Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,627 members, 7,816,577 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:25 PM

Unbelievable!:japan Keeps Defunct Train Station Because Of One Passenger - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Unbelievable!:japan Keeps Defunct Train Station Because Of One Passenger (3161 Views)

IPOB Asks Schools To Teach History Of Defunct Eastern Region / SS Is Not Part Of Defunct Biafra- Ijaw Monarch Speaks Out! / Osinbajo Inspects Rigasa Train Station In Kaduna With El-rufai & Amaechi(pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Unbelievable!:japan Keeps Defunct Train Station Because Of One Passenger by okuya: 7:15pm On Jan 10, 2016
For years, there’s only been one passenger waiting at the Kami-Shirataki train station in the northernmost island of Hokkaido, Japan: A high-school girl, on her way to class. The train stops there only twice a day—once to pick up the girl and again to drop her off after the school day is over.

It sounds like a Hayao Miyazaki film. But according to CCTV News, it was a decision that Japan Railways—the group that operates the country’s railway network—made more than three years ago.

At that time, ridership at the Kami-Shirataki station had dramatically fallen because of its remote location, and freight service had ended there as well. Japan Railways was getting ready to shut the station down for good—until they noticed that it was still being used every day by the high-schooler. So they decided to keep the station open for her until she graduates. The company’s even adjusted the train’s timetable according to the girl’s schedule. The unnamed girl is expected to graduate this March, which is when the station will finally be closed.
People are tipping their hats to the Japanese government for making education a top priority. “Why should I not want to die for a country like this when the government is ready to go an extra mile just for me,” one commenter wrote on CCTV’s Facebook page. “This is the meaning of good governance penetrating right to the grassroot level. Every citizen matters. No Child left behind!”

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Unbelievable!:japan Keeps Defunct Train Station Because Of One Passenger by hedonistic: 7:33pm On Jan 10, 2016
These people (oyinbo and Oriental) are not our mates in anything meaningful. The only thing we have to brag about (in comparison to them) is dick size, which means nothing in the ultimate scheme of things.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Unbelievable!:japan Keeps Defunct Train Station Because Of One Passenger by missdebs(f): 7:51pm On Jan 10, 2016
sometimes I wonder why I was born here, God knows best sha

3 Likes

Re: Unbelievable!:japan Keeps Defunct Train Station Because Of One Passenger by vault(m): 7:52pm On Jan 10, 2016
loyalty....... one major aspect of governance

what excuse would you give not to serve a country like that undecided

9 Likes

Re: Unbelievable!:japan Keeps Defunct Train Station Because Of One Passenger by meezynetwork(m): 8:35pm On Jan 10, 2016
Why won't you give all ur all for a country like this. This is one reasons why Japanese are busy with how to make their country heaven on earth and forgeting about immoralities like fornications and other indecent acts. In Japan, the government entice the citizens to have sex cos most of them don't have time for that. In Japan, you see many 40yrs old Virgin. All their life has been on scientific researches. No time for indecency. Whereas the reverse is the case in third world countries like Nigeria. Every day, the most important things in the mind of a teenager is sex. How to sleep with the next target, smoking, drinking and other vices. Our problem is partly our fault and bad leadership/foundation.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Unbelievable!:japan Keeps Defunct Train Station Because Of One Passenger by momodub: 8:37pm On Jan 10, 2016
good governance penetrating right to the grass root level. Every citizen matters. No Child left behind!” END OF STORY,,

2 Likes

Re: Unbelievable!:japan Keeps Defunct Train Station Because Of One Passenger by tsdarkside(m): 8:41pm On Jan 10, 2016
now,this is what i call,service to the people....no matter how small or big....bravo japan.......
Re: Unbelievable!:japan Keeps Defunct Train Station Because Of One Passenger by Rossikk(m): 8:48pm On Jan 10, 2016
hedonistic:
These people (oyinbo and Oriental) are not our mates in anything meaningful. The only thing we have to brag about (in comparison to them) is dick size, which means nothing in the ultimate scheme of things.

Please just shut your inferior mentality lips. Japan could not do this 50 or 60 years ago when they were still struggling to feed their people, and neither could Europeans, who were busy slaughtering 120 million of themselves in last century's 'world' wars. It is only when nations have achieved advanced development, with high GDP per capita, that they can afford to do things like this. In a developing nation like Nigeria with huge priorities, it would be totally unsustainable and economic madness to keep a train station open for just one passenger. Simple Economics which some here are obviously too daft to consider.

If any of you were made transport minister, and you learnt that on one of our new train routes, one stop had just a single person using it, while 20 other stops had 6000+ people each, would you build a station in the first stop?

HELL NO YOU WOULDN'T. And if you did, it would amount to GROSS MISMANAGEMENT, for which you will be INVESTIGATED, and hopefully, JAILED.

But our people? Do they think? Do they reason beyond surface level?

''Hey! Look! Japan is doing it! Why can't we? You see? The only thing we can brag about is dick size!''

Such shallow, imbecilic thoughtlessness.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Unbelievable!:japan Keeps Defunct Train Station Because Of One Passenger by Chubhie: 8:49pm On Jan 10, 2016
These are the kinda stuffs we expect from buhari instead of civilian massacres.
Re: Unbelievable!:japan Keeps Defunct Train Station Because Of One Passenger by Pavore9: 8:58pm On Jan 10, 2016
This is service!
Re: Unbelievable!:japan Keeps Defunct Train Station Because Of One Passenger by coolzeal(m): 10:12pm On Jan 10, 2016
The responsibility for good government lies not just with governments themselves but also with every other part of the system they operate in, including media, non-governmental organisations and the public.. Nigeria died after the civil war.

1 Like

Re: Unbelievable!:japan Keeps Defunct Train Station Because Of One Passenger by demolinka(m): 10:16pm On Jan 10, 2016
Respect to the Japanese govt. Everybody matters. Everybody. Nigeria will get there soon too, someday.

1 Like

Re: Unbelievable!:japan Keeps Defunct Train Station Because Of One Passenger by robosky02(m): 10:20pm On Jan 10, 2016
okuya:
For years, there’s only been one passenger waiting at the Kami-Shirataki train station in the northernmost island of Hokkaido, Japan: A high-school girl, on her way to class. The train stops there only twice a day—once to pick up the girl and again to drop her off after the school day is over.

It sounds like a Hayao Miyazaki film. But according to CCTV News, it was a decision that Japan Railways—the group that operates the country’s railway network—made more than three years ago.

At that time, ridership at the Kami-Shirataki station had dramatically fallen because of its remote location, and freight service had ended there as well. Japan Railways was getting ready to shut the station down for good—until they noticed that it was still being used every day by the high-schooler. So they decided to keep the station open for her until she graduates. The company’s even adjusted the train’s timetable according to the girl’s schedule. The unnamed girl is expected to graduate this March, which is when the station will finally be closed.
People are tipping their hats to the Japanese government for making education a top priority. “Why should I not want to die for a country like this when the government is ready to go an extra mile just for me,” one commenter wrote on CCTV’s Facebook page. “This is the meaning of good governance penetrating right to the grassroot level. Every citizen matters. No Child left behind!”

issorite

hello bubu did you hear that

1 Like

Re: Unbelievable!:japan Keeps Defunct Train Station Because Of One Passenger by perculiarperson: 10:22pm On Jan 10, 2016
missdebs:

Hahahahahaha! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Unbelievable!:japan Keeps Defunct Train Station Because Of One Passenger by tsdarkside(m): 10:25pm On Jan 10, 2016
Rossikk:

Please just shut up your stupi.d inferior mentality lips. Japan could not do this 50 or 60 years ago when they were still struggling to feed their people, and neither could Europeans, who were busy slaughtering 120 million of themselves in last century's 'world' wars. It is only when nations have achieved advanced development, with high GDP per capita, that they can afford to do things like this. In a developing nation like Nigeria with huge priorities, it would be totally unsustainable and economic madness to keep a train station open for just one passenger. Simple Economics which some here are obviously to daft to consider.

If any of you were made transport minister, and you learnt that on one of our new train routes, one stop had just a single person using it, while 20 other stops had 6000+ people each, would you build a station in the first stop?

HELL NO YOU WOULDN'T. And if you did, it would amount to GROSS MISMANAGEMENT, for which you will be INVESTIGATED, and hopefully, JAILED.

''Hey! Look! Japan is doing it! Why can't we? You see? The only thing we can brag about is dick size!''

abegi..calm down...there is no way,anything built in nigeria will not be used...

we nigerians are very family-bound...that situation in japan,can not happen in nigeria......in just 1 year that area around the train-station would be overcrowded...we dont wait for progress to come to us,we run after progress....

2 Likes

Re: Unbelievable!:japan Keeps Defunct Train Station Because Of One Passenger by perculiarperson: 10:30pm On Jan 10, 2016
Rossikk:

Please just shut up your stupi.d inferior mentality lips. Japan could not do this 50 or 60 years ago when they were still struggling to feed their people, and neither could Europeans, who were busy slaughtering 120 million of themselves in last century's 'world' wars. It is only when nations have achieved advanced development, with high GDP per capita, that they can afford to do things like this. In a developing nation like Nigeria with huge priorities, it would be totally unsustainable and economic madness to keep a train station open for just one passenger. Simple Economics which some here are obviously to daft to consider.

I do not agree on your perspective but I respect the right to your opinion.

The station was useful until certain economic conditions changed which led them to the decision to close it (please read the write up again). However, who knows, if they have weighed the economics of scale which might have indicated a near zero or tolerable cost of running the service.

The thought to hope to see Nigeria at this level is laudable and should not be chastised.

Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: Unbelievable!:japan Keeps Defunct Train Station Because Of One Passenger by eposho: 10:36pm On Jan 10, 2016
Rossikk:

I read without looking at the writer, damn I checked ,its same old fool with same stupid idea ,your own words, thoughtless ness.

2 Likes

Re: Unbelievable!:japan Keeps Defunct Train Station Because Of One Passenger by Bhella5(m): 10:40pm On Jan 10, 2016
And some people think Japan is a paradise because of whaT they see on TV screen. Propaganda!
Re: Unbelievable!:japan Keeps Defunct Train Station Because Of One Passenger by bjjbam: 10:49pm On Jan 10, 2016
Very noble.
Re: Unbelievable!:japan Keeps Defunct Train Station Because Of One Passenger by jonathanOz: 10:56pm On Jan 10, 2016
Why should I not want to die for a country like this when the
government is ready to go an extra mile just for me,”

This made me smile and ask myself if I'm willing to die for Nigeria. I don't i am
Re: Unbelievable!:japan Keeps Defunct Train Station Because Of One Passenger by TonyeBarcanista(m): 11:12pm On Jan 10, 2016
While sane countries are making life easy for their citizens, Nigeria is frustrating the living day out of her own citizens. But we won't give up

1 Like

Re: Unbelievable!:japan Keeps Defunct Train Station Because Of One Passenger by Rossikk(m): 11:25pm On Jan 10, 2016
perculiarperson:

I do not agree on your perspective but I respect the right to your opinion.

The station was useful until certain economic conditions changed which led them to the decision to close it (please read the write up again). However, who knows, if they have weighed the economics of scale which might have indicated a near zero or tolerable cost of running the service.

The thought to hope to see Nigeria at this level is laudable and should not be chastised.

Thank you.

Look, Nigeria is Africa's biggest economy with an annual GDP of $529 billion.

By comparison, Japan's annual GDP is $5 TRILLION.

I mean, in sheer monetary terms, they are over 10 ten times richer than Nigeria.

So when you see them doing things like this, ie leaving one station open for one person alone to be using, you know where they're coming from. It's not something to beat ourselves up over. When WE get to be as rich as them, THEN we can start seeing such things in Nigeria. It's only a matter of time.

2 Likes

Re: Unbelievable!:japan Keeps Defunct Train Station Because Of One Passenger by DaBullIT(m): 11:34pm On Jan 10, 2016
My name is Chin fu Show

I am claiming citizen of japan
Re: Unbelievable!:japan Keeps Defunct Train Station Because Of One Passenger by Smartsyn(m): 11:35pm On Jan 10, 2016
This is too good to be true.
Re: Unbelievable!:japan Keeps Defunct Train Station Because Of One Passenger by Smartsyn(m): 11:53pm On Jan 10, 2016
Rossikk:

I mean, in sheer monetary terms, they are over 10 ten times richer than Nigeria.

So when you see them doing things like this, ie leaving one station open for one person alone to be using, you know where they're coming from. It's not something to beat ourselves up over. When WE get to be as rich as them, THEN we can start seeing such things in Nigeria. It's only a matter of time.

the structure in Nigeria is not working to attain that height even with time. Japan was like Nigeria before and wouldn't do such thing then as you said, agreed, but then worked towards improving their status and now there can do what ever they want because they can afford it.

Same cannot be said of Nigeria, even though still developing is not working to improve its status, like Japan.

I wonder how much time you're proposing we'll get there with the pace we're going.
Re: Unbelievable!:japan Keeps Defunct Train Station Because Of One Passenger by mekaboy(m): 12:00am On Jan 11, 2016
In Nigeria the govt will lock up ur goods in the market and demolish it.
Re: Unbelievable!:japan Keeps Defunct Train Station Because Of One Passenger by mekaboy(m): 12:03am On Jan 11, 2016
Rossikk:

We will never get to there with the way we are going. It caring for their citizens that made them rich and not money first. We put money first before the people. Where has it gotten. us?
Re: Unbelievable!:japan Keeps Defunct Train Station Because Of One Passenger by IPOB123london: 12:20am On Jan 11, 2016

'Hey! Look! Japan is doing it! Why can't we? You see? The only thing we can brag about is dick size!'

in your black mind

by the way who are WE

we em u mean your people WE

get your struff right

very important
Re: Unbelievable!:japan Keeps Defunct Train Station Because Of One Passenger by Viktor1983(m): 12:55am On Jan 11, 2016
That's a govt that cares about the masses. In Nigeria all we have is a govt that frustrates all your endeavours.
Re: Unbelievable!:japan Keeps Defunct Train Station Because Of One Passenger by LegatusGlaber(m): 1:56am On Jan 11, 2016
missdebs:

If you want green card, come and collect it grin

1 Like

Re: Unbelievable!:japan Keeps Defunct Train Station Because Of One Passenger by itstpia8: 2:09am On Jan 11, 2016
So?

their country, their rules.

How does this concern me? Am I in Japan?
Re: Unbelievable!:japan Keeps Defunct Train Station Because Of One Passenger by Rossikk(m): 2:28am On Jan 11, 2016
Smartsyn:
the structure in Nigeria is not working to attain that height even with time. Japan was like Nigeria before and wouldn't do such thing then as you said, agreed, but then worked towards improving their status and now there can do what ever they want because they can afford it.

Same cannot be said of Nigeria, even though still developing is not working to improve its status, like Japan.

I wonder how much time you're proposing we'll get there with the pace we're going.

You people make me laugh. Less than 20 years ago we were living under military jackboots, our country a pariah nation ruled by despots like Sani Abacha. A virtual banana republic shunned by Mandela and the international community. A place where opposition elements were brutalised, exiled, and murdered. A place with seemingly no prospects of real democracy. All polls were blatantly rigged.

Today, we've been a civilian democracy for 17 years straight - no coups - and we now hold free and fair elections routinely. Our ex-president is an international statesman, having shown Africa a great example of magnanimity in electoral defeat. Our current president is a financially prudent disciplinarian voted in freely by the people. Nigeria is now a byword for genuine African democracy. If THAT is not ''working to improve our status'', what the hell is?

And what makes you think this remarkable evolution in our politics will not lead to greater things? A good tree will yield good fruit.

If you don't acknowledge and appreciate the little progress you make, you will never succeed as a people.

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Biafran Who Lost Hands Still Holds Flag In Tears PICS / How Fayose Was Humiliated In Isan Ekiti / That Moment Nnamdi Kanu Was Infront Of Ebonyi State Government House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.