Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,814 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:31 AM

What Killed Mr. Biggs? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / What Killed Mr. Biggs? (2885 Views)

Any Meatpie Lovers In The House?? Not Mr Biggs Meatpie Ohhhhh / Student Finds Cockroach Inside A Meat Pie She Bought At Mr. Biggs(pic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Killed Mr. Biggs? by DonaldYusuf(m): 4:30pm On Jan 08, 2016
I remember a few years ago we woke up to find a new construction site close to the low level roundabout in Makurdi the Benue state capital. We didn’t know what the building was and the owners didn’t help matters. They kept us in suspense. After a while the whole thing became clear – it was one of the biggest fast food companies in Nigeria, Mr. Biggs grand entry into Makurdi. At that time the only restaurant or fast food spot the people knew was Tito Gate, so the general saying then was “the coming of Mr. Biggs into Makurdi is the death of Tito Gate”. And the fact that these two restaurants are close to each other helped fueled that perception. But contrary to that perception, both Mr. Biggs and Tito Gate became successful. Both survived the competition but then something happened.

Years later, another Fast Food company, STEAMS FAST entered the market with a very aggressive marketing and expansion with four outlets opened within 3 years of operation. The launch of STEAMS FAST formed a triangle around the low level roundabout with Mr. Biggs at the top of the angle while Steams and Tito is at the edges of the base. These three restaurants are all located around the roundabout. Steams became a huge success and something happened.

Steams took the competition to another level, and Mr. Biggs started feeling the heat. Gradually the patronage reduced and one day we woke up to discover that Mr. Biggs had packed up. What happened? As a Business Consultant, I started thinking how come Mr. Biggs folded up yet Tito Gate is still doing very well in the market, and even opening new outlets? The reason is simple!

In the heat of the competition, Tito focused on its flagship product which is its identity – the Tito Yoghurt. Steams, the market 'disruptor' built a brand identity – Steams bread. The company became the best bread maker in Makurdi, and then they added Ice cream and pop corn. Mr. Biggs on the other hand was still busy being a general restaurant with no known differentiation. The differentiation of Steams and Tito didn’t stop them from still selling the same stuff you can find in Mr. Biggs so people stopped going to Mr. Biggs. The inability of Mr. Biggs to bring something different into the market eventually killed it.

As a business, the day you become just like every other business is the day you start losing market. Have an identity – it could be a product, uniqueness in service offering, customer service, etc. Just have something that separates you from others in the market.

-Donald Yusuf

10 Likes

Re: What Killed Mr. Biggs? by DuchessLily(f): 4:36pm On Jan 08, 2016
Great piece! Thanx OP
Re: What Killed Mr. Biggs? by hisgrace090: 5:00pm On Jan 08, 2016
Good observation
Re: What Killed Mr. Biggs? by hopeforcharles(m): 6:04pm On Jan 08, 2016
I remember seeing a Mr Biggs spot and I was like what happened, you just cleared my doubts, but bad management shouldn't be ruled out, beautiful observation and post

1 Like

Re: What Killed Mr. Biggs? by Olayinka777(m): 6:40pm On Jan 08, 2016
Good writeup mr Donald! I'm highly surprised Mr Biggs is no longer in business, I actually patronised them a couple of times in early 2000 when I was in Makurdi.
Re: What Killed Mr. Biggs? by lifestyle1(m): 7:39pm On Jan 08, 2016
Re: What Killed Mr. Biggs? by Nobody: 8:15pm On Jan 08, 2016
This write up is of high standard. Are u an Economist?
Re: What Killed Mr. Biggs? by Blackkie: 8:48pm On Jan 08, 2016
You are on point!
They are rolling up their mat for one reason - zero innovation.

Late last year I had a business meeting in one of their outlets in Lagos only to be served with over night tastless meat pie.
Here in Aguda Surulere, their outlet in Mobile filling station is just empty day in day out.
Re: What Killed Mr. Biggs? by DonaldYusuf(m): 11:02pm On Jan 08, 2016
sweetboiy:
This write up is of high standard. Are u an Economist?
Not really. I'm a Business Consultant with great interest in Economics.

(1) (Reply)

N200 Only To Learn Culinary Dishes,cakes And Cake Decorating And Snacks / Take A Look At These Two Bigi Soft Drink, What Have You Been Drinking? / How Do You Prevent Talking While Eating???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.