): 8:35pm On Jun 17, 2009
Omenuko:

Lady posted the below a while back. It basically is a list of eastern catholic churches and rites. These churches, along with the Latin/Roman Church, make up the Catholic Church. We do not call them different denominations; we call them different traditions or rites. Basically, the Catholic church consists of sister churches; same faith, same belief, and in communion with the Pope. Hopefully, Lady and others can help define what is meant by the Catholic Church. I'm busy now and will respond later.

I saw the repost, thanks. I'd be looking forward to your answering the request I made and then discuss further. I'll also like you to keep this in mind:

faith69:

Re: Don't Let The Catholic Faith Deter You From The Christian Faith by pilgrim1(f): 8:37pm On Jun 17, 2009
faith69:

@faith69,

I know your quote has appeared several times in my replies - there's a reason why I thus used it to point out something vital to others I was responding to. However, as soon as I have answers to my request, then I'll answer your question about "when roman cathiolicism was formed and by whom". Take care.
Re: Don't Let The Catholic Faith Deter You From The Christian Faith by Chrisbenogor(m): 9:42pm On Jun 17, 2009
This is fun!
pilgrim and lady!
Thats like hulk hogan Vs Ultimate warrior!
ATTA GIRLS! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Don't Let The Catholic Faith Deter You From The Christian Faith by faith69: 8:28am On Jun 19, 2009
pilgrim.1:

@faith69,

I know your quote has appeared several times in my replies - there's a reason why I thus used it to point out something vital to others I was responding to. However, as soon as I have answers to my request, then I'll answer your question about "when roman cathiolicism was formed and by whom". Take care.

I can't wait to hear from you on how and when Roman catholicism was created
Re: Don't Let The Catholic Faith Deter You From The Christian Faith by pilgrim1(f): 10:00am On Jun 19, 2009
faith69:

I can't wait to hear from you on how and when Roman catholicism was created

No worries - I'll oblige as soon as our dear friends help to answer the simple questions I've offered. wink
Re: Don't Let The Catholic Faith Deter You From The Christian Faith by folami86: 5:54pm On Jun 19, 2009
The Catholics didn't write the Bible! However, they were the ones responsible for passing on the good news to future generations. The scriptures already existed prior to the council of Nicea.

Check this out
www.tertullian.org/rpearse/nicaea
Re: Don't Let The Catholic Faith Deter You From The Christian Faith by Horus(m): 6:37pm On Jun 19, 2009
Here is a proof that the Catholic Church supported slavery. Consider the following quotation from the Apostolic Constitution written by His Holiness, Pope Nicholas V, on January 8, 1455 ("Apostolic Constitutions" carry more authority than an "Apostolic Letter", and Ordinatio Sacerdotalis was issued as an Apostolic Letter):

We (therefore) weighing all and singular the premises with due meditation, and noting that since we had formerly by other letters of ours granted among other things free and ample faculty to the aforesaid King Alfonso to invade, search out, capture, vanquish, and subdue all Saracens and pagans whatsoever, and other enemies of Christ wheresoever placed, and the kingdoms, dukedoms, principalities, dominions, possessions, and all movable and immovable goods whatsoever held and possessed by them and to reduce their persons to perpetual slavery,,

The full text can be read at this link: Papal support for slavery http://www.nativeweb.org/pages/legal/indig-romanus-pontifex.html
Re: Don't Let The Catholic Faith Deter You From The Christian Faith by Nobody: 3:01pm On Jun 20, 2009
folami86:

The Catholics didn't write the Bible! However, they were the ones responsible for passing on the good news to future generations. The scriptures already existed prior to the council of Nicea.

Check this out
www.tertullian.org/rpearse/nicaea

Your stupidity is indescribable ,I thought you said catholics were detering pople away from the true faith,how come they are now the ones passing the good news to future generations.Mind you the catholic church was not founded at the council of niceea.

Great defenders of the faith like irenaeus of lyons ,tertullian,ignatius of antioch e.t.c lived long before the reign of emperor constantine and the council of nicea

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

The Historicity Of The Books Of The Bible - Reference: Daniel. / "Re-Electing Buhari Will Perpetuate Suffering" - Bishop Chukwuma / Report From The Burial Of Rev. Fr. Stephen Njoku Of Upper Room Ministries Enugu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 192
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.