Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,281 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:13 AM

Procrastination In Business And How I Got Over It - Marvejohndaily.com - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Procrastination In Business And How I Got Over It - Marvejohndaily.com (14492 Views)

Why Most Uneducated People Are More Successful In Business - Johnspeak Uwangue / See The Torn N1000 Note I Got From An ATM / How To Successfully Get Loan For Your Business - Marvejohndaily.com (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Procrastination In Business And How I Got Over It - Marvejohndaily.com by vascable: 11:15am On Jan 06, 2016
surprised? Nah don’t be, procrastination have been around for sometime and has been one major issue for most people.

Tomorrow Never Comes

This is a phrase my Mom said all the time when I was growing up…Arg! My Dad would reply, “Your Mom wants everything done yesterday”! I’m sure you’ve also heard or even said the following yourself; “I’ll take care of that tomorrow or I have more time tomorrow”. Is this the start of procrastination or will you really do it tomorrow?

In this post i will talk about the dangers of procrastination in your personal life and also in your businesses (using myself as an example, cause i was ones a victim) and how you can save yourself from it like i saved mine. You’d be surprised how this simple phrase can affect you so much.

1st i would love to define the term “procrastination” According to Wikipedia

“Procrastination is the avoidance of doing a task which needs to be accomplished. It is the practice of doing more pleasurable things in place of less pleasurable ones, or carrying out less urgent tasks instead of more urgent ones, thus putting off impending tasks to a later time.”

Now what happens when you procrastinate:-

Procrastination derives you from getting things done.

If you’re reading this and feel that you fit the profile of a chronic procrastinator, you may think that it’s not a big deal to be one. After all, your life might be functioning fine, and you’ve made it through many of the setbacks caused by your procrastination. However, keep in mind that it may catch up with you one day, and it can get to a point where it disrupts your life and negatively impact other people’s opinion of your character. Further, it’s not exactly comfortable living as a chronic procrastinator. In fact, Ferrari found that procrastinators have more regrets than non-procrastinators for things that they didn’t do.

“Stop stressing yourself over it. Life is short — leave a legacy,” says Ferrari.

How to Stop Procrastinating With the “2–Minute Rule” (As an individual and in your business)

Over the years i have followed this simple rule that has helped me crush procrastination and making it easier for me to stick to good habits at the same time.

I want to share it with you today so that you can try it out and see how it works in your life.

The best part? It’s a simple strategy that couldn’t be easier to use.

Here’s what you need to know…
http://www.myconciergellc.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Do-It-Post-It-Notes.jpg
How to Stop Procrastinating With the “2–Minute Rule”

I call this little strategy the “2–Minute Rule” and the goal is to make it easier for you to get started on the things you should be doing.

Here’s the deal…

Most of the tasks that you procrastinate on aren’t actually difficult to do — you have the talent and skills to accomplish them — you just avoid starting them for one reason or another.

The 2–Minute Rule overcomes procrastination and laziness by making it so easy to start taking action that you can’t say no.

There are two parts to the 2–Minute Rule…

Part 1 — If it takes less than two minutes, then do it now.

Part I comes from David Allen’s bestselling book, Getting Things Done.

It’s surprising how many things we put off that we could get done in two minutes or less. For example, washing your dishes immediately after your meal, tossing the laundry in the washing machine, taking out the garbage, cleaning up clutter, sending that email, and so on.

If a task takes less than two minutes to complete, then follow the rule and do it right now.

Part 2 — When you start a new habit, it should take less than two minutes to do.

Can all of your goals be accomplished in less than two minutes? Obviously not.

But, every goal can be started in 2 minutes or less. And that’s the purpose behind this little rule.

It might sound like this strategy is too basic for your grand life goals, but I beg to differ. It works for any goal because of one simple reason: the physics of real life.
The Physics of Real Life

As Sir Isaac Newton taught us a long time ago, objects at rest tend to stay at rest and objects in motion tend to stay in motion. This is just as true for humans as it is for falling apples.

The 2–Minute Rule works for big goals as well as small goals because of the inertia of life. Once you start doing something, it’s easier to continue doing it. I love the 2–Minute Rule because it embraces the idea that all sorts of good things happen once you get started.

Want to become a better writer? Just write one sentence (2–Minute Rule), and you’ll often find yourself writing for an hour.

Want to eat healthier? Just eat one piece of fruit (2–Minute Rule), and you’ll often find yourself inspired to make a healthy salad as well.

Want to make reading a habit? Just read the first page of a new book (2–Minute Rule), and before you know it, the first three chapters have flown by.

Want to run three times a week? Every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, just get your running shoes on and get out the door (2–Minute Rule), and you’ll end up putting mileage on your legs instead of popcorn in your stomach.

The most important part of any new habit is getting started — not just the first time, but each time. It’s not about performance, it’s about consistently taking action. In many ways, getting started is more important than succeeding. This is especially true in the beginning because there will be plenty of time to improve your performance later on.

The 2–Minute Rule isn’t about the results you achieve, but rather about the process of actually doing the work. It works really well for people who believe that the system is more important than the goal. The focus is on taking action and letting things flow from there.
Try It Now

I can’t guarantee whether or not the 2–Minute Rule will work for you. But, I can guarantee that it will never work if you never try it.

The problem with most articles you read, podcasts you listen to, or videos you watch is that you consume the information but never put it into practice.

I want this article to be different. I want you to actually use this information, right now.

What’s something you can do that will take you less than two minutes? Do it right now.

Anyone can spare the next 120 seconds. Use this time to get one thing done. Go.

Orange Alarm Clock

HOW I KILLED PROCRASTINATION WHEN IT COMES TO MONEY, ESPECIALLY BUSINESS FUNDS:-

Like i mentioned earlier i was a chronic procrastinator especially when it comes to my business then, at a point i needed some funds to invest in my business, i had my proposals done and what to do with the money when it comes, but then when the money actually comes instead of me using it to do what am supposed to do, i end up using it in other things that most times are not important.

I always say then “Let me use it and do this one, i will invest in my business later” that has been my life style for years and that habit kept me in one place always going in cycles until the day i told myself enough is enough!!!

HOW I DEALT WITH PROCRASTINATION IN MY BUSINESS:-

One morning i woke up and was determined to make a difference this time, i knew it was gonna take some time and patience, so what i did was to make up my mind that “No matter what happens, i will use the money for business, for business”.

And then thats how it all started i went to the bank and opened a different account but i didn’t collect the ATM for that account, cause i realized that was my major issue, cause then so far i have the ATM i spend the money.

Yeah that was the simple rule that worked for me, from there i learned how to save and keep records, it took my time but here i am today free from that evil spirit called PROCRASTINATION.

And i hope this piece of article helps you too in your journey of getting rid of that same evil spirit..

Have a Blessed day – Marve John

Source:- http://marvejohndaily.com/208-2/

Cc: seun, lalasticlala, obinoscopy

34 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Procrastination In Business And How I Got Over It - Marvejohndaily.com by abumeinben(m): 11:58am On Jan 06, 2016
Rules everywhere ....how to date, how to not date, how to know a good spouse, how to catch a thief, how to overpower an armed robber......

OP nice piece o, but...

if u want success as much as you want air to breathe, then no witch from your village can stop you not to talk of procrastination.

Good PM

9 Likes

Re: Procrastination In Business And How I Got Over It - Marvejohndaily.com by lampardizik(m): 11:58am On Jan 06, 2016
Story...
Re: Procrastination In Business And How I Got Over It - Marvejohndaily.com by Nobody: 12:00pm On Jan 06, 2016
When you procrastinate easy things like getting up from bed, you know you can't do the day's tasks easily.
Cos really, that's where it starts from

5 Likes

Re: Procrastination In Business And How I Got Over It - Marvejohndaily.com by Nobody: 12:00pm On Jan 06, 2016
Theory!!!
Re: Procrastination In Business And How I Got Over It - Marvejohndaily.com by calliope(f): 12:00pm On Jan 06, 2016
procrastination is a big deal, only self DETERMINATION, AWARENESS AND CONSCIOUSNESS CAN SET ANYONE FROM ITS SHACKLES.....
So you choose to dwell in it and watch time drift away.... Or face it

2 Likes

It took me two minutes to read this thrash angry

".... i went to the bank and opened a different account but i didn’t collect the ATM for that account, cause i realized that was my major issue, cause then so far i have the ATM i spend the money." Nonsense write-up embarassed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Procrastination In Business And How I Got Over It - Marvejohndaily.com by Jelo4kul(m): 12:01pm On Jan 06, 2016
Keneking:
It took me two minutes to read this thrash angry
The poster above me can lie eh

2 Likes

Re: Procrastination In Business And How I Got Over It - Marvejohndaily.com by Damfash(m): 12:01pm On Jan 06, 2016
A long one
Re: Procrastination In Business And How I Got Over It - Marvejohndaily.com by adedam007(m): 12:01pm On Jan 06, 2016
h
Re: Procrastination In Business And How I Got Over It - Marvejohndaily.com by Nobody: 12:01pm On Jan 06, 2016
#idonbelivit#
Re: Procrastination In Business And How I Got Over It - Marvejohndaily.com by Ossy99(m): 12:01pm On Jan 06, 2016
Do u expect to read all dis angry angry ??
Re: Procrastination In Business And How I Got Over It - Marvejohndaily.com by kelvyn7: 12:02pm On Jan 06, 2016
shocked

JUST TO LEARN HOW NOT TO PROCASTINATE FOR THIS LONG WRITE-UP shocked

ABEG MAKE I DEY PROCASTINATE DEY GO angry undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Procrastination In Business And How I Got Over It - Marvejohndaily.com by onosprince(m): 12:03pm On Jan 06, 2016
You for make am short na, if na even procrastination in relationships I for still read am grin
Re: Procrastination In Business And How I Got Over It - Marvejohndaily.com by youngguru23(m): 12:04pm On Jan 06, 2016
I neva start business
Re: Procrastination In Business And How I Got Over It - Marvejohndaily.com by Rooneyboy(m): 12:04pm On Jan 06, 2016
So the bottom line is that u opened a new bank account , and u deactivated the use of ATM ....

Isorite....
Re: Procrastination In Business And How I Got Over It - Marvejohndaily.com by 7footre(m): 12:06pm On Jan 06, 2016
Procrastination bane of ma life embarassed
Re: Procrastination In Business And How I Got Over It - Marvejohndaily.com by canalily(m): 12:10pm On Jan 06, 2016
..all i know is that procrastination is the only thief of time in anything you want to do in life....
Re: Procrastination In Business And How I Got Over It - Marvejohndaily.com by 2sexycom(m): 12:11pm On Jan 06, 2016
Rooneyboy:
So the bottom line is that u opened a new bank account , and u deactivated the use of ATM ....

Isorite....
lol... Everyone will always blow up their first million, after that, they adjust. You don't need anything like deactivating any ATM etc, except that person ISNT wise. I saw your PM bro and I had replied. grin
Re: Procrastination In Business And How I Got Over It - Marvejohndaily.com by danduchi(m): 12:11pm On Jan 06, 2016
God bless you for the piece... It life changing, God will help us all and give us the courage to withstand procrastination. Click like for the Op. Thanks man

2 Likes

Re: Procrastination In Business And How I Got Over It - Marvejohndaily.com by YoungExec: 12:12pm On Jan 06, 2016
@op
Great piece.
With respect to the paragraph where you related procrastination to business, I think the reverse is also the case, a lot of people I've come across invest disproportionately more in their business than on personal needs. It brings to mind, the analogy of the meat seller who sells all the good parts to his customers and brings the bones and leftovers back for his family.
I believe the key is striking a balance, there must be a balance between your investing in your source of income (business, job etc) and your self (personal needs). Both extremes are equally bad.

Thanks for your illuminating piece.
Re: Procrastination In Business And How I Got Over It - Marvejohndaily.com by Nobody: 12:12pm On Jan 06, 2016
Ok thks.

1 Like

Re: Procrastination In Business And How I Got Over It - Marvejohndaily.com by YerYer: 12:13pm On Jan 06, 2016
I will read this later

1 Like

Re: Procrastination In Business And How I Got Over It - Marvejohndaily.com by deeswagger: 12:13pm On Jan 06, 2016
Nice
Re: Procrastination In Business And How I Got Over It - Marvejohndaily.com by Nobody: 12:17pm On Jan 06, 2016
ok
Re: Procrastination In Business And How I Got Over It - Marvejohndaily.com by OCTAVO: 12:19pm On Jan 06, 2016
Nice
Re: Procrastination In Business And How I Got Over It - Marvejohndaily.com by saasala(m): 12:29pm On Jan 06, 2016
You didnt give any workable example here...

As for me, I have been able to overcome procrastination in my life and business by planning for my day, minute by minute the day before. Every night, I open my notepad on my phone and write down how I am going to spend the next 24 hours and I stay true to it. My being on Nairaland at this moment has been planned for since yesterday.

3 Likes

Re: Procrastination In Business And How I Got Over It - Marvejohndaily.com by yomalex(m): 12:32pm On Jan 06, 2016
Hmm
Re: Procrastination In Business And How I Got Over It - Marvejohndaily.com by Rooneyboy(m): 12:38pm On Jan 06, 2016
2sexycom:
lol... Everyone will always blow up their first million, after that, they adjust. You don't need anything like deactivating any ATM etc, except that person ISNT wise. I saw your PM bro and I had replied. grin

Bro, whatsup , yet to see ur reply , call me or flash me..... Get my nub on my PM
Re: Procrastination In Business And How I Got Over It - Marvejohndaily.com by Nobody: 12:45pm On Jan 06, 2016
Hmmmm...guilty of this. God help me
Re: Procrastination In Business And How I Got Over It - Marvejohndaily.com by yusufbida(m): 12:47pm On Jan 06, 2016
YoungExec:
@op
Great piece.
With respect to the paragraph where you related procrastination to business, I think the reverse is also the case, a lot of people I've come across invest disproportionately more in their business than on personal needs. It brings to mind, the analogy of the meat seller who sells all the good parts to his customers and brings the bones and leftovers back for his family.
I believe the key is striking a balance, there must be a balance between your investing in your source of income (business, job etc) and your self (personal needs). Both extremes are equally bad.

Thanks for your illuminating piece.

Good Topic Good Contribution
May God bless the op and YoungExec all the posters above don't silly menh

Now to myself

procrastination in Business is my concern and I ve learned my lesson from ds post.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Exchange Is Used In A Naira Mastercard Dollar Transaction? / Dhgate vs Alibaba... Which is better? / Dangote Plans Fuel Exports To Europe, Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.