Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,607 members, 7,812,995 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:25 AM

Court Bars FG From Freezing MTN Bank Accounts - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Court Bars FG From Freezing MTN Bank Accounts (19502 Views)

Munched Screen From MMM South Africa After The Freezing / MMM Mavro Freezing Has Been Cancelled / Account Freezing: MMM Reacts To Nigerians' Outbursts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Court Bars FG From Freezing MTN Bank Accounts by nex(m): 6:08pm On Jan 12, 2016
A Federal High Court in Lagos on Tuesday turned down an application of mareva injunction seeking to bar MTN Nigeria Communications Limited from emptying its accounts in 21 commercial banks in Nigeria.

The application had been filed to prevent MTN from boycotting the payment of the N1.04tn fine imposed on it by the Nigerian Communications Commission for its failure to deactivate its unregistered subscribers.
The Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami (SAN), who filed the application on Tuesday, had expressed the fear that MTN could move all its funds out of the country before the N1.04tn fine could be enforced.

He had sought an order directing all the 21 banks to open a special interest-yielding account in the name of the Chief Registrar of the Federal High Court and move N1.04tn out of whatever funds that was standing to MTN’s credit in their possession.

The counsel for the AGF, Mr. Dipo Okpeseyi (SAN), in a 14-paragraph affidavit deposed to by his junior, Steve Nwabueze, had argued that MTN was in the habit of regularly repatriating its funds out of Nigeria.

He noted that between October 2007 and May 2009, a period of 19 months, MTN moved over $7.7bn of the money made in Nigeria to a foreign account.

He further pointed the court’s attention to an instance when in one day, specifically on February 8, 2008, MTN transferred over $936m out of Nigeria to accounts in Mauritius, Cayman Island and British Virgin Island.

“Unless this honourable court urgently entertains this application, the plaintiff/respondent would move its funds out of Nigeria, being the jurisdiction of this honourable court, and thereby frustrate the enforcement of the fine in the likely event that this honourable court sanctions the imposition of the fine,” the AGF’s counsel added.

Okpeseyi maintained that MTN was under an obligation to pay the N1.04tn fine, because it was NCC’s administrative decision, which remained final unless it was reviewed by the commission or nullified by the court.

He said though NCC had earlier given MTN a concession on the fine and reduced it to N780bn, but since MTN had neglected or failed to pay on or before December 31, 2015, the fine remained N1.04tn.

He alleged that instead of taking advantage of the concession MTN resorted to filing a suit in order to buy time, with the hope that it could move all its funds out of Nigeria before the case would be decided.

Okpseyi urged the court to grant the application in the interest of justice to prevent the court’s decision from being rendered nugatory if it went in the favour of NCC and AGF.

But Justice Idris Mohammed turned down the application as he said the AGF had not shown enough facts to prove that MTN was about to empty its bank accounts and move its funds out of the country.
Idris, who noted that the case was sensitive and of public interest, said he would rather urgently hear the case filed by MTN to challenge the fine and give a judgment within a short time.

He, however, made an order for the parties to maintain status quo ante bellum pending the determination of the suit and adjourned till January 22, 2016 for hearing.
MTN had assembled seven Senior Advocates of Nigeria, led by Chief Wole Olanipekun, to challenge the N1.04tn fine imposed on it by NCC.

The company contended that NCC could not act pursuant to Section 70 of its establishment Act to impose the fine on it.

But Malami, who took sides with the NCC and justified the imposed fine, said it was his duty, as the chief law enforcement officer in the country, to ensure that all the laws made by the National Assembly are obeyed.

SOURCE: http://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2016/01/12/court-bars-fg-from-freezing-mtn-bank-accounts
Re: Court Bars FG From Freezing MTN Bank Accounts by Nobody: 6:42pm On Jan 12, 2016
K
Re: Court Bars FG From Freezing MTN Bank Accounts by otobrisesarah(f): 7:43pm On Jan 12, 2016
Really?
Re: Court Bars FG From Freezing MTN Bank Accounts by zico530(m): 7:43pm On Jan 12, 2016
Nija court self dey fear face abi? This is nija where the law is made for the poor and commoners.

8 Likes

Re: Court Bars FG From Freezing MTN Bank Accounts by Nobody: 7:43pm On Jan 12, 2016
Ok...mareva injunction undecided

MTN can repatriate funds to home. Imagine almost $1bn in one day.

MTN sef grin

6 Likes

Re: Court Bars FG From Freezing MTN Bank Accounts by ultrazone(m): 7:44pm On Jan 12, 2016
Ok
Re: Court Bars FG From Freezing MTN Bank Accounts by Nobody: 7:45pm On Jan 12, 2016
MTN......just pay up please.

That is the problem with Nigeria....people refuse to obey the laws....and everyone thinks it is normal.

Well....it ain't.

8 Likes

Re: Court Bars FG From Freezing MTN Bank Accounts by Nobody: 7:45pm On Jan 12, 2016
The Court Understands Better than the Federal Government. Any Shortage in MTN Output will lead to poor tax payable by MTN and result to shortage in Revenue accruable to the Federation account.

If Federal Government is banking on The Liquidated Nitel taking over MTN, They should alow it to operate for at least a year and determine for themselves if it can raise enough revenue as MTN before they can decide to squeeze life out of MTN.

But MTN Knows the truth. Nigeria can not be the same again without MTN. That is why they went ahead to liquidate Visafone even though they have a fine to pay.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Court Bars FG From Freezing MTN Bank Accounts by Tazz22(m): 7:46pm On Jan 12, 2016
is ok
Re: Court Bars FG From Freezing MTN Bank Accounts by Vivipop(f): 7:46pm On Jan 12, 2016
I hope my president obeys court's order this time. Meanwhile, MTN should stop being tricky.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Bars FG From Freezing MTN Bank Accounts by Ecoterrorism(f): 7:46pm On Jan 12, 2016
Buhari budget has gotten another K leg

7 Likes

Re: Court Bars FG From Freezing MTN Bank Accounts by Obidikejr(m): 7:47pm On Jan 12, 2016
Mtn bribed the just like dstv did. What's wrong with our judicial system! We have enough network providers, need more? Create more! Empower individuals to start up! shut this Yello fevers down and let the others learn from them. Over 20 network providers in the US, sms is free, calls are relatively cheap.

Sincerely dunno the jinx this SA guys have over us, or our big men has shares invest in their companies here, cuz I don't see why this guy's will kill us in the name of xenophobia and yet Shoprite, dstv, mtn is still chopping our heads here.

The white man control a vast section of your economy and you choose to blame your fellow black and claim it's xenophobia, what the hell is wrong with Africa and Africans.

25 Likes

Re: Court Bars FG From Freezing MTN Bank Accounts by Geulink: 7:47pm On Jan 12, 2016
Will Buhari obey this court order. There should be no court in this milicivi regime. Infact courts should be scrap out.

3 Likes

Re: Court Bars FG From Freezing MTN Bank Accounts by Ecoterrorism(f): 7:47pm On Jan 12, 2016
Vivipop:
I hope my president obeys court's order this time.
dem no born im papa well

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Bars FG From Freezing MTN Bank Accounts by megamindmaster(m): 7:47pm On Jan 12, 2016
Hey! this is what i call "e don happen ministries international ltd." shocked grin . NCC dey vex o! no wonder MTN no wan let me rest. i dey register my sim every week. when i finish, dem go dey disturb me to register again with 2k free airtime. When your cup full, u go hear am... lol

5 Likes

Re: Court Bars FG From Freezing MTN Bank Accounts by yomalex(m): 7:47pm On Jan 12, 2016
Battle
Re: Court Bars FG From Freezing MTN Bank Accounts by rollUP(m): 7:47pm On Jan 12, 2016
Ggg
Re: Court Bars FG From Freezing MTN Bank Accounts by hizzyairtel(m): 7:48pm On Jan 12, 2016
Ok
Re: Court Bars FG From Freezing MTN Bank Accounts by kennyman2000(m): 7:48pm On Jan 12, 2016
Hmmmm....
Re: Court Bars FG From Freezing MTN Bank Accounts by PrettyClare7(f): 7:48pm On Jan 12, 2016
Owk. I will see how long the substantive suit will last.
Re: Court Bars FG From Freezing MTN Bank Accounts by rafabenitez: 7:48pm On Jan 12, 2016
My holy god,will somebody talk sense into this judge,have MTN nt milked us enof,NCC pls call the presidency,disobey the court order and freeze there accounts immediately,south africa are ugrateful and crooks,imagine,naija don fall hands too much abe.can this thrash happen in there land?

10 Likes

Re: Court Bars FG From Freezing MTN Bank Accounts by sunnymaja(m): 7:49pm On Jan 12, 2016
If anti orruption succeed or fail in Nigeria, it is the lawyers and Judges that are responsible. Period.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Bars FG From Freezing MTN Bank Accounts by ichommy(m): 7:49pm On Jan 12, 2016
I no dey Understand Court at times.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Court Bars FG From Freezing MTN Bank Accounts by Nobody: 7:49pm On Jan 12, 2016
Even while at fault MTN openly operates with impunity. Their lobby-power is very strong for them to frustrate our Federal Government.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Bars FG From Freezing MTN Bank Accounts by josite: 7:50pm On Jan 12, 2016
the court ruling denying the trillion naira lien on mtn's bank accounts by the minister of justice ,to my mind, is a sound ruling as mtn obviously has more than enough assets in Nigeria other than cash to satisfy a trillion naira judgement . a trillion naira fine ,no matter the infraction is an excessive fine.In the realm of company/csr law, fines are not meant to kill a company but to deter it from going over borders.mtn will surely win .
we have asked the government to approach issues with the best of intelligence/wisdom. You cannot impose a trillion naira fine on a company unless the intention is to kill the company.

11 Likes

Re: Court Bars FG From Freezing MTN Bank Accounts by busomma: 7:50pm On Jan 12, 2016
MTN might use every available means to delay the payment of the fine, but it must be paid with interest till the day it's settled. Period.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Bars FG From Freezing MTN Bank Accounts by ichommy(m): 7:50pm On Jan 12, 2016
megamindmaster:
Hey! this is what i call "e don happen ministries international ltd." shocked grin . NCC dey vex o! no wonder MTN no wan let me rest. i dey register my sim every week. when i finish, dem go dey disturb me to register again with 2k free airtime. When your cup full, u go hear am... lol

grin
Re: Court Bars FG From Freezing MTN Bank Accounts by 247notire(m): 7:51pm On Jan 12, 2016
Vivipop:
I hope my president obeys court's order this time. Meanwhile, MTN should stop being tricky.
Lol, nne what would he do? Go and withdraw the money from MTN's accounts himself? Lol...
Re: Court Bars FG From Freezing MTN Bank Accounts by jabatah(m): 7:52pm On Jan 12, 2016
Mtn still think say pdp still dey power. Awon oloshi jati jati. Wey buhari Don calculate their money join budget.

7 Likes

Re: Court Bars FG From Freezing MTN Bank Accounts by CACAWA(m): 7:52pm On Jan 12, 2016
Hmmm...courts
Re: Court Bars FG From Freezing MTN Bank Accounts by Nobody: 7:53pm On Jan 12, 2016
K

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Investment Idea Needed. I Have N3m Idle Fund To Invest. / Nigeria Stock Market Among The Top 5 Global Performers In 2017: CNN / How Profitable Is "Tipper" And How Much Does A Normal Tipper Cost?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.