Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,366 members, 7,812,051 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:13 AM

Why Do So Many People Hate The MLM Industry - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Do So Many People Hate The MLM Industry (1524 Views)

Small Generator Ban: Does Buhari Hate Small Businesses? / Shoprite In Amuwo Odofin, Lagos Patronised By Many People (photos) / Why Many People Fail To Make Money Online (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do So Many People Hate The MLM Industry by Nobody: 11:27am On Jan 05, 2016
I'm kinda curious this morning.

I want to know your mind.

Why do people hate this industry so much?
Re: Why Do So Many People Hate The MLM Industry by Nobody: 11:55am On Jan 05, 2016
Some reasons are:

Fear.

Lack of sales skills.

Comfort zone syndrome.

I've met with a few of them but I'm yet impressed to have decided in its favour.

I'll be breaking that jinx this year. I dare to fail in it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do So Many People Hate The MLM Industry by hahn(m): 12:05pm On Jan 05, 2016
dearpreye:
Some reasons are:

Fear.

Lack of sales skills.

Comfort zone syndrome.

I've met with a few of them but I'm yet impressed to have decided in its favour.

I'll be breaking that jinx this year. I dare to fail in it.

I love that quote! grin

1. MLM is a business: Nigerians are more salary motivated and are often unable to understand that building a business takes time. The comfort of earning basic monthly salary often over shadows the stress required to build a business from start-up to profitability.

2. It is NOT a get rich quick scheme: No thanks to internet marketers who say make $1000 daily. Even though this is possible, many people expect to start making that amount in their first month. The truth is people who make such amounts have been in the game for more than 2 years, at least. This misconception often gives new marketers unrealistic expectations and when they don't meet with their targets they get discouraged

3. Outrageous start up fees: Some network companies, especially in Nigeria, require you to start with 50k and above. Where the money? I still prefer foreign programs because most times it is free to sign up and get your own affiliate link whereas in Nigeria some companies will charge you to create an affiliate link

4 Ridiculous compensation plans: For instance, when you get so-so points you are able to buy products at a lesser price. So, someone who has been in the business for over 2 years can buy the product for N10,000 and resell for N12,000 whereas a new member has to start buying at N15,000. The new member is already at a disadvantage. Like I said, ridiculous.

5. Expensive products: Lots of mlm companies in Nigeria sell at outrageously high prices. They seem to forget that Nigeria is a third world country and expect everyone to spend money like our corrupt politicians. For those who don't know, when people refer to Nigerians as rich they are actually referring to money spent by corrupt politicians, fraudsters and drug barons. The minimum wage is N18,000 per month for crying out loud undecided

Op, that's all I think about for now

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do So Many People Hate The MLM Industry by Nobody: 12:07pm On Jan 05, 2016
hahn:

I love that quote! grin

Thanks, my brother. I think the fear of failure is really doing us much damage. I'll be starting one later this month. If not for anything, lemme get the experience.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do So Many People Hate The MLM Industry by hahn(m): 12:18pm On Jan 05, 2016
dearpreye:

Thanks, my brother. I think the fear of failure is really doing us much damage. I'll be starting one later this month. If not for anything, lemme get the experience.

I just edited that post. Check it out again
Re: Why Do So Many People Hate The MLM Industry by Nobody: 12:21pm On Jan 05, 2016
hahn:

I just edited that post. Check it out again

I'll do that.
Re: Why Do So Many People Hate The MLM Industry by suyamasta(m): 12:42pm On Jan 05, 2016
Because MLM is almost a ponzi scheme where new money is used to service old money,
Re: Why Do So Many People Hate The MLM Industry by Nobody: 3:02pm On Jan 05, 2016
suyamasta:
Because MLM is almost a ponzi scheme where new money is used to service old money,

Aha!

This one sounds interesting. This are the people I was looking for.

"Almost a ponzi scheme"........can I ask you a question?

What is a Ponzi scheme?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do So Many People Hate The MLM Industry by suyamasta(m): 4:52pm On Jan 05, 2016
Ganoderma:

Aha!

This one sounds interesting. This are the people I was looking for.

"Almost a ponzi scheme"........can I ask you a question?

What is a Ponzi scheme?
check my previous response it clearly defines a ponzi scheme wia u use new money to service old money
Re: Why Do So Many People Hate The MLM Industry by aloeman15(m): 5:18pm On Jan 05, 2016
I suppose perception is key.
If you invest in buying rolls royce cars without going out to market your products, who do you blame?
If you invest in gala but are too ashamed to market your products, who do you blame?
Do your due diligence on the company, it's products and your own abilities to know if any business is for you.
Stop using others as your excuse for your own short-comings.
Re: Why Do So Many People Hate The MLM Industry by Nobody: 5:27pm On Jan 05, 2016
suyamasta:
check my previous response it clearly defines a ponzi scheme wia u use new money to service old money

New money to service old money

Help me out here. What does that mean?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do So Many People Hate The MLM Industry by shommans: 1:26am On Jan 06, 2016
Pls try this network. Etisalat /dfci
DFCI - DOCTORS FOR CHILDREN INTERNATIONAL & 8dollarz.biz

Our Products

Direct Refferal bonus
Binary Matrix Commissions
CUG line
DFCI Reward
Product Revenue
Humanitarian services
Cooperative Society
Skill Acquisition
H. M. O.
Social Club

How does it Work?

How to register -

Go to 8dollarz.biz
Click on 'Register now'
Fill in the username of your SPONSOR
fill in your own username, password, transaction password, etc
Click 'next'
Make payment by paying into DFCI bank account or use ewallet from your sponsor. The cost of full membership is $19/N3,800. Registration with 8dollarz.biz is $8/N1,600. The Etisalat Sim+CUG activation fee is $5/N1,000. A personalized MasterCard from Stanbic IBTC costs $6/N1,200.
New Members are STRONGLY advised to pay the entire registration fee at once or pay for the registration and the Etisalat package (N2,600). Payment for the MasterCard can be made when there's a substantial amount to be withdrawn.
Your 8dollarz.biz website is created instantly.

After Registration, what next?

After registration you are required to tell as many people as possible about DFCI & 8dollarz.biz who you know will benefit from our products. You are required to register a minimum of 5 people to enable you take advantage of all the benefits available in 8dollarz.biz. In 8dollarz.biz $1 is equivalent to N200 (two hundred naira), regardless of the current exchange rate.

PRODUCTS/WAYS TO EARN

Direct Refferal bonus - Everyone you introduce to 8dollarz.biz who pay their registration fee of N1,600 will fetch you N320 ($1.6). So if you directly register 100 people you earn, 100 X N320 = N32,000 ($160).
Binary Matrix Commissions- The Binary commissions are paid via a 2x3 matrix system. There are 4 stages of the 2 by 3 matrix system. Stage 1 level 1 requires you bring 2 people. One will be placed on your left side and the other on your right side. Stage 1 level 2 means those 2 peole will bring 2 people each making 4 (or any extra persons you or your uplines bring will be placed under your first 2). Stage 1 level 3 means those 4 will bring in 2 each (or spillovers from you or your uplines), making 8 people. That ends stage 1. This 2x3 matrix is basically designed to serve as a feeder matrix, meant to activate other accounts. This 2X3 matrix is replicated in 4 stages. When any of your team members who were in your first stage finish their stage one, they will join you in stage 2. On completion of each stage you would have earned the following sums & incentives; stage 1 = $12.8/N2,560 (inclusion into the product revenue) stage 2 = $49/N9,800 (inclusion into the cooperative society), stage 3 = $490/N98,000 (qualification for a health insurance scheme), stage 4 = $2100/N420,000 (qualification for the social club).
Etisalat CUG - You will need to add an extra N1,000/$5 to your registration fee. This will get you an ETISALAT sim card which will be activated for the DFCI CUG. Anyone who owns this line can make free calls to everyone in DFCI (who's ETISALAT sim is activated for the CUG). There will be no need for out-of-pocket payment for thisCUG subscription fee. This is because every month 8dollarz.biz will deduct the sum of $5/N1,000 from your earnings to pay ETISALAT. The best part of the CUG is that you can make money from it as well. As long as all the people you have registered are plugging into the ETISALAT CUG, you will make $0.2/N40 from each of them through a 3X8 matrix system. Meaning that the first 3 people you registered into 8dollarz.biz will also be arranged on a table in multiples of 3. That is, as your personally sponsored members and their downlines begin to grow in number, they are arranged as follows; 3 in level 1, 9 in level 2, 27 in level 3, 81 in level 4, ......... and finally 6561 in level 8. You can earn between $0.6/N120 ($0.2/N40 from 3 people) to N350,000 ($0.2/N40 from 3+9+27+81+243+729+2187+6561 = 9840 people) per month for the rest of your life.
DFCI Reward- The actual amount paid to ETISALAT for your CUG monthly subscription is N500/$2.5. The remaining $2.5/N500 is again shared back to all members. Every member of your team (that is those who you directly registered and their downlines) will form another 5x5 matrix. Meaning they will all be arranged as 5, 25, 125, 625 and capped at 3125 (maximum number of team members you can earn the DFCI REWARD from is 3,905). This means that at the end of every month you will earn $0.5/N100 from the number of people that you have in your team. So if you have 5 + 25 + 125 + 625 (780) people at the end of a particular month, you earn $0.5/N100 X 780 persons = ($467.5/N78,000). You can earn between N500 (from 5 people) to N390,000 (from N3905 people) monthly as well.
Product Revenue - You qualify for this as soon as you finish stage one of the 2x3 matrix. The product revenue is a form of training opportunity offered to every qualified member of DFCI. These trainings include Computer literacy, fishery, poultry farming, paint making, snail rearing, etc. Each member will be debited different sums for 5 different trainings of their choice. There are 5 different stages of the product revenue. Payment for these trainings are made as soon as a member attains each stage of the product revenue. Stage one costs $5, stage 2 costs $12.5, stage 3 costs $35, stage 4 costs $100 and stage five costs $250. If any of your downlines qualifies for stage one of the product revenue (by completing stage one of the 2X3 matrix), they will pay $5 for the first training. $1 from their payment will be paid to you. When up to 5 of them have paid $5. You would have earned $1 X 5 = $5. These same people (or more) will also qualify to get paid $1 each from their team members who finish the first stage of the 2x3 matrix. The team members you earn from in product revenue do not have to be in your direct sponsored line. But when your direct sponsored team members start to earn from the product revenue, you are entitled to earn 100% of their earnings. You move to and pay For stage 2 of the product revenue when you have made enough money to pay for stage 2 which costs $12.5. You can earn the some incentives as you upgrade from stages 2 to stage 5 of the product revenue. They are; A laptop, A Car, A vacation and A House.
The Humanitarian Service is the contribution we make to the NGO, Doctors for Children International from our earnings. Everyone is entitled to withdraw up to 60% of all their earnings. 20% is saved up for their social club membership and Cooperative Society contributions. 10% is contributed towards achieving the goals of DFCI and the remaining 10% is left for the Admin of 8dollarz.biz
Cooperative Society - Everyone who is able to complete their stage 2 of the 2x3 matrix. Every member of 8dollarz.biz at some point will begin to contribute $100 towards the cooperate society. From this cooperative society members who have been active for upto 6 months can borrow up to 3 times the amount they have in their ewallet for private/business matters. The good thing with the cooperative society memberships is that members can also earn residual income as their team members contribute towards the cooperative society. This earning is arranged on another 5x10 matrix system. The first 5 members to start contributing to the cooperative will pay you $10 each. As the team grows (from your second generation and beyond) to 25, 125, 625 and so on you will earn $5 from each of them.
The Skill Acquisition is the same trainings given to members who qualify under the product revenue package.
H. M. O. - The Company is working currently to attach qualified members to several Health Management Organisations which will provide health insurance for members to be able to access Healthcare at subsidized rates.
SOCIAL CLUB - There are certain criteria members must have to be included in the Social Club. They are;
I. Buy the complete DFCI/8dollarz.biz membership package of $19 ($8 = registration, $5 = Etisalat Sim and $6 = Stanbic IBTC Mastercard) II. Be active by referring atleast 5 members and you must have atleast 5 active members have their own 5 members each. III. Complete the 4th stage of the 2x3 feeder matrix. IV. Give the DFCI Social Club atleast 2 months notice for hosting any social event of your choice.. $75,000 will be given to qualified members. $10,000 will be taken out for payment for food, drinks and entertainment to be taken care of by DFCI. The remaining $65 is given to you to spend as you like.

FOR ME, The ETISALAT CUG is a very good product for people who spend a lot of money calling a specific set of people monthly. As beneficiaries of this CUG they can call their contacts who also join 8dollarz.biz for free. This is done through a one-time registration for the CUG with N1000. As soon as they invite their friends and other contacts to take advantage of this CUG, money begins to accumulate in their website from which monthly earnings are made available for members to withdraw. From this and several other earnings, $5 is deducted monthly as the CUG monthly subscription fee.
Join our group on whatsapp 08034418228
Re: Why Do So Many People Hate The MLM Industry by tundebj(m): 7:52am On Jan 06, 2016
The problem with MLM is the people

in it especially Nigeria
once some people get to some levels
in the network they begin to take advantage of
others
eventually the top flourishes while
those tricked by the affluence of those
at the top suffer greatly.

The MLM system was designed to spread
wealth but Greed, greed, greed will keep
hunting man
Re: Why Do So Many People Hate The MLM Industry by Nobody: 8:16am On Jan 06, 2016
hahn:

I love that quote! grin

1. MLM is a business: Nigerians are more salary motivated and are often unable to understand that building a business takes time. The comfort of earning basic monthly salary often over shadows the stress required to build a business from start-up to profitability.

2. It is NOT a get rich quick scheme: No thanks to internet marketers who say make $1000 daily. Even though this is possible, many people expect to start making that amount in their first month. The truth is people who make such amounts have been in the game for more than 2 years, at least. This misconception often gives new marketers unrealistic expectations and when they don't meet with their targets they get discouraged

3. Outrageous start up fees: Some network companies, especially in Nigeria, require you to start with 50k and above. Where the money? I still prefer foreign programs because most times it is free to sign up and get your own affiliate link whereas in Nigeria some companies will charge you to create an affiliate link

4 Ridiculous compensation plans: For instance, when you get so-so points you are able to buy products at a lesser price. So, someone who has been in the business for over 2 years can buy the product for N10,000 and resell for N12,000 whereas a new member has to start buying at N15,000. The new member is already at a disadvantage. Like I said, ridiculous.

5. Expensive products: Lots of mlm companies in Nigeria sell at outrageously high prices. They seem to forget that Nigeria is a third world country and expect everyone to spend money like our corrupt politicians. For those who don't know, when people refer to Nigerians as rich they are actually referring to money spent by corrupt politicians, fraudsters and drug barons. The minimum wage is N18,000 per month for crying out loud undecided

I've read the above over 5 times and I saw myself all the while. Your points are very valid.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do So Many People Hate The MLM Industry by Nobody: 10:22am On Jan 06, 2016
hahn:

I love that quote! grin

Fraudsters, Corrupt politicians, Drug barons...........so to you these are the only guys that have money in Nigeria?

Well, we didn't forget that Nigerian is a third world country. We also realize that the minimum wage is N18,000.

But those two facts doesn't stop the average Nigerian from throwing lavish parties. It doesn't stop the average Nigerian from lavish spendings at bars and nightclubs. It doesn't stop the average lady from spending on vanity -hair extensions, bags, shoes, dresses, makeups etc

That our products appear to be expensive shouldn't stop you from joining a good MLM company. The products may seem expensive, but I still sell the products regardless. All I simply need to do is identify those with a problem that my product solves and that is all. It doesn't matter what the price of the product is. So long as I am selling to the right people, price is not even an issue.

Remember when MTN first started. Remember how much it cost to get a phone and a line back then. The phone back then will not even compete with the average kpalasa phone today. But look at how ridiculous the price was. But people still bought it nonetheless. Even people you thought couldn't afford to buy. I remember jumping molue back in those days and you would hear a ringing phone inside molue. Imagine. And you are here saying that product is to expensive.

Its just a defeatist mentality that you cannot sell a product because it is expensive and that the minimum wage is N18,000. Fortunately, there are more people in Nigeria who make far more that N18,000 so that really is not my problem.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do So Many People Hate The MLM Industry by hahn(m): 2:43pm On Jan 06, 2016
Ganoderma:

Fraudsters, Corrupt politicians, Drug barons...........so to you these are the only guys that have money in Nigeria?

Well, we didn't forget that Nigerian is a third world country. We also realize that the minimum wage is N18,000.

But those two facts doesn't stop the average Nigerian from throwing lavish parties. It doesn't stop the average Nigerian from lavish spendings at bars and nightclubs. It doesn't stop the average lady from spending on vanity -hair extensions, bags, shoes, dresses, makeups etc

That our products appear to be expensive shouldn't stop you from joining a good MLM company. The products may seem expensive, but I still sell the products regardless. All I simply need to do is identify those with a problem that my product solves and that is all. It doesn't matter what the price of the product is. So long as I am selling to the right people, price is not even an issue.

Remember when MTN first started. Remember how much it cost to get a phone and a line back then. The phone back then will not even compete with the average kpalasa phone today. But look at how ridiculous the price was. But people still bought it nonetheless. Even people you thought couldn't afford to buy. I remember jumping molue back in those days and you would hear a ringing phone inside molue. Imagine. And you are here saying that product is to expensive.

Its just a defeatist mentality that you cannot sell a product because it is expensive and that the minimum wage is N18,000. Fortunately, there are more people in Nigeria who make far more that N18,000 so that really is not my problem.

Lovely points. I totally agree. The topic of the thread is why most Nigerians HATE mlm and I only addressed the topic. Nothing personal.

The issues you raised are very much on point and the "deafeatist" mentality you highlighted is a serious problem which has affected not only the mlm industry but businesses in general and it's also a big hindrance for Nigerians. We would achieve more as a nation if we chose to tackle problems squarely instead of making up excuses. I think you should create a thread and share your experiences in mlm so people can learn. Don't forget to mention me grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do So Many People Hate The MLM Industry by wikifiki: 4:37pm On Jan 06, 2016
It is not complex. There are 3 sets of people when it comes to MLM in Nigeria.

1. FRAUDSTERS: They are out to scam people of their money.

2. FAILED PARTICIPANTS: Those that entered the business and failed.

3. SUCCESSFUL PEOPLE: Those that joined a genuine company learnt the business and then excelled at iit. You can indeed make a great income from MLM but you must do the required work.

I joined a company late last year and it has been a positive experience so far.
Re: Why Do So Many People Hate The MLM Industry by Nobody: 12:24pm On Jan 11, 2016
hahn:

Lovely points. I totally agree. The topic of the thread is why most Nigerians HATE mlm and I only addressed the topic. Nothing personal.

The issues you raised are very much on point and the "deafeatist" mentality you highlighted is a serious problem which has affected not only the mlm industry but businesses in general and it's also a big hindrance for Nigerians. We would achieve more as a nation if we chose to tackle problems squarely instead of making up excuses. I think you should create a thread and share your experiences in mlm so people can learn. Don't forget to mention me grin
one thing that I've noticed about multi level marketing is that, it allows people to take advantage of other people in order to build their wealth.

which is ironically a Good thing. I've found that every business or company in the world takes advantage of other people in order to create wealth. MLMs however, offer the advantage of a potential to create own wealth.

one thing I advice people to look out for is, make sure the company is NOT pyramid scheme which will exploit you. the money you are paid should not come from payments, but from purchases of certified products which you can sell anyway without having to bring people into the business for an immediate profit.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

N40,000 Paid Into My Account / Fidelity Bank Seals Off Titanic View Hotel Owerri & Las Vegas Club / In Need Of Second Hand Football Boots(Bulk)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.