Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,334 members, 7,819,152 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:01 PM

The Quality Of Nigeria's University Education (Let's Rank Them) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Quality Of Nigeria's University Education (Let's Rank Them) (30835 Views)

University Of Cape-Town Promotes 3 Nigerians To Rank Of Professor / What Are The Top Rank Universities In Naija To Study Pharmacy? / Free University Education In Finland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Quality Of Nigeria's University Education (Let's Rank Them) by smoothjazz(m): 1:14pm On Nov 06, 2005
This is one subject the keeps coming up in many circles. Please share your views, then your make your nominations/ranking.
Re: The Quality Of Nigeria's University Education (Let's Rank Them) by silver(m): 5:38pm On Jan 09, 2006
I THING U.I IS THE BEST IN MEDICINE BUT LAUTECH IS THE OVERALL BEST.
Re: The Quality Of Nigeria's University Education (Let's Rank Them) by Nobody: 5:44pm On Jun 02, 2006
i read someone's mail saying "i think UI is best in med but lauteck is best in all"
I think that student/person should revisit the school or at least the web for more info.even your VC said it that you can not compare lauteck to greatest UI.whre was lauteck in the resent 2005 world ranking.although it was not as I expected but UI stood tall amongst others in nigeria. grin
Re: The Quality Of Nigeria's University Education (Let's Rank Them) by Nobody: 3:39pm On Jun 05, 2006
UI is the best school in Nigeria.This is an obvious fact, and I would beg of non-uite to take it as it is.for God's sake it is the oldest school in the country and it has acquired alot of long lasting potentials over the years.I am not just saying this because i am a uite,the school has proofs to back it.I THINK ALL WE NEED TO DO IS SEEK FOR MORE INFO B4 CONCLUDING.I WOULD ALSO LOVE TO STATE THAT THERE ARE OTHER GOOD SCHOOLS AS WELL LIKE GREAT IFE, UNN AND OTHERS LIKE UNIBEN.ALL OF WHICH ALMOST SHOWED UP IN THE RECENT 2005 WORLD RANKING.ALTHOUGH THE RESULTS WERE POOR BUT THEY SHOWED UP EXEPT FOR UNN.
PLEASE STOP MENTIONING LAUTECK, IT JUST STARTED GROWING,YOU MIGHT WANA MENTION UNIPORT INSTEAD WHICH IS REALLY GROWING FAST THE LAST TIME I CHECKED
Re: The Quality Of Nigeria's University Education (Let's Rank Them) by Nobody: 4:52pm On Jun 05, 2006
here are my facts.
The Nigerian University Commission recently announced the result of the ranking of Nigerian University. In his weekly memo, the Executive Secretary of the commission – Prof Peter Okebukola said that for Administrative/Management Sciences, Pan-African University is ranked first. Likewise, the university came tops in both the ‘Student/Personal Computers ration’ and ‘percentage of foreign staff’.
On the overall basis for Private Universities, Pan-African University can first with 7.63 points followed by Babcock University, Illisan Remo with a distant 20.81 points (lower points stands for higher ranking). Benson Idahosa University, Benin came third with 22.10 points.
On the assessments for all the universities in Nigeria, PAU came second with 7.63 points after University of Ibadan with 5.53 points. University of Lagos came third with 7.80 points while Obafemi Awolowo Univerity,Ile-Ife came forth with 7.95 points.
Prof. Okebukola listed the criteria for ranking the universities as percentages of academic programmes with full accreditation status, compliance with carrying capacity, proportion of academic staff at professional level, foreign content (staff), proportion of students who are non Nigerian, and foreign content (students). Others include proportion of staff with outstanding academic achievement, research output, students completion rate, PhD graduate output, stability of university calendar and student to computer ratio.(http://www.lbs.edu.ng/fmba_news.php#2)
2006 INFO.

other facts include:
UNIVERSITY OF IBADAN TOPS IN 2004 NUC RANKING
The University of Ibadan was on Monday, 11 April, 2005 declared the overall best in the 2004 ranking of Universities by National Universities Commission (NUC). It was also listed among the top 20 Universities to be fielded for the 2005 World University ranking. Congratulations(http://www.ui.edu.ng/UINewsbulletin_150405.htm)
2004 INFO

I FOR ONE DO HAVE DOUBTS SOMETIMES IN THE NUC EVALUATION,BUT HERE IS WHAT THE INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY BELIEVESsadhttp://www.webometrics.info/top100_continent.asp-cont=africa.htm
CHECK IT OUT,UI CAME OUT 1 :oST IN NIGERIA, #57 IN AFRICA AND 6304 IN THE WORLD,I AM NOT TOO PROUD OF THAT COS  I EXPECTED UI TO DO BETTER   

1   UNIVERSITY OF CAPE TOWN  546   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2   STELLENBOSCH UNIVERSITY  548   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3   UNIVERSITY OF PRETORIA  554   

4   UNIVERSITY OF THE WITWATERSRAND  636   

5   RHODES UNIVERSITY  683   

6   UNIVERSITY OF THE WESTERN CAPE  894   

7   UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH AFRICA  1,256   

8   UNIVERSITY OF KWAZULU-NATAL  1,478   

9   AMERICAN UNIVERSITY IN CAIRO  1,518   

10   UNIVERSITY OF THE FREE STATE  1,933   

11   NORTH WEST UNIVERSITY POTCHEFSTROOM  2,029   

12   UNIVERSITY OF PORT ELIZABETH  2,217   

13   UNIVERSITY OF DAR ES SALAAM  2,566   

14   PORT ELIZABETH TECHNIKON HIGHER EDUCATION  2,764   

15   UNIVERSITY OF LA REUNION  2,891   

16   UNIVERSITY OF ZIMBABWE  3,318   

17   CAPE TECHNIKON  3,498   

18   UNIVERSITY OF NAMIBIA  3,612   

19   MAKERERE UNIVERSITY  3,628   

20   UNIVERSITY CHEIKH ANTA DIOP  3,641   

21   POLYTECHNIC OF NAMIBIA  3,752   

22   UNIVERSITY OF MAURITIUS  3,799   

23   NELSON MANDELA METROPOLITAN UNIVERSITY  4,397   

24   ARAB ACADEMY FOR SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY  4,446   

25   UNIVERSITY EDUARDO MONDLANE  4,457   

26   TSHWANE UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY  4,484   

27   UNIVERSITY OF NAIROBI  4,508   

28   UNIVERSITY OF JOHANNESBURG  4,611   

29   CAIRO UNIVERSITY  4,748   

30   GERMAN UNIVERSITY IN CAIRO  4,791   

31   UNIVERSITY OF ZULULAND  4,806   

32   UNIVERSITY OF BOTSWANA  4,818   

33   KIGALI INSTITUTE OF SCIENCE TECHNOLOGY AND MANAGEMENT  4,963   

34   ECOLE MOHAMMADIA D'INGENIEURS  4,997   

35   UNIVERSITE CADI AYYAD  5,038   

36   NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF RWANDA  5,140   

37   AL AKHAWAYN UNIVERSITY  5,301   

38   DURBAN INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY  5,313   

39   BURAO UNIVERSITY  5,353   

40   ADDIS ABABA UNIVERSITY  5,355   

41   MANSOURA UNIVERSITY  5,374   

42   NORTH-WEST UNIVERSITY  5,411   

43   UNIVERSITY OF GHANA  5,420   

44   MEDICAL UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN AFRICA  5,572   

45   UNIVERSITY OF THE NORTH  5,578   

46   UNIVERSITE DE NOUAKCHOTT  5,703   

47   UNIVERSITY OF KHARTOUM  5,741   

48   AL AZHAR AL-SHARIF ISLAMIC RESEARCH ACADEMY  5,849   

49   PENINSULA TECHNIKON  5,875   

50   MOGADISHU UNIVERSITY  5,927   

51   TECHNIKON WITWATERSRAND  6,011   

52   SOKOINE UNIVERSITY OF AGRICULTURE  6,090   

53   ECOLE DU PATRIMOINE AFRICAIN  6,121   

54   UNIVERSITY OF MALAWI  6,159   

55   UNIVERSITY OF OUAGADOUGOU  6,199   

56   UNIVERSITY OF FORT HARE  6,254   

57   UNIVERSITY OF IBADAN  6,304   

58   UNIVERSITE SENGHOR  6,321   

59   UNIVERSITY OF HARGEISA  6,329   

60   UNITED STATES INTERNATIONAL UNIVERSITY  6,347   

61   MOI UNIVERSITY  6,353   

62   MANGOSUTHU TECHNIKON  6,461   

63   MONASH SOUTH AFRICA  6,429   

64   ARAB OPEN UNIVERSITY  6,523   

65   UNIVERSITY ABOU BEKR BELKAID  6,524   

66   NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF LESOTHO  6,579   

67   OCTOBER 6 UNIVERSITY  6,591   

68   UNIVERSITY OF SWAZILAND  6,624   

69   OBAFEMI AWOLOWO UNIVERSITY  6,645   

70   JOMO KENYATTA UNIVERSITY OF AGRICULTURE AND TECHNOLOGY  6,674   

71   KABARAK UNIVERSITY  6,699   

72   ASSIUT UNIVERSITY  6,705   

73   KWAME NKRUMAH UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY  6,714   

74   MOHAMMED FIRST UNIVERSITY  6,749   

75   UNIVERSITE M'HAMED BOUGARA DE BOUMERDES  6,751   

76   UNIVERSITY OF ALGER  6,756   

77   KENYATTA UNIVERSITY  6,761   

78   UNIVERSITY OF BENIN  6,769   

79   UNIVERSITY OF NORTH-WEST MAFIKENG  6,817   

80   UNIVERSITY OF YAOUNDE I  6,829   

81   UNIVERSITY OF BATNA  6,860   

82   UNIVERSITE DJILLALI LIABES  6,906   

83   STRATHMORE UNIVERSITY  6,926   

84   BOTSWANA COLLEGE OF AGRICULTURE  6,969   

85   HELWAN UNIVERSITY  6,982   

86   DAYSTAR UNIVERSITY  7,006   

87   UNIVERSITY OF VENDA  7,059   

88   AFRICA UNIVERSITY  7,084   

89   UGANDA CHRISTIAN UNIVERSITY  7,176   

90   UNIVERSITY OF LAGOS  7,181   

91   SOUTH VALLEY UNIVERSITY  7,258   

92   UNIVERSITY OF BLIDA  7,294   

93   VAAL UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY  7,337   

94   CENTRAL UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY FREE STATE  7,359   

95   MODERN SCIENCES & ARTS UNIVERSITY  7,362   

96   UNIVERSITE CHOUAIB DOUKKALI EL JADIDA  7,364   

97   EGERTON UNIVERSITY  7,366   

98   UNIVERSITY OF JOS  7,369   

I BELIEVE IN FACTS.
Re: The Quality Of Nigeria's University Education (Let's Rank Them) by MP007(m): 9:12pm On Jun 26, 2006
wE DONT EVEN know which is which, The quality of education in nigerian universitiies is generaly low, there is nothing to rank ok!
Re: The Quality Of Nigeria's University Education (Let's Rank Them) by davidif: 7:39am On Aug 01, 2008
trust me, education in nigeria is useless and absolutely worthless. You wouldn't know until you come over here.
Re: The Quality Of Nigeria's University Education (Let's Rank Them) by doe82: 7:49am On Aug 01, 2008
davidif:

trust me, education in nigeria is useless and absolutely worthless. You wouldn't know until you come over here.
I m sure u re not a serious person!
[i]useless and absolutely worthless[/i]This is unbelieveable!!!
I'm sure u re not properly and adequately informed.
Re: The Quality Of Nigeria's University Education (Let's Rank Them) by ayo84(m): 11:54am On Aug 01, 2008
Nigeria's university educatiion is RUBBISH

Its Totally Rubbish

What we learn in university is history.

imagine when you had to use ms dos, and imagine the improvement in using Microsoft office 2007.

In Nigerian universties , they teach us history, we solve mathematically formulas that take 6 pages to solve and at the end we still do not know what the calculation was fro, we just crammed it to get a good mark.

Its crazy, even the lectures are nothing but History Teachers, they make you cram definitions, formulas as if by cramming these, you are going to change the world.

Total Crap

1 Like

Re: The Quality Of Nigeria's University Education (Let's Rank Them) by 111: 10:12am On Oct 01, 2008
heyiiiiiiiiii its so obvious that university of lagos is da BEST. grin, The only university in nigeria with a community radio station,and not t talk of its new television station.its one lap top per student policy,its internet facilities in all rooms in hall policy,work study policy,research and others, its so obvious UNILAG leads and others follow.In medicine its da best, almost all the students in 200 level are writing united states professional medical examination USMILE, not to talk of the young chattered accountants in 200 level accountancy,economics and others,LIK ME I AM IN 200 L AND WRITING MY ICAN FINAL EXAMS,MY FRIENDS HAVE QUALIFIED AND NOW WRITTING CHATTERED INSTITUTE OF STOCKBROKERS EXAM,AND CERTIFIED FINANCIAL ANALYST EXAMS(hmmmmm!!!ife have u heard of these exams b4 talkless of writing them*.also its engineering students already passing highly proffessional exams like sisquo and others.its lecturers are matured,they are all BIG boys on their own cus they are highly connected to industries in their fields.its so obvious unilag has the largest number of Nigerian proffessionals all over the world, WE HAVE ACESS TO ALL GOOD THINGS OF LIFE IN UNILAG so we dont strike and close down skool like IFE,we dont look tattered like UNI IBADAN,we are not RASS lik UNIBEN,we are not cultist like UNIPORT,OSU.We are big boys,models,TV presenters,fashion designers,clubbers and with all these we still come out top.hheeeyyy differeence is clear, UNILAG UNA GET MOUTH
Re: The Quality Of Nigeria's University Education (Let's Rank Them) by anwo247: 9:20pm On May 25, 2009
In another thread in this forum, I maintained that there was nothing to rank in Nigeria. The academic systems are faulty and are not working. Please try education outside the shore and you will understand. This is not meant to spite our graduates  but to say the fact and also encourage them not to make the mistake, for those who are ready for MS degrees, in doing it in any Nigerian University.

I was in a forum arguing with one Nigerian graduate with BSc in Engineering as he claimed. He was so serious in saying that as an engineer, that he is not meant to go to site. He's is design according to him, maybe solve the equations. But ours' is done from: classroom-laboratory-workshops-office-field/site. To do well in design, you are expected to have enough of interplay from physical results and feedbacks.

Their main interest here is simply how to discriminate against poly graduates whereas, their Uni graduates know almost nothing. Check out their final year Project work: Plagiarism!

We can improve on this. Nigeria is only a country where a local government councilor earns more than a PhD holder. It's that serious. How can the University work.

In Nigeria, you must be a graduate to belong, maybe do NYSC , whether you can spell your name or not.

You do not need to be a graduate in life to do well. You must have a minimum of one other talent. I think.
Re: The Quality Of Nigeria's University Education (Let's Rank Them) by freesoul(m): 12:32am On Jul 01, 2009
heyiiiiiiiiii its so obvious that university of lagos is da BEST. , The only university in nigeria with a community radio station,and not t talk of its new television station.its one lap top per student policy,its internet facilities in all rooms in hall policy,work study policy,research and others, its so obvious UNILAG leads and others follow.In medicine its da best, almost all the students in 200 level are writing united states professional medical [i]examination USMILE, not to talk of the young chattered accountants in 200 level accountancy,economics and others,LIK ME I AM IN 200 L AND WRITING MY ICAN FINAL EXAMS,MY FRIENDS HAVE QUALIFIED AND NOW WRITTING CHATTERED INSTITUTE OF STOCKBROKERS EXAM,AND CERTIFIED FINANCIAL ANALYST EXAMS(hmmmmm!!!ife have u heard of these exams b4 talkless of writing them*.also its engineering students already passing highly proffessional exams like sisquo and others.its lecturers are matured,they are all BIG boys on their own cus they are highly connected to industries in their fields.its so obvious unilag has the largest number of Nigerian proffessionals all over the world, WE HAVE ACESS TO ALL  GOOD THINGS OF LIFE IN UNILAG so we dont strike and close down skool  like IFE,we dont look tattered like UNI IBADAN,we are not RASS lik UNIBEN,we are not cultist like UNIPORT,OSU.We are big boys,models,TV presenters,fashion designers,clubbers and with all these we still come out top.hheeeyyy differeence is clear, UNILAG UNA GET MOUTH

111 what is this rubbish that you have written? Please this forum is for matured minds; not juvenile deliquents like yourself. What does being razz and tattered have to do with anything? You obviously shouldn't be here hiss! >:[table][/table]
Re: The Quality Of Nigeria's University Education (Let's Rank Them) by Jobeleagu(m): 8:47pm On Dec 25, 2009
We have poor trained graduates 4m niger, embarassed
Re: The Quality Of Nigeria's University Education (Let's Rank Them) by miscoe(m): 9:12am On Dec 26, 2009
Sometimes i wonder how Nigeria would progress with this present generation which is our only hope of survival.I get worried the more when i see youths calling themselves all sort of foul names just because the fellow youth try to say his mind.Freedom of Speech no longer have its way.Hatred have its way amidst nigerian youth
instead of love.NA WAO!!!
Re: The Quality Of Nigeria's University Education (Let's Rank Them) by tycoong: 8:28pm On Aug 01, 2011
There is very good university in Africa. In my opinion if you can go study abroad and came back after graduating is better. But if you cant , try to acheive your bachelor in Africa and apply for Ms and PhD all arround the world. And please come back and work four your country. Africa is ours , Africa is the future .here are the world best enginering schools http://www.sciengitech.com/2011/08/world-top-engineering-schools.html .

(1) (Reply)

I Feel Bad About My Jamb Score / Kogi State University Post Utme Form Is Out / Russia University Introduces Yoruba Language & Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.