Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,901 members, 7,817,665 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:44 PM

The Worst Is Yet To Happen: My Undergraduate Story - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Worst Is Yet To Happen: My Undergraduate Story (1069 Views)

UNILAG: Worst University In Nigeria Based On Moral & Dressing? / What Will Happen If You Boil Egg Inside Oil Instead Of Water? / 18 Pictures That Describe Having The Worst Roommates At University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Worst Is Yet To Happen: My Undergraduate Story by uncleck: 9:39pm On Jan 03, 2016
My story will create mixed feelings in many people. I implore you all the readers to make out your conclusions by yourselves. No long story.

Modified:
Everybody below 70 years should be interested in this story.
Re: The Worst Is Yet To Happen: My Undergraduate Story by Uyi168: 9:43pm On Jan 03, 2016
Re: The Worst Is Yet To Happen: My Undergraduate Story by uncleck: 9:47pm On Jan 03, 2016
Four years ago (2011) I got admission to study edu/political science in a school here in Owerri. I was the second person to get matric number in the whole school of social science because my name appeared on the first (merit) list which had only 18 names (Direct Entry). That was in November 2011; by December I had bought all the textbooks for all the courses and have done all the assignments before traveling for December break.

On January 1 I left home for PH in order to prepare for exams that were scheduled to hold on that January. After some days in PH I returned to school. Around the middle of January my first shocker came; I saw my name on a notice board requesting that I see the admission officer. Without hesitation I went straight to his office only to be told that I had a “pass” in maths in my O’level; that the new policy entails that I can no longer do political science with that result. After considering all the options before me I had to change to History/Int’l studies to spend four years against the three years I should have spent on pol. Sci. that was less than two weeks to the exams. Thank God I did well except for a course I had just 40 (E), at least it wasn’t a carry over.

I was living in the school hostel but certain events made it imperative that I go off camp. After the semester I got a job as assistant sales rep in Punch Newspaper mega station in Owerri. The job required that I leave school very early in the morning and come back very late in the night. In fact throughout that semester I attended no single lecture and knew no single lecturer in the department. All I did was to plant mercenaries that wrote attendants for me. My result that semester was very ok as well because I knew the best way to study.
I did that job till December 2012 then I resigned. During that period I saved money and bought a cupboard and other cooking utensils. I went home and brought a lot of food stuffs and bought the remaining in the market. That January (2013) I went to school, on returning I met another shocker: the cupboard as a whole has been stolen; the only thing I found was the padlock and one small plastic basin; that was all. But the worst was yet to happen.

What actually chased me out of school hostel was when I discovered that 4 out of 6 of us in the room, and extra 2 that were squatting were all cultists. During that period police raided the hostel and everybody in my room was arrested. Thank God I was not around. That first semester ended by March and I went home.

School resumed the following month (April) for second semester but I came back towards the end of June whereas second semester exams was on July. I was at home hustling for money because I knew I was not going back to that hostel again. I was able to pay for accommodation, buy a fairly used laptop and a modem.

Because the semester has been far spent already, I worked and read all nights. Less than two weeks I came back, the worst was to happen. By this time nobody knew I was staying here, even my next door neighbor didn’t know my name.

So that morning I got up from bed by 7:00 a.m. and went straight to the bathroom because I had an important lecture by 8. As usual, I spent less than 3 minutes brushing and bathing. When I came back to the room, behold my laptop, another laptop a student gave me to install some software for him, my two phones, all their chargers, my modem, my wallet and a pair of shoes have disappeared to thin air. I came out and looked around everywhere was calm. I saw only one small boy and I queried him he said he saw a “brother” that came to my house. Asked whether he has seen him before or knew him he said no. How does he look like? He described a figure that doesn’t look like anything resides around here.

In my usual manner I was calm. Went inside, dressed up and left for school. I trekked because my last card; N1500 was in that wallet. The following days, weeks and months were characterized by unprecedented hardship. Thanks to a brother of mine that latter sent me 10k. I thought that was the worst that would happen to me, but I was wrong; the worst was still to happen.
Re: The Worst Is Yet To Happen: My Undergraduate Story by Raplinx(m): 9:48pm On Jan 03, 2016
Followed
Re: The Worst Is Yet To Happen: My Undergraduate Story by uncleck: 10:06pm On Jan 03, 2016
Thanks to a female friend that gave me her old Dell laptop with which I started managing life again. I borrowed a modem from a friend too. Around June 2013, I traveled home. One night a neighbor called me and told me that a fence collapsed so our compound has been covered by flood. Meanwhile almost all my belongings were on the floor including that Dell laptop, TV, radio set etc. first thing in the following morning I traveled down only to discover that the only thing I’m left with are the clothes in the hanger; every other things were gone. I did clean up and went back home the following day.

But the worst was yet to happen.
Re: The Worst Is Yet To Happen: My Undergraduate Story by uncleck: 10:26pm On Jan 03, 2016
First semester year 3 started on October 2013, school vacated for December break on the 20th of December, but strike started on 24th and was to last indefinitely. Knowing the situation of Nigeria I quickly enrolled as an apprentice in computer repair shop by January 2014. Thanks to God, the strike was called off June ending and school resumed early July.

While I made a right decision to enroll in the training, I was shortchanged. As big as the name of our office was, we hardly got jobs, which means we hardly had chance to practice. In the end I succeeded in learning hardware/software maintenance alone without other things like
programming, networking etc.

In the course of that training I bought another laptop. I so much cherished my machine because it was reliable. Now the strike has been called off, we were going to do two sessions from July 2014 to august 2015. But I had no fear because with my laptop and new modem I was sure of my regular income from writing term papers, seminar papers, projects and other online registrations. I was also sure of reading finest materials online.

Fast forward to 2015, another worst was yet to happen. A girl wanted to buy a brand new laptop so I took her to market and made sure she got the best value for her money. Some months later she gave me the laptop to do some installations for her. That was around June 2015.that night I was awake till 1:00 a.m. before I married my foam and kissed my pillow. Less than 1 hour I was woken up by noise. Behold, my room has been submerged in water again. This time around the walls of the gutter collapsed. I quickly reached out for those two laptops-mine and hers. (If I’m doing computer work I normally lie on the bed so the laptops were on the floor). So I left everything and took those laptops to a safe place and dismantled them.

In the morning I did clean up till evening that day. The following day I went to town where I used rework station to try to revive those motherboards but they were both dead and gone forever, thus bringing it to five lost laptops within three years. However, the worst was yet to occur.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Worst Is Yet To Happen: My Undergraduate Story by uncleck: 10:37pm On Jan 03, 2016
I now decided to go for tablets. So I got Innjoo F2 for 22k and the pouch for 2k making it 24k. After that second flood I learnt to keep everything up. So that fateful night on November 2015, I went to bed around 12:00 a.m. and power was restored few minutes later so I managed to get up and plugged the tablet; placed it on top of a speaker and went back to bed without closing the window and putting off the light. I woke up in the morning to discover that somebody has torn my net with razor and collected the tablet; I realized for the first time how close the speaker was to the window. But the worst was yet to happen.

Within the same week I borrowed a laptop from a friend. I was outside that beautiful Saturday morning and girl (a neighbor) asked to take sachet water from my room, I granted the request only to hear her scream few seconds later. She stepped on the laptop and the screen shattered. Hmm!!! But the worst was yet to happen.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: The Worst Is Yet To Happen: My Undergraduate Story by uncleck: 10:50pm On Jan 03, 2016
I hardly allow circumstances beyond my control to weigh me down; but this time around I seemed hopeless and my spirit was shattered. Few months ago when I was doing my project research I discovered that History has been completely removed from secondary school curriculum, so what are my career chances as a historian and educationist? Did I tell you I did NCE in Economics/Political Science? (I was a motorcyclist during that period but bought an old desktop during my NCE3 even without any form of computer training.)

My discovery about my course and all these disasters that faced me made me become emotionally down for the first time in a very long while. Thanks to my sweet, understanding girl friend.

Now I have decided to say goodbye to everything called electronic gadgets; I decided to find a new source of income. I was able to mop up 120k and bought a used keke (tricycle) around 23rd of December, 2015 (a good way of ending the year). However, the worst has just happened (a bad way of starting a new year).

To be continued…
Re: The Worst Is Yet To Happen: My Undergraduate Story by Nobody: 12:23am On Jan 04, 2016
wow...i dont think i can survive this much ill luck..bro you dey try sha..respect...*patiently waiting for the continuation*
Re: The Worst Is Yet To Happen: My Undergraduate Story by uncleck: 6:54am On Jan 04, 2016
TheBatman:
wow...i dont think i can survive this much ill luck..bro you dey try sha..respect...*patiently waiting for the continuation*
Wasn't easy though, but I have learnt over time that the best way to manage circumstances around you is, first of all, manage your disposition. If your mind and spirit is always calm; then happiness will always locate you and you will hardly give up.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Worst Is Yet To Happen: My Undergraduate Story by Dammytrager(m): 7:03am On Jan 04, 2016
Wow!!!...if this story is actually real then, I'd advice you change your environment
Re: The Worst Is Yet To Happen: My Undergraduate Story by uncleck: 7:32am On Jan 04, 2016
Dammytrager:
Wow!!!...if this story is actually real then, I'd advice you change your environment
that is true. But you must have savings before you can do that. When problems makes savings impossible then...
Re: The Worst Is Yet To Happen: My Undergraduate Story by wizzyrainy(m): 8:31am On Jan 04, 2016
Oga u too careless abeg, n wot of those pple's laptops? Don't u pay dem back or they jst forget it
Re: The Worst Is Yet To Happen: My Undergraduate Story by gutsygareth(f): 2:39pm On Jan 28, 2016
wizzyrainy:
Oga u too careless abeg, n wot of those pple's laptops? Don't u pay dem back or they jst forget it
Everyone may not see things the way you see it tho.

(1) (Reply)

Notice About Missing Item. Lol. Funny. / 12 Things Top Students Do That Help Them Stay On Top / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.