Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,294 members, 7,818,992 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:41 AM

Why Was Major-gen. Mamman Vatsa Killed? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Was Major-gen. Mamman Vatsa Killed? (32623 Views)

Babangida, Abdulsalami Abubakar, Mamman Vatsa In Secondary School Bida.Throwback / Throwback: Babangida And Mamman Vatsa In Okigwe, Imo State / Ibrahim Babangida As Mamman Vatsa's Bestman (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Was Major-gen. Mamman Vatsa Killed? by tsephanyah(f): 10:59am On May 12, 2016
Em maybee, bcoz he supported buhari coup against shagari rather than ibb during governing council vote.
Re: Why Was Major-gen. Mamman Vatsa Killed? by AustineE1: 11:03am On May 12, 2016
Mamman Vasta was killed because of envy,history has it that he out shined IBB in every facet of life,while in elementary school he was a better student than IBB,he was brighter in the military academy and shone in flying colours.
All the while,there was hidden animosity nutured by IBB and being maverick in nature,he had anticipated a Mamman Vasta wld come after him,if he derails in governance,so the best and only option,was extermination.
Though IBB once said that killing of Mamman Vasta was a great mistake he will forever live to regret.

Dont forget that IBB was said to be a student of Machiavelli and read the 'prince of power',while as a president. Hence the golden rule 'every leader must plan a semblance of adversity against himself,so when he overcomes it,his image is enhanced'. Thus,stage manage a coup,kill your antagonists and a send a message to intending mutineers that you are super powerful.
Welcome into the world of military intrigues and power struggle!

2 Likes

Re: Why Was Major-gen. Mamman Vatsa Killed? by Leez(m): 11:04am On May 12, 2016
AbuMikey:
Why was Major-Gen Mamman. Vatsa killed by IBB?

Was He actually Planning a coup?

Was it because He openely condemed the failed Dimka led coup, and so got a Few enemies?

Did He Actually report to Buhari before Traveling to Mecca for Pilgrimage about an impending IBB led Coup, as He was being accused of?

Was it because a Civilian tagged Him "Nigeria's next President" in an aired event?

Why should a Man who had never Participated in any Coup be treated that badly on just mere allegations?

Why was He sentenced to death on the charge of "Conspiracy to Commit Treason", when in Prior cases like that of Chief Awolowo in 1962/63 and Bukar Madara in 1982, attracted a punishment of long Prison sentence?

detest ibb all you want but a coup was being planned
contrary to popular belief most soldiers were tired of politics and wanted to return to the barracks
then the way buhari was overthrown and his property looted angered a lot of men
and promotions being done by bootlicking infact you can say dis coup plot laid d foundation for orkar coup
now about vatsa well i feel(personally)he was part of a plot he knew little about
dis coup also led to d defanging of our airforce

1 Like

Re: Why Was Major-gen. Mamman Vatsa Killed? by amazingspiderma: 11:06am On May 12, 2016
Honestly, I am just here to read comments.

I don't even know this name. Nigeria has a lot of undocumented history. We are a nation that cannot tell our own story.
This is why we still recycle a lot of corrupt people in our current politics.

for example...............
Re: Why Was Major-gen. Mamman Vatsa Killed? by Whizzdom(m): 11:09am On May 12, 2016
Ok
Re: Why Was Major-gen. Mamman Vatsa Killed? by aycorporat(m): 11:10am On May 12, 2016
Though I was a small boy back then who could not understand events of things, I am glad that I will like to know why he was killed as I will follow up this thread religiously
Re: Why Was Major-gen. Mamman Vatsa Killed? by BuddhaPalm(m): 11:13am On May 12, 2016
amazingspiderma:
Honestly, I am just here to read comments.

I don't even know this name. Nigeria has a lot of undocumented history. We are a nation that cannot tell our own story.
This is why we still recycle a lot of corrupt people in our current politics.

for example...............

Hehe, you want children to be taught their grandfathers murdered each other while they slept.

We have a very shitty history, thus far.

2 Likes

Re: Why Was Major-gen. Mamman Vatsa Killed? by macaranta(m): 11:19am On May 12, 2016
Okay o..ibb over to you.
Re: Why Was Major-gen. Mamman Vatsa Killed? by Histrings08(m): 11:22am On May 12, 2016
amaben2020:
Mamman Vatsa was a classmate of IBB which automatically made him the next in line systematically to IBB. He tendered his resignation letter to IBB but IBB refused to approve it on the ground that they are best friends. Unknown to Vatsa, the Maradonna was plotting something beyond reasonable doubt. IBB made him FCT minister which was not so powerful at that time but was still scared of Vatsa (Everyone loved Vatsa). IBB was a paranoid man who could eliminate the slightest threat he got from anyone including journalists (Dele Giwa). I'm at the office, to be continued..........
waiting for u bro
Re: Why Was Major-gen. Mamman Vatsa Killed? by LaExpert: 11:32am On May 12, 2016
Only God can forgive IBB for the harm and atrocities done to Nigeria by him.

1 Like

Re: Why Was Major-gen. Mamman Vatsa Killed? by Charly68: 11:34am On May 12, 2016
amaben2020:
Mamman Vatsa was a classmate of IBB which automatically made him the next in line systematically to IBB. He tendered his resignation letter to IBB but IBB refused to approve it on the ground that they are best friends. Unknown to Vatsa, the Maradonna was plotting something beyond reasonable doubt. IBB made him FCT minister which was not so powerful at that time but was still scared of Vatsa (Everyone loved Vatsa). IBB was a paranoid man who could eliminate the slightest threat he got from anyone including journalists (Dele Giwa). I'm at the office, to be continued..........
The evil genus himself! He wasted some of our best brains in the nation. Very cruel & highly unforgiven. Upon all that,he could not sustain his plan to perpetuate himself in power till death. Kudos to Nigerian elites who formed brainwork coalitions to frustrate his longstanding plan .
Re: Why Was Major-gen. Mamman Vatsa Killed? by Mbediogu(m): 11:35am On May 12, 2016
MysticZeus:
Haha...

Most NLders don't know who q Vatsa i before dying s or what? shocked

He was the Galadima of Minna Calipha1te who became the Emir of Katagun before dying in the unfortunate plane crash of June twelve. He was a good Crusader and Jihadist leader.
Re: Why Was Major-gen. Mamman Vatsa Killed? by tsephanyah(f): 11:35am On May 12, 2016
D Q shld b hw many people IBB killed, aba women riot, how many people ar crying for justice in their grave. IBB d hitler of naija.
Re: Why Was Major-gen. Mamman Vatsa Killed? by AbuMikey(m): 11:41am On May 12, 2016
amaben2020:

I would really like to get more enlightened on this.
Re: Why Was Major-gen. Mamman Vatsa Killed? by AbuMikey(m): 11:42am On May 12, 2016
francisbiz:
OP, you are are an incurrable wailing-Zombie, for posting that. 'Snail wey de die inside fire de tink say een saliva de quench the fire'!

Oga, Respect yourself!

1 Like

Re: Why Was Major-gen. Mamman Vatsa Killed? by AbuMikey(m): 11:44am On May 12, 2016
tsephanyah:
Em maybee, bcoz he supported buhari coup against shagari rather than ibb during governing council vote.

shocked

Another Version!
Re: Why Was Major-gen. Mamman Vatsa Killed? by AbuMikey(m): 11:47am On May 12, 2016
Mbediogu:

He was the Galadima of Minna Calipha1te who became the Emir of Katagun before dying in the unfortunate plane crash of June twelve. He was a good Crusader and Jihadist leader.

Re: Why Was Major-gen. Mamman Vatsa Killed? by odimbannamdi(m): 11:47am On May 12, 2016
Mamman Vatsa was a great military ruler renowned for his writing prowess and wearing of gold chain watches.

His execution was pioneered by his childhood friend and army course mate based on an unconfirmed coup indictment.

Keep on resting General.
Re: Why Was Major-gen. Mamman Vatsa Killed? by odimbannamdi(m): 11:49am On May 12, 2016
Re: Why Was Major-gen. Mamman Vatsa Killed? by Lucky77: 12:01pm On May 12, 2016
AbuMikey:

H A L L U C I N A T I O N !!!
Re: Why Was Major-gen. Mamman Vatsa Killed? by mbjsuki(m): 12:02pm On May 12, 2016
The truth you're looking for may never be found. It will keep eluding you and I.
The likes of Babaginda are in the best position to answer this moral question.
But of course this is Nigeria. Where political thieves and vultures are celebrated and common thieves are stoned to death.
Look at the Senate, our so called chosen representatives....its a shame.
This is another episode of "Fuji House of Commotion!"
Re: Why Was Major-gen. Mamman Vatsa Killed? by Nobody: 12:04pm On May 12, 2016
amaben2020:
Patiently waiting
Re: Why Was Major-gen. Mamman Vatsa Killed? by amaben2020(m): 12:09pm On May 12, 2016
Histrings08:
waiting for u bro

“it was a military law which could not be amended. We all got caught up
in the coup Decree of 1976 which gave no room for an alternative but
only death through public execution. If I tell you that it was not
traumatizing, I must be lying and I pray I will never find myself in
such a situation again.”

IBB used decree d'coup 1976 to haunt any interesting army officers that could overthrow him. Although a coup was about to be carried out, it was clear that the culprit was Brigadier General Iliya Bisalla and Vatsa was innocent even when questioned by the court martial screening committee. Commodore Ukiwe told Babagida that "Vatsa is innocent, executing him would be same as assassination ". Maradonna told him to go to his office and continue his work. to be continued.....

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Was Major-gen. Mamman Vatsa Killed? by Larryfest(m): 12:18pm On May 12, 2016
Guy sometins in dis country just dnt av a definitive ansa eg what was d real reason behind d first coup?why ws june 12 annulled?who killed abacha?why did ibb step down?why did we vote change which is now bitting us in d butt? U see dis tins just hapnd and i tink its only d perpetrators who can give u a clue as to wat hapnd
Re: Why Was Major-gen. Mamman Vatsa Killed? by Proffdada: 12:18pm On May 12, 2016
It's simple love triangle between IBB, Maryam and Vatsa lipsrsealed
Re: Why Was Major-gen. Mamman Vatsa Killed? by Ibyno(m): 12:22pm On May 12, 2016
IBB WAS THE MAN BEST MAN IN HIS WEDDING, HE SIGN THE MARRIAGE RITE OF VATSA, AND HE IS THE ONE THAT STILL SIGN HIS DEATH WARRANT, SUCH AN IRONY OF LIFE.
Re: Why Was Major-gen. Mamman Vatsa Killed? by stubbornman(m): 12:30pm On May 12, 2016
amaben2020:

“it was a military law which could not be amended. We all got caught up
in the coup Decree of 1976 which gave no room for an alternative but
only death through public execution. If I tell you that it was not
traumatizing, I must be lying and I pray I will never find myself in
such a situation again.”

IBB used decree d'coup 1976 to haunt any interesting army officers that could overthrow him. Although a coup was about to be carried out, it was clear that the culprit was Brigadier General Iliya Bisalla and Vatsa was innocent even when questioned by the court martial screening committee. Commodore Ukiwe told Babagida that "Vatsa is innocent, executing him would be same as assassination ". Maradonna told him to go to his office and continue his work. to be continued.....
Oga I go vex for you oh complete this story nah embarassed
Re: Why Was Major-gen. Mamman Vatsa Killed? by amaben2020(m): 12:52pm On May 12, 2016
stubbornman:

Oga I go vex for you oh complete this story nah embarassed

WHY WERE VATSA AND THE OTHERS SHOT?
In his landmark contribution to Nigerian military literature, titled "The
Federal Republic of Nigeria Army", a former Army Chief, Major General MC Alli, wrote: "The soldier poet and poultry farmer, the peoples' General Mamman Vatsa, a minority of Nupe extraction from Niger State of Nigeria, allegedly masterminded the coup of 1986. It falls into the same category with General Babangida's coup [against Buhari]. It was motivated by an initial resentment immediately after the overthrow of General Buhari. It cannot entirely be divorced from the incipient rivalry that lay latent between Generals Vatsa and Babangida, both from Niger State and of a common alma mater...No major tribe of regional group of political import can be identified. Its conspirators comprised a motley of minorities of diverse background with a rallying point clubbed around General Vatsa's charisma. Curbed in the embryo and tried in secrecy, their subsequent execution left understandable incredulity and doubt in the nobility of the regime it sought to overthrow.
....It failed because a mole compromised it. The conspirators did not fall
within the mainstream of the Army's stock of professional coup
merchants and artisans. Furthermore the regime of General Babangida
had consolidated its tentacles on the network of national power through
generous patronage and populist posturing. This explains his audacity in
executing General Vatsa, notwithstanding national and international
appeals for reprieve. General Babangida told me he was personally
grieved by the insinuation that he executed the plotters because they
were largely Christians. The pressure to execute them arose from the
Plateau officers' axis. Their officers had been victims of the same
military tradition and laws..[i.e. during the Dimka coup of 1976]."
However, Babangida himself has gone on to make additional comments
clarifying why they were shot.

The story long bro, there was intense rivalry after IBB was chosen over him to succeed Buhari
Re: Why Was Major-gen. Mamman Vatsa Killed? by stubbornman(m): 12:58pm On May 12, 2016
amaben2020:

WHY WERE VATSA AND THE OTHERS SHOT?
In his landmark contribution to Nigerian military literature, titled "The
Federal Republic of Nigeria Army", a former Army Chief, Major General MC Alli, wrote: "The soldier poet and poultry farmer, the peoples' General Mamman Vatsa, a minority of Nupe extraction from Niger State of Nigeria, allegedly masterminded the coup of 1986. It falls into the same category with General Babangida's coup [against Buhari]. It was motivated by an initial resentment immediately after the overthrow of General Buhari. It cannot entirely be divorced from the incipient rivalry that lay latent between Generals Vatsa and Babangida, both from Niger State and of a common alma mater...No major tribe of regional group of political import can be identified. Its conspirators comprised a motley of minorities of diverse background with a rallying point clubbed around General Vatsa's charisma. Curbed in the embryo and tried in secrecy, their subsequent execution left understandable incredulity and doubt in the nobility of the regime it sought to overthrow.
....It failed because a mole compromised it. The conspirators did not fall
within the mainstream of the Army's stock of professional coup
merchants and artisans. Furthermore the regime of General Babangida
had consolidated its tentacles on the network of national power through
generous patronage and populist posturing. This explains his audacity in
executing General Vatsa, notwithstanding national and international
appeals for reprieve. General Babangida told me he was personally
grieved by the insinuation that he executed the plotters because they
were largely Christians. The pressure to execute them arose from the
Plateau officers' axis. Their officers had been victims of the same
military tradition and laws..[i.e. during the Dimka coup of 1976]."
However, Babangida himself has gone on to make additional comments
clarifying why they were shot.

The story long bro, there was intense rivalry after IBB was chosen over him to succeed Buhari
thanks man
Re: Why Was Major-gen. Mamman Vatsa Killed? by Bishops10(m): 1:04pm On May 12, 2016
gidgiddy:
IBB was Vatsas childhood friend and classmate. The both joined the Nigerian Army on the same day. IBB was also Vatsas Best man at Vatsas wedding.

IBB once said in interview that he had no regrets executing Vatsa because even if he had commuted Vatsa to life imprisonment, Vatsa would still have been planning a coup from jail. Another thing was that IBB gave Vatsa ample opportunity to desist from coup plotting. IBB openly confronted Vatsa on the rumours that he was planning a coup, Vatsa denied it.

When Vatsa was about to be executed, the last thing he did was to take off his watch and asked that it should be given to his wife.
Why did he give the watch to his wife?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Herdsmen Turn National Stadium , Abuja To Grazing Reserve / Shettima Visits Scene Of Bomb Blast At University Of Maiduguri (Photos) / IPOB Sit-At-Home In Anambra: Catholic Priest, Sales Rep, NDLEA Operatives Injure

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.