Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,521 members, 7,826,956 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 12:48 AM

How To Prepare Fonio Grain (hungry Rice) Aka ACHA To Order 0.8.0.6.6.6.4.6.8.6.8 - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How To Prepare Fonio Grain (hungry Rice) Aka ACHA To Order 0.8.0.6.6.6.4.6.8.6.8 (11004 Views)

Fonio (acha) Recipes. To Order, Call 080 666 46 868 / Health Benefits Of Fonio/hungry Rice - Acha. Order 0.8.0.6.66-46-868. / Health Benefits Of Passion Fruit Grown In Benue State 0.8.0.6.5.3.8.7.8.1.9 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Prepare Fonio Grain (hungry Rice) Aka ACHA To Order 0.8.0.6.6.6.4.6.8.6.8 by lizdammy: 9:52am On Aug 27, 2020
Acha is highly recommended for the diabetic.

I appreciate y'all for the loyalty.

Thanks for the patronage. Keep calling Dammylove on o7o87787676
Re: How To Prepare Fonio Grain (hungry Rice) Aka ACHA To Order 0.8.0.6.6.6.4.6.8.6.8 by lizdammy: 2:16pm On Sep 04, 2020
Acha is bae.
Re: How To Prepare Fonio Grain (hungry Rice) Aka ACHA To Order 0.8.0.6.6.6.4.6.8.6.8 by lizdammy: 7:57am On Feb 23, 2021
wakes:
Fonio, quinoa – what’s next?!

Quinoa, unknown to many just five years ago, is a grain many American families now consider a weekly staple. But the cost of our food fads can impact the very farmers that bring us those crops. Spikes in demand run up prices for grains like quinoa and corn and the result is that farmers can’t afford to buy their own crops to feed their families. (frowning)

And then along comes fonio: “The most nutritious grain you’ve never heard of“.

Not only is that phrase true, it’s the name of a short documentary by GLP films and National Geographic (which you can watch below). They dive into the story of an unknown grain from West Africa that is one of the healthiest, easiest to grow and drought-resistant crops out there.

As it turns out, I ate fonio (pronounced phone-yo), unknowingly when I visited West Africa in 2003. I didn’t know what grain I was eating, but it was a staple at every single meal.

Fonio is amazing because it’s:

Drought-resistant, making it easier to grow in climates facing increased water scarcity
Incredible healthy, having properties to help combat diabetes and obesity
Gluten-free
Rich in minerals like magnesium, zinc and manganese
Doesn’t require the use of pesticides or fertilizers (!!)
High in amino acids
Been around for over 5,000 years (that’s how long yoga has been around to give you some perspective)
Aids in fighting malnutrition of women and children
Low on the glycemic index
More resilient than modern day crops
Prepping fonio is labor intensive and creates jobs in West Africa
And… it grows in poor soil
fonio_the_new_quinoa
Fonio farming family in northern Mali
In Mali mythology fonio is called “the seed of the universe” and after learning about it, I’d have to agree.

The documentary “The most nutritious grain you’ve never heard of” interviews Dr. Salimata Wade, Professor of Physiology and Human Nutrition at University of Dakar. She states that fonio is a key to help combat world hunger, the crop can be planted and grown several times in one year and it’s organic in production which is “what people want these days”.

How do you buy fair trade fonio?

Thanks to the team at GLP films, they pointed to the only fair trade fonio company called Ethiquitable where farmers are getting paid well for their hard work.

The good news is you can buy fonio in most African marketplaces and some speciality shops.

How do you prepare fonio?

Fonio is a type of millet and according to the Guardian it’s,

a cross between couscous and quinoa, in both appearance and texture” with a nutty flavor.

To cook fonio [/b]you simply put 1 part fonio to 3 parts water. I would use a rice cooker like I do for all my grains, but if you make it on the stovetop, bring it to a boil, then let simmer until fluffy and soft. For a fancier spin you can try the Seasame Fonio recipe from Splendid Table.

[b]I predict fonio will become the next best thing
, and it’s my hope that the popularization of this grain will help West African farmers, combat global malnutrition and disease and will spark a movement to discover more “orphan crops” that can help us feed our growing population.

A kilogram of fonio goes for #1500.
To order 0.8.0.6.6.6.4.6.8.6.8.
Re: How To Prepare Fonio Grain (hungry Rice) Aka ACHA To Order 0.8.0.6.6.6.4.6.8.6.8 by lizdammy: 1:58pm On Jul 19, 2021
lizdammy:
Acha is highly recommended for the diabetic.

I appreciate y'all for the loyalty.

Thanks for the patronage. Keep calling Dammylove on o7o87787676
Re: How To Prepare Fonio Grain (hungry Rice) Aka ACHA To Order 0.8.0.6.6.6.4.6.8.6.8 by lizdammy: 10:27am On Jul 24, 2021
Thanks for the patronage.

Keep calling Dammylove on 070-8778-7676
Re: How To Prepare Fonio Grain (hungry Rice) Aka ACHA To Order 0.8.0.6.6.6.4.6.8.6.8 by Iamfavored: 10:13pm On Nov 09, 2021
wakes:
Fonio, quinoa – what’s next?!

Quinoa, unknown to many just five years ago, is a grain many American families now consider a weekly staple. But the cost of our food fads can impact the very farmers that bring us those crops. Spikes in demand run up prices for grains like quinoa and corn and the result is that farmers can’t afford to buy their own crops to feed their families. (frowning)

And then along comes fonio: “The most nutritious grain you’ve never heard of“.

Not only is that phrase true, it’s the name of a short documentary by GLP films and National Geographic (which you can watch below). They dive into the story of an unknown grain from West Africa that is one of the healthiest, easiest to grow and drought-resistant crops out there.

As it turns out, I ate fonio (pronounced phone-yo), unknowingly when I visited West Africa in 2003. I didn’t know what grain I was eating, but it was a staple at every single meal.

Fonio is amazing because it’s:

Drought-resistant, making it easier to grow in climates facing increased water scarcity
Incredible healthy, having properties to help combat diabetes and obesity
Gluten-free
Rich in minerals like magnesium, zinc and manganese
Doesn’t require the use of pesticides or fertilizers (!!)
High in amino acids
Been around for over 5,000 years (that’s how long yoga has been around to give you some perspective)
Aids in fighting malnutrition of women and children
Low on the glycemic index
More resilient than modern day crops
Prepping fonio is labor intensive and creates jobs in West Africa
And… it grows in poor soil
fonio_the_new_quinoa
Fonio farming family in northern Mali
In Mali mythology fonio is called “the seed of the universe” and after learning about it, I’d have to agree.

The documentary “The most nutritious grain you’ve never heard of” interviews Dr. Salimata Wade, Professor of Physiology and Human Nutrition at University of Dakar. She states that fonio is a key to help combat world hunger, the crop can be planted and grown several times in one year and it’s organic in production which is “what people want these days”.

How do you buy fair trade fonio?

Thanks to the team at GLP films, they pointed to the only fair trade fonio company called Ethiquitable where farmers are getting paid well for their hard work.

The good news is you can buy fonio in most African marketplaces and some speciality shops.

How do you prepare fonio?

Fonio is a type of millet and according to the Guardian it’s,

a cross between couscous and quinoa, in both appearance and texture” with a nutty flavor.

To cook fonio [/b]you simply put 1 part fonio to 3 parts water. I would use a rice cooker like I do for all my grains, but if you make it on the stovetop, bring it to a boil, then let simmer until fluffy and soft. For a fancier spin you can try the Seasame Fonio recipe from Splendid Table.

[b]I predict fonio will become the next best thing
, and it’s my hope that the popularization of this grain will help West African farmers, combat global malnutrition and disease and will spark a movement to discover more “orphan crops” that can help us feed our growing population.

A kilogram of fonio goes for #1500.
To order 0.8.0.6.6.6.4.6.8.6.8.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Minister Commissions Digital Cervical Cancer Screening Centre Donated By OCI Fou / Stress Kills – See 5 Simple Ways To Reduce Work Related Stress - Topwritersden / Antimalarial Drugs Without Any Multivitamin Syrup Or Blood Tonic.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.