Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,321 members, 7,811,949 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:04 AM

Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? (26624 Views)

Ways People Take Revenge On Bad Parking / What Is The Use Of Neutral Gear In An Automatic Transmission Car? / Are Nigerian Drivers Graduating From Double Parking To Triple Parking? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by jnrbayano(m): 7:00pm On Jan 04, 2016
Not too long ago, we (my colleague and I) riding on our project vehicle (a manual transmission Mitsubishi truck) to one of our sites, entered a discussion.

We talked about where the correct position of the gear should be when a manual transmission car is at parking state.

I am of the opinion that the gear position should be at No 1 (gear one). My reason is for the gear to give the car a second stationary protection (A backup to the handbrake).

Recall that when a car (manual gear system) is at rest (not started) at any gear position without clutching down, it is next to impossible to set that car on motion manually (giving the car a push or pull)

He, on the contrary is of the opinion that the gear position should be Neutral. That the handbrake should be sufficient to ensure a no motion state at parking position.

What of if the handbrake fails?

I decided to bring it here to get more insight on this subject.

Lalasticlala, give it a push.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by jaymejate: 7:12pm On Jan 04, 2016
[size=16pt]On a slope, you put it in gear 1 or any gear with handbrake so it won't move even if handbrake fail.

On a straight ground, you can either use gear 1 or neutral. Gear 1 without handbrake, neutral with handbrake.

Bro you need to come for driving tutorial just N20000 for 1 week grin grin[/size]

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by jnrbayano(m): 8:43pm On Jan 04, 2016
jaymejate:
[size=16pt]On a slope, you put it in gear 1 or any gear with handbrake so it won't move even if handbrake fail.

On a straight ground, you can either use gear 1 or neutral. Gear 1 without handbrake, neutral with handbrake.

Bro you need to come for driving tutorial just N20000 for 1 week grin grin[/size]

cheesy

I bet you have not been a driver in years more that I have...

So sure of this.

3 Likes

Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by diportivo: 8:55pm On Jan 04, 2016
U usually get used to how u learn

The cars i drove while learning and after i mastered driving had faulty handbrakes....ofcos in those cases gear 1 had d upper hand

I had gotten so accustomed to it that eventually,i still use gear one even if the handbrake is okay

Aslong as d handbrake isnt faulty,it is enuff to hold the car

4 Likes

Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by YoungDaddyB: 9:48pm On Jan 04, 2016
When parking downhill it should be on Reverse and Hand break, any other state of parking (uphill or flatland) should be on gear 1 and hand break. Check Car manuals and driving school books. Professional manual driver speaking here.

47 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by looseweight: 9:55pm On Jan 04, 2016
Gotta learn something tonight

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by miqos02(m): 9:55pm On Jan 04, 2016
hmmm

1 Like

Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by Matttthew(m): 9:55pm On Jan 04, 2016
If you ask me, na who I go ask?

1 Like

Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by jejemanito: 9:56pm On Jan 04, 2016
I no even understand wetin OP and him fellows dey yarn so

7 Likes

Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by anigbajumo(m): 9:56pm On Jan 04, 2016
so simple bro,if the ride is on level ground...use yer handbrake as usual and then switch the gear in neutral position.

But wen the ride is on ground that is topographic in shape then u need to switched to gear 1 and use thehandbrake as usual just incase of handbrake failure.....

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by DVMtuppence(m): 9:57pm On Jan 04, 2016
LEarning
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by kirchofff(m): 9:57pm On Jan 04, 2016
U mean deGEAR of man u?

2 Likes

Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by Nastydroid(m): 9:58pm On Jan 04, 2016
undecided

1 Like

Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by ihatebuhari(f): 9:58pm On Jan 04, 2016
grin
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by cutepaul(m): 9:58pm On Jan 04, 2016
End time gear

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by Mattpopson101: 9:59pm On Jan 04, 2016
So no body sabi park again, na to dey accelerate only

5 Likes

Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by nanocash: 9:59pm On Jan 04, 2016
Observing
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by Opoki(m): 10:00pm On Jan 04, 2016
jnrbayano:
Not too long ago, we (my colleague and I) riding on our project vehicle (a manual transmission Mitsubishi truck) to one of our sites, entered a discussion.

We talked about where the correct position of the gear should be when a manual transmission car is at parking state.

I am of the opinion that the gear position should be at No 1 (gear one). My reason is for the gear to give the car a second stationary protection (A backup to the handbrake).

Recall that when a car (manual gear system) is at rest (not started) at any gear position without clutching down, it is next to impossible to set that car on motion manually (giving the car a push or pull)

He, on the contrary is of the opinion that the gear position should be Neutral. That the handbrake should be sufficient to ensure a no motion state at parking position.

What of if the handbrake fails?

I decided to bring it here to get more insight on this subject.

Lalasticlala, give it a push.
ur friend na mumu.

2 Likes

Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by IamTheophilus(m): 10:00pm On Jan 04, 2016

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by sheddo619(m): 10:00pm On Jan 04, 2016
Matttthew:
If you ask me, na who I go ask?
don't worry God will provide for you a car b4 d yr runs out so when next smtin lyk dis pops out u would have smtin to say, can I hear an amen

6 Likes

Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by Demmocrats(m): 10:00pm On Jan 04, 2016
You asked a question and you answered it and you are asking us if you answered it

1 Like

Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by shepherd77: 10:00pm On Jan 04, 2016
Learning

Abeg how can i get the identity if the owner of a particular phone number.

I'm chatting with one f.oolish scammer. He revealed himself as Senator Bukola Saraki. He asked if I needed a job with the Nigerian customs. I answered yes.

Then he told me to contact one Alhaji. He gave the phone number.

I'll like to get the true identity if the owner of the number so i can take appropriate legal measures.

I'll reveal the screenshots of our chat session on a thread soon.
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by Estimable(m): 10:00pm On Jan 04, 2016
Gear 1 is the strongest in terms of parking.....for Manual. Transmission

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by Jagermeister(m): 10:00pm On Jan 04, 2016
U'll be getting comments from people who have never been within 10 yards from any cars key, much less starting a car!

2 Likes

Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by Fawklicant: 10:00pm On Jan 04, 2016
YoungDaddyB:
When parking downhill it should be on Reverse and Hand break, any other state of parking (uphill or flatland) should be on gear 1 and hand break. Check Car manuals and driving school books. Professional manual driver speaking here.

Best advice here.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by Nobody: 10:01pm On Jan 04, 2016
bros na gear 1 o
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by lekxaid007(m): 10:01pm On Jan 04, 2016
just passing by.... . ...... ...... ...... le me try am with my brother car first
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by Crex007(m): 10:01pm On Jan 04, 2016
I tink putting it in gear will be safer.......as d hand brake may be faulty witout u knowing..to avoid u shouting 'my car...my car' in d morning wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by dustydee: 10:01pm On Jan 04, 2016
Do not leave your car on gear when it is parked. Always put it to neutral. Sometimes we forget to clutch down when starting a car and if the gear is engaged, it can cause the car to jump and could lead to an accident. That is one of the functions of the handbrake.

5 Likes

Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by linearity: 10:01pm On Jan 04, 2016
Why will you want to still be putting load on your gear system when the vehicle is at rest and parked?

The gear will now be carrying load the load of your entire car, overtime this will adversely affect the gear system, put the car in neutral and engage the hand break if you need torque against any unanticipated motion.

11 Likes

Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by hardychris(m): 10:01pm On Jan 04, 2016
Just park am any how you want but find 2 better big stones take wedge the tires that's all.

25 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Dangote Trailer Hits Built-up Area In Owode / Leaked Pictures - 2013 Range Rover / Help With Brain Box Number

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.