Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,610 members, 7,809,234 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:14 AM

How To Naturally Repel Mosquitoes - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How To Naturally Repel Mosquitoes (1947 Views)

Using A N250 ($1.25) Rechargeable Torch To Repel Mosquitoes / How To Naturally Get Pink Lips. / How To Avoid Pregnancy Naturally (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Naturally Repel Mosquitoes by informat09(m): 11:22pm On Jun 17, 2009
The most common way of repelling or getting rid of mosquitoes involves spraying a large quantity of poisonous chemicals in your yard and on yourself. If you are interested in a more natural approach, consider these plants that repel mosquitoes.

Citronella Grass
Citronella grass is, of course, where companies get the citronella oil. This oil is put in candles and lanterns that can be burned in your yard to repel mosquitoes. Citronella grass is actually a tropic plant that grows to be six feet tall, so it might not be practical in the average suburban backyard.

Catnip
Catnip is an herb that is most commonly used to stuff in toys or feed to cats for their enjoyment. However, the oil from this plant has actually been found to be more than ten times better at repelling mosquitoes than DEET. Planting this plant near your patio or deck will help repel mosquitoes.

Rosemary
This garden herb also has an oil that repels mosquitoes. While they are attractive plants that both repel mosquitoes and can add interest to your cooking, they are truly tropical plants that are not hardy in cold climates. You can, however, grow rosemary in a pot and take it inside in the winter.

Marigolds
Marigolds have a particular smell that many insects and humans find objectionable. They are a good plant for repelling mosquitoes as well as insects that can attack vegetable plants and aphids. Marigolds are annuals with bright flowers that range from lemon yellow to dark oranges and reds.Planting marigolds around your yard works as a natural bug repellent because the flowers give off a fragrance bugs and flying insects do not like.
Re: How To Naturally Repel Mosquitoes by nogood: 6:21am On Jun 18, 2009
I tried putting rosemary (still planted in a pot) on my window panes, and so far I think it worked. I also tried the citronella scented candles, and they also worked but I just wanted to try the herbal stuff.

[size=1]Dental Visalia | Dentist Thousand Oaks[/size]

(1) (Reply)

How To Lose 2 To 4 Pounds A Week!!! / 5 Home Remedies For Whiter Teeth / Meet The Lady That Started the Whole Salt Water Rumour!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.