Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,771 members, 7,813,557 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:51 PM

Advice From Experienced Car Owners/drivers Needed Here - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Advice From Experienced Car Owners/drivers Needed Here (949 Views)

11 Mistakes Most Nigerian Car Owners Make / 10 Disgusting Ways Nigerians Behave When They Become Car Owners? / Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice From Experienced Car Owners/drivers Needed Here by megawax8: 7:05am On Jan 05, 2016
Good morning all,

I was driving yesterday and i saw a car that was involved in an accident......the front tire on the passenger side blew out, no lives lost but the car was damaged considerably......some persons were grieving with the car owner while some maintained that the driver was a little inexperienced and then i got to thinking, do i even know what to do in that situation or any car trouble situation sef?

so my good and experienced people of Nairaland, what do one do if say......

1. One is on speed and realises he has a failed brake
2. One is driving and say the tires on any side pulls off (if it can be broken down to each tires, would be super cool)
3. Others can add theirs..

Thanks.
Re: Advice From Experienced Car Owners/drivers Needed Here by lonelydora: 1:18pm On Jan 05, 2016
1. If it's automatic, leave it on 'D' and don't push it to neutral. Just hold tightly on your steering wheel and control the car as necessary. There's something call Engine braking.

2. If you have a tire brust on speed, please don't match the brake. Hold tightly onto your steering.

3. Drive on a speed you can control incase of emergency, DO NOT OVERSPEED, and also DO NOT PANIC incase of any emergency. FEAR KILLS FASTER THAN WHATEVER SITUATION YOU FIND YOURSELF.

1 Like

Re: Advice From Experienced Car Owners/drivers Needed Here by adanny01(m): 5:27pm On Jan 05, 2016
megawax8:
Good morning all,

I was driving yesterday and i saw a car that was involved in an accident......the front tire on the passenger side blew out, no lives lost but the car was damaged considerably......some persons were grieving with the car owner while some maintained that the driver was a little inexperienced and then i got to thinking, do i even know what to do in that situation or any car trouble situation sef?

so my good and experienced people of Nairaland, what do one do if say......

1. One is on speed and realises he has a failed brake
2. One is driving and say the tires on any side pulls off (if it can be broken down to each tires, would be super cool)
3. Others can add theirs..

Thanks.

1. Keep pumping the brakes till you stop.
In an emergency that you need to stop to avoid hitting an object, use the hand brake but with very serious caution as that will lead to skidding. My advise is to pull lightly while holding the release button. Most hand brakes are cable operated connected directly to the rear brakes. A functional hand brake doesnt fail when hydraulic brake lines leak.
2. Just control steering to a stop without applying brake or hand brake.
My friend and his neighbour were buried yesterday due to tire burst. My only guess was he applied brakes and probably didnt wear seat belts.
3. Always put brand new unexpired tires in the front. If your must replace 2 new tires put them at the front not at the back. This is why i like FWD, they will allow you manage worn out tires in the rear but RWD needs good tires front and back else you will have rear wheel skidding all the time.

1 Like

Re: Advice From Experienced Car Owners/drivers Needed Here by inihood(m): 6:06pm On Jan 05, 2016
adanny01:

1. Keep pumping the brakes till you stop.
In an emergency that you need to stop to avoid hitting an object, use the hand brake but with very serious caution as that will lead to skidding. My advise is to pull lightly while holding the release button. Most hand brakes are cable operated connected directly to the rear brakes. A functional hand brake doesnt fail when hydraulic brake lines leak.
2. Just control steering to a stop without applying brake or hand brake.
My friend and his neighbour were buried yesterday due to tire burst. My only guess was he applied brakes and probably didnt wear seat belts.
3. Always put brand new unexpired tires in the front. If your must replace 2 new tires put them at the front not at the back. This is why i like FWD, they will allow you manage worn out tires in the rear but RWD needs good tires front and back else you will have rear wheel skidding all the time.

FWD, worn rear tires and rain is an extremely bad combination. In the rains, tires with deeper threads must go to the back.
FWD, worn rear tires in the dry season, you can get away with but not recommended.

1 Like

Re: Advice From Experienced Car Owners/drivers Needed Here by adanny01(m): 10:54pm On Jan 05, 2016
inihood:

FWD, worn rear tires and rain is an extremely bad combination. In the rains, tires with deeper threads must go to the back.
FWD, worn rear tires in the dry season, you can get away with but not recommended.

Thats why i used the word "manage".

1 Like

Re: Advice From Experienced Car Owners/drivers Needed Here by megawax8: 3:13pm On Jan 06, 2016
adanny01 and lonelydora ........Thanks

but if i may ask, do i need to turn off the engine(ignition) on any of the situations
Re: Advice From Experienced Car Owners/drivers Needed Here by adanny01(m): 5:20pm On Jan 06, 2016
megawax8:

but if i may ask, do i need to turn off the engine(ignition) on any of the situations

No, never.

The risks are too much.

1. There is risk of turning key to complete of which in some cases will allow the steering to lock.
2. You will lose powered steering.
3. Servo brakes require engine vacuum to be soft. Brakes becomes hard as soon as you turn engine off.

2 Likes

Re: Advice From Experienced Car Owners/drivers Needed Here by megawax8: 6:04pm On Jan 06, 2016
adanny01:

No, never.

The risks are too much.

1. There is risk of turning key to complete of which in some cases will allow the steering to lock.
2. You will lose powered steering.
3. Servo brakes require engine vacuum to be soft. Brakes becomes hard as soon as you turn engine off.

Thanks boss.
Re: Advice From Experienced Car Owners/drivers Needed Here by lonelydora: 7:40pm On Jan 06, 2016
megawax8:

Do not turn off ignition because of the reasons adanny01 stated. It will be more disaster if your steering lock due ignition off.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Keep Your Car Breathing Well: Change The Air Filters / World's Most Expensive SUV: $500,000 Mercedes Maybach / Iconic Rolex Motorsports Wristwatch Sold For 6.3 Billion Naira

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.