Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,441 members, 7,816,004 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:20 PM

South Africans Visiting Nigeria For The First Time - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / South Africans Visiting Nigeria For The First Time (1583 Views)

What Are The Requirements For A Foreigner Visiting Nigeria To Marry Her Man? / RE: South African Visiting Nigeria (LAGOS) For The First Time, AMAZING!!! / Nigerians Confront South Africans With Guns In Pretoria - Facebook User (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

South Africans Visiting Nigeria For The First Time by GodmotherBlanco(f): 8:15am On Jan 11, 2016
I am a South African woman and I will be vacationing in Nigeria in March.

The reason for this post is to try and prepare myself for my visit. I would really appreciate it if I could get answers for my questions.

1) The Nigerians staying in Douth Africa (psrticularly Cape Yown) could highlight tje differences between SA and Naija. (Please include which area in Nigeria you're uding for comparisons)

2) I could get the top ten "must see" places and other experiences. I'm not only looking to have a flashy experience; I want to experience Nigeria in it's entirety so please try to have a broad spectrum of places to visit.

3) What is the relationshio between (black) South Africans and Nigerians? (In light of the horrific xenophobic attacks that occured in Durban last year *and previously*.) Will I be at the risk of backlash?

4) What are the stereotypes about South African women?

5) How much should I have to enjoy a comfortable, fun and somewhat long stay in Nigeria?

6) Which is the best city to be based in for the duration of my stay? The most comfortable yet cost effective hotel in said area?

7) Am I safe as travelling alone as a womsn? (Rape and other gender based crimes are rampant in SA. Is it safer in Nigeria?)

cool Police harrassment. Will I exempt as a foreigner or should I brace myself?

9) Also. Who's teaching me how to dance? Because I swear I become transfixed when I see Nigerians dancing.

Lastly... I hope my post is received in thebsame spirit that I created it. I intend no malice or to incite negative exchanges
Re: South Africans Visiting Nigeria For The First Time by adren(m): 8:58am On Jan 11, 2016
i dunno your standard of living but nigeria is so much fun and safe and condusive for foreigners..
nigerians hold them with high esteem and respect as long as you treat them with one too..

your security shouldnt be a major problem except you want to go to the war-ridden north eatern parts..

if you are looking to enjoy your time here as a tourist, i will advice you to have an 'accompanee' who would be there to show you the way, lead you on and understands some basic language..

i know of an online company that renders such services here in nigeria.. they are registered with CAC, so you have no worries..

you can quote me if you need more details.. i am willing to help

1 Like

Re: South Africans Visiting Nigeria For The First Time by Chanchit: 9:01am On Jan 11, 2016
I wish I have the whole time to reply all your questions but be rest assured that nobody has the time to ask where you are from, you being black makes it even better. An average Nigerian cares more about making money, no time for racial discrimination.

I would advice you come to Lagos, I don't have a particular reason though, but Lagos could also be less expensive compared to Abuja.

There are many places to visit depending on your personality.

About hotel booking, use google for that, you can get very affordable ones considering the fact that Naira keeps falling everyday.

I can bet nobody would be out to rape you if you are not looking out to being raped.

You can target hotels on the mainland, cos the ones on the island could be quit expensive, and mainland is in the centre of Lagos

1 Like

Re: South Africans Visiting Nigeria For The First Time by Nobody: 9:15am On Jan 11, 2016
Hi Godmother. It's really nice that you are thinking of vacationing in Nigeria and I think you will surely enjoy the experience. Nigerians are a very accommodating people so as regards your safety I can tell you that the average Nigerian has got no beef whatsoever with a South African, so you are very much in safety here. But you would still need to be a little cautious of your personal well being. As regards must see place's we've got the Obudu cattle Ranch located in Calabar & lots of other interesting sites (Google should be of help here). As regards the best city for you to be based during your vacation. Well I'd suggest you come down to Lagos which is the entertainment capital of West Africa if not the whole of Africa *lol*. On the stereotypes of Nigerian men towards south African ladies, well in this area you have nothing to worry about. We are quite friendly towards guests in our country. In fact you might not want to go back home when we pull our magic(not talking about voodoo here *winks*) on you. As to police harassment I'd say you have no reason to be bothered. You just take the normal precaution the tourist in your country would take in this regard .Finally to the amount needed for a comfortable stay in Nigeria. Well it kind of varies from city to city but anyways I'd advise you start making your budget with hotel reservation costs. That way you know how to handle the rest.
Ps: If you want to learn our various dance steps, come to Lagos. Best of luck
Re: South Africans Visiting Nigeria For The First Time by Nobody: 9:39am On Jan 11, 2016
2. National Theatre, Lagos,
National Museum, Lagos,
Obudu cattle ranch, Calabar
Olumo rock, Abeokuta, Ogun state
Erin-Ijesha waterfalls, Osun state
Ikogosi Warm spring, Ekiti
Black Heritage Museum badagry, Lagos You can also use the time to visit the slave trade center, Badagry
university of Ibadan Zoo, Oyo state
Silverbird Cinemas, Lagos
The beaches, most especially Bar beach.

Google about these places, you'll find more Info

3. Nigerians flow with anybody most especially blacks. We don't care where you are from.

4. No answer

5. Depends on what you are planning to do or where you are planning to stay and how long. You can get cheap hotels from #5000 - #20000 depending on Location.

6. I've spent most of my life in southwestern Nigeria, So i'll say Lagos. But to be honest, it's the place place for a tourist and someone who wants to know Nigeria. There are no monopoly of tribes or people here. Every single tribe in Nigeria is largely represented here in Lagos.

7. You have no problems travelling alone. But i'll advice you avoid walking alone in secluded areas during the night time. Walking there doesn't mean you'll be raped, it's just a preventive method.

8. Police harassment? I'd have given you a 100% assurance if you were white. But all the same, as a foreigner, you have nothing to worry about. All Nigerians including Policemen have utmost respect for Foreign tourists. Except of course, you are from Chad or Niger. Just kidding.

9. I wish i could. There are some dance clubs in Lagos or better still ask your hotel. They might be able to help. You could even get a volunteer here in nairaland, if you are willing to pay. I doubt a Nigerian will do it free for you
Re: South Africans Visiting Nigeria For The First Time by IshiaguGuy: 5:40pm On Jan 12, 2016
i can take you arround lagos for free
Re: South Africans Visiting Nigeria For The First Time by ziinee: 8:42am On Jan 13, 2016
Walking alone in places even in the night is far far safer than your imaginable experiences.of course there are touts in every african country.cheers.
Re: South Africans Visiting Nigeria For The First Time by londoner: 12:26am On Jan 16, 2016
OP....

I would say Lagos, Calabar and ABUJA. You are a woman like me and I've just returned from one month in Abuja and it was fantastic. I can put you in touch with the lady who owns the place I stayed with and trust me she will look after you. The accommodation is on airbnb and I recommend it.

As far as entertainment people say Lagos is live. Abuja is calmer and safer but you can pretty much do the same things.I met many people from other African countries, Europe, UK and America.
I love the fact that you are from SA and looking to come to Naija. If you are going to Abuja on your trip I will share with you my itinerary.
Re: South Africans Visiting Nigeria For The First Time by londoner: 12:52am On Jan 16, 2016
2-

Some of my top places to visit in Abj

Millennium Park- its a great park in the middle of the city often holding events

Recreational parks - these parks are everywhere and basically serve as relaxation fun spots in the evening with food, live music, dancers etc

Art museums- my fave was called the pyramid and it has a lovely restaurant next door

Jabi lake fitness- every Saturday morning this park turns into a fitness hub with hundreds of men, women and children getting fit. There are various groups led by professionals with massive sound systems blaring out the latest afro beats tunes for afrobeat aerobics. This made my trip......everyone was so friendly and hilarious.

There was also yoga, Thai chi etc

Clubs- didn't club that much its not my thing. But did go to Vanilla, club 42, Caribbean. There are many more but in Abuja every day is not a club day like Lagos.

Arts village where you can buy art, clothing and gifts

Trukadero- food and bowling- they had a rock and bowl event where you could bowl with a 'celebrity' and it was solo chill lots of music and DJ's

1 Like

Re: South Africans Visiting Nigeria For The First Time by Pidggin(f): 2:59am On Jan 16, 2016
As long as you are a black South African you will be fine. Calabar is a nice, quiet and safe place to visit, you can use Google to get information about places that might interest you. Lagos and Abuja are not bad too.
Re: South Africans Visiting Nigeria For The First Time by OhiGentle(m): 5:19am On Jan 16, 2016
GodmotherBlanco:
I am a South African woman and I will be vacationing in Nigeria in March.

The reason for this post is to try and prepare myself for my visit. I would really appreciate it if I could get answers for my questions.

1) The Nigerians staying in Douth Africa (psrticularly Cape Yown) could highlight tje differences between SA and Naija. (Please include which area in Nigeria you're uding for comparisons)

2) I could get the top ten "must see" places and other experiences. I'm not only looking to have a flashy experience; I want to experience Nigeria in it's entirety so please try to have a broad spectrum of places to visit.

3) What is the relationshio between (black) South Africans and Nigerians? (In light of the horrific xenophobic attacks that occured in Durban last year *and previously*.) Will I be at the risk of backlash?

4) What are the stereotypes about South African women?

5) How much should I have to enjoy a comfortable, fun and somewhat long stay in Nigeria?

6) Which is the best city to be based in for the duration of my stay? The most comfortable yet cost effective hotel in said area?

7) Am I safe as travelling alone as a womsn? (Rape and other gender based crimes are rampant in SA. Is it safer in Nigeria?)

cool Police harrassment. Will I exempt as a foreigner or should I brace myself?

9) Also. Who's teaching me how to dance? Because I swear I become transfixed when I see Nigerians dancing.

Lastly... I hope my post is received in thebsame spirit that I created it. I intend no malice or to incite negative exchanges

My dear, since you are just coming for a vacation please kindly find your way to Obudu mountain resort and just have a good time there.

Lagos is one crazy hectic town to stay except you just want to see crazy things. Abuja is very peaceful compared to Lagos but not much fun. Just go to Calabar like I have advised you because there you will also meet alot of holiday makers both Nigerian and other foreigners and I can assure you of a really wonderful holiday in Nigeria.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Medview Airline Flight From Lagos To Gatwick / Abraham Adesanya Housing Estate Flooded / 5 Jobs That Can Land You An Australian Visa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.