Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,837 members, 7,817,474 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:52 PM

Probe Me, Soyinka Dares EFCC - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Probe Me, Soyinka Dares EFCC (641 Views)

N’delta Crisis: Some Militant Groups Have Contacted Me —soyinka / Amaechi Denies Spending N82m On Dinner For Soyinka, Dares Wike To Go To Court / Breaking News! Probe Me And See Nigeria Explode!! OBJ To Buhari. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Probe Me, Soyinka Dares EFCC by braimeddy: 8:04pm On Jan 07, 2016

Nobel Laureate Professor Wole Soyinka has dared anti-corruption agencies in the country to probe him over an allegation by Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Wike, that N82m was spent to host him by former governor Rotimi Amaechi.

Soyinka’s reaction came on the heels of an allegation by the Rivers State Government, which said on Wednesday that it would demand a refund of an alleged N82m purportedly expended on the 80th birthday dinner in honour of the Nobel Laureate by Amaechi.

The government, which spoke through the Commissioner for Information, Austin Tam-George, said it would take time for the legal process to be completed since “they were financial crimes.”

In a statement titled, “Those who flounder in the sewage of corruption,” the Nobel Laureate on Thursday described the allegation as a distraction and a sign of insecurity on the part of Wike.

Tam-George had said, “I will seek the permission of the governor to formally write Professor Wole Soyinka, a known supporter of Amaechi if he received part of the N82m spent on a three-hour dinner hosted in his honour by the Amaechi administration.

“If he agrees that he received such funds, then he will be compelled to refund same to the coffers of Rivers State.  Presently, we have presented these details to the police for investigation and prosecution.”

But Soyinka said, “I have learnt of some unsavory statements by the insecure incumbent of the Rivers State government Lodge. These included a loose invitation to anti-crime agencies to investigate the potential crime of being honoured through any occasion.

“The descent to this present level of abominable distractions makes one truly despair. It is one that even I did not envisage when I warned – ‘Corruption strikes back!’ Whether it brings honour or dishonour to the nation is another matter – I am saddened, but indifferent. EFCC and company – over to you! You all know where I live.

“The unprecedented call by this governor is prescient of a warning I recounted in my recent pamphlet publication, ‘The republic of liars’, and was taken from my address to an anti-corruption global conference that took place in Tunisia two years ago.

“Those words were, ‘Corruption strikes back’. In this ongoing instance, that expression translates most vividly as those who are neck deep in the sewage of corruption ensure that they splatter sewage in all possible and improbable directions.”

Describing Wike as “Wikeleaks”, Soyinka, who threw his weight behind the governor’s call for a probe into the money for the dinner in his honour, however, added that he was sad about the descent of the Rivers helmsman into an ‘abominable’ level of distraction.

He said, “I do however fully support the ‘Wikeleaks’ call for multi-directional probes. I recommend further that he involve the services of INTERPOL to guarantee its extension to all international organisations and governments to whom I owe uncountable events of recognition – including birthday luncheons, dinners, cultural receptions and events of real, fictitious, or simply opportunistic flavoring – to which I have submitted myself.”

Reacting, Amaechi dared Wike to go to court instead of peddling lies against him and Soyinka.

Amaechi, who is now the minister of transportation, spoke through his media office, on Wednesday.

He said it was unfortunate that Wike could peddle lies against him and the Nobel Laureate in order to “criminalise legitimate government transactions”.

The statement by Amaechi’s media office said, “Since Wike is blind to his responsibilities as the Governor of Rivers State and has insisted on attacking the person and clean reputation of Amaechi as his one and only project, then let him go to court to prove his allegations and stop the nefarious insinuations.”

Source : punchng.com

CC : lalasticlala
Re: Probe Me, Soyinka Dares EFCC by Nobody: 8:21pm On Jan 07, 2016
this will pass
Re: Probe Me, Soyinka Dares EFCC by Nobody: 9:18pm On Jan 07, 2016
Don't mess with this Prof! Madam Shepopotamus of Otuoke didn't fare any better! Her bloodied nose from the encounter with the Prof is not getting healed any moment yet!!!
Re: Probe Me, Soyinka Dares EFCC by Farnsworth: 10:15pm On Jan 07, 2016
probe our awesome prof...

(1) (Reply)

Snippert/other Findings From Eket Mega Rally For Udom Emmenauel / Saudi Arabia Is Third Happiest Country In Survey Which Shows Downbeat Europe / Why Should Immunity Cover Some People In This Country ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.