Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,849 members, 7,817,517 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:36 PM

Fear Of Job Losses As FX Scarcity Persists, Oil Prices Crash Further - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Fear Of Job Losses As FX Scarcity Persists, Oil Prices Crash Further (20605 Views)

Capital Oil Workers Fear Job Losses / Maritime Sector Records 6,000 Job Losses / Bankers, Others Take Insurance Cover Against Job Losses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fear Of Job Losses As FX Scarcity Persists, Oil Prices Crash Further by PLANETMARS(m): 10:44am On Jan 04, 2016
M
Re: Fear Of Job Losses As FX Scarcity Persists, Oil Prices Crash Further by femimike1(m): 10:44am On Jan 04, 2016
Hmmmm
Re: Fear Of Job Losses As FX Scarcity Persists, Oil Prices Crash Further by Lobolintin(m): 10:48am On Jan 04, 2016
jayloms:
I expect a further cut on the expenditures of the presidency and the NASS.

State govts should be working with a 'worst case scenario' mentality. They don't need to be told to beef up IGR within their various states.

FG must of necessity speed up the diversification process. Agriculture is the way to go here. I really don't know why we import rice still; is our locally grown rice that bad in taste?

All these economic hardships we face at the present, clearly shows that we never envisaged a time like this. I certainly hope Nigeria does not belong to the comity of nations with NFA (no future ambitions)

Spoke my mind....there was a country
Re: Fear Of Job Losses As FX Scarcity Persists, Oil Prices Crash Further by CSTR2: 10:49am On Jan 04, 2016
EternalTruths:
Oil is not the only revenue we can trade for dollar

Buhari should entrench Fiscal federalism in order to encourage the states to exploit their resources to increase the inflow of dollars. cool
There is a greater chance of you going to jupiter, than buhari implementing fiscal federalism.
C'mon, his people that voted for him would have none of that. They see it as anti-north.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fear Of Job Losses As FX Scarcity Persists, Oil Prices Crash Further by hmuhammad(m): 10:52am On Jan 04, 2016
modath:

Still won't solve the nation's problem...like band aid on a festering gangrene sore!!

Mono export economy fa!!

The only way to solve Nigeria's problem is to have the capacity to produce What we need, start exporting some & stop depending on imports...
we shall overcome by His grace
Re: Fear Of Job Losses As FX Scarcity Persists, Oil Prices Crash Further by manutdadex(m): 10:52am On Jan 04, 2016
PassingShot:
We shall overcome.

Oil is projected to stabilize at $45 to $50 in 2016, so there won't be much additional pressure on budget deficit.

Serious diversification of the economy towards agriculture and mining is the only permanent solution to the perrenial problems we have.
projected? People like one make i vormit

1 Like

Re: Fear Of Job Losses As FX Scarcity Persists, Oil Prices Crash Further by surrogatesng: 10:54am On Jan 04, 2016
Things will still get. better
Re: Fear Of Job Losses As FX Scarcity Persists, Oil Prices Crash Further by 2goodbobo(m): 10:54am On Jan 04, 2016
Imagine the money Nigeria can generate from Churches and Mosques if they are meant to be paying tax.

Just thinking out loud! Is high time to look for other sources of revenue instead of concentrating on Oil.

1 Like

Re: Fear Of Job Losses As FX Scarcity Persists, Oil Prices Crash Further by Bigdreams(m): 10:54am On Jan 04, 2016
We will wade through it.

Grab this FREE REPORT - How To Start Bulk SMS Business Successfully and Make Money Constantly
Go to www.targetedsms247.com/freereport
Re: Fear Of Job Losses As FX Scarcity Persists, Oil Prices Crash Further by emmygzy(m): 10:54am On Jan 04, 2016
PassingShot:

Experts analysis. Not mine.
which expert? Lai Mohammed? Did you heard what IMF said? They when Iran begins their own exportation, that oil might come down to 20usd per barrel.
Re: Fear Of Job Losses As FX Scarcity Persists, Oil Prices Crash Further by hustla(m): 10:59am On Jan 04, 2016
joseph1832:
Em can someone kindly tell me how the crash of oil price will affect that danfo driver or that woman selling tomotoes in oshodi market or even that mechanic or that agbero collecting owo load ati owo booking in bus stops?

By the time you start paying 1,000 naira for where u used to enter 100 naira because naira has become useless like Zimbabwes $ , you will understand
Even Agbero no go collect 100 naira again for owo load
Tomatoes go turn 2k naira per Kilo
Re: Fear Of Job Losses As FX Scarcity Persists, Oil Prices Crash Further by holllandis: 10:59am On Jan 04, 2016
lielbree:
May only those who voted for this scam called change be affected by the economic hardship Nigeria is about to face!
It's their fault.

Amen
Re: Fear Of Job Losses As FX Scarcity Persists, Oil Prices Crash Further by hustla(m): 11:00am On Jan 04, 2016
emmygzy:
which expert? Lai Mohammed? Did you heard what IMF said? They when Iran begins their own exportation, that oil might come down to 20usd per barrel.

I want it to come down to $5 per barrel sef
Let the oil become virtually useless so we can face other means of making money, tourism, mining and agriculture
Re: Fear Of Job Losses As FX Scarcity Persists, Oil Prices Crash Further by Oildichotomy(m): 11:00am On Jan 04, 2016
EternalTruths:
Oil is not the only revenue we can trade for dollar

Buhari should entrench Fiscal federalism in order to encourage the states to exploit their resources to increase the inflow of dollars. cool
Bubu cannot try that ooo unless you want the north to go bankrupt. Even his state Katsina will be famine-ladened

1 Like

Re: Fear Of Job Losses As FX Scarcity Persists, Oil Prices Crash Further by TheAlchemist: 11:00am On Jan 04, 2016
More good workers will be sacked... while the bad eggs aka connection pikin will be retained.
Re: Fear Of Job Losses As FX Scarcity Persists, Oil Prices Crash Further by PassingShot(m): 11:03am On Jan 04, 2016
emmygzy:
Don't confine yourself to only what you read in Nairaland. Expand your horizon.
Re: Fear Of Job Losses As FX Scarcity Persists, Oil Prices Crash Further by OZAOEKPE(f): 11:06am On Jan 04, 2016
PassingShot:
We shall overcome.

Oil is projected to stabilize at $45 to $50 in 2016, so there won't be much additional pressure on budget deficit.

Serious diversification of the economy towards agriculture and mining is the only permanent solution to the perrenial problems we have.
LET US SEE HOW IT WILL RISE?
Re: Fear Of Job Losses As FX Scarcity Persists, Oil Prices Crash Further by PassingShot(m): 11:06am On Jan 04, 2016
manutdadex:
projected? People like one make i vormit
Olodo, when last did you watch CNN, BBC or Aljazeera? When last did you read Yahoo News, MSN, or even The Economist for analysis on the crude price?
Re: Fear Of Job Losses As FX Scarcity Persists, Oil Prices Crash Further by ColeworldMD(m): 11:07am On Jan 04, 2016
nnachukz:
Everything about this Government is a scam. The minister of finance seems to be inexperience, why should the government peg the benchmark at $38 pb? We are already running into deficit should the budget be passed without amendment.
I was really optimistic about her but it's now obvious that the task is beyond her. To think that Russia was using benchmark of $60/b when oil prices were about $100/b and Nigeria is using $38/b when it was about $47/b and on the decline. Cluelessness at it's peak. And why do we have problems with wages when there has been significant increase in the budget from 4trn to 6trn What does Nigerian govt takes it's citizens for The senators have bogus allowances and salaries while all these is going on & the governors complaining barely have any projects on their agenda. Smh

3 Likes

Re: Fear Of Job Losses As FX Scarcity Persists, Oil Prices Crash Further by Nobody: 11:11am On Jan 04, 2016
joseph1832:
Em can someone kindly tell me how the crash of oil price will affect that danfo driver or that woman selling tomotoes in oshodi market or even that mechanic or that agbero collecting owo load ati owo booking in bus stops?

1.Job losses brought about by the fall in oil prices....ie government agencies no longer have much money to spend, meaning things like contracts would be restricted....means that the average worker who patronises the danfo driver and tomato seller and mechanic would have less money to spend....meaning things become tighter for them

2.Fall in oil prices means that government's pocket becomes leaner. And that means state govt pockets become leaner, meaning the worker's pocket both in public and private companies (I work in the private sector and have seen a fall in my salary)....meaning Danfo driver, tomatoe seller etc become poorer...because people ain't spending money.

3.Lack of forex means that there would be difficulty importing items...because no forex.(And forex is dropping, because the CBN, in order to prevent the naira from being devalued....which you Nigerians do not like....is hoarding dollars.). For mechanic....difficulty in getting good spare parts since .....you guessed it....most spares are imported. And prices go up too....driving people away from the mechanic....except when necessary. Mechanic income falls. Also, as most loads in the park are imported, fall in imports means less goods to carry at the park....agbero loses money too.

4.As the subsidy goes, prices may rise up.(Caveat....it may not rise by much because the oil price has fallen too....but YMMV on that).Transport fares go up....meaning that less people patronise motor park....less kudi for danfo and agbero.It also affects the cost of the tomato seller's transporting the tomato from rural areas....as transport price rises up....leading her to either raise prices of the tomato she sells....or sell at a loss.

5.People are going to save more....good news for the banks,bad news for danfo,mechanic, tomato seller,etc....less disposable income= less income for them.

1 Like

Re: Fear Of Job Losses As FX Scarcity Persists, Oil Prices Crash Further by chernest2002: 11:11am On Jan 04, 2016
Unfortunately there is no miracle in governance let bubu's look for experts
Re: Fear Of Job Losses As FX Scarcity Persists, Oil Prices Crash Further by Nobody: 11:14am On Jan 04, 2016
PassingShot:

Olodo, when last did you watch CNN, BBC or Aljazeera? When last did you read Yahoo News, MSN, or even The Economist for analysis on the crude price?

I read your comment on oil price....especially the prediction for stability by 2017....which I am aware of.

But....and this is a big but....my problem with such analysis is that more and more countries are discovering oil. Add the fact that America is becoming self sufficient in oil....and you see that the prospect of oil prices rising again is a dim prospect.

If I was a prophet....I would be prophesying oil to stay below $40 per barrel for the next ten years. Maybe longer. And OPEC would become irrelevant.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fear Of Job Losses As FX Scarcity Persists, Oil Prices Crash Further by Aurelius1(m): 11:17am On Jan 04, 2016
lielbree:
May only those who voted for this scam called change be affected by the economic hardship Nigeria is about to face!
It's their fault.
So its Buhari's fault that that the price of oil has fallen so low? Guy, I pray for you to receive sense.

1 Like

Re: Fear Of Job Losses As FX Scarcity Persists, Oil Prices Crash Further by Nobody: 11:19am On Jan 04, 2016
nnachukz:
Everything about this Government is a scam. The minister of finance seems to be inexperience, why should the government peg the benchmark at $38 pb? We are already running into deficit should the budget be passed without amendment.

Well, regardless of how the government pegs it, the fact remains that oil prices are dropping....and that pretty soon we would run a deficit. (That is one of the vagaries of being a resource dependent economy.).

Already Saudi Arabia...which saved lots of money, has spent $120bn of its external crude reserves in one year.

Nigeria at any rate....even if we saved during GEJ's regime....would still have problems.

Whatever way you look at it....resource dependent countries always end up running deficit budgets once the price of the resource they are selling goes down.Even when you have saved a bunch.

3 Likes

Re: Fear Of Job Losses As FX Scarcity Persists, Oil Prices Crash Further by Shakur86(m): 11:21am On Jan 04, 2016
That is why there is need for diversification. Overdepence in crude oil is a great impediment to our economy. I pray this country shall be great again.
Re: Fear Of Job Losses As FX Scarcity Persists, Oil Prices Crash Further by whitebone(m): 11:22am On Jan 04, 2016
This is a blessing in disguise! Cos if crude oil never become $1 per barrel naija no go learn .

Now wey we don learn, its high time we started to mine every natural resources in every state and stop depending on just one natural resources in one state, why would the whole of 36 states depend on just one natural resource from NigerDelta and leave there own state resources un mined? How would such country develop or become wealthy?

Let there be diversification, let every state begin to mine there own resources and begin to trade also on the world market. I can assure you in the space of ten years 1naira will be equal to 1pound not even one dollar. This will also create jobs.

Its as simple as that. grin

1 Like

Re: Fear Of Job Losses As FX Scarcity Persists, Oil Prices Crash Further by mark3009(m): 11:22am On Jan 04, 2016
jayloms:
I expect a further cut on the expenditures of the presidency and the NASS.

State govts should be working with a 'worst case scenario' mentality. They don't need to be told to beef up IGR within their various states.

FG must of necessity speed up the diversification process. Agriculture is the way to go here. I really don't know why we import rice still; is our locally grown rice that bad in taste?

All these economic hardships we face at the present, clearly shows that we never envisaged a time like this. I certainly hope Nigeria does not belong to the comity of nations with NFA (no future ambitions)
How do you beef up igr when most of the workers are going to be laid off and the few the companies in existence are struggling to survive? Where is the igr coming from?
Re: Fear Of Job Losses As FX Scarcity Persists, Oil Prices Crash Further by Myself2(m): 11:22am On Jan 04, 2016
PassingShot:

Tufiakwa
God forbid
May oil NEVER stabilize at anything more than $26 per barrel for year 2016

PassingShot:
We shall overcome.

Now you're talking
Re: Fear Of Job Losses As FX Scarcity Persists, Oil Prices Crash Further by Psalm18: 11:22am On Jan 04, 2016
Kikero112:

Well, regardless of how the government pegs it, the fact remains that oil prices are dropping....and that pretty soon we would run a deficit. (That is one of the vagaries of being a resource dependent economy.).

Already Saudi Arabia...which saved lots of money, has spent $120bn of its external crude reserves in one year.

Nigeria at any rate....even if we saved during GEJ's regime....would still have problems.

Whatever way you look at it....resource dependent countries always end up running deficit budgets once the price of the resource they are selling goes down.Even when you have saved a bunch.

Quite true. It's why its imperative that when the cycle of boom is upon us - we as nation should have invested wisely and build up new areas of revenue. But ALL the leaders,ALL of them acted like drunken sailor- stealing and stealing money
Re: Fear Of Job Losses As FX Scarcity Persists, Oil Prices Crash Further by joseph1832(m): 11:23am On Jan 04, 2016
hustla:

By the time you start paying 1,000 naira for where u used to enter 100 naira because naira has become useless like Zimbabwes $ , you will understand
Even Agbero no go collect 100 naira again for owo load
Tomatoes go turn 2k naira per Kilo
Lemme borrow Eedris Abdulkarem's words "Agege to Ikeja, na 100 Naira" bros Agege to Ikeja no be 100 Naira again. So be be today yansh dey back.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

10 Ways To Calm Your Nerves Before You Make A Presentation / Nigerian Female Lawyers Should Be Allowed To Wear Trousers In Court / The Pharmacist VS The Medical Doctor.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.