Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,922 members, 7,828,205 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 06:13 AM

Is This Killing Your Relationship? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is This Killing Your Relationship? (719 Views)

Nigerian Formulas Are Trash? Stop Killing Your Children | Experiment / Having A Timetable For Sex Can Boost Your Relationship / You Are Destroying Your Husband And Killing Your Marriage With This (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Is This Killing Your Relationship? by yearegods: 5:08pm On Jan 07, 2016
WISDOM & UNDERSTANDING: THE KEYS TO A SUCCESSFUL RELATIONSHIP!

Now, this article is a discussion I have drawn-up from a section of my book, titled Beautiful Singles, under the heading, All Men Are Not The Same. It’s a discussion that looks at the challenge that rocked the relationship between David and his wife, Michal – 1 Samuel 6:14-24. Before I go into discussing the scriptures in 1 Samuel 6, I’d like to give us a brief overview of the said crisis.

In that portion of scriptures, I saw a lady (Michal) who didn’t like the conduct of her man (David), and wanted to get him to conform to her own set-standard. She didn’t like the manner in which her man expressed his emotions. He was just too unrefined and childish (in that regard) for her liking. He needed to “grow up”; and she wanted to change that by all means. Now, here’s a little more detail about the event. The Ark of the Covenant of God had been carted away by the philistines. But David and his men were able to return the Ark to the city, after coming out victorious in battle, against the Philistine Soldiers. There was great rejoicing in the city; both man and woman; young and old; they were all rejoicing at the return of the Ark of the Covenant. However, I think King David took his own joy to the extreme (at least, in the eyes of his wife, Michal), and he became a great turn-off.

See what the Bible said in 2 Samuel 6:14-16:

"And David danced before the LORD with all his might; and David was girded with a linen ephod.

And as the ark of the LORD came into the city of David, Michal Saul's daughter looked through a window, and saw king David leaping and dancing before the LORD; and she despised him in her heart."

There are a few points I’d like to bring out from those portions of scriptures. Firstly, David (the king) was demonstrating his joy, in front of the whole city, in an unusual manner! He was demonstrating his joy in a manner that many men who were nowhere near his status wouldn’t even dare. He danced, shouted, jumped, and had his clothes falling off, in front of the servant girls. To make matters even worse, he was doing all that with his ephod (kingly/priestly robe) on. The thing wasn’t a pleasant sight to his wife, at all
Before I go any further, we need to understand that it was love that brought David and Michal together, in the first place. Yes! Michal really loved David. In fact, 1 Samuel 18:20 said:

"And Michal Saul's daughter loved David…"

At another time, Michal even had to risk her life to deliver David, from the hands of her father. See 1 Samuel 19:11-13:

"Saul also sent messengers unto David's house, to watch him, and to slay him in the morning: and Michal David's wife told him, saying, If thou save not thy life tonight, tomorrow thou shalt be slain.

So Michal let David down through a window: and he went, and fled, and escaped.

And Michal took an image, and laid it in the bed, and put a pillow of goats' hair for his bolster, and covered it with a cloth."

David also demonstrated his love for Michal, by officially going for her hand in marriage. Verse 27 of the same chapter said:

"Wherefore David arose and went, he and his men, and slew of the Philistines two hundred men; and David brought their foreskins, and they gave them in full tale to the king, that he might be the king's son in law. And Saul gave him Michal his daughter to wife."

This goes to confirm that they both had strong affection for each other, from the very start. Sure, a lot of water had passed under the table (since they first came together) before this time, and possibly dampened their love (as it happens in many relationships); but the fact still remains that it was love that brought them together in the first place - no one was forced on the other!

Let’s go further now. Michal watched her husband as he was jumping all over the place, in front of the whole city, and almost going half-naked; and she despised him in her heart. After the celebration, David blessed the people, and gave them gifts. Afterwards, he returned to bless his own household; but this was what he received:

"...[his wife] Michal, daughter of Saul, came out to meet David, and said, How glorious was the king of Israel today, who stripped himself of his kingly robes, and uncovered himself in the eyes of his servants’ maids, as one of the worthless fellows shamelessly uncovers himself!" – 2 Samuel 6:20 (AMP)

What a blow! The man was expecting to go celebrate with his family, but right at his doorsteps, he received an insult, from the one who was supposed to be his helper. David on the other hand, retorted immediately, and answered his wife (out of deep hurt) in a manner that left her barren for the rest of her life.

2 Samuel 6: 21 and 23 puts it this way:

"And David said unto Michal, It was before the LORD, which chose me before thy father, and before all his house, to appoint me ruler over the people of the LORD, over Israel: therefore will I play before the LORD."

Therefore Michal the daughter of Saul had no child unto the day of her death."[/i]

Hmm! I think there’s a lot we can learn from this. Maybe Michal could have done things differently. David’s way of expressing his joy may have actually been over-the-board. But I also think that the truth, when not spoken in love, and at the right time, can sometimes start uncontrollable storms in our relationships. Maybe David (on the other hand) could have kept quiet, and just walked away. Maybe his silence could have at least saved his wife from the for-life bareness – I doubt it, though! Or maybe their relationship was lacking the two (2), very vital relationship-ingredients: wisdom and understanding!

Anyways, I’d love to hear your comments on this matter.

http://okadabooks.com/book/about/10461

God bless…

1 Like

Re: Is This Killing Your Relationship? by dapaiks: 9:22am On Jan 08, 2016
abi

(1) (Reply)

Women And Their Crave For Marriage / Moving Out Syndrome: My Honest Admonition / Coach Amodu Shaibu is dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.