Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,987 members, 7,835,305 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:23 AM

Buhari’s Anti-corruption War: Sincere Or Witch Hunt? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari’s Anti-corruption War: Sincere Or Witch Hunt? (1037 Views)

Murray-Bruce: Buhari’s Anti-Corruption War Not A Witch-Hunt / Olisah Metuh Offers To Return N400m, Pledges Support For Anti-Corruption War- SR / Buhari’s Anti-corruption War: Business Slows Down For Charter Airlines (Punch) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari’s Anti-corruption War: Sincere Or Witch Hunt? by obrien29(m): 8:49am On Jan 09, 2016
Nigerians have prayed for the end of corruption in the country the umpteenth time. At churches, at mosques, in buses, in offices, Nigerians have lifted their hands up in the air and prayed for the end of corruption in the country. Every new regime in the country had always promised to fight corruption, but none did. Most Nigerians believe that the immediate past regime romanced corruption and nearly tore this country into sheds.

Now, there is a president who is at least willing to fight corruption. Alas! Some people term the fight “witch hunt”. It can be amusing, are the corrupt ones witches and wizards? Although, no one can be certified as corrupt until when proven, however, some Nigerians have come out criticizing the regime for witch hunting. They have made some allegations that the government is hunting the opposition only. The supporters of the government have countered the allegations, stating that only the members of the opposition party were in the government in the last administration, but what of the state governments managed by the former opposition party and where was the source of the campaign money that brought the party into power? Remember, the president had said he borrowed the money for the nomination form.

What of the case of Saraki? No one hears about that these days, the issue has been swept under the carpet. The yam eaters of Dasuki’s yam are not only in the opposition party, they are also in the ruling party; would those in the ruling party be prosecuted? Why is the government not probing the regimes beyond the immediate past regime? Is there a deal? Is this government really ready to fight corruption?

Even if it is the witch hunting of the opposition, do you think it is better this way? Governments in power will not be corrupt because of the scare of the probe of the next government. Don’t you think it is better? Then, corruption will be wiped out and the country will be better. What do you think of this: sincere fight or witch hunt?

Chinwe O'Brien is a writer and a blogger. He is currently doing a degree program in English and Literature. He blogs at http://www.bettertim..com He wishes to make the world a better place for all.
Re: Buhari’s Anti-corruption War: Sincere Or Witch Hunt? by Demmocrats(m): 8:50am On Jan 09, 2016
bloggers
Re: Buhari’s Anti-corruption War: Sincere Or Witch Hunt? by naijaboy756: 8:52am On Jan 09, 2016
It is sincere witch hunt

1 Like

Re: Buhari’s Anti-corruption War: Sincere Or Witch Hunt? by Nobody: 9:09am On Jan 09, 2016
[size=14pt]Why people facing corruption charges are mostly PDP members at the moment
[/size]

I have read and heard from many people and PDP sympathizers that the current Buhari anti corruption drive is selective and Bias.

I totally agree it is selective. but I don't agree that it is bias. And there is nothing wrong in it being selective as long as the reason is the best for the country for now. Because I strongly believe it is the best thing and the best way to fight corruption in Nigeria for now. My reasons are as follows:

1. The anti corruption fight is currently concentrated on corruption at the federal level. Buhari anti corruption war is currently not active on state level and former governors. Since federal government was fully controlled by PDP in the last 16years, most corruption at federal level is PDP affair.

2. Buhari greatest interest is to recover fund. The best thing to do in this regard is to concentrate on areas where he can recover the highest amount of stolen fund. And that is federal government and are mostly PDP members.

3. It is almost impossible to prosecute all corrupt cases in Nigeria. So the need to give priority to those with the highest amount and easiest to prosecute. Thus corrupt cases with highest return are within the PDP

4. currently the NSA is the main focus of the anti corruption war at the moment. The reason being because of the amount of money involve and because Buhari govt believe they can recover some billions from the former NSA. Since the former NSA used most of the money for election affair, it is natural that majority of people involve are PDP members

5. maybe in the next two years when the anti corruption war go to state level, some APC members will be prosecuted.

6. We should also recognized that the govt has limited resources and personnel to fight the anti corruption war. so the need to select those that will give the highest impact per resources utilized.

7. It will be very naïve, unwise and stupid for Buhari to focus on corrupt practice of APC members right now. His govt is too young for that. he cannot fight everybody at once even if he wishes to . His govt will crumble if he try that right now. He need to run the govt with Nigerians not aliens. Almost every Nigerian that have held political office has skeleton in their cupboard. thus many APC members have corrupt past. But however this is not the best time for him to open APC members files. Doing that right now will be stupidity and naïve and will be bad for the country. Ability to select the best fight to fight at a time is wisdom and leadership.

8. It may appear unfair to PDP members. but to the Nigeria masses I believe it is fair. PDP were not fair to the masses when they were stealing our treasury dry. I strongly believe all the persons who stole are common wealth should be brought to book. Whether they are APC or PDP. However, since we cant do all in one day, we must start from somewhere and from those that will give the highest return and impact.

9.The fact that the anti corruption war is currently ignoring APC members does not mean the war is not sincere. It is only a pragmatic approach to a complex problem. When you have a lot of complex problem to solve, you ranked it and choose where to start from. That is currently what is going on.

10. The truth is that all the people who are shouting witch-hunting, "selective", "vendetta" want the anti corruption war to fail. If I have access to Buhari, I will tell him to completely ignore them. Those people want him to fight on all front so that he will lose and then come back to mock him.

11. I know some people will come and say it is hippocracy to currently ignore people like Tinubu etc in the anti-corruption war. But I choose to disagree with them. it is not hippocracy but pragmatism. Even if Buhari have an intention to open Tinubu files, this is not the best time to do it. That can wait for much later. A leader must focus on National interest. it will not be in the interest of Nigeria for tinubu files to be opened at this time should he have corrupt cases. Timing is a major component of decision making and leadership. if you do the right thing at wrong time, it is as good as a wrong thing. GEJ had the opportunity to jail Tinubu since PDP supporters keep making reference to him as corrupt man, yet GEJ could not. Tinubu was tried for corruption by code of conduct Bureau under GEJ govt. Tinubu won the case. Now you PDP supporters now think it is Buhari who Tinubu used his so called "corrupt money according to PDP supporters" to sponsor should now be the one to jail him!!! That is the worst form of hippocracy I have ever heard of.

12.I also know some people will argue about Atiku, Obasanjo etc and say why are they not being tried also. Just as I explain earlier, it is much easier to trace fund, files and documents of corrupt practice done in the last 4years than those done in the last 8 or 16years. So it is only practical to concentrate on the last 4 years at the moment. To me, this is wisdom.

13 We need to understand the post is not saying that APC members and older leaders (atiku, OBJ etc) corrupt practice should be ignored. The post is only talking about now. Which is at this current time (t), it is very wise to focus on immediate past PDP govt because it will benefit Nigeria as country more than doing otherwise right now. In the future, the anti corruption drive can spread to others. But now is not the time .

14. The fact that it may not be wise to look at past corrupt act of top APC members right now does not mean Buhari should tolerate massive corruption from his cabinet or ministers. Buhari must ensure any looting under his govt is not tolerated. Should any member of his cabinent be found wanting of corruption under his current govt, the person should be punished with no mercy.

15. I agree this is not the ideal case since everybody are equal before the law in ideal situation. but it is still better than GEJ mindset, who believe that since he cannot jail all corrupt people, everybody should go free. In his mind he was being fair. The truth is that, that was one of the greatest Injustice Jonathan did to Nigerian masses. That empowered every political leader to steal without any fear of consequence.
GEJ mindset was corruption did not start with me and so it is not me that will fight it.

16. As we hope for the best, we should appreciate what is better than the past. The more we the masses support Buhari anti corruption war, the bolder he will be in fighting it. The bolder he become the less selective he will become and the more APC members will be prosecuted.

17. For all those who claim Buhari is no saint and as such should not fight corruption should go and rethink and re-examine that point. I agree he is no saint. But there is no country in the world ruled by saints. If other countries like United State, China, France have succeded in reducing corruption in their countries by sinful men who are not saint, then Buhari is qualified to fight corruption. Except we want God to come down from heaven himself to come and fight Nigeria corruption. No country in the world was transformed by saint. They were all transformed by sinful men.

[b]Finally, Nigeria masses must rise up against PDP or else Nigeria will be doom forever should we allow PDP to pressure President Buhari to give up on his anti-Corruption war. We must understand that the current Buhari anti-corruption war will go a long way in ensuring that the current cabinent members of Buhari government perform with minimal stealing of our common wealth. Should we allow PDP to fustrate Buhari to give up on his anti- Corruption fight, I promise you, the current ministers and other public officials under the current APC government will grow very wild and steal our common wealth without any conscience or Fear with reckless abandon. We need to understand that Buhari is alone to a very large extent in this anti-corruption war. Many of Buhari cabinent members are secretely supporting PDP to fustrate the anti-corruption war. It benefits Buhari Ministers if the anti-corruption war fails. Nigeria masses must wake up to reality and understand that we are the one at the receiving end. Nigerians have been praying to God in churches, Mosque and Shrines for corruption in Nigeria to reduce. God have answered our prayers in Buhari. Let us not make the mistake of the Jews who God sent a messiah and Saviour Jesus Christ, but was rejected because he came to them as a son of an ordinary carpenter. Buhari may have come to us as someone without oratory skills with limited conventional education, but i strongly believe, he is the answer to Nigerians prayers on corruption.
[/b]
Re: Buhari’s Anti-corruption War: Sincere Or Witch Hunt? by Richardonald(m): 9:22am On Jan 09, 2016
There is nothing u can do that will please the world either good nor bad.as to buhari govern is sincere
Re: Buhari’s Anti-corruption War: Sincere Or Witch Hunt? by mars123(m): 10:53am On Jan 09, 2016
Witch-Hunt is a phrase used by people who have clouded their judgements with sentiments. Where in the world is putting corrupt people in jail termed witch hunt? If the opposition was even ready for a better Nigeria they would at least pretend to support the ''witch hunt''.

(1) (Reply)

More Photos Of Olisa Metuh In Court Today + Protesters Storm Court / Pipeline Bombing: I’ve No Axe To Grind With Tompolo – Ayiri Emami / Aluko's Bail Conditions Must Not Be Less Than $40m With Sureties In Like Sum

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.