Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,804 members, 7,851,704 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 06:00 AM

EFCC And The Arms Funds Probe: How Not To Do Investigation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / EFCC And The Arms Funds Probe: How Not To Do Investigation (362 Views)

You Can’t Probe How I Spent Bailout Funds, Fayose Tells Senate / N4.7bn Arms Funds Traced To Obanikoro, Fayose —EFCC / Man Demands The Arrest Of Jonathan At The National Assembly Over The Arms Deal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

EFCC And The Arms Funds Probe: How Not To Do Investigation by Bekwarra(m): 11:18pm On Jan 12, 2016
For a while, I've been following the probe into how the $2.1 billion meant for the procurement of arms to prosecute the war against insurgency was spent with keen interest. No matter my political leanings, I have no soft spot for issues of corruption. I normally allow the law to take its course and reach a logical conclusion instead of passing unnecessary comments as I can't not vouch for ANY politician whenever it comes to the administration of public funds. Irrespective of party leanings, the actions of these kleptomaniacs we call politicians are affecting all of us thus I can never support a corrupt politian and no sane human being should do except those who have sold their soul to the devil.

However I've been forced to break my silence because the pent up anger in me tipped over when I read this news www.nairaland.com/2860596/olisa-metuh-tears-efcc-statement. The news shows for the umpteenth time the unprofessional attitude of our law enforcement agents especially the EFCC in prosecuting corruption cases. It beggars belief and negates commonsense when we are daily inundated with tales from the EFCC and DSS investigation room. We are treated daily with stories emanating from the EFCC about suspects still under investigation. From what a suspects says to how he behaves in detention and what he does in the morning till night. In fact this shameful act has gotten to the stage that we now get pictures of statements that were purportedly written by suspects.

In my humble opinion, this smacks of gross irresponsibility and crass incompetence on the part of the EFCC. What happens to doing discrete but effective investigations? How will supposed professional investigators be deliberately leaking sensitive information to the public? The rate at which this is going, we might soon start getting live feeds on when suspects sleep, what they eat, how they sneeze and yawn. The EFCC should look inwards and search itself for officers that are responsible for this shameful act and punish them appropriately. This behaviour can impede the fight against corruption as it can provide prospective suspects with information of what to expect in the EFCC detention and how to prepare their resistance. But more importantly, it is unnecessarily subjecting suspects to public opprobrium making guilty verdict to be passed on them without even being proven guilty by the courts. It is a sort of emotional trauma for their families and loved ones and besides the right to fair hearing is a fundamental human right entrenched in our constitution.

This shameful act must stop, we don't need to know what a suspect said, the people he mentioned, how he acted in detention, what he ate last night and who they are going for next. We don't need this delirium and dance of shame in the name of investigation. What we need are results; the yam eaters being brought to justice, punished for their wicked and inhuman acts while are yams get returned to the barn.

With how things are going, I'm afraid those calling it a media trial are being justified.

(1) (Reply)

Has EFCC Turned Into A Kidnap Ring Demanding Ransom? / Video: Mothers Of Missing Chibok Girls Crying Heavily As Buhari Disappoints Them / Check Out.the New Introduced Anti Corruption System

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.