Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,955 members, 7,817,805 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:05 PM

Ross Kemp: In Search Of Pirates 2 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ross Kemp: In Search Of Pirates 2 (3002 Views)

Pirates Raid Nigeria Police Armoury, Seize Weapons / There Is Little Evidence Buhari Can Fix Nigeria - BBC Will Ross / JTF Arrest Boko-Haram Members In Search Of Food (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ross Kemp: In Search Of Pirates 2 by Ilelobola: 10:07pm On Jun 16, 2009
I've just seen this programme and it doesn't look good in Nigeria. I wonder if anyone else saw it- think it's on You Tube now too with the same tittle. Was on Sky One if anyone's interested in seeing it again on Sky Player.

-Has the good Governor Fashola not seen or heard of Ajegunle? I'd have thot it should be high priority sorting that place out and should feature highly on his beautification programme.

-And all the oil spillage in the oil producing regions; even if the government and the oil companies don't care about the people, what about the lost revenues? They are destroying Rivers and Farm lands in the name of oil, yet not doing anything for the people of the area.

-And what about Governor Amaechi's dinning room? There sure is money in our country . . . undecided

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGsNSwcS6lc  (Part 1of 5)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQcwVvtMkvg&feature=related  (Part 2of 5)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzrv-RYELxs  (Part 3 of 5)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z79-L4uUqOY  (Part 4 of 5)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10voRH-l8vY  (Part 5 of 5)
Re: Ross Kemp: In Search Of Pirates 2 by blacksta(m): 10:11pm On Jun 16, 2009
sAW it on sky 1 on friday  must say it was very impressive - Ajejunle is a shocking place to live  - Lord have mercy.
Re: Ross Kemp: In Search Of Pirates 2 by ElRazur: 10:33pm On Jun 16, 2009
Thanks for posting that. I refuse to pay Rubert Murdoch for sky. smiley
Re: Ross Kemp: In Search Of Pirates 2 by Ibime(m): 10:38pm On Jun 16, 2009
I recorded it on Sky plus and just watched it now.

I was dissapointed. After hyping the programme, he didn't actually get to meet any kidnappers or activists.

Ledum Mitee made a good point about bunkering. He said there are three levels of bunkering, the boys who tap into the pipeline, the barges who come to bunker and the wholesalers waiting offshore to collect the bunkered oil. The industry is worth $15bn a year. I wonder, can the Navy not stop the wholesalers offshore and cut off the problem from its source. All the big men in Abuja are eating off our collective misery. Not just Niger Deltans, but the whole Nigeria. BBC has already reported on these big men wholesaling in bunkered crude. I wonder when our Govt will do something about it.

And yes, Amaechis breakfast lounge looks like some 5 star hotel schizmo. The people love him though so who cares?
Re: Ross Kemp: In Search Of Pirates 2 by blacksta(m): 10:46pm On Jun 16, 2009
WAS that really breakfast it looks more like rice and beans
Re: Ross Kemp: In Search Of Pirates 2 by Sagamite(m): 12:44am On Jun 17, 2009
Ilelobola:

I've just seen this programme and it doesn't look good in Nigeria. I wonder if anyone else saw it- think it's on You Tube now too with the same tittle. Was on Sky One if anyone's interested in seeing it again on Sky Player.

-Has the good Governor Fashola not seen or heard of Ajegunle? I'd have thot it should be high priority sorting that place out and should feature highly on his beautification programme.

Sorry, what were you expecting him to do?

Wave a magic wand?

Do you sell any? He might be interested as he will solve all Lagos problem in a day and be able to relax.

Ibime:

I wonder, can the Navy not stop the wholesalers offshore and cut off the problem from its source. All the big men in Abuja are eating off our collective misery. Not just Niger Deltans, but the whole Nigeria. BBC has already reported on these big men wholesaling in bunkered crude. I wonder when our Govt will do something about it.

They can but obviously they are not allowed to.

Yaradua is useless and hopeless. Due process to him is do nothing.

Recently, there was a news report that the legislative arm was investigating how some companies had obtained oil allocations for a criminal length of period that broke all due process rules and guidelines. Some of the companies named are MRS Oil and Gas, OandO and 2 other companies that did not have a website (one was called Noel Energy).

See members of the board of these firms:

http://www.mrsgroupng.com/ourboard.html

http://www.oandoplc.com/nigeria/about-oando/about/board-of-directors/

See the family names on the list - Dantata, Dangote, Ibru, Tinubu, Magoro

These are the ones that have the guts, or lack the extra needs, to make their names public. There will be many generals and politicians that have shares in these firms (e.g. Babangida) that are working behind the scenes, making millions of dollars a year whilst the people in the ND can not feed themselves through honest means because of pollution.

These are the people the useless militants criminals should be attacking their properties and kidnapping their kids instead of raping and robbing innocent Nigerians.
Re: Ross Kemp: In Search Of Pirates 2 by Sagamite(m): 12:51am On Jun 17, 2009
Here is the news report:

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=145903

[size=14pt]Gaius-Obaseki: Oil Cabal Had Allocations Up to 2016[/size]
From Onwuka Nzeshi in Abuja, 06.12.2009

Former Group Managing Director of the Nigeria National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC), Chief Jackson Gaius-Obaseki, yesterday told the House of Representatives Ad hoc Committee probing the activities of the corporation and its subsidiaries how he fought the cartel operating in the oil industry to a standstill when he came on board in 1999.

Although he neither denied nor admitted the theory of alleged connivance between the cartel and NNPC, Gaius-Obaseki, however, disclosed that he met an incredibly chaotic situation on ground wherein as at 1999, some companies involved in lifting fuel oil had allocations up to 2016.
Also, more revelations emerged at the sitting of the committee with NNPC facing fresh charges of conniving with the infamous oil cartel to keep the nation’s four refineries perpetually in a state of coma.

Gaius-Obaseki was NNPC GMD under former President Olusegun Obasanjo regime from 1999 to 2003.
He told the committee that he was forced to cancel such bogus allocations when he discovered that the procedure for lifting the products for local industries and export lacked transparency.
The committee has, however, asked Gaius-Obaseki and Minister of Petroleum Resources, Dr. Rilwan Lukman, who was then the Special Adviser to former President Obasanjo on Petroleum Matters and alternate Chairman of NNPC board to appear before it within the next two weeks to explain more on this fuel oil racketeering and the role of NNPC in it.

Companies implicated under this charge included Ocean & Oil Limited, Noel Energy, Haske Enterprises as well as MRS Oil and Gas.
Nigeria was said to have lost  N17 billion as a result of this trade malpractice. The four companies have been accused of profiteering from the export of fuel oil at a time, textile firms, confectionaries and cement companies were winding up across the country due to non-availability of fuel oil to power their production plants.
It emerged at the panel yesterday that the cartel’s joker over the years was to prevent the refineries from producing at full capacity and at best function epileptically where they can produce more of the Low Pour Fuel Oil (LPFO) and High Pour Fuel Oil (HPFO), two rather unpopular but highly lucrative petroleum products, from which a privileged few have made huge profits.

None of the four refineries located in Kaduna, Warri and Port Harcourt is functional forcing the country which is the second largest exporter of crude oil in Africa to rely on fuel importation to meet domestic consumption.
This scenario provides avenues for the NNPC to export its own share of domestic crude and import refined products from overseas.
Also yesterday, the ad hoc committee rolled out another round of accusations against NNPC, alleging that the oil corporation in 2000 claimed to have imported 5.9 million metric tons of petrol but later inflated the volume to 7.3 million metric tonnes.

Hon. John Halims Agoda, who read the fresh charges, said by the alleged false inflation of figures in respect of imported fuel, NNPC and companies involved in the importation deal have ripped off the nation to the tune of $551 million in a single year.
The companies implicated in the importation deal namely Hyson, Sunray, Shell  and Addax  have been summoned to appear before  the committee alongside NNPC at a latter date to explain the details of the transaction.

Similarly, NNPC was accused of arbitrarily granting approvals for the lifting of fuel oil (HPFO/LPFO) to a cartel which procures the products at the domestic rate under the guise of supplying to local industries but diverts the products to the export market where the products are sold at international market rates.
Re: Ross Kemp: In Search Of Pirates 2 by Ilelobola: 7:02pm On Jun 17, 2009
Sagamite:

Sorry, what were you expecting him to do?

Wave a magic wand?

Do you sell any? He might be interested as he will solve all Lagos problem in a day and be able to relax.

If I had one, I would have given it to those before him without being paid for it. I would have thought sorting out the slums was more important than planting trees along Maryland or painting the sides or the roads black and white; but what does someone like me know eh?

Ibime:

I recorded it on Sky plus and just watched it now.

I was dissapointed. After hyping the programme, he didn't actually get to meet any kidnappers or activists.

I agree but it appears it was because MEND did not meet him like they said they would. Don't blame them though if the government had provided security; MEND ran the risk of being caught. I don't believe in violence but I support MEND's demand for a fair share of proceeds from resources taken from their land. The governor pretending he's never heard of MEND won't solve the problem either. At least it didn't paint Nigeria or Nigerians only in a bad way; he showed what the oil companies are doing or not doing in this case and the impact on the local community.
Re: Ross Kemp: In Search Of Pirates 2 by redsun(m): 7:59pm On Jun 17, 2009
Ajegunle is like hell on earth.How can people live like that?Won't they just die,not even rats can put up with that mess.
Re: Ross Kemp: In Search Of Pirates 2 by bombay: 11:38pm On Jun 17, 2009
What is uncle fash doing about the slums in lagos.
1.Ajegunle
2.okokomaiko
3.Ifako agege
4.mushin
5.Ifako ijaye
6.makoko
7.ikosi
I can keep on naming.
Lagos is not just VI and Ikoyi
Re: Ross Kemp: In Search Of Pirates 2 by Arnold1(m): 11:43pm On Jun 17, 2009
bombay:

What is uncle fash doing about the slums in lagos.
1.Ajegunle
2.okokomaiko
3.Ifako agege
4.mushin
5.Ifako ijaye
6.makoko
7.ikosi
I can keep on naming.
Lagos is not just VI and Ikoyi

He is upgrading the slums one at a time. The govt is short of funds to upgrade them all at once because it has to spend money on other areas such as health, salaries, schools etc.

I do admit that the highbrow areas have gotten the most attention, but it'll shift to other areas soon.
Re: Ross Kemp: In Search Of Pirates 2 by Sagamite(m): 8:42am On Jun 18, 2009
Ilelobola:

If I had one, I would have given it to those before him without being paid for it. I would have thought sorting out the slums was more important than planting trees along Maryland or painting the sides or the roads black and white; but what does someone like me know eh?

No, you start by focusing on areas that give the maximum benefit. And those areas are those that has the largest mass of people transporting through and that encourages investment which may further boost the capital base used for driving the change (VI, Ikoyi, IKJ, Ikorodu Rd, Apapa). How does Ajegunle fit into this? What is its strategic importance? Or you think Fashola will not have a strategy?

There is a lot wrong with Lagos (transportation, justice, healthcare, sewage, ocean erosion, over-crowding, corruption, water, crime, bad roads etc), and very limited resources in fixing them. Stop taking a blind swipe at someone that is doing his best in improving them, with all the best intention, just because you feel like it or you can.
Re: Ross Kemp: In Search Of Pirates 2 by Badriyyah(f): 10:12am On Jun 18, 2009
75% of import. A white man owning a shipping company while an indian man is in charge of fishing. And we wonder why Nigeria is still the way it is??

1 Like

Re: Ross Kemp: In Search Of Pirates 2 by Ilelobola: 10:38am On Jun 18, 2009
Sagamite:

No, you start by focusing on areas that give the maximum benefit. And those areas are those that has the largest mass of people transporting through and that encourages investment which may further boost the capital base used for driving the change (VI, Ikoyi, IKJ, Ikorodu Rd, Apapa). How does Ajegunle fit into this? What is its strategic importance? Or you think Fashola will not have a strategy?

There is a lot wrong with Lagos (transportation, justice, healthcare, sewage, ocean erosion, over-crowding, corruption, water, crime, bad roads etc), and very limited resources in fixing them. Stop taking a blind swipe at someone that is doing his best in improving them, with all the best intention, just because you feel like it or you can.

We obviously have differing views on this. However do you think people that live in Ajegunle don't work or contribute in any way to the economy? It might not be the commercial capital of Lagos but the people are not less relevant than those in high brow parts of Lagos. What about benefits in form of reduced strain on healthcare from sorting out the seriously polluted water which is so obviously a breeding ground for diseases? I am not for or against Fashola neither am I taking a swipe at his regime as the decay did not start with him but I do not think people would have stopped travelling on Ikorodu road because the raod isn't tree lined or have it's sides painted. Whilst these things are good, in my opinion, they should be secondary. There should be a balance derieved from proper placing of priorities in his spending his very limited resources.
Re: Ross Kemp: In Search Of Pirates 2 by DisGuy: 1:10pm On Jun 18, 2009
Has the good Governor Fashola not seen or heard of Ajegunle? I'd have thot it should be high priority sorting that place out and should feature highly on his beautification programme.

He is apparently surprised that people lived in such an environment fashola visit slum

Arnold1:

He is upgrading the slums one at a time. The govt is short of funds to upgrade them all at once because it has to spend money on other areas such as health, salaries, schools etc.

I do admit that the highbrow areas have gotten the most attention, but it'll shift to other areas soon.

so whats the point having Local government chairmen? aren't the local government meant to have their own budget or what do they do?
short of funds? its no news the private section is investing mostly in the highbrow areas, the government should invest in these areas too

how soon, when lekki free trade zone is built?
Re: Ross Kemp: In Search Of Pirates 2 by redsun(m): 5:25pm On Jun 18, 2009
Nigeria is really a crazy country,it is like nobody is in charge,a concrete jungle.
Re: Ross Kemp: In Search Of Pirates 2 by peachie(f): 9:31pm On Jun 21, 2009
The OIL is a curse! angry
Re: Ross Kemp: In Search Of Pirates 2 by Guk: 11:28pm On Jun 22, 2009
It sickens me to see the Gov of Rivers State using little children for cheap publicity. THAT WAS SUCH A PEADOPHILIC BEHAVIOUR
Re: Ross Kemp: In Search Of Pirates 2 by peachie(f): 10:55am On Jun 23, 2009
Whats peadophylic about that??. Cheap publicity yes. And thats what they all do (politicians). What i did not like was the the way he just cunningly used Ross Kemp to showcase his 'popularity'. Tasteless! Did you guys see his breakfast room? shio! shocked
Re: Ross Kemp: In Search Of Pirates 2 by waffi1(m): 9:56pm On Jun 23, 2009
Why did he not show any part of warri. He was only in the hotel or because sky is scared they will be bared from nigeria by the goverment? MEND would have met him, but his hanging around the security forces all the time made it impossible. Those guys will not risk meeting him and getting caught by the goverment task force. Cause all they will end up saying is that they have succeded in arresting some millitant member. We all know 9ja. MEND will speak to him when they want.
Re: Ross Kemp: In Search Of Pirates 2 by MrCrackles(m): 10:08pm On Jun 23, 2009
I watched this over the weekend
I got to know more about the whole Nigeria Delta crisis and all that. . . . . . . sad
Re: Ross Kemp: In Search Of Pirates 2 by seyibrown(f): 12:21am On Jun 24, 2009
sad cry cry

(1) (Reply)

Say Your Prayer Towards GEJ's Presidency / Rochas- , JAPAN, CHINA, TO FLOOD IMO STATE WITH INVESTMENTS / Challenges Of State Development In Nigeria By Senator Abiola Ajimobi - Oyo State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.