Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,579 members, 7,812,892 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:24 PM

What Do Nigerians (or Africans) Think Of West Indians (caribbean People)? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Do Nigerians (or Africans) Think Of West Indians (caribbean People)? (3443 Views)

Why Are Nigerians Or Africans Not Wealthy - Jewish German Reveals ! / Are White People To Blame For Slavery Or Africans / Criticizing Buhari Over "President Michelle Of West Germany" Gaffe Is Ignorant. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Do Nigerians (or Africans) Think Of West Indians (caribbean People)? by queeniecreole: 12:29pm On Jan 11, 2016
I just want an honest opinion of what Nigerians think of Caribbean people. I am half West Indian, half Nigerian- However I was brought up on my Caribbean side and know the culture and have grown up with it.

I don't really know anything much about my Nigerian side, However on my Nigerian Side - They like to make fun of Caribbean people all the time! My dad is Nigerian , he already has 4 children with West Indian women, but makes fun of West Indians all the time. It's annoying and hurtful and I always feel like I don't fit on that side of the family.

My Caribbean family are welcoming however, they don't really like Africans that much and sometimes makes fun of them, and it makes me feel upset. It's like my Caribbean family think they are better because they are Lighter and Mixed. And my Nigerian family think they are better because they are full blooded 100% Naija - whereas I am not. undecided

When I was younger I was made to feel that being African or associated with Africa as something shameful - It's so sad. I just want to be accepted by both sides of my family!!!! cry

So what is your opinion on African / Caribbean relations?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Do Nigerians (or Africans) Think Of West Indians (caribbean People)? by robinicule(m): 12:36pm On Jan 11, 2016
Hmmm..U joined nairaland today and you already know how to make a topic.

4 Likes

Re: What Do Nigerians (or Africans) Think Of West Indians (caribbean People)? by queeniecreole: 12:37pm On Jan 11, 2016
Lol yes, because I'm always on this Website - but I never signed up until now grin

1 Like

Re: What Do Nigerians (or Africans) Think Of West Indians (caribbean People)? by Nobody: 12:45pm On Jan 11, 2016
queeniecreole:
I just want an honest opinion of what Nigerians think of Caribbean people. I am half West Indian, half Nigerian- However I was brought up on my Caribbean side and know the culture and have grown up with it.

I don't really know anything much about my Nigerian side, However on my Nigerian Side - They like to make fun of Caribbean people all the time! My dad is Nigerian , he already has 4 children with West Indian women, but makes fun of West Indians all the time. It's annoying and hurtful and I always feel like I don't fit on that side of the family.

My Caribbean family are welcoming however, they don't really like Africans that much and sometimes makes fun of them, and it makes me feel upset. It's like my Caribbean family think they are better because they are Lighter and Mixed. And my Nigerian family think they are better because they are full blooded 100% Naija - whereas I am not. undecided

When I was younger I was made to feel that being African or associated with Africa as something shameful - It's so sad. I just want to be accepted by both sides of my family!!!! cry

Before I say anything you have to answer my question; "your papa na Yoruba?"
Re: What Do Nigerians (or Africans) Think Of West Indians (caribbean People)? by coolzeal(m): 12:45pm On Jan 11, 2016
I think the women are beautiful, exotic and sexy irrespective of the island they come from. Although, most people assumed all Jamaicans are wild and smoke blunt LOL.
You need to worry more about your well-being and learn the cultures to have best of both worlds. Too many ignorant people in the world.

2 Likes

Re: What Do Nigerians (or Africans) Think Of West Indians (caribbean People)? by Nobody: 12:47pm On Jan 11, 2016
West Indians are Indians from southern part of punjab that drinks a lot of coconut water mixed with spices

2 Likes

Re: What Do Nigerians (or Africans) Think Of West Indians (caribbean People)? by queeniecreole: 12:59pm On Jan 11, 2016
What Makes Caribbean Women Exotic grin LOL And Thank God I'm not Jamican - to be honest they haven't got the best reputation in the Caribbean..

1 Like

Re: What Do Nigerians (or Africans) Think Of West Indians (caribbean People)? by queeniecreole: 1:00pm On Jan 11, 2016
Woodcook My dad is not Yoruba He's Igbo grin tongue

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Do Nigerians (or Africans) Think Of West Indians (caribbean People)? by Rossikk(m): 2:37pm On Jan 11, 2016
Nigerians are largely ignorant of Caribbean people. Not very many know anything about the place beyond Bob Marley and ganja. One reason is because they are really just small islands with tiny populations and very little presence in international affairs. When last did anyone see the news on Jamaica, or St Lucia, or Barbados? I think Nollywood has helped educate Caribbean populations on what Africa is really like beyond the news reports. That has helped to bridge the gap somewhat.

4 Likes

Re: What Do Nigerians (or Africans) Think Of West Indians (caribbean People)? by Slikbae: 2:54pm On Jan 11, 2016
I just know they look like us. Met one at Doha-Qatar last year and was supposed when she said she wasn't Nigerian or even African. I could've sworn she was Nigerian.
Re: What Do Nigerians (or Africans) Think Of West Indians (caribbean People)? by Nobody: 6:11pm On Jan 11, 2016
queeniecreole:
Lol yes, because I'm always on this Website - but I never signed up until now grin

the only thing most Nigerians know about the Caribbean is Bob Marley and marijuana.

1 Like

Re: What Do Nigerians (or Africans) Think Of West Indians (caribbean People)? by Nobody: 6:54pm On Jan 11, 2016
queeniecreole:

To start with most Nigerians don't know much about the West Indies mainly for economic reasons. Nigerians are mostly interested about places where the grasses appear to be greener than down here. As for your dad making fun of the west indies I think it is in their blood, Nigerians more especially the Igbos are proud people. Most Nigerians think they are better than everyone else, I wonder what would have been the fate of others if for some stroke of luck our economy becomes number one in the world?

Anyways I think it is time you talk to your dad to bring you home at least for a visit (assuming he has not done that already) so you start getting to know about your Nigerian root. Its not only afford you the opportunity to visit your father land but I can assure you will learn a lot visiting Nigeria and you sure would get a new perspective.

On the side note I don't mean to be insulting but you should tell your dad to stop having kids with different women (unless you all live together and he is giving everyone of you including the wife all the attention and care you people deserve).

To all guys out there please do not have kids all over the place just because you want kapali. Please think about the children and the possible emotional trauma you are likely going to cause them. I know it could be tough and seems to be the only way out but please do not put innocent kids and gullible ladies through such trauma. You may not be there to clean after yourself but it sure leaves a load crap of mess for genuine men to clean up.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Do Nigerians (or Africans) Think Of West Indians (caribbean People)? by queeniecreole: 10:08pm On Jan 13, 2016
Woodcook, Yeah, he has 4 children from Caribbean women, including me. He hasn't got any more children and isn't planning to, since he is 50+ grin

But he has got married to Naija women, and it never seems to work out - only his current one seems ok on the outside..

Slikbae, There are some Caribbean people that look Nigerian but most don't. But I have seen many Jamicans that look like they could be Nigerian - except Jamicans hate Nigerians and Nigerians seem to not like Jamicans lol!
But none of my Caribbean family look Nigerian - they look Mix - It depends on the Island and the family history of the person.

1 Like

Re: What Do Nigerians (or Africans) Think Of West Indians (caribbean People)? by ki02020(m): 10:20pm On Jan 13, 2016
West indies Caribbean? Thought jamaica trinidad and tobago,bahama and co are the caribbieans
Re: What Do Nigerians (or Africans) Think Of West Indians (caribbean People)? by nwajesuso5: 11:02pm On Jan 13, 2016
queeniecreole:
hw long hv ur dad been living in d carib, cuz he seem 2 loose touch wit igbo culture. Having kids simulteaneously wit different women z an irresponsible act in igboland.

3 Likes

Re: What Do Nigerians (or Africans) Think Of West Indians (caribbean People)? by OreMI22: 12:15am On Jan 14, 2016
Slikbae:
I just know they look like us. Met one at Doha-Qatar last year and was supposed when she said she wasn't Nigerian or even African. I could've sworn she was Nigerian.

Lol, not all Caribbeans look African.
Have you seen Puerto Rican girls? O'l boy, that is why even Uche Jumbo married one of them.

I personally prefer Caribbean blacks to the others. We have similar experience, world view and food. Haitians even believe in juju like some Naija and Africans.
I believe this chic is half Haitian. Only Haitians are proud of their African heritage and they are one of the few unadulterated African species in the Caribbean. Perhaps, that is why they were impoverished by the world powers and their most productive lands ceded to Dominican Republic

2 Likes

Re: What Do Nigerians (or Africans) Think Of West Indians (caribbean People)? by Ecoterrorism(f): 12:42am On Jan 14, 2016
queeniecreole:
don't accept any pm because there are a lot of perverts and scammers here.

@ topic. Nigerians always feel superior and smart everywhere they find themselves. They are the best and the worst of this black race. Focus on what your goals are and don't mind the racist who are toying with your head

2 Likes

Re: What Do Nigerians (or Africans) Think Of West Indians (caribbean People)? by Nobody: 1:01am On Jan 14, 2016
take a trip to Nigeria and find out. you might just be pleasantly surprised.
Re: What Do Nigerians (or Africans) Think Of West Indians (caribbean People)? by Nobody: 1:39am On Jan 14, 2016
Hey Queenie, pm me and see what you missing from a big,strong,long and reliable naija man.
Re: What Do Nigerians (or Africans) Think Of West Indians (caribbean People)? by onoja12: 5:11am On Jan 14, 2016
having toured the Caribbean, I can tell you this Nigerians have no problem with the Caribbean but rather they try to help the Caribbean in anyway they can but the Caribbean especially the blacks seem to have a problem with Nigerians. first they think a black man is stupid or wants to scam them but they willingly worship the whites and they whites feed on them, control them manipulate them in fact the list is endless, I have never seen that kind before, second they have deep slave mentality to the extent they go around fabricating stories on how Africans don't like them when they are the once who have no knowledge of Africa, they don't want to travel.but they seem to be masters at what they watched on CNN a point in note I can remember going to an African association in one of the countries and they were playing Yoruba music lead by a professor of African studies who studied in the united states but has never been to Africa, yet he actually lead them to believe that the music is from Ghana because for some reason which I haven't figured out they all want to claim they came from Ghana or Ethiopia or Angola, when the truth is that most of them came from west Africa especially what is today called Nigeria, mostly ijaw, urobo and Yoruba. the Caribbean's especially the blacks are slow retrogress thinkers, they like to steal ideas when they have no idea how to implement it and lastly the people in the Caribbean actually think Nigeria is one poor country, when most countries in the Caribbean cant out do states like Kogi not to talk of comparing it with more advance states. that is my humble opinion
take my advice forget what your mother has been feeding you like you said you have never been to Nigeria, so what you should do is take a flight to Nigeria, please note: Nigeria is probably the smartest black nation in the world so come with your thinking cap or else

queeniecreole:

1 Like

Re: What Do Nigerians (or Africans) Think Of West Indians (caribbean People)? by leke12(m): 6:34am On Jan 14, 2016
Nigerians are the smartest people on earth especially the southern region! Our problem is bad leadership couple with worse followers, if not you caribbeans would have been begging for our visa. But at least most states here are richer than ur countries

1 Like

Re: What Do Nigerians (or Africans) Think Of West Indians (caribbean People)? by talktimi(m): 6:54am On Jan 14, 2016
Nothing wrong with the Caribbean people na, I like them alot especially their English intonations but there's really nothing wrong about where a person comes from, it all boils down to his/her character at the end of the day.

1 Like

Re: What Do Nigerians (or Africans) Think Of West Indians (caribbean People)? by MrBLING(m): 7:27am On Jan 14, 2016
We should try not to stereotype people based on the colour of their skin country of origin etc. What matters more is each individual whether they have a good heart or not.

Not all West Indians dislike Nigerians/Africans and vice versa. Some of my best friends were and are from the caribbeans. Similarly I have come across some that were hostile, but a closer look revealed that they are also nasty to people from other cultures and even to their fellow caribbeans. It all boils down to upbringing and self esteem issues.

We should also realize that the caribbeans is very diverse although Jamaicans form the largest population. I even met a white Jamaican the other day smiley
Re: What Do Nigerians (or Africans) Think Of West Indians (caribbean People)? by Nobody: 7:28am On Jan 14, 2016
Discover ur self and live that way,don't give a damn about anybody.As 4 nigerians we are more welcoming especially the igbos than any other race in the world.thank me latter
Re: What Do Nigerians (or Africans) Think Of West Indians (caribbean People)? by ISpiksDaTroof: 10:02am On Jan 14, 2016
queeniecreole:

[b]I don't really know anything much about my Nigerian side, However on my Nigerian Side - They like to make fun of Caribbean people all the time! [/b]My dad is Nigerian , he already has 4 children with West Indian women, but makes fun of West Indians all the time. It's annoying and hurtful and I always feel like I don't fit on that side of the family.

The bolded is conflicting.
Re: What Do Nigerians (or Africans) Think Of West Indians (caribbean People)? by ISpiksDaTroof: 10:03am On Jan 14, 2016
queeniecreole:

The bolded is conflicting.
Re: What Do Nigerians (or Africans) Think Of West Indians (caribbean People)? by grafikii: 10:18am On Jan 14, 2016
nwajesuso5:
hw long hv ur dad been living in d carib, cuz he seem 2 loose touch wit igbo culture. Having kids simulteaneously wit different women z an irresponsible act in igboland.
Ojukwu and nnamdi kanu must be very irresponsible judging by this post.
Re: What Do Nigerians (or Africans) Think Of West Indians (caribbean People)? by seunny4lif(m): 10:48am On Jan 14, 2016
grin
They hate anything Africa angry
Re: What Do Nigerians (or Africans) Think Of West Indians (caribbean People)? by kingsavage: 10:10pm On Nov 13, 2020
seunny4lif:
grin They hate anything Africa angry
why?

(1) (Reply)

How The "Unseen Hands" Used Buhari To Bring Biafra--chuks Ikedigwe / IPOB Women Conference Ongoing In Abiriba, Abia State....pics / Breaking: At Last Nnamdi Kanu Is Found- Bishop Edwin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.