Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,474 members, 7,830,383 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:48 PM

Help Please. On Portal - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Help Please. On Portal (797 Views)

[HELP] Please What Is Wrong With My Website? Lalasticlala / Help!!! Please Who Knows How To Add A Clickable Background Image On .com / Help Please: Review This Site Www.queenccollections.com (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help Please. On Portal by slimjo: 3:34pm On Jun 18, 2009
sorry i had to ask this way,
I am currently handling a portal for a secondary school, am stuck in the aspect of allowing students to check their results from the database.
I have already built the pages and navigations are in place. MYSQL database in place, but the problem is how to allow individual student check their results from this database with a username (ID) and a password(KEY). am currently using php for my server integration. please help me on this and advice wat i should do.
maybe some one could tell me how to go about allowing this individual student check their results.
Thanks in anticipation
Re: Help Please. On Portal by segsalerty(m): 4:22pm On Jun 18, 2009
you need to use thesame php to fetch students results to be displayed ,
you identify each student with his/her id & password to fetch his/her result from the database ,
then display it on the page you want it to appear ,
hope this helps .
sorry i cant just start writting up codes here ,
you that have almost got the project done should understand this lil tip , i guess thats all you need
Re: Help Please. On Portal by yawatide(f): 4:46pm On Jun 18, 2009
slimjo,

This is a taaaaall order. It starts with you showing us your database structure. I assume you have tables for the students, the classes and maybe even the term(s) in question. I also assume the database is properly normalized.

You allow them to see their results by storing say, the unique id of the student in a session variable and querying the database against this variable. If there is a match, you present the page with that student's results. And lest I forget, before even matching, you need to make sure that the student is actually logged in.

As I said, it's a tall order but hopefully my explanation will help steer you in the right path.

Good luck!
Re: Help Please. On Portal by segsalerty(m): 4:53pm On Jun 18, 2009
thought he said
slimjo:

I am currently handling a portal for a secondary school, am stuck in the aspect of allowing students to check their results from the database.
I have already built the pages and navigations are in place. MYSQL database in place, but the problem is how to allow individual student check their results from this database with a username (ID) and a password(KEY).

so, he should know what should be done before writitng up his help this way
Re: Help Please. On Portal by slimjo: 10:29am On Jun 20, 2009
I quiet appreciate all yur contribution, but actually I haven't handle such a big and unique project on php, dats becos am a ActionScript freak,
I have built the database using mysql, but wat i really want to know is how to extract this information, lets a unique information from the database. u know is quiet going to be taskful and requires some level of professionalism in PHP.
so wat am trying to ask for, is a clue or better still a demo on how i can do this.
@DHTML, i know u can becos hav been foolowing up ur post.
Thanks in Anticipation.
Re: Help Please. On Portal by Nobody: 1:40am On Jun 22, 2009
well, you need to do a quick brush up on php, it's not that hard if you know AS.

to get student record, you will require something similar to these.

#########################you can store this in another file, and include it in all ur file requiring db connection, lets name it conn.php
//lets connect to the database
$server="localhost"; //the server hosting mysql database
$username="ur_db_username"; //this is the username allowed by the database to login
$password="ur_db_password"; //the password
$conn=mysql_pconnect ( $server , $username , $password ) or die( mail('ur_active_email','error with sitename.com',mysql_error() )); // my style
#########################

<?php

//first u are getting submissions from users, which u should catch and prolly store in variables
$userId=mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['submitted_userId']);
$userKey=mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['submitted_userKey']);

include("conn.php"wink; //the included file

mysql_select_db('DB_NAME',$conn);
$query="SELECT * FROM tablename where userid_columnName='".$userId."' and userkey_columnName='".$userKey."'";
$result = mysql_query($query);

//next important thing is setting the result out as an associative array, so that when u say $recordset['grade'], u will be refering to the grade colmun
$recordset=mysql_fetch_assoc($result);

?>

all you need  to do is insert the resullt into the pages for students to view.

<html codes>

<?php echo htmlentities($recordset['score']);?>

<more html codes>

<?php echo htmlentities($recordset['grade']);?>

<rest of your codes>

and incase u want to distinguish users sitewide based on what they have submitted earlier, then try using sessions

$_SESSION['userid']=$userId; and that user will be accessible sitewide using that array key.
WARNING: if u intend to use session, make session_start() comes before session usage on every page that requires it, and make sure you did not output anything beffore it's usage.

hope this helps.
if u have any more problems, with this, hit me up on FB
facebook.com/sledjama
Re: Help Please. On Portal by kolitos007: 4:41pm On Jun 22, 2009
slimjo:

sorry i had to ask this way,
I have already built the pages and navigations are in place. MYSQL database in place, but the problem is how to allow individual student check their results from this database with a username (ID) and a password(KEY). am currently using php for my server integration. please help me on this and advice wat i should do.
maybe some one could tell me how to go about allowing this individual student check their results.
Thanks in anticipation

I had to read your post over and over to understand what you are trying to say, I take it you have already created your databases anyway, so don't complicate things for yourself, you could either alter your table by adding username and password to it, or create a different table for your user name and password.

Just create a login section, here is a link to a simple login section http://www.phpeasystep.com/phptu/6.html, then just make sure that the data you show belongs to the user that has logged on using sessions.

If you follow that tutorial it should really guide you, what you are trying is very simple, hope that helps.
Re: Help Please. On Portal by dprince: 6:55pm On Jul 07, 2009
Please Slimjo I need help on how to build a school portal that you have done, I have no problem in making the student log in to check their result what I need to learn is how to create the portal first of all so can you help or is there any body in the house that can help me with tutorial on this
Re: Help Please. On Portal by lojik(m): 8:33pm On Jul 07, 2009
@poster
You shd at least show us ur table(s) or tell us what exactly what u dont know how to do. That way, u can get specific solution for you problems.
If u got ur project database up already and you are able to query and display results, the guide from webdezzi should be what u need.

(1) (Reply)

My Websites Official Nairaland Account Has Been Banned Please Help / Google Plus Inivte / I Want To Learn Software Development

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.