Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,147 members, 7,849,573 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 02:16 AM

Why Buhari Is Right In Detaining Nnamdi Kanu And Dasuki.... The Position Of Law - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Buhari Is Right In Detaining Nnamdi Kanu And Dasuki.... The Position Of Law (2268 Views)

Soldiers Seek Trial Of Okonjo-Iweala And Dasuki Over Arms Deal / Continuous Detention Of Nnamdi Kanu And Dasuki: Did FG Flout Any Law? / Shuaibu Salisu: I Delivered $47m In 11 Suitcases To Dasuki - The Nation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Buhari Is Right In Detaining Nnamdi Kanu And Dasuki.... The Position Of Law by Nobody: 2:52am On Jan 11, 2016
freeze001:
Paschal28

What is national security and who is empowered to decide what amounts to national security within the ambit and interpretation of the law?

Exactly how is the security of the country threatened by a demand for separation? How many people has Nnamdi or anyone by his instruction killed? What charges are against him presently?

There is a valid and subsisting order of court releasing him unconditionally! Subsequent charge to another court saw the judge bow out because Nnamdi Kanu did not see justice being served and rightfully so!
Invariably, there is nothing against him now and the order for immediate and unconditional release is still valid and subsisting!

Don't come here to preach sanctimonious crap if u are not abreast with the working of the law and the courts please. It is the position of the law that when a person is arrested he must be charged to court not later than 48hrs his arrest to be detained or admitted to court pending investigation/trial. He has been released unconditionally and no charges currently read against him so what is the justice in his continued detention?

Is it proper procedure to detain a suspect ad infinitum while shopping for charges and evidence especially when a pronouncement for his release has been made?

Do not begin to justify selective tyranny and impunity because in due time it will become the norm rather than the exception and then there would be no law to run to for cover because it has been regarded as expendable and so expended.

The president is empowered to decide what is National security. That is why he is the commander in chief. That makes him the chief security officer of Nigeria. I voted him to do that. just the same way Barrack Obama in the name of National Security send drones to kill American citizens in Yemen

1 Like

Re: Why Buhari Is Right In Detaining Nnamdi Kanu And Dasuki.... The Position Of Law by PASCHAL28: 6:16am On Jan 11, 2016
well, Dasuki apart from money laundering issues with FG, there are first and second charge of being in possession of fire arms which is equally a threat to national security. On Kanu,he is being charged of treasonable felony which is a national security issue. Have you listened to Radio Biafra. Have you heard the violence, inciting words and what have you that is coming out from this guy. LOL....... He has entered ooooo... The only solution to this, is political settlement. You can ask Asari Dokunbo what happened to him during Obasanjo Regime when He threatened the corporate existence of the country. Abiola despite winning the 1993 Election which we all know, but because NEC led by Prof Nwosu did not declare him winner,he went ahead to pronounce himself as President of Nigeria. He was arrested and charged for treasonable felony. See Umunnem, there are rules of engagement. The worst thing that happened to Kanu is to allow DSS to apprehend him. An Igbo adage says He who fights and run away,lives to fight another day. That was what Ojukwu did when Biafra war was too much for him.
Re: Why Buhari Is Right In Detaining Nnamdi Kanu And Dasuki.... The Position Of Law by PASCHAL28: 6:36am On Jan 11, 2016
Did Kanu Really Commit Treason?
What constitute treason in Nigeria? The offence of treason can be found in sections 37 to 49 of the Nigeria criminal code.

According to section 37(1) of the Nigeria criminal code; Any person who levies war against the State, in order to intimidate or overawe the President or the Governor of a State, is guilty of treason, and is liable to the punishment of death. Section 37(2) further stated that Any person conspiring
with any person, either within or without Nigeria, to levy war against the State with intent to cause such levying of war as would be treason if committed by a citizen of Nigeria, is guilty of treason and is liable to the punishment of death:.

Through radio biafra, Kanu preached inciting messages and even went as far as soliciting for arms with intent to wage war against the State. This was captured in a video that has gone viral. I think that breached section 37(2) of Nigeria criminal code(in my opinion). It is however left for the judge to make pronouncement. for those that asked me the question, yes he did. Biafra is of the mind
Re: Why Buhari Is Right In Detaining Nnamdi Kanu And Dasuki.... The Position Of Law by PASCHAL28: 6:39am On Jan 11, 2016
On Colonel Sambo Dasuki...
Did the DSS contravene any law or disobeyed the court by re-arresting Sambo Dasuki? I don't think so. The Court judgement of December 21 granted Sambo Dasuki and others bail in a N9billion fraud case. Though Dasuki and others were released from prison after meeting bail condition, he was re-arrested after stepping out of prison.

We have to note that the bail was respected by the DSS but unfortunately for him(Dasuki), the judgement of the court didn't grant him any immunity from further arrest. Hence, the government committed no offence in re-arresting him. But why is he even looking for bail when he should be more concerned with clearing his name as regards the $2.2billion arms fund that he allegedly looted with his friends? Why should a "big thief" be using bail to walk free while a poor man languish in prison for years on "awaiting-trial"? I think the government should be encouraged to re-arrest him each time he's granted bail.

I don't believe in abuse of the law but I believe that people should be encouraged to keep off from crimes while the government must be encouraged to fight alleged criminals with the law irrespective of who the perpetrator is.

It is my opinion that Messrs Kanu, Dasuki and others should prepare their defence and prove their innocence before the judge.

1 Like

Re: Why Buhari Is Right In Detaining Nnamdi Kanu And Dasuki.... The Position Of Law by freeze001(f): 6:42am On Jan 11, 2016
tuale4u:

The president is empowered to decide what is National security. That is why he is the commander in chief. That makes him the chief security officer of Nigeria. I voted him to do that. just the same way Barrack Obama in the name of National Security send drones to kill American citizens in Yemen

There is a thing called a contextual question . My question was posed within a context...understand it and maybe try rephrasing ur response if u care to.

Referring to Obama and Yemen is quite laughable. Is his actions on Yemen and others subject to the jurisdiction of the court?
Re: Why Buhari Is Right In Detaining Nnamdi Kanu And Dasuki.... The Position Of Law by tsdarkside(m): 7:43am On Jan 11, 2016
Duru1:

It is intellectually irresponsible to intertwine the case of Sambo Dasuki with that of Nnamdi Kanu. Besides, Dasuki case is a matter of embezzlement which Muhammadu Buhari benefitted in one way or the other. It is only in country with absolute no future that mere embezzlement of fund or agitation of independent state becomes a matter of national security. May I ask what charges have been brought against Boko Haram fighters? Why have those people such as Muhammadu Buhari who had spoken in favor and on behalf of Boko Haram, which is a brazen threat to the so-called national security, not been arrested?

it is a matter of national security,because innocent people died because of his actions or unactions as someone with that duty....are soldiers not innocent civilians..??...soldiers were first civilians than soldiers..dasuki was giving money to equip them to reduce casualites,he didnt do it well...

its people that mix Sambo Dasuki and Nnamdi Kanu case toghether...

Sambo Dasuki didnt do the job he was paid for...
Nnamdi Kanu is just a terrorist with hubris issues......
Re: Why Buhari Is Right In Detaining Nnamdi Kanu And Dasuki.... The Position Of Law by ogmaskman: 8:51am On Jan 11, 2016
kropotkin2:
you see my friend, one fundamental flaw in that particular supreme court judgement is the fact that the so called "National security threat" is subject to the interpretation of the very executive arm of government that is doing the accusing. This is a very dangerous precedent and should be discouraged. The executive should never have the final say on what constitutes a genuine "national security threat" because it could be subjected to very serious abuse

I hear pple say buhari and the dss flouted court orders but looking at the bolded, I think they never did.
Re: Why Buhari Is Right In Detaining Nnamdi Kanu And Dasuki.... The Position Of Law by omonnakoda: 4:51pm On Jan 16, 2016
Duru1:

It is intellectually irresponsible to intertwine the case of Sambo Dasuki with that of Nnamdi Kanu. Besides, Dasuki case is a matter of embezzlement which Muhammadu Buhari benefitted in one way or the other. It is only in country with absolute no future that mere embezzlement of fund or agitation of independent state becomes a matter of national security. May I ask what charges have been brought against Boko Haram fighters? Why have those people such as Muhammadu Buhari who had spoken in favor and on behalf of Boko Haram, which is a brazen threat to the so-called national security, not been arrested?

Dende How is the new sanatorium?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Revealed!!! People Behind Niger Delta Avengers / Rep To US Ambassador: I Couldn’t Even Hav Sex So Why Would I Seek A Prostitute? / Gov Okowa Commissions Arthur O Okafor(san) Avenue, Hotel De Copperfield Located

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.